Lighten the **** up!

Options

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    it takes all sorts to make a world and thats why MFP is so great because we all do our own thing and as long as what we do does not harm or effect anyone else thats fine .....so if people want to worry about what goes in their mouth thats fine and if they want to eat a takeaway or chocs thats fine too.....its all about freedom and whatever floats your boat and I dont think people should criticise anyone for their personal choices that after all is THEIR choice.

I don't think the OP was criticizing anyone's choice.

I took it more to be critical of people who have excessive amount of guilt or angst over something that is not guilt-or-angst-worthy.

The biggest battle in all of this for all of us is psychological. It's our own perceptions. If we perceive that eating a candy bar is the wrong thing to do, we're going to think we're failures. And as long as we failed and at one candy bar, we might as well have a dozen. It's not an all or nothing situation like that. Even if we do have a major binge that lasts for months on end... it's only a failure if we let it defeat us. Until you quit, it's not a failure. It's ... a detour.

It is a fail if you have a binge that lasts for months. You convince yourself that you failed and then continue binging for months until you get it together again. This is called yo-yo dieting. If instead you had a guilt free binge or treat thought nothing of it and went back to eating to lose weight then you win.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I will err on the side of caution before reading any responses to your post. I feel as though, judging by length, you could have gotten flamed for this one, but I don't know. All I will say is, yes we all need balance, so this effect, I agree with you. NOW I will go read, lol

Also remember, eating good foods should not be equated with a punishment. my best advice about weight loss is eating foods you like. I've added loads of foods I did not like or thought I did not like, and I enjoy them. I enjoy that I feel good about their nutrient content and that it's helping me accomplish a few very important things, staying alive for one (at it's most fundamental level) and being filling enough for me to remain at a deficit for weight loss. food isn't an enemy, enjoy it. still remember, treats aren't always candy or sugar coated, good things can make you just as happy to eat.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Some of us don't like chocolate, Kit-Kat, cakes, cookies, pastries, or sweets in general; so not having them, doesn't mean that we are depriving ourselves of a treat.

Counting macros and calories is not an obsession for some people, like me; it is a way of life. Please don't judge us and don't think that we are being obsessive. It is just the way we are.

Have a great Sunday!:love:

Pretty sure you are missing the point...
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Some of us don't like chocolate, Kit-Kat, cakes, cookies, pastries, or sweets in general; so not having them, doesn't mean that we are depriving ourselves of a treat.

Counting macros and calories is not an obsession for some people, like me; it is a way of life. Please don't judge us and don't think that we are being obsessive. It is just the way we are.

Have a great Sunday!:love:

Pretty sure you are missing the point...

I take this back after reading some more posts. It looks like a few people have missed the point. :ohwell:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I just had a Kit Kat Chunky.
    No regrets.

Some of you take calorie counting and weight loss far too seriously.

Remember, you are human and you only have one life to live. Do something with it!

Don't spend all your time obsessing over carbs and macros and calories. I hear some of you saying 'oh, it's my friends brithday and I can't have any cake' or 'my partner just ordered takeaway and I'm not allowed to share it with him!'

Wrong.

You cannot - SHOULD NOT - let calorie counting rule your every waking moment. You can't do this to yourself! You're human and deserve to let yourself enjoy things in life. Stop depriving yourself of enjoyment and experience because 'there's too many calories' in it.

Some of you just eat fruit and vegetables and protein all the time.

WHAT THE ****?!

Christ, treat yourself to a chocolate bar now and again. You deserve it! You shouldn't feel like you have to deprive yourself of anything!

One Kit Kat Chunky will not make you gain 10lbs instantly. It can be good for you - boosting your metabolism, and make you feel better for earning it.

If you're losing weight properly (1 or 2lbs a week, not crash dieting) then a little treat will not make you gain weight!

Please, you're human. Enjoy being human.

DISCLAIMER: Obviously, I'm not saying eat junk all the time. But you should allow yourself a treat. Deprivation never works. Trust me.

This turned into more of a rant than I expected.

Ta for reading :)

I agree with not beating yourself up when you have a treat but I don't agree that everyone needs to have a treat. If people are happy eating protein, veg an fruit all the time without an urge for a treat then that's fine.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You are so right.... and of course I take a "cheat day" all the way... look at my diary for today. LOL
  • llaurash1962
    Options
    yep!
  • AtiyaBH
    AtiyaBH Posts: 1
    Options
    Great post...lol:smile:
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Now bring on the wine. :laugh: :drinker:

This...oh, and some zesty cheese doritos please!
  • Stephisonaroll
    Options
    it takes all sorts to make a world and thats why MFP is so great because we all do our own thing and as long as what we do does not harm or effect anyone else thats fine .....so if people want to worry about what goes in their mouth thats fine and if they want to eat a takeaway or chocs thats fine too.....its all about freedom and whatever floats your boat and I dont think people should criticise anyone for their personal choices that after all is THEIR choice.

I don't think the OP was criticizing anyone's choice.

I took it more to be critical of people who have excessive amount of guilt or angst over something that is not guilt-or-angst-worthy.

The biggest battle in all of this for all of us is psychological. It's our own perceptions. If we perceive that eating a candy bar is the wrong thing to do, we're going to think we're failures. And as long as we failed and at one candy bar, we might as well have a dozen. It's not an all or nothing situation like that. Even if we do have a major binge that lasts for months on end... it's only a failure if we let it defeat us. Until you quit, it's not a failure. It's ... a detour.

It is a fail if you have a binge that lasts for months. You convince yourself that you failed and then continue binging for months until you get it together again. This is called yo-yo dieting. If instead you had a guilt free binge or treat thought nothing of it and went back to eating to lose weight then you win.

I agree!! At first I tried to cut out sweets or take out and found that for me it was harder than being aloud to have it every once in a while. When I deprive myself completely from something that I love (chocolate) then when I do have it I over-eat it and that's no good. So now, if I allow myself to have something chocolately like once a week I know that I'm still eating what I want but just not everyday...way better if you ask me!:tongue:
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love you. Legit. I had a cupcake today. It was tasty and unhealthy and delicious and I'm not letting it stop me from losing weight.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    One of the most important and helpful pieces of advice I've read on the forums is that we are making a lifestyle change, which means we must create a sustainable pattern for ourselves. I will not cut out the occasional treat because I refuse to live that way. I don't believe the OP is advocating forcing chocolate bars for those who don't enjoy a sugary treat. Just the opposite. I understood from her post that if you enjoy it, you don't have to deny it yourself from now until eternity.

I build in my 1 X weekly treat into my budget right now, and allow myself 1 free day per month to not count/log anything. I can live with that, especially since it hasn't hampered attaining my goals consistently over the last (almost) 2 months.

So yeah - lighten up - you'll still lighten up, and life is meant to be enjoyed, fer cryin out loud!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

What I mean is that it's never "over," and it's not an all or nothing, win or lose (lose or gain?) situation.

A good friend of mine stopped logging food and exercise for a few months and just lived a normal life. Went on dates, had good food, celebrated Christmas and New Years. Exercised every so often, but didn't make it a huge priority. Gained a few pounds back, then got back on the horse and is losing again. I wouldn't say she failed or is yo-yo-ing.

It's all part of the process. Like riding a bike... every child expects to fall down when they're learning to ride a bike. They don't say they're a failure when it happens. But somehow, when we're adults, we don't give ourselves room for anything other than perfection.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    sugar and spice and everything nice (yum) that's what fitness eating is made of!
  • shelbysmom08
    Options
    I agree I eat what I eat and just log it if I am over oh well, I just started portion control and exercise and it's working for me!
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I had a chocolate donut, and I enjoyed every damn second I had it in my mouth.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    There should be a "like" button. :laugh:
    I want to say this every day.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Heck yes!!! I read this just after I logged the nice bowl of Cheetos I enjoyed this afternoon... and yesterday I ate an entire pizza (thin crust roasted garlic chicken, mmmm mmmmm good!!). Later this week I will have some mojitos or wine or margaritas... And in between I enjoy my salads and non-fat greek yogurt. As my very wise friend dsjohndrow says, "Diet - it's what you eat, not what you do."
This discussion has been closed.