Anyone on a 1000 calorie diet? need lots of support!!

Options

Replies

• ifassnacht
    ifassnacht Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    way to go guys, you scared her off.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I like my food. I like my muscle. I like my health.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    Just want to point out that when my mom did Jenny Craig, they started her at 1000 calories..
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Just want to point out that when my mom did Jenny Craig, they started her at 1000 calories..

That's odd because I know their lowest calorie plan is 1200 calories in Australia. I checked out the US site but they dont have the menus on there but I find it hard to believe they'd be so different.

Your mother would have also been quite small to get put on the lowest menu. If you're bigger you eat more calories.
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    why only 1000?
  • forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    NOT HEALTHY!

1200 calorie diets are considered extreme. By depriving your body of nutrition you will not only be starving yourself, you will not be able to keep the weight off even if you are able to lose it. Please reconsider. No matter your goals you can reach them without harming yourself like this. Plus their will be a point when weight loss will come to a screeching halt because of lack of proper nutrition. Believe me, I tried this and ended up on a 3 week plateau because of it.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Instead of a low-calorie diet, why don't you just take one of those pills before bed that has you wake up 10lbs lighter in the morning? Do that four times and bam, you're at goal.

Ex lax? Lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's been said before, but very low calorie diets are extreme, and are kind of a "last resort" sort of thing. If this is your first time losing weight, there's absolutely no reason to go to the last resort first.
  • emmaruns
    emmaruns Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hey OP,

I know your heart is in the right place, but I hope you listen to all the people here. I lost weight on a 900 calorie a day diet (Medifast) a few years ago. The problem was that it wasn't something I could sustain for life. Yes, it was fast and actually I had my BF tested before and during and I was losing fat. However, it was so all or nothing.

This time around, I'm making lifestyle changes that I can live with. Forever. There is such a calm in that for me because I know that I can fit in ANYTHING I want to eat and still lose weight. It's a long journey, for sure, but I'd much rather eat 1800-2200 calories a day and see the weight come off knowing it is permanent. No special foods required.

Also, I was somewhat similar to you when I joined MFP right after Christmas. I was SUPER strict about 1300 calories a day and I was burning a ton because I work out every morning and then walk for work. My weight loss was slow and frustrating and if I had a meal out? Boom, 4 pounds gained. Came here asking for advice, upped my calories to 1800-2200 and now the losses are more linear. You have to find what works for you but I hope you can learn from me/others.

Emily
  • Marinee78
    Options
    HELLO:

WOW, i'm impress for all of the posts about this 1000 calorie topic, i'm about 50 lbs overweight, the first day i made this post i was starting with this diet, my primarie care doctor recomend my nutritionist to put me in a 1000 calorie diet, and the nutritionist agree, thats why i'm doing it, they did a electrocardiogram to check on my heart, and also lab work to determine if it was safe, i will go to the doctor AND nutritionist twice a week, i don't think that by eating an extra oreo cookie a day to make the 1200 calorie intake most people suggest will give me more nutrients, this is my 5 day and i'm feeling great, i been eating everything but in small portions even beer. I just found out it may sound horrible to some people this topic about the 1000 calorie diet :( i never meant to say something bad and i'm sorry, i thoght this forum was for support not for critisism, thaks to all the people sending inboxes with support. :smile:
  • Marinee78
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • Marinee78
    Options
    To loose weight, my doc and nutritionist aproved!!
  • Marinee78
    Options
    What is VLCDs?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    What is VLCDs?

Very Low Calorie Diets.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hell NO! You should not be eating that few calories. It will not do you any good.
  • Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I know this will shock a lot of the judgemental people here, but clearly you trust your DR and nutritionist more then anonymous people on the Internet. As with anywhere, there are judgemental people on this site. Don't let that deter you. There are lots of supportive peopple here who are much more tactful than the few naysayers.

Keep in mind, MFP is run by sponsors. Medifast is a low calorie diet and I don't see MFP stepping in and warning about that diet, but guess what, Medifast is a sponsor of this site and you see their advertisements everywhere. Stick with your DR and you won't go wrong. If you try, you will find others in private Groups doing the same or similar plan as you so you don't have to post on public boards to just be ridiculed.

Congratulations on your journey to health and good luck!
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Keep in mind, MFP is run by sponsors. Medifast is a low calorie diet and I don't see MFP stepping in and warning about that diet, but guess what, Medifast is a sponsor of this site and you see their advertisements everywhere.

LOL
    They're Google ads - i.e tailored to your browsing habits, page keywords, previous searches, and so on.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    HELLO:

WOW, i'm impress for all of the posts about this 1000 calorie topic, i'm about 50 lbs overweight, the first day i made this post i was starting with this diet, my primarie care doctor recomend my nutritionist to put me in a 1000 calorie diet, and the nutritionist agree, thats why i'm doing it, they did a electrocardiogram to check on my heart, and also lab work to determine if it was safe, i will go to the doctor AND nutritionist twice a week, i don't think that by eating an extra oreo cookie a day to make the 1200 calorie intake most people suggest will give me more nutrients, this is my 5 day and i'm feeling great, i been eating everything but in small portions even beer. I just found out it may sound horrible to some people this topic about the 1000 calorie diet :( i never meant to say something bad and i'm sorry, i thoght this forum was for support not for critisism, thaks to all the people sending inboxes with support. :smile:

Nobody is suggesting that you eat an oreo to hit 1200. :P

All you said in your OP was "to see faster results" -- clearly you should go with your doctor and nutritionist over internet people, but saying that in the first post would have made the thread a lot shorter.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Keep in mind, MFP is run by sponsors. Medifast is a low calorie diet and I don't see MFP stepping in and warning about that diet, but guess what, Medifast is a sponsor of this site and you see their advertisements everywhere.

Um, No.

MFP is owned and run for free by a cool guy named Mike. He has some help from his buddy Al, and he has chosen a bunch of people to moderate the site, like Steven.

Medifast dosn't own, operate, or sponsor this site. They sure as hell wouldn't undercut their expensive quackery that way.
    The reason you see ads on the site is BECAUSE MFP is free. They generate income by selling banner ad space. But the advertisers do NOT own or operate this site.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you're only eating 1000 calories a day, I would highly suggest you make the most out of those 1000 calories and pack in all the nutrition you can (protein, vitamins especially). Beer is not the worst thing in moderation, but at only 1000 calories a day, one bottle of beer is significant. Just make sure you're getting enough nutrients. I would hope that your nutritionist would give you a better guideline on what to eat specifically, and what to avoid, in order to maintain a 1000 calorie diet. A caloric outline is a very very small piece of the puzzle.
This discussion has been closed.