I've been noticing....

Options

Replies

• jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm always surprised by how many comments I get in the check out line (from other shoppers) about the "healthy" food I'm buying. Like it's novel. Shouldn't be, but sadly I guess it is. And they don't seem to register the Diet Dr. Pepper as "unhealthy" either. I'll admit it's not the best, but I've gotta have a few vices ;-)
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    WOW I think I can sum up most of the thoughts from this thread with a couple of sentences:

I look at other people's carts and judge them by what they're eating and what their kids are eating. I then feel better about myself for subsequently judging them.

Or, you can look at it with different eyes. I look at other peoples carts and notice a correlation with size and what they choose to eat and am saddened that they have not chosen or do not know how to make better decisions for their family. I used to BE the morbidly obese woman with a cart full of crap food, then I chose to do things differently, and now I am the barely overweight girl with the buggy full of really healthy food and a *little* bit of crap food........ it is not all judgemental. It is a fear. A fear of what some of us used to be. But do you feel better for judging me?

This is really profound, I think. It has a lot of truth in it. I think it's really awesome that you would open up like that. I don't think I was judging anyone in this thread....I didn't put anyone down, nor do I feel better about myself for anything I've said.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is (well not that funny) is that the cart full of processed foods cost less than your cart of fresh good quality produce (in the UK anyways);

I'm not complaining as it's worth the investment but just making the observation... do you notice the same?

That sucks for the UK! It is soooooooo not true in Canada and i'm sure the US and the UK has a much higher population than Canada, guess its an import issue....

For me, If you eat a frozen dinner for dinner thats $3, or 2 (so thats 1200+ cals, eww!) cheap-o nasty Michalina's for $2 total to try and get full but you'll still be hungry due to no protein or fiber and a homemade chicken stir-fry with veggies and brown rice and 1 breast costs $3 too!. I have tried and cannot possibly spend more than $150 a month for 2 of us (and $40 of that is diet pepsi - his vice not mine). Frozen meat is cheaper yes but thats it!

Unfortunately we are overpriced on most life essentials - food, electricity / heating gas, car fuel (massively)...

Sorry off topic a little there :ohwell:

$150.00 a month? That's crazy. I'm in Canada as well, and I even shop at No Frills and only buying healthy food, I spend at least $400.00 / month for 2 1/2 people - my fiancé's son is only with us on weekends.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options

$150.00 a month? That's crazy. I'm in Canada as well, and I even shop at No Frills and only buying healthy food, I spend at least $400.00 / month for 2 1/2 people - my fiancé's son is only with us on weekends.

I hear you! Also Canadian and I have a hard time sticking to $400 for two of us. That being said we do enjoy expensive cheeses sometimes :) But milk is ridiculously priced, Greek yogurt is $5/tub and peanut butter is $7.50 a jar... aie! When I was in Germany a few months ago, a litre of milk was 50 cents. We ate like kings for $10 euros at the grocery store!

ETA: I should also note that my husband will eat a healthy meal that I cook, and then two hours later go and eat another "snack" that is the equivalent of my daily calories. Maybe if I was feeding two people who ate like me the food would last a little longer :)
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is (well not that funny) is that the cart full of processed foods cost less than your cart of fresh good quality produce (in the UK anyways);

I'm not complaining as it's worth the investment but just making the observation... do you notice the same?

Absolutely! Especially if the family eats meat. Processed meat is way cheaper then fresh meat.

Especially chicken and fish! I am trying so hard to cut way back on beef but it is cheaper than fish (which I would prefer to eat more of) :mad:
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I get this, but there are people who can't afford a stove and their apt. "units" only come with or can fit a microwave. Maybe their only choice to lose weight is low calorie food that does not need to be cooked (fruit, veggies raw) and flat out calorie restriction.

My husband and I can are living in a small trailer, so conventional cooking is not an option. It's not an excuse either, so people like us can really just focus on eating less, if not necissarily "better". All though, raw foods like nuts, apples, and carrots are better anyway!

I think you bring up a very valid point. Some people (not all) just do not have the money. They do not have big TV's, and their children are not eating 3 meals a day. They may get ONE meal a day and that is at school. Often these children are very lucky to get the meals they get at school. With the limited budgets yes the food choices may not be the best - but maybe if more people gave (in donations) then different food choices could be made. Just a thought.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You are what you eat. Ain't that the truth? lol :)
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this too, but at the same time, 3 years ago, my cart was ful of junk too, so who am to judge? (though I have ALWAYS bought alot of fruit and veggies)...Some people are on very strict budgets, and some just don't know better....it is sad to see kids who don't know there is food that is not frozen or fast food, or just crap. That being said, I still buy my kids treats, and frozen pizza when the bbaysitter is coming, and I don't care what people think..honestly, I am probbaly more worried about hiding the "bad" food from my hubby :P LOL..when he is on a "eat right" kick, which he has since starting P90X and now Crossfit, he gives me a hard time for ANY junk in my cart :) I guess it keeps me from giving into my pregnancy sweet/fat tooth :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    ive really been noticing latley what people look like compared to what they eat... its redicilous lol like u go for a walk in costco you look on ur right u see a family that are all avarage/lean weight and their cart is full of chicken breast, fish, lean meats, yogurt, fruits n veggies, bread, rice, some cereal and a treat for the kids like 1 box of cookies....

then u look to ur left you see entire family thats obese(feel bad for the kids!!! saddest thing in the world as kids have to suffer because of their parents) what do they have in their cart? 4-5 costco sized bags of chips, couple mags of muffins, huge thing of dip, couple TV dinners, bread, cookies, frozen pizzas.....

that above is exactly how it really kicked in walking through costco n seeing what people look like compared to what they buy and realizing how big of effect nutrition choices make on your body!

really shows u r what you eat!!! used to deliver pizza and same thing... practically every "regular" customer... very over weight...

^^^ This ^^^ is exactly how I began to lose weight and how I shop. So true!!! ^^^
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a grocery store and without even looking at the family, I could usually tell what shapes they would be ...I too felt super bad for the kids who don't have a choice in the matter.
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Funny... I don't recall eating any sexy beast recently.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    While agree with the comments of making wise choices at the grocery and wise choices in what we eat....lets be careful about how judgemental this all sounds. After all, a lot of you have made some super sized mistakes your self or you wouldn't have the weight/eating problems that you have. It sounds like now since you think you have conquered making poor food choices you are better than the people who you are judging. Maybe you don't really feel this way, but in written form, it sure sounds like it.

Everyone has weaknesses or ignorances that need to be corrected....lets be a bit more compassionate to our fellow human being.

Thank you for your comment. It needed to be said.
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    I do notice what people put in their carts, but this thread has made me realize I never really pay attention to their weight. I'm more horrified by the fact that cooking is fast becoming a lost art...no one knows how to cook REAL food anymore. That makes me sad!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

Funny... I don't recall eating any sexy beast recently.

FOR THE WIN :drinker:
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options

Absolutely! Especially if the family eats meat. Processed meat is way cheaper then fresh meat.

Especially chicken and fish! I am trying so hard to cut way back on beef but it is cheaper than fish (which I would prefer to eat more of) :mad:

I went through the same thing. But if you have a membership at a big box store like Sam's and can get their big bags of, say, tilapia filets, it actually comes out pretty inexpensive. I bought a big freezer just so I can do this. It isn't feasible for everyone, but it did help me. It's the first time you fill up the freezer that it is expensive; after that, it doesn't really increase your bill, because you're just replenishing as you normally would. In the long run, it costs you less. Also, I switched to ground turkey breast and things like turkey chops and turkey smoked sausage. It took me a long time to do it, because I don't much like turkey and it seemed yuck. But I finally worked myself up to trying it, and it is really delicious, and costs just about the same as beef (at least in my local supermarket, it does).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Once, my kids pediatrician saw me buying frozen fish sticks for my kids. I was very embarrassed. But we do still eat them on occasion.
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    I wonder if people judge my cart. I do buy frozen pizza and soda (1 12pk a week for hubby). You won't see much produce in my basket, but that is because I buy Bountiful Baskets and don't need to get that stuff at the store.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I'm always surprised by how many comments I get in the check out line (from other shoppers) about the "healthy" food I'm buying. Like it's novel. Shouldn't be, but sadly I guess it is. And they don't seem to register the Diet Dr. Pepper as "unhealthy" either. I'll admit it's not the best, but I've gotta have a few vices ;-)

As a cashier I can say it IS uncommon. Even the skinny people have unhealthy choices in their order. It's very rare I see someone buying only non-processed foods.

For me, processed = bad. That's just how I see it and it's very rare indeed to see people who aren't buying junk.
  • birdieintx
    birdieintx Posts: 298
    Options
    I see plenty of thin people buying junk in the grocery store and that saddens me equally as much. So many of you on this thread have justified buying good food for yourself and junk food for spouses/children/teens because they don't need to lose weight or are skinny whatever. Your health is not always measured by what you weigh.

There was a fascinating article on Yahoo a few weeks ago about a reporter who underwent a fully body diagnostic scan as part of a story. He was in his late 30s, fit, and active. Turns out he had a heart blockage exasperated by his poor eating habits. He justified eating unhealthy foods because he was thin and worked out.

There's just no justification for feeding yourself garbage.
  • dizsolvedgirl
    dizsolvedgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We have my boyfriends daughter every other weekend. I know her Mum tries her best but is not the best cook and defers to high sugar and carb convenience meals all the time.

Luckily she is an active girl and not overweight but sadly her genes could easily change that.

So when she is with us I try and educate her on how to eat better. Encouraging her to eat her proteins and veg first, I’d much rather her get into the habit of scraping her pasta or rice. Even when we are out and stop at a fast food place, I’ve curbed her first choice of going for just French fries to ordering chicken fingers or something that will keep her satisfied longer.