How many women on here are lifting weights????????

Options

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    People can lift heavy if they want, but you really don't have to lift heavy to get the benefits of strength training.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    People can lift heavy if they want, but you really don't have to lift heavy to get the benefits of strength training.

Actually, that's when you get the most benefit. One of the biggest mobility concerns later in life for women is osteoporosis. Strength training with heavy weights increases bone density as well as strengthening the supporting joints and ligaments, which will help fight this and keep your mobility much later in life.
  • Health_Gal
    Options

Actually, that's when you get the most benefit. One of the biggest mobility concerns later in life for women is osteoporosis. Strength training with heavy weights increases bone density as well as strengthening the supporting joints and ligaments, which will help fight this and keep your mobility much later in life.

Nope, you don't have to lift heavy to get a lot of benefit. Heavy lifting is for those who want to see how far they can push their body -- and doing so greatly increases the risk of injury. If you get injured lifting, you won't be able to lift at all for a while.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

Nope, you don't have to lift heavy to get a lot of benefit. Heavy lifting is for those who want to see how far they can push their body -- and doing so greatly increases the risk of injury. If you get injured lifting, you won't be able to lift at all for a while.

Heavy lifting is for those that want the benefits of it. And there are different ones. People who are trying to gain or preserve muscle are only going to get so far in a Body Pump class. The same goes for anyone trying to gain raw strength.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Ok so, as many women i am one of those that is scared to be lifting weights due to i'm afraid of bulking up. I have however been giving it a go for the past two weeks but even though i have been i'm still freaking myself out about it. I'm so worried about the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" deal! I want to see the number on the scale DROP not increase!! Anyways, i'd love to hear different things about lifting weights and if possible see pictures of women who have used strength training to help them to achieve their goals. I'm so... confused when it comes to strength training. Confused and very nervous about getting big instead of skinny and toned. HELP ME PLEASE UNDERSTAND!!! :) Thanks to all who respond ahead of time :)

I lift weights for 30 minutes 3 times a week.
    You're not a guy..so therefore..you aren't going to "bulk up". That only happens to women who are SERIOUS BODY BUILDERS!
    Doing strength training actually burns MORE calories after you're done, than cardio. You should be doing 45 minutes to an hour of cardio each day, and 2-3 days of added strength training.
    Women need to do strength training to keep our bones healthy as well.
    The reason muscle weighs more than fat, is because it is more dense, and takes up less space...where as fat is squishy, and takes up more space!
    The scale will go down, once your body starts to build muscle. Don't get discouraged if it fluctuates up and down. That happens when you are building muscle.
    Start drinking a good whey protein (www.dymatize.com) after each workout to help your muscles repair quickly!
    Talk to a trainer...I guarantee they'll tell you the same thing I just did! Women don't "bulk up"...they tone up!
    Would you rather lose all your weight, and look sick? Or start putting on a small amount of healthy muscle, and look hot?
    Me...I think I'll take the latter!!!
    By the way............strength training is going to help you lose inches! It did to me!!
    I also drink a protein shake 3 times a day: after I get up..after my workout..right before bed!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I do Group Power, a Body Pump-type class 2 or 3 times a week, and I like the way I feel and look. I have better muscle tone than I did before I started lifting, but I don't look like a female body builder, which is fine with me.

Here's an instructional video of a Group Power class from BTS:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHvMNPxOiSM

Body Pump classes do meet most women's strength training needs. Unless someone has terrible form or a pre-existing injury, or goes completely overboard with the weights in a class like that, there is little chance of getting injured.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Ok so, as many women i am one of those that is scared to be lifting weights due to i'm afraid of bulking up. I have however been giving it a go for the past two weeks but even though i have been i'm still freaking myself out about it. I'm so worried about the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" deal! I want to see the number on the scale DROP not increase!! Anyways, i'd love to hear different things about lifting weights and if possible see pictures of women who have used strength training to help them to achieve their goals. I'm so... confused when it comes to strength training. Confused and very nervous about getting big instead of skinny and toned. HELP ME PLEASE UNDERSTAND!!! :) Thanks to all who respond ahead of time :)

You can't bulk without steroids and can hardly add much muscle whilst in a calorie deficit. ps a pound equals a pound, muscle is just denser.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Unless someone has terrible form or a pre-existing injury, or goes completely overboard with the weights in a class like that, there is little chance of getting injured.
    funny - its as if youre explaining heavy lifting there.
    oh wait! you are
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Some women that do extremely heavy lifting, such as the Crossfit women, DO bulk up, as in the photo linked below.

20110731-110731_0078_Watermarked.jpg

I do not want to look like her.

But if you lift in a moderate weight range, you should never have that problem.

I think she's hawt.

As do I! I actually watched the competition, looked in the mirror, and screamed MOTHER$*@^#%!! I think people define "bulky" VERY differently. Bulky= Incredible Hulk. Crossfit women= BAMF!!

Addition: I have ZERO lifting experience, a history of back injury, and recently started heavy lifting. If injury were as common as one of the posters describes, I'd be a PRIME CANDIDATE to be ****ed up. My strength is progressing nicely, I watch my form, and I FEEL GREAT!! Better than I've felt in my life.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I do Group Power, a Body Pump-type class 2 or 3 times a week, and I like the way I feel and look. I have better muscle tone than I did before I started lifting, but I don't look like a female body builder, which is fine with me.

Here's an instructional video of a Group Power class from BTS:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHvMNPxOiSM

Body Pump classes do meet most women's strength training needs. Unless someone has terrible form or a pre-existing injury, or goes completely overboard with the weights in a class like that, there is little chance of getting injured.

My favorite parts? The half squats, the "deadlifts", and how he said that if it was too hard to only use half ROM. :laugh:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    My favorite parts? The half squats, the "deadlifts", and how he said that if it was too hard to only use half ROM. :laugh:
    i was just coming back after watching that to comment that the squats were horrible >.> i have to admit i watched without sound because my speakers dont work, so didnt even realize those were deadlifts - i thought they were doing a barbell row
  • CTK3989
    CTK3989 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I love lifting weight and I'm still losing weight, losing body fat, and gaining muscle. I just came across this article about a woman whole gained 16 lbs, lost 7% of her body fat, and looks leaner than before.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/katie-added-16lbs-shed-7-percent-body-fat-sculpt-healthy-figure.htm?welcome=true
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    do it!!!!!!!!!!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    If you want to lift heavy, go ahead. But lifting heavy is certainly not everyone's thing, and it's not one of my goals.

Making fun of women that don't want to lift heavy is counterproductive. If you really care about their health, you should be glad they are lifting at all, as the idea of weight lifting is relatively new to many women.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    i was just coming back after watching that to comment that the squats were horrible >.> i have to admit i watched without sound because my speakers dont work, so didnt even realize those were deadlifts - i thought they were doing a barbell row

Haha. Yeah, they apparently transitioned from rows to "deadlifts". I had to replay that part to make sure that was what they actually called them. You really need to watch it with sound to fully appreciate it. Brought the lulz. Also, the comment on not using full range of motion was at the end when they were doing front raises.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I lift some weights on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays...Thursdays are my heavier day..I use a 27 pound body bar in my classes on Mondays and Wednesdays :)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    If you want to lift heavy, go ahead. But lifting heavy is certainly not everyone's thing, and it's not one of my goals.

Making fun of women that don't want to lift heavy is counterproductive. If you really care about their health, you should be glad they are lifting at all, as the idea of weight lifting is relatively new to many women.

I don't care if you don't want to lift heavy, but do yourself a favor, do some research on what a squat really is. Whether you're doing just bodyweight or you're a Super-Heavyweight Powerlifter, cheating yourself out of the full range of motion of an exercise isn't going to do you any favors. In fact, it will mess up your knees when it comes to squats.
  • Health_Gal
    Options

I love lifting weight and I'm still losing weight, losing body fat, and gaining muscle. I just came across this article about a woman whole gained 16 lbs, lost 7% of her body fat, and looks leaner than before.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/katie-added-16lbs-shed-7-percent-body-fat-sculpt-healthy-figure.htm?welcome=true

To me, that girl looks much healthier in the "before" photo. 16% body fat is too low to be healthy, especially for a teenager that's still growing.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Making fun of women who don't lift is silly, yes. But also spreading fear about "bulking up" to uninformed and misinformed women in regard to lifting is negligent. I wish I'd started lifting in my teens. It sucks that society teaches women not to lift heavy, that it'll hurt them, that it'll bulk them up... if more women would lift societal norms would shift to reflect the new "norm" for the female physique.

And I am willing to bet the younger chicks are going to get sick and f'ing tired of starving themselves to death and wasting away to model-thin nothingness. It's unattractive, men don't like it... and squats make your *kitten* look like a million bucks.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I have started weight lifting again. When I started last time it did take a few weeks before it seemed to help in terms of losing. It helped me out of a plateau. I made the mistake you are making several, several years back. If I had kept up the weight training I don't think I would be here now. I decided I didn't want to turn my big stomach into muscle after having my 2 children. I wanted to get rid of it first. Wrong! I would have gotten rid of it easier if I had continued. It helps you lose weight. It is really hard to bulk up if you are a woman. You have to do much more than simply weight train. You need to be trying very hard in the right way to do it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!