Lighten the **** up!

Options

Replies

• Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Well I'm sure you can apply that 'do what you can' philosophy to a lot of things in life...but I'm not sold on the success that can be had from it.

When your out there...messing around, having fun, letting your game slip... Someone else is out there working hard, someone else is getting stronger, smarter, faster than you. Someone else is winning. 24 hours in a day...You've got to sleep at some point, so make the rest count.

Think about it.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Some of these posts are hilarious. People who've sworn off entire categories of food for their entire lives.. and so many of them new members who started a month or two ago.

Reminds me of a recent episode of Biggest Loser. They had a food challenge and Mark was just on the highest horse.. "I'm not putting that crap in my body! Not ever again for my entire life!!" He was talking about a fortune cookie. A 30 calorie fortune cookie.

The title of the thread says it all.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    And remember - 80% of people who lose weight GAIN IT BACK.

Thanks, Susie Sunshine...that's the kind of support everybody can use! :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Agreed! They also say that people who are harder on themselves with negative thinking towards their weight are more likely to eat more! So everyone stay positive! :) If I didn't have my one craving every now and then I'd be one mean person! lol
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    Well I'm sure you can apply that 'do what you can' philosophy to a lot of things in life...but I'm not sold on the success that can be had from it.

When your out there...messing around, having fun, letting your game slip... Someone else is out there working hard, someone else is getting stronger, smarter, faster than you. Someone else is winning. 24 hours in a day...You've got to sleep at some point, so make the rest count.

Think about it.

Think about what? That I should stop having fun in my life because someone on the planet is stronger than me? :laugh:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I look forward to celebrating Birthdays with a piece of cake. That is about the only time that I bake them. I am going to be in trouble soon- April is a big birthday month in our family. Husband and two daughters have birthdays with in a week. It will be one cake for all- but I will enjoy it!
  • man_dee_gee
    man_dee_gee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    HAHA! Say all of the skinny people on here.

You know how I got this way? By eating Kit Kats. And not counting what was going into my body.

I'm not losing vanity pounds. I am losing weight to improve my life and get to where I need to be.

I have to be restrictive, I have to controlled. If not, I will fall off the deep end. So please don't preach to those of us who need to give up what we have enjoyed for so long. It isn't an obsession, it's a discipline.

You should be encouraging us who have sacraficed the kit kats in our life. And if we eat a Kit Kat, dern skippy we are recording it for the day.

I know we need to "let loose" every once in awhile. And must of us on here have unforunately done that quite long enough in our lives. However, your judgement isn't positive, isn't encouraging. If strictness bums you out so much on here, then I suggest you stick to your status updates with your friends and stay off the forum boards.

IMO.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Sometimes people sound so morose when they see that my dinner put me over my calorie goal. Earlier this week I had spring break and instead of drinking I treated myself to great dinners. One of the days I was so surprised at how many calories that dinner had and I was talking about it through status and someone was writing like they were trying to cheer me up. I wasn't sad or beating myself because of how high the calorie count was I was just surprised because I used to eat that way unaware of how much stuff was in there. I dont eat like that anymore though but it was fun having that special meal.

People should lighten up and not sound so scared of food.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I was having the same thoughts when I purchased a box of thin mints for the family this week. I have to confess that limiting everyone in the house to one serving and not just eating the whole box wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done but it was totally worth it knowing there will be more for another day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned this before... a real eye opener for me was going to a Zombie Run around Halloween sponsored by a local running group and a local running store. (You wanna run faster than ever? Have a zombie chase you. It was AWESOME!)

I've only been running about a year, so it was less than a year in October, and I felt like a total nub around a bunch of athletes. Most of the races I've done were a mix of "real" runners, casual runners, newbies and walkers. This was just runners. Perfect bodies. (And I was happy I kept up with them!)

But after the race, they had a party. Most regular races have a spread of water or Gatorade, bananas or oranges, sometimes a bag of 100 calorie chips, and very rarely baked goods. THIS ONE had water, Gatorade, Pepsi, BEER, fruit, sandwiches, brownies, pizza, donuts, candy bars, cookies... and the "real runners" were all chowing down and enjoying themselves.

I vowed from the get-go when I joined MFP that I wouldn't deprive myself, but that night was the final nail in the "you can't have THAT" coffin. And a big wake-up call that "eating like an athlete" includes some really delicious options.
  • Classalete
    Options

Think about it.

Think about what? That I should stop having fun in my life because someone on the planet is stronger than me? :laugh:

Well if fun to you means never being apart of the elite, than so be it. There isn't enough room at the top for all of us..and while I've never seen a complacent or lackadaisical individual rise to the top...I've seen plenty of ambitious and diligent people who have.
  • BrettPGH
    Options

Think about it.

Well if fun to you means never being apart of the elite, than so be it. There isn't enough room at the top for all of us..and while I've never seen a complacent or lackadaisical individual rise to the top...I've seen plenty of ambitious and diligent people who have.

Yeah I'm not here to be an olympian. Just wanted to get in good shape and be healthy. Like most people here. But good luck to you! Apparently you're going to need it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned this before... a real eye opener for me was going to a Zombie Run around Halloween sponsored by a local running group and a local running store. (You wanna run faster than ever? Have a zombie chase you. It was AWESOME!)

I've only been running about a year, so it was less than a year in October, and I felt like a total nub around a bunch of athletes. Most of the races I've done were a mix of "real" runners, casual runners, newbies and walkers. This was just runners. Perfect bodies. (And I was happy I kept up with them!)

But after the race, they had a party. Most regular races have a spread of water or Gatorade, bananas or oranges, sometimes a bag of 100 calorie chips, and very rarely baked goods. THIS ONE had water, Gatorade, Pepsi, BEER, fruit, sandwiches, brownies, pizza, donuts, candy bars, cookies... and the "real runners" were all chowing down and enjoying themselves.

I vowed from the get-go when I joined MFP that I wouldn't deprive myself, but that night was the final nail in the "you can't have THAT" coffin. And a big wake-up call that "eating like an athlete" includes some really delicious options.

thats all well and good but I seriously doubt many of those "real runners" were men women who havent exercised since they were children and need to lose 125 pounds or more like many men and women on this site. Many people here are really struggling to just get out and walk and many havn't yet or simply cant learn sweets moderation.

its wonderful you and others have a healthy relationship with food. But this constant "you are depriving yourself" attitude if you dont indulge isnt all that helpful. For those abstaining, the deprivation attitude doesnt apply all the time.
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    I do think it's awfully silly to reward your hard work by undoing a lot of it. When I'm looking at a kit kat bar, I see it as 25 minutes on the elliptical and four days of trying to get my digestion back on track; not really worth the five minutes of pleasure I get from it!

I think that part of making lifelong changes is to learn to appreciate other rewards. If I do really well and I want to reward myself, I make myself an amazing smoothie. Or I take myself out to see a movie. Or something like that.

If that's what you want to do, fine, do it. I'm really not that concerned about what other people do, and I'm not sure why my voluntary diet restrictions concern you. People can permanently give things up. Don't judge it as "unreasonable". I haven't had milk, ice cream, pizza, or fried cheese products for years, and I eat tons of delicious food. I don't spend all day every day fretting about how good a cheese curd would be.
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    its wonderful you and others have a healthy relationship with food. But this constant "you are depriving yourself" attitude if you dont indulge isnt all that helpful. For those abstaining, the deprivation attitude doesnt apply all the time.

Agreed. I think the attitude that you are "depriving" yourself of things, instead of just learning to make better choices, is destructive. You need to learn to have a different attitude about food in general. And it's possible, and it's not miserable.
  • dhansen88
    dhansen88 Posts: 22
    Options
    i totally agree !
  • Classalete
    Options

Think about it.

Yeah I'm not here to be an olympian. Just wanted to get in good shape and be healthy. Like most people here. But good luck to you! Apparently you're going to need it.

We'll than were two worlds apart. I always strive to be the best at everything.

I know I'm not there yet...just know that I'm gonna be. ;]

Best of luck to you as well.
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Think about it.

Those people at the "top" probably didn't have any fun along the way.
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options

The top of what? I hear it's lonely there.... :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.