Swine Flu

Options

Replies

• heather93277
    Options
    Just my opinion but I'm not going to make light or fun at anything that people are suffering and passing away from.:huh:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks :smile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    all propaganda

proceed with your normal daily lives

Dave this may be a first... but I completely agree with you.

That may be the case, but still doesn't hurt anything to be sure to wash hands and such :wink:

I wash my hands anyway...don't you?

Uh....NO. Am I supposed to??

It's a flu bug......just like any other flu bug that people get. It's not even the swine flu anymore. It's mutated into something else called the N1H1 Virus. Swine flu just sounds better for the media.

I say.....skip politeness and stay clean.
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options
    I was just making light of the situation, i did not mean to offend anyone.

Also do your research people and stop listening to the media! THis certain strain H1N1 has been around for a very very long time only it was mutated in another for, anyone ever heard of the avian flu? Biologists have been predicting this for a long time coming now. And more people die from cancer, smoking, car accidents, diabetes etc. every year.

So again wash your hands and go about your day
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Don't Worry

Be Happy

( I just made that up too)
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Don't Worry

Be Happy

( I just made that up too)
    You're a dork! LOL
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options
    HE HE HE Dave you crack me up :laugh:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion but I'm not going to make light or fun at anything that people are suffering and passing away from.:huh:

Now, now-- settle down-- nobody's making light of suffering, merely the mass hysteria that the media thrives on.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    WHO WANTS KOOL-AID?????

better get it before its all gone

No Kool-aid for me thanks. I'll drink my water plain. :laugh: :laugh:
  • heather93277
    Options
    WHO WANTS KOOL-AID?????

I wasn't going to address this but it's really bothering me...

I did NOT start this thread to give a platform for racial remarks and snide comments when there are REAL people affected by this sickness. Are you proud of yourself for making such a comment?

I'm not an idiot. I know there are other people dying ALL OVER the world on this very day, in this very moment. Point made. Bravo.

My point in starting this topic was express my concern that a school has been shut down in my city because 2 children are very ill (and probably more), and that it was a reminder for me (and many others, by the way) to be sure we are taking every measure to protect ourselves and our kids from getting this or any other flu that may be circulating. I was trying to be kind in offering a reminder to all.

I would be ashamed of myself if I were some of you.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    racial? did I miss something

what was "racial"?
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    WHO WANTS KOOL-AID?????

I wasn't going to address this but it's really bothering me...

I did NOT start this thread to give a platform for racial remarks and snide comments when there are REAL people affected by this sickness. Are you proud of yourself for making such a comment?

I'm not an idiot. I know there are other people dying ALL OVER the world on this very day, in this very moment. Point made. Bravo.

My point in starting this topic was express my concern that a school has been shut down in my city because 2 children are very ill (and probably more), and that it was a reminder for me (and many others, by the way) to be sure we are taking every measure to protect ourselves and our kids from getting this or any other flu that may be circulating. I was trying to be kind in offering a reminder to all.

I would be ashamed of myself if I were some of you.
    I am concerned too.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

just want to clarify that I am NOT making light of the swine flu. I simply think it's being blown way out of proportion. WAY out of proportion.
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options
    I agree where did the Racial come into play?

How about let's be concerned for all the people that are ill right now? Its the flu! It's ridiculous what mass hysteria from the media can do.

As I have said before wash your hands and quit playing into the media's propaganda. Do scientific research before everyone freaks out (oh and yes I have done scientific research, my undergrad degree is in animal science and my minor thesis was on the avian flu)
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    all propaganda

That may be the case, but still doesn't hurt anything to be sure to wash hands and such :wink:

It's a flu bug......just like any other flu bug that people get. It's not even the swine flu anymore. It's mutated into something else called the N1H1 Virus. Swine flu just sounds better for the media.

Ummm... The N1H1 name is just describing the type of proteins that coat the flu virus, so it is the same virus as the "Swine flu." The Spanish Flu was also a type of N1H1 virus, but the viruses mutate very quickly, so this current flu virus is not the same as that particular N1H1 virus.

The reason this virus is getting so much attention is because it is a type of flu virus that has never been seen before, and therefore our bodies do not have any immune memory to help ourselves kill the virus. The scariest thing about this type of flu is that the immune systems of the healthy population that normal gets over the flu very quickly overreact and kill them.

Just so you all know, I'm a graduating biology major and all of my professors and such are very worried about this virus and have good reason to be. I don't think it's getting too much media attention at all. I just wish more people were actually educated about what the hell a flu virus is before they start talking about it as if they do.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    During WWI, an influenza virus killed over 600,000 Americans in less than a year--more than the war itself. It's not even something you read about in most history books. It killed the young healthy people.

Doctors couldn't figure out how to treat it because it was viral, and their microscopes weren't powerful enough to see the viruses that are many times smaller than bacteria.

Nothing really changed. Toward the end, people were told to wear flimsy masks. They still spread it by having rallies and sending soldiers overseas in cramped vessels. About 500,000 Europeans died as well.

There was no Tami-Flu. No knowledge of transmission. No handwashing guidelines. So yes, I think that, in light of the WWI flu pandemic, this is being blown out of proportion. We know to wash our hands, keep them out of our faces, and seek medical help. We have Tami Flu to make recovery easier. The media sensationalizes what it wants to.
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    all propaganda

100% agreement. There are way worse things out there.
  • Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146
    Options
    we have nothing to fear but fear itself

(I just made that up)

GENIOUS! Im gonna use that in my forum signature. With your permission of course! :laugh:

Swine flu..........when my kids were younger, there was a huge scare with meningitis. Ppl in my city were dying and it spread like wildfire. There were line ups for miles, to get vaccinated. It was very scary! SO scary, that I literally made myself physically sick with fear. It was a high anxiety time in my life, which didn't help one bit. My theory with this swine flu, is to just do the best you can to protect yourself from it, but don't let it take over your life. If we spent all of our time worrying about NOT getting sick, we would miss out on living! Pandemic or not. Ppl can die from a simple cold, if it turns into something serious like pneumonia. But, they don't throw that in the tabloids.

Ppl have a right to be concerned, but just do the best you can to take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Options
    all propaganda

Ummm... The N1H1 name is just describing the type of proteins that coat the flu virus, so it is the same virus as the "Swine flu." The Spanish Flu was also a type of N1H1 virus, but the viruses mutate very quickly, so this current flu virus is not the same as that particular N1H1 virus.

The reason this virus is getting so much attention is because it is a type of flu virus that has never been seen before, and therefore our bodies do not have any immune memory to help ourselves kill the virus. The scariest thing about this type of flu is that the immune systems of the healthy population that normal gets over the flu very quickly overreact and kill them.

Just so you all know, I'm a graduating biology major and all of my professors and such are very worried about this virus and have good reason to be. I don't think it's getting too much media attention at all. I just wish more people were actually educated about what the hell a flu virus is before they start talking about it as if they do.

Oh, well, gee, gang-- if the college professors are worried, maybe we need to rethink this-- :huh: :huh:
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    During WWI, an influenza virus killed over 600,000 Americans in less than a year--more than the war itself. It's not even something you read about in most history books. It killed the young healthy people.

Doctors couldn't figure out how to treat it because it was viral, and their microscopes weren't powerful enough to see the viruses that are many times smaller than bacteria.

Nothing really changed. Toward the end, people were told to wear flimsy masks. They still spread it by having rallies and sending soldiers overseas in cramped vessels. About 500,000 Europeans died as well.

There was no Tami-Flu. No knowledge of transmission. No handwashing guidelines. So yes, I think that, in light of the WWI flu pandemic, this is being blown out of proportion. We know to wash our hands, keep them out of our faces, and seek medical help. We have Tami Flu to make recovery easier. The media sensationalizes what it wants to.

Actually, we don't have enough Tamiflu if this were to become a true pandemic. Also, it's very expensive and many who could potentially really need it would not be able to afford it.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Ppl have a right to be concerned, but just do the best you can to take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:

The bottom line of life-- whether it be seatbelts, helmets, smoking-- you name it.

-- but enough with the media hysteria.