I've been noticing....

Options
123457»

Replies

• becjerami
    becjerami Posts: 80
    Options

You are right though...you are what you eat.

Lol. A friend once said this to a patient in a psychiatric hospital during afternoon tea. The reply was.. 'A fruitcake?', meant quite literally I'm told!
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    WOW I think I can sum up most of the thoughts from this thread with a couple of sentences:

I look at other people's carts and judge them by what they're eating and what their kids are eating. I then feel better about myself for subsequently judging them.

Or, you can look at it with different eyes. I look at other peoples carts and notice a correlation with size and what they choose to eat and am saddened that they have not chosen or do not know how to make better decisions for their family. I used to BE the morbidly obese woman with a cart full of crap food, then I chose to do things differently, and now I am the barely overweight girl with the buggy full of really healthy food and a *little* bit of crap food........ it is not all judgemental. It is a fear. A fear of what some of us used to be. But do you feel better for judging me?

I think you're right. Fear and maybe a little relief. I think most people posting on this thread feel the same way you do. But you gotta admit, if some of those folks you guys were talking about were to log on and read, it would be hurtful to them. And, especially if they log on here out of a desire to change their lives, only to find this kind of reception where they hoped to find support - well, you can imagine.

I doubt anyone's intentions here are bad. But still...

yes it would. And it was when that was me. And, eventually, I found truth in that pain and made changes. If a person is here for help and support, most of us all would welcome them and offer support and congratuations.
  • becjerami
    Options
    I do notice what people put in their carts, but this thread has made me realize I never really pay attention to their weight. I'm more horrified by the fact that cooking is fast becoming a lost art...no one knows how to cook REAL food anymore. That makes me sad!
    This! I only really notice when people are buying LOADS of crap food, but I don't really notice their weight unless they are eye-poppingly huge. I have noticed faces sometimes though and that they look malnourished.
  • becjerami
    Options
    I see plenty of thin people buying junk in the grocery store and that saddens me equally as much. So many of you on this thread have justified buying good food for yourself and junk food for spouses/children/teens because they don't need to lose weight or are skinny whatever. Your health is not always measured by what you weigh.

There was a fascinating article on Yahoo a few weeks ago about a reporter who underwent a fully body diagnostic scan as part of a story. He was in his late 30s, fit, and active. Turns out he had a heart blockage exasperated by his poor eating habits. He justified eating unhealthy foods because he was thin and worked out.

There's just no justification for feeding yourself garbage.
    So true! When I notice people buying rubbish my thoughts generally run to how bad that is for you, rather than how fat that might make you.

On another note, it's really very easy to be overweight on a healthy diet. That's how I put on weight - healthy food, just too much of it and not enough exercise. Healthy food does not necessarily equal skinny.

And I agree with the poster who commented about feeling sad over cooking becoming a lost art. I cannot believe how many people seem to live off supermarket ready meals. I've probably eaten about 2 in my whole life and that was out of pure desperation!
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I notice the contents of people's shopping carts as well. Some people apparently never cook anything that can't be prepared in a microwave.

Yup. This is what grosses me out. You can have healthy-looking people who don't necessarily eat well, and unhealthy-looking people who seem to eat well, but the idea of not being able to cook and not having an active role in your food preparation makes it more likely that you will eat unhealthily.
    I know several people who pride themselves on their homecooked meals, but when they're stuffed with half a log of Velveeta cheese and a bunch of butter or sour cream and little to no vegetables... well, that's just as bad too!
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sad but true... and my kids dont get why I wont buy them lunchables...Oh hell no!

Lunchables are so unhealthy! My daughter asks for them a lot and I think in her 9 years, I've bought them maybe 5 times. They're gross, too.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    One of my 1st times at Trader Joe's I noticed everyone (almost everyone) was pretty fit.

My sister and brother in law are one of those Costco Shoppers. It's very sad because they are extremely overweight.
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    While agree with the comments of making wise choices at the grocery and wise choices in what we eat....lets be careful about how judgemental this all sounds. After all, a lot of you have made some super sized mistakes your self or you wouldn't have the weight/eating problems that you have. It sounds like now since you think you have conquered making poor food choices you are better than the people who you are judging. Maybe you don't really feel this way, but in written form, it sure sounds like it.

Everyone has weaknesses or ignorances that need to be corrected....lets be a bit more compassionate to our fellow human being.

This. Well said. We all learn from either our mistakes or mistakes other people have made. Lets hope that people learn to eat healthy and take care of themselves and their kids before its too late. We all had to start somewhere
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

$150.00 a month? That's crazy. I'm in Canada as well, and I even shop at No Frills and only buying healthy food, I spend at least $400.00 / month for 2 1/2 people - my fiancé's son is only with us on weekends.

I hear you! Also Canadian and I have a hard time sticking to $400 for two of us. That being said we do enjoy expensive cheeses sometimes :) But milk is ridiculously priced, Greek yogurt is $5/tub and peanut butter is $7.50 a jar... aie! When I was in Germany a few months ago, a litre of milk was 50 cents. We ate like kings for $10 euros at the grocery store!

ETA: I should also note that my husband will eat a healthy meal that I cook, and then two hours later go and eat another "snack" that is the equivalent of my daily calories. Maybe if I was feeding two people who ate like me the food would last a little longer :)

Yea Greek Yogurt is the worst in Canada compared to the US easily double the price as you mentioned, $5. Peanut butter always goes on sale and with a hubby who loves it I never pay more than $2 for 1kg (Kraft) and that included the natural version, 750g.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Yea Greek Yogurt is the worst in Canada compared to the US easily double the price as you mentioned, $5. Peanut butter always goes on sale and with a hubby who loves it I never pay more than $2 for 1kg (Kraft) and that included the natural version, 750g.

I try to buy the non-brand name kind and if it's on sale it's still $5. Then again it could be where I'm living... my parents always get better deals in the suburbs than I do!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I really hate to see a Mommy's shopping cart full of soft drinks....my pet peeve is to see a bunch of Mountain Dew in a cart that I know kids will consume. It's so bad for their teeth, makes them hyper and sets them up to be overweight.....I could go on and on about this topic.

I feel the same way about my mom and little brothers. /: She drinks diet soda, always has, but didn't bring us up on it! I would have been so much better off as a kid being given diet Pepsi. Definitely doing this with my kids.
    Thats too bad she didnt give you diet instead of regular..I let my kids have some of my diet pepsi if they ask as a treat though. I also am teaching my daughter and sons what is healthy and whats not (she loves chocolate though) I see a lot of this: overweight child ,skinny , skinny mother and I wonder what is going on? Parents dont cook as much as they used to, I love home cooked meals and its a lot cheaper , I think thats part of the reason for childhood obesity- frozen, quick meals
    Diet soda may have artificial sugar but unless your a "clean eater" who cares...its better than tons of sugar that WILL rot your kids teeth and make them dependent on it. Its a treat for me and my kids very rarely will get regular soda
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    ...I have tried and cannot possibly spend more than $150 a month for 2 of us (and $40 of that is diet pepsi - his vice not mine).

$150.00 a month? That's crazy. I'm in Canada as well, and I even shop at No Frills and only buying healthy food, I spend at least $400.00 / month for 2 1/2 people - my fiancé's son is only with us on weekends.
    [/quote]

Yea many people on MFP have asked me about that so I made a list up almost a year ago. It hasn't changed by much, veggies will change based on taste/sale but otherwise... problem is MFP deleted old mail, wasn't able to locate it in hotmail but I may find it at home somewhere when I have the time. I keep track of groceries monthly just as a hobby since people always say eating healthy costs more and monthly for the past year I've been at $100-$170 a month which includes Christmas entertaining (meals not alcohol) and the rate dinner party, woo!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Sad but true... and my kids dont get why I wont buy them lunchables...Oh hell no!

Lunchables are so unhealthy! My daughter asks for them a lot and I think in her 9 years, I've bought them maybe 5 times. They're gross, too.
    All kids want them!!! I only will buy the cheese and cracker one sometimes because its only 1.25. Of course Im not eating them anymore...But yeah they are pure crap and taste like crap! How could any kid get full from a few crackers and a teenie candy bar??
  • heathersmilez
    Options

I try to buy the non-brand name kind and if it's on sale it's still $5. Then again it could be where I'm living... my parents always get better deals in the suburbs than I do!

I think greek yogurt stays the same but if you are in the city i.e. Toronto yes it is brutal that you are 'stuck' with Longos and Loblaws only - they have the highest prices and one pet peve of mine is it is next to impossible to buy cases of pop - no one in the city buys them as per all the Shoppers’ stores I went to since its heavy, hogwash! Anyway, Shoppers at Bay and Adelaide Centre has them! I work in the downtown core :)
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think greek yogurt stays the same but if you are in the city i.e. Toronto yes it is brutal that you are 'stuck' with Longos and Loblaws only - they have the highest prices and one pet peve of mine is it is next to impossible to buy cases of pop - no one in the city buys them as per all the Shoppers’ stores I went to since its heavy, hogwash! Anyway, Shoppers at Bay and Adelaide Centre has them! I work in the downtown core :)

I live in Montreal and we don't have a car, so most of our groceries are done in bits and pieces at the stores within walking distance. While there are some great places to go get specific items like fruits or veggies, the other stores around me are really overpriced. It is annoying!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I don't typically notice other people, but I am proud of my cart now with veggies, fruit, yogurt, and a wheat bread.

Nice.
    I mind my own business when I am grocery shopping too.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that too but people probably think the same of me when I'm shopping. I buy my 'healthy' stuff but then I also buy frozen pizza, chips, cookies, etc for my husband because he can eat whatever he wants and not gain weight. Yeah its not the best but he likes it and he's very fit so I can't tell him he can't have it. Same with my daughter. At 12 she weighs 80 lbs. Both of them have no problem keeping weight off while I struggle with it daily. So unfair!

I hear this. My husband has never eaten healthy and when our boys were little and I fixed healthy meals he always had junk after. :yawn: Then the boys grew up left home and now keep in shape. My husband doesn't want the good stuff. So we buy for him and for me. We have been over and over the pros and cons of eating healthy and I guess he is fine with what he does. I live to eat and he eats to live. Having healthy food and the junk in the house hasn't done me any good so now with his eating habits the way they are he is kind enough to keep goodies out of the house so I am not tempted.:drinker: He works in his garage a lot and puts the goodies in the freezer or cupboard out there. He is 4 years older than me and is very fit. :heart:

That being said. I hope you never see my shopping basket. You would be shaking your head.:blushing:
  • Munque
    Munque Posts: 123
    Options
    I just want to say, I have one overweight child, and 5 who are skinny, skinny. I am slightly overweight, but working on it and my husband is super skinny and fit. I have never let my children eat candy, cakes, pies, chips, drink sodas or koolaid liberally. My one overweight child has a beer gut, got it when she was 8, just like her father did, and I assume it will go away when she gets taller, just like her fathers did. I go home after work every night and cook a healthy meal, our schools buy everything that they can locally (i live in a farming town) and they have very healthy lunches, high carb, on purpose, because children have so much energy and the carbs keep them going.

We, especially recently, are a on the go family. We are remodling our house and the kids are all in there helping, we work on the house every night after work, homework and dinner and we are tired, ALL THE TIME. But it's fun too, at the same time.

So after we are done (hopefully next weekend) my husband and I are going on a weekend to get messages and sit in hot mineral springs to relax and detox. And the following weekend I plan to give the kids a movie party. When we have a movie party, we watch movies all day and eat snacks all day. There will be healthy food there, veggies and dips and I make little low fat english muffin pizza's, more for me than for the kids. But I will also have chips and some pizza rolls and some pigs in a blanket and probably something sweet, cookies or little cupcakes or something, jalepeno poppers with bacon, and some other not so healthy food.

We do movie parties after big projects (once a year usually) and for Halloween and for New years. So what some of you are saying is that if you saw me and my overweight daughter at the store on the day we are shopping for this stuff, that you will decide that I'm a bad mother and feel sorry for my kids? But your not being judgmental? Don't get me wrong, I could care less about what anybody thinks of me, or my kids, because I know better than to allow someone else's wrong opinion affect me. I'm just calling out the hypocrites that say they aren't being judgemental. I understand if you work in a grocery store and see the same people repeatedly buying junk and giving their dirty kids cheetos and pop, yeah, maybe you have a leg to stand on, but seeing someone in passing at Costco? Come on.