How many women on here are lifting weights????????

Options

Replies

• jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Marking
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    My favorite parts? The half squats, the "deadlifts", and how he said that if it was too hard to only use half ROM. :laugh:
    i was just coming back after watching that to comment that the squats were horrible >.> i have to admit i watched without sound because my speakers dont work, so didnt even realize those were deadlifts - i thought they were doing a barbell row

Haha. Yeah, they apparently transitioned from rows to "deadlifts". I had to replay that part to make sure that was what they actually called them. You really need to watch it with sound to fully appreciate it. Brought the lulz. Also, the comment on not using full range of motion was at the end when they were doing front raises.

Well, to play the Devil's Advocate, they ARE kind of doing Romanian Deadlifts (albeit with a very short ROM, but RDLs don't require you to go insanely deep).
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    My favorite parts? The half squats, the "deadlifts", and how he said that if it was too hard to only use half ROM. :laugh:
    i was just coming back after watching that to comment that the squats were horrible >.> i have to admit i watched without sound because my speakers dont work, so didnt even realize those were deadlifts - i thought they were doing a barbell row

Haha. Yeah, they apparently transitioned from rows to "deadlifts". I had to replay that part to make sure that was what they actually called them. You really need to watch it with sound to fully appreciate it. Brought the lulz. Also, the comment on not using full range of motion was at the end when they were doing front raises.

Well, to play the Devil's Advocate, they ARE kind of doing Romanian Deadlifts (albeit with a very short ROM, but RDLs don't require you to go insanely deep).

I agree but they still need to be more than just under the patella.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is fine! A pound of muscle and a pound of fat are each a pound. A pound is a pound! But a pound of muscle looks better and is healthier than a pound of fat! AND muscle helps to burn fat, so it's all the better!

The problem people have with strength training and weighing more is usually 1 of 2 situations - either they don't have a lot of fat to lose anymore so they are just gaining muscle, OR they have a lot to lose but aren't dieting and doing cardio so are just adding muscle weight to their fat weight without it making much difference.

As far as the weights you are lifting goes, don't worry about pushing yourself to lift heavier weights all the time - if you're hoping to look fit but not like some body builder, doing smaller weights will work just fine to help tone your arms and will help you to avoid potential injuries with heavier weights. In fact, some strength training programs focus on you using your own weight (push-ups and pull-ups for example). Never do more than you're comfortable with.

My last bit of advice is to mix up your cardio exercises and space out your strength trainings so your muscles have a chance to heal in between different exercises, and most importantly for losing weight, be sure to keep your calories in check. :)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

ill have to borrow hubbys PC and take a listen after i go do my lifting for the night ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for health/fitness professionals who may be reading this thread. At what level does the body have enough testosterone to start bulking up rather than simply toning up? I know the maximum end of the normal range for women is about 70ng/dL, and the minimum end of the normal range for men is around 300ng/dL. But 70ng/dL-300ng/dL is a HUGE gap in the difference between "normal" levels for men and women. Surely, the body doesn't require as much as 300ng/dL to start bulk up? I'm asking because, as I mentioned in a previous comment, I have PCOS which causes low estrogen levels and high testosterone levels. I'm thinking about having my levels tested now and after I reach my goal weight to see how much they improve after drastic weight loss. I know my testoserone is high...that's a given. However, I'd like to know if it's high enough to affect my muscle mass. I hope this makes sense....I know what I'm trying to ask, I just don't know if I've clearly expressed it here.
    "Bulking" happens on calorie surplus and not on calorie deficit. If you looked more "bulky" it's because of water in the muscle cell and higher water retention. It eventually subsides, but many females tend to quit lifting when they see a "bulkier" them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If you lift reasonable amounts of weight, like they advise you to do in the Body Pump, Group Power, and similar classes, you won't have to worry about bulking up too much. I've been doing that for about 3 years, and have not had any problems looking too muscular.

Just avoid extreme, heavy lifting like some of those Crossfit women do, and you should be fine.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxC8rm_eQzT5u6mTTEwkhzg-LZOSziQIbMBNk_8j--9oGr7RjfRw

You are so right. Who would ever want to look like this? I will totally avoid lifting heavy weights now. /sarcasm

ETA: This is Tianna Ta, a bikini competitor. She lifts heavy.
    Yeah, me likes Tianna.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If you lift reasonable amounts of weight, like they advise you to do in the Body Pump, Group Power, and similar classes, you won't have to worry about bulking up too much. I've been doing that for about 3 years, and have not had any problems looking too muscular.
    You won't really get much from any of those classes but muscle endurance which is not the same as "toned up" muscle.
    Just avoid extreme, heavy lifting like some of those Crossfit women do, and you should be fine.
    Lol, Crossfit women must be to muscular.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    People can lift heavy if they want, but you really don't have to lift heavy to get the benefits of strength training.
    Wrong. To increase strength you have to increase resistance. If you lift LESS than what the muscle can handle, it doesn't get stronger. Heavy is dependent to each person. Where curling 100lbs on barbell is heavy for me, 30lbs might be heavy for a female for the same amount of reps.
    But again, you increase strength by overloading the muscle. THERE IS NO DISAGREEMENT ON THIS in any organization that deals in fitness/exercise physiology/kinesiology etc.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nursegnet
    nursegnet Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Great Topic!
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I lift weights with a trainer 3 days a week. My advice...Don't worry about the scale. Go by how you feel and how your clothes are fitting. I only lost 2 pounds during the past 4 weeks and none in the past 2 weeks but when I had my measurements done at the gym the first of the month, I had lost a total of 8.5 inches in one month. I lost 3 inches just off my waist. My clothes are fitting better and I look and feel better.

A lot of people tell you that muscle weighs more than fat and yes, a pound is a pound. A pound of iron and a pound of steel both weigh a pound. The difference is in the density of the material and the amount of material it takes to achieve that pound. It takes much less muscle to acheive that pound than it does fat. So while you may not be seeing a change in that number, your body is going to appear slimmer because that fat is being replaced with denser, leaner muscle.

The other benefit to lifting weights is that muscle burns up more calories. By increasing your muscle mass, you will burn more calories doing absolutely nothing than you would if you didn't have that muscle and instead had fat. Burn more calories, lose more weight.

You aren't going to bulk up unless you start shooting up steroids so don't worry about that. Do lighter weights and more reps (15-20 x 3 sets) You will not only tone muscle but you will also burn fat at the same time. There's a reason why Strength Exercises (weight lifting) is listed under cardio exercises on the diarys.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxC8rm_eQzT5u6mTTEwkhzg-LZOSziQIbMBNk_8j--9oGr7RjfRw

You are so right. Who would ever want to look like this? I will totally avoid lifting heavy weights now. /sarcasm

ETA: This is Tianna Ta, a bikini competitor. She lifts heavy.

Ahhhh! Hideous weight lifting monster!!! Burn it with fire! Freaky bulky muscles everywhere.
    Bet she is feeling like an idiot for not listening to all those old style trainers telling her to lift light and with high reps.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You aren't going to bulk up unless you start shooting up steroids so don't worry about that. Do lighter weights and more reps (15-20 x 3 sets) You will not only tone muscle but you will also burn fat at the same time. There's a reason why Strength Exercises (weight lifting) is listed under cardio exercises on the diarys.
    Disagree on the reps unless you're shooting for muscle endurance. Conditioning muscle and increasing strength is more optimal at about 8 reps.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Ive been lifting heavy for a month and I can see my body changing shape. My waist is emerging! It's wonderful to see!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    me
  • freaksfitness
    Options
    Making fun of women who don't lift is silly, yes. But also spreading fear about "bulking up" to uninformed and misinformed women in regard to lifting is negligent. I wish I'd started lifting in my teens. It sucks that society teaches women not to lift heavy, that it'll hurt them, that it'll bulk them up... if more women would lift societal norms would shift to reflect the new "norm" for the female physique.

And I am willing to bet the younger chicks are going to get sick and f'ing tired of starving themselves to death and wasting away to model-thin nothingness. It's unattractive, men don't like it... and squats make your *kitten* look like a million bucks.

I agree with every single word.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think posting pictures of women who happen not to bulk up is especially helpful, as they aren't relevant to those of us who do.

I don't lift heavy weights. I do circuit training, which includes 30 or so press ups, lightish weights (10 lbs doing lat exercises, things like that) and a fair bit of resistance band work, but I don't belong to a gym and certainly don't lift free weights.

However, I have considerable arm and shoulder muscles. Larger than I think most women on here are aiming for.

So it depends on what you are aiming, for, and on your body type. I would love to be one of those women who looks smooth and lovely when they do weight training, but I'm not.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I don't think posting pictures of women who happen not to bulk up is especially helpful, as they aren't relevant to those of us who do.

So you're a hormonal abnormality then?

You don't 'bulk up' What is happening is your muscles are retaining water after being challenged and APPEAR to look bigger. They're not actually bigger. There's also a layer of fat over them which makes your muscles appear bigger.

It is NOT POSSIBLE for women to 'bulk up' The women whose pictures are being used are women who are eating 3000 calories a day and lifting twice their body weight. And they work VERY VERY hard to get the muscles we can see. You're claiming that you are achieving what they are in a calorie deficit and lifting small weights? I call BS. As stated above it's simply not possible unless you are a hormonal abnormality. If you were, you would not be menstruating, you would have hair all over your body. You would have no breasts. You would have a penis because you would be a man.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some women that do extremely heavy lifting, such as the Crossfit women, DO bulk up, as in the photo linked below.

20110731-110731_0078_Watermarked.jpg

I do not want to look like her.

But if you lift in a moderate weight range, you should never have that problem.

I think she's hawt.

I think she looks incredible.

I'd also be interested to see how she looks when she's not completely flexed and straining. I bet no one would say, "Ew! Too many muscles!"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd also be interested to see how she looks when she's not completely flexed and straining. I bet no one would say, "Ew! Too many muscles!"

Good video to demonstrate the difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jdyILCFhKA
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!