Swine Flu

Options

Replies

• hopetobeinshape
    Options
    During WWI, an influenza virus killed over 600,000 Americans in less than a year--more than the war itself. It's not even something you read about in most history books. It killed the young healthy people.

Doctors couldn't figure out how to treat it because it was viral, and their microscopes weren't powerful enough to see the viruses that are many times smaller than bacteria.

Nothing really changed. Toward the end, people were told to wear flimsy masks. They still spread it by having rallies and sending soldiers overseas in cramped vessels. About 500,000 Europeans died as well.

There was no Tami-Flu. No knowledge of transmission. No handwashing guidelines. So yes, I think that, in light of the WWI flu pandemic, this is being blown out of proportion. We know to wash our hands, keep them out of our faces, and seek medical help. We have Tami Flu to make recovery easier. The media sensationalizes what it wants to.

Such a smart girl songbird...I always value your information:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    all propaganda

proceed with your normal daily lives

Dave this may be a first... but I completely agree with you.

That may be the case, but still doesn't hurt anything to be sure to wash hands and such :wink:

I wash my hands anyway...don't you?

Uh....NO. Am I supposed to??

It's a flu bug......just like any other flu bug that people get. It's not even the swine flu anymore. It's mutated into something else called the N1H1 Virus. Swine flu just sounds better for the media.

I say.....skip politeness and stay clean.

Ummm... The N1H1 name is just describing the type of proteins that coat the flu virus, so it is the same virus as the "Swine flu." The Spanish Flu was also a type of N1H1 virus, but the viruses mutate very quickly, so this current flu virus is not the same as that particular N1H1 virus.

The reason this virus is getting so much attention is because it is a type of flu virus that has never been seen before, and therefore our bodies do not have any immune memory to help ourselves kill the virus. The scariest thing about this type of flu is that the immune systems of the healthy population that normal gets over the flu very quickly overreact and kill them.

Just so you all know, I'm a graduating biology major and all of my professors and such are very worried about this virus and have good reason to be. I don't think it's getting too much media attention at all. I just wish more people were actually educated about what the hell a flu virus is before they start talking about it as if they do.

Oh, well, gee, gang-- if the college professors are worried, maybe we need to rethink this-- :huh: :huh:

Actually the lab I'm in right now wants to start a swine flu project.

Eventually herd immunity will kick in and this flu pandemic will die out. The WWI pandemic ended abruptly because it killed so many people it ran out of hosts. Fortunately we have better medical care so, although people will unfortunately pass away, some will develop an immunity and those who are non-immune will be so few and far between that transmission will no longer occur.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    During WWI, an influenza virus killed over 600,000 Americans in less than a year--more than the war itself. It's not even something you read about in most history books. It killed the young healthy people.

Doctors couldn't figure out how to treat it because it was viral, and their microscopes weren't powerful enough to see the viruses that are many times smaller than bacteria.

Nothing really changed. Toward the end, people were told to wear flimsy masks. They still spread it by having rallies and sending soldiers overseas in cramped vessels. About 500,000 Europeans died as well.

There was no Tami-Flu. No knowledge of transmission. No handwashing guidelines. So yes, I think that, in light of the WWI flu pandemic, this is being blown out of proportion. We know to wash our hands, keep them out of our faces, and seek medical help. We have Tami Flu to make recovery easier. The media sensationalizes what it wants to.

Actually, we don't have enough Tamiflu if this were to become a true pandemic. Also, it's very expensive and many who could potentially really need it would not be able to afford it.

It already is a pandemic. Higher than average levels in a given time period in multiple countries. We have something like 12 million Tamiflus. Any flu is potentially deadly, and plenty of people die every year from insufficient medical care. It's nothing new. Unfortunate, but commonplace. And it's important for people to either die or develop an immunity to stop the spread of the disease.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I am still upset about the racial accusation

what did you mean?
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    i hope it's over soon. i have a trip to cabo in june; planned and paid for already!
    :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Agreed, I love reading your posts songbird.

Can someone explain to me what about kool-aid is racial, or should that not be touched by a ten foot pole?
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    all propaganda

proceed with your normal daily lives

Dave this may be a first... but I completely agree with you.

That may be the case, but still doesn't hurt anything to be sure to wash hands and such :wink:

I wash my hands anyway...don't you?

Uh....NO. Am I supposed to??

It's a flu bug......just like any other flu bug that people get. It's not even the swine flu anymore. It's mutated into something else called the N1H1 Virus. Swine flu just sounds better for the media.

I say.....skip politeness and stay clean.

Ummm... The N1H1 name is just describing the type of proteins that coat the flu virus, so it is the same virus as the "Swine flu." The Spanish Flu was also a type of N1H1 virus, but the viruses mutate very quickly, so this current flu virus is not the same as that particular N1H1 virus.

The reason this virus is getting so much attention is because it is a type of flu virus that has never been seen before, and therefore our bodies do not have any immune memory to help ourselves kill the virus. The scariest thing about this type of flu is that the immune systems of the healthy population that normal gets over the flu very quickly overreact and kill them.

Just so you all know, I'm a graduating biology major and all of my professors and such are very worried about this virus and have good reason to be. I don't think it's getting too much media attention at all. I just wish more people were actually educated about what the hell a flu virus is before they start talking about it as if they do.

Oh, well, gee, gang-- if the college professors are worried, maybe we need to rethink this-- :huh: :huh:

Actually the lab I'm in right now wants to start a swine flu project.

Eventually herd immunity will kick in and this flu pandemic will die out. The WWI pandemic ended abruptly because it killed so many people it ran out of hosts. Fortunately we have better medical care so, although people will unfortunately pass away, some will develop an immunity and those who are non-immune will be so few and far between that transmission will no longer occur.
    *whispers* I was being sarcastic.

The fact that "college professors" are "extremely worried" means bupkus to me--
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    i hope it's over soon. i have a trip to cabo in june; planned and paid for already!

look on the bright side

maybe you will have the beach to yourself:wink:
  • Marla64
    Options

Can someone explain to me what about kool-aid is racial, or should that not be touched by a ten foot pole?

Did you just make a polish joke? Watch it, sister!:angry::wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Ummm...you-tube or Google 'purple drank' and I think you'll figure it out on your own. My boyfriend and I are a mixed couple and we joke about it, but I don't want to offend anyone here.
  • tig3rang3l
    Options

Ruh roh... do you have insurance? Some travel agencies are already starting to divert to other destinations.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    drinkinh the Kool Aid

I thought that started with Jim Jones,...an american white man who convinced abunch of white people to drink poisoned kool aid

that is what I was referring to
  • Marla64
    Options
    drinkinh the Kool Aid

I thought that started with Jim Jones,...an american white man who convinced abunch of white people to drink poisoned kool aid

But that is not a "racist" remark-- it comments on the gullability to follow like sheep.
  • tig3rang3l
    Options
    "The phrase Drinking the Kool-Aid means to become a firm believer in something, to accept an argument or philosophy wholeheartedly or blindly. The term orginated with the "Jonestown Massacre"."

Courtesy of Wikipedia.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    drinkinh the Kool Aid

Ah yea, that makes more sense. After reading the 'racial' thing I was sort stuck on that connotation of kool-aid, and your quip was totally lost on me.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    drinkinh the Kool Aid

But that is not a "racist" remark-- it comments on the gullability to follow like sheep.

exactly

I dont get it
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options
    OHhhhhh I got it now Dave, that does make sense. And here here good point made as well :flowerforyou:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    drinkinh the Kool Aid

I thought that was what you were referring to but I wasn't going to get in on deciding if something was racial or not. I try to steer very clear of those arguments!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Oh racial schmacial. I'm so sick and tired of people turning everything into a racial matter. Get over it! Not everything has to do with race. :mad: :mad:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    well we wont get an answer to the racial accusation

account closed

wow