cursing + having little kids ==

Options

Replies

• Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    We don't "intentionally" swear in front of the kids, but it slips - a LOT. And yes, they've repeated it, BUT, we tell them WE are the parents and WE are the grown-ups and just because we do it doesn't make it right. And if we have a repeat offender, a small drop of soap on the tongue seems to do the trick. Kids need to know their boundaries and that there are things parents do that they can't. Period, end of story.

Do as I say not as I do. Got it.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    For the record, I've sworn in front of all five of my kids and not one of them has broken the law, been on drugs, abused anyone, set anything on fire, etc. etc. In fact, my oldest is in college to be a pediatrician. Must've been all that *kitten*&ng cussing we did.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    We don't "intentionally" swear in front of the kids, but it slips - a LOT. And yes, they've repeated it, BUT, we tell them WE are the parents and WE are the grown-ups and just because we do it doesn't make it right. And if we have a repeat offender, a small drop of soap on the tongue seems to do the trick. Kids need to know their boundaries and that there are things parents do that they can't. Period, end of story.

EXACTLY! I'm the Mom, I'm the boss. You'll get your turn.
  • Brandongood
    Options
    Really I don't think there is a defference between saying I have to take a S*** and I have to go poop, or for that matter calling some one a S*** head or a Poop head, to me it's all about the intent of what your saying, are you being mean,

And that is what I plan to instill in my children, being loving not caring much for socail formality's but about being Loving and making God happy

So I would be much more angry if my child called some one a poop head then if they said I have to take a S***

You really think allowing your children to speak like that is making God happy?

Jesus called the pharesses sones of a snake why would you think God cares about what words we use, no He cares more about the intent

Pharisees were hypocrites. I agree with you on the intent but I still think its wrong to cuss in front of kids
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband swear but wouldn't dream of doing it in front of our children. It's frown upon in our house. When children swear, it just sounds like they are being dragged up. It's not cool, it's not hip and it's certainly not clever. My children are 6 and 8 and they hear other children using swear words at school etc, the odd one on the telly... There's no way you can shield a child from hearing such words, it happens, it's out there and for many people, it's vertually their first language! In my personal opinion, i just dont think its right, it sounds common and trashy but.......each to their own

I agree. Sets a horrible example for your children. They're gonna hear it from all the other kids in school, so go ahead and show them that its ok in your home as well? People need to get their priorities straight.

My priorities are teaching my child leadership, responsibility, the value of a good education, and citizenship. What was your point again?

My point was that I agree that its wrong. You raise your kids the way you see fit and so will I.

My point is that swearing is not an indicator of a person' education, nor is it an indicator of parental failure. However, you seemed to have missed that. Don't judge my parenting and I won't judge yours. See how this works?

Like I said I think its wrong. If you feel judged maybe the shoe fits...

Perfect size if you ask me!

What self-important monstrosities. Good grief.

It's not self important at all. I raise my children to a certain standard and do not wish for it to be lowered. My opinion. Get over it.

I just super-duper love it when people think that the fact that something is their opinion magically makes it impossible for it to be absurd or challenged. I think the manner with which you're approaching this is monstrously self-important and the way you're behaving towards people is ridiculous. My opinion. Get over it.

Like I said, each to their own!
  • spazwgeo
    spazwgeo Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I agree with this! I so hate it when parents do things like swear and then tell their kids not to. If you don't want them to swear, then don't do it yourself!! I try very hard to be a good role model for my kids and being a walking contradiction is not one!! Just saying.....
  • cindy4mica
    Options

I agree with this! I so hate it when parents do things like swear and then tell their kids not to. If you don't want them to swear, then don't do it yourself!! I try very hard to be a good role model for my kids and being a walking contradiction is not one!! Just saying.....

Self-righteousness is not a good trait to pass on to your children. There are several things we can do as adults that are wrong/not acceptable for children to do. Let's get back to planet earth. And it certainly doesn't make me less of a positive role model for my children.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I swear a lot. My husband not so much. He swears so little that when he does it turns me on.

We have kids 3,6,7,17 and they try out a few words every now and then. We remind them not to use them until they are adults and all is well for a while.
    I have noticed my younger three will curse more when my teen has been on a cuss storm. I have to constantly remind him of where he is. I think they see that he is a kid and if he can do it so can they.

SO, adults cussing around kids, they know not to. Other kids cussing around your kids can be bad.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There be many @$%# trolls in this thread. :)
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I cuss a lot. :|
    My parents HATE it,
    but I just think of them as words.
    I don't think I'd swear any less if I had kids, though...
    Besides,
    my parents cussed around me when I was younger...
    & I didn't hear them say, kids at school have said!
    They're gonna hear it somewhere at some point.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Really I don't think there is a defference between saying I have to take a S*** and I have to go poop, or for that matter calling some one a S*** head or a Poop head, to me it's all about the intent of what your saying, are you being mean,

And that is what I plan to instill in my children, being loving not caring much for socail formality's but about being Loving and making God happy

So I would be much more angry if my child called some one a poop head then if they said I have to take a S***

Jesus called the pharesses sones of a snake why would you think God cares about what words we use, no He cares more about the intent

Pharisees were hypocrites. I agree with you on the intent but I still think its wrong to cuss in front of kids
    Personlly I wont just let my kids cuss, only cause it makes people feel incomfertable and its all about being loving, but words are nothing of themselves its all about the intent, that is way I would be more made if my child hurt another person by their words then just said some abatrary word
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    I curse with gusto and frequency, especially any time I have a wrench in my hand. My son understands those are "Daddy words" and he's allowed to use them once he has kids of his own. LOL. He's almost 7 now and we've never had an issue with his language at school or at home.

That brings to mind the memory of my husband beating on the gas tank (removed from the car of course) with the jack handle screaming, "I F***ING HATE GM PRODUCTS!" Our son who is 5 also understands what bad words are and makes a point of saying, "Ooooh, that's a bad word Mommy." probably explains why we now refer to people we don't care for as buffaloes because J misheard me calling someone a butt-hole and told me that buffalo was a bad word.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

I was waiting for the religious talk to start. You say people are "entitled to do what they want" and then you bring in the holier than thou judgmental remarks such as these.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    i just want to say how very happy i am i asked this question.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    i just want to say how very happy i am i asked this question.
    I am cursing you...just so you know.
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    i just recently worked in f**k as an adverb. It was a proud moment for my parents
  • Brandongood
    Options

I was waiting for the religious talk to start. You say people are "entitled to do what they want" and then you bring in the holier than thou judgmental remarks such as these.

Im not holier than anyone. It was a question not a remark. This is a debate going nowhere so we'll just agree to disagree
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Women and profanity is neither attractive nor classy. Regardless of your educational background and career, if your vocabulary is not extensive enough to where you must use vulgar language in order to make a point, you will appear as uneducated.

Yeah, I bet you have never used a "bad" word...
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    If I had kids I would not swear around them. Like it or not, a lot of people DO look down on those who swear. People can say they are well-educated, respectful, moral yadee yah. While what these people say could certainly be true, cursing often comes across as completely the opposite.

In my experience, people who come from "good" (kind, wealthy, well-educated and well-traveled) families do NOT swear nearly as much as those who come from "bad" families. While one thing does not necessarily equal another, I have noticed a correlation and am quite certain others have as well -- Just look at the variety of responses to this question.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, simply sharing my opinion.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My mother cursed regularly around me and my siblings when we were younger.

Oh, and we all turned out fine.

Cursing isn't a big deal if you don't make it one.