Lighten the **** up!

Options

Replies

• Kimbersway2thin
    Kimbersway2thin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is one problem to what you are suggesting.....those of us who are binge eaters and have an addiction to food can't just eat 1 bite, or have 1 small amount. I understand what you are saying but remember that for me personally, all it takes is 1 bite to trigger an all out binge which could in turn lead to weight gain as has for me in the past. My husband is one of those that can eat just 1 or "treat" himself to something not as healthy. I CAN NOT!!! Just wanted you to realize that what you are saying really could hurt some of us truly addicted to food. I cannot and will not lighten the ++++ up, I can't afford to, but I also don't dwell on the fact that someone else can have this or that and I can't, it's my choice and only my choice. I am living my life happily without binge eating and this includes not eating those things you suggest once in a while.
    Kim
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    There is one problem to what you are suggesting.....those of us who are binge eaters and have an addiction to food can't just eat 1 bite, or have 1 small amount. I understand what you are saying but remember that for me personally, all it takes is 1 bite to trigger an all out binge which could in turn lead to weight gain as has for me in the past. My husband is one of those that can eat just 1 or "treat" himself to something not as healthy. I CAN NOT!!! Just wanted you to realize that what you are saying really could hurt some of us truly addicted to food. I cannot and will not lighten the ++++ up, I can't afford to, but I also don't dwell on the fact that someone else can have this or that and I can't, it's my choice and only my choice. I am living my life happily without binge eating and this includes not eating those things you suggest once in a while.
    Kim

:flowerforyou:
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    @Dave189lbs and @Kimbersway2th.

Yup, I understand that it is difficult for some people, like yourselves.

But my post wasn't really directed at you. More towards the people who are being unnecessarily harsh on themselves when it comes to treats and such.
  • kayhatlen
    kayhatlen Posts: 46
    Options
    I agree! I had a Reese's peanut butter cup mini egg the other day and have no regrets. I just put it in with my other food for the day.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Although I am trying hard to lose weight~ I eat a bit of everything. I don't fret if I've had chips or chocolate as I "can & do" include that in my daily diary if need be. I basically eat now what I am going to eat for the REST of my life.....calories, carbs and all the other good stuff!!
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    it takes all sorts to make a world and thats why MFP is so great because we all do our own thing and as long as what we do does not harm or effect anyone else thats fine .....so if people want to worry about what goes in their mouth thats fine and if they want to eat a takeaway or chocs thats fine too.....its all about freedom and whatever floats your boat and I dont think people should criticise anyone for their personal choices that after all is THEIR choice.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Love this post!
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I thought this one was going to stir it up, but found it a fun version of supportive :-)

I think some days I have 'control issues' where I think too much about the weight and exercise.
    It can get obsessive.

But I think this may have more to do with a loss I have suffered in the last year. Losing weight and getting fitter has been a positive thing to help me move forward.

But yes, I have seen eyes glaze over as I enthuse about what works what doesnt work etc
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I say if you can do that and get away with it. Hooray for you! But for me, I can't just eat a chocolate bar here and there. It completely screws with my weight loss.
    Hopefully someone the same as me doesn't read this and think "it's ok". Cause it's only ok for some.

Personally, I don't have the desire to eat the very foods that got me where I am in the first place. And I know many others feel the same way.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    it takes all sorts to make a world and thats why MFP is so great because we all do our own thing and as long as what we do does not harm or effect anyone else thats fine .....so if people want to worry about what goes in their mouth thats fine and if they want to eat a takeaway or chocs thats fine too.....its all about freedom and whatever floats your boat and I dont think people should criticise anyone for their personal choices that after all is THEIR choice.

I don't think the OP was criticizing anyone's choice.

I took it more to be critical of people who have excessive amount of guilt or angst over something that is not guilt-or-angst-worthy.

The biggest battle in all of this for all of us is psychological. It's our own perceptions. If we perceive that eating a candy bar is the wrong thing to do, we're going to think we're failures. And as long as we failed and at one candy bar, we might as well have a dozen. It's not an all or nothing situation like that. Even if we do have a major binge that lasts for months on end... it's only a failure if we let it defeat us. Until you quit, it's not a failure. It's ... a detour.
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    This ^
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!!
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That is my philosophy as well! I don't deprive myself, ever. But I do eat healthy most of the time.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Some people may just not like sweets or junk food *shrug*

Yes, but I'm sure that everyone has something... chips, alcohol, something fried, an extra helping of whatever...
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I splurge from time to time...I have to or I'll go insane!! Sometimes though it is a matter of "what I want" vs "what I had". Today, what I wanted was to stop and get a greasy double cheeseburger from McDonalds (440 calories), and a medium fry (380 calories), and a large caramel mocha (360 cals). Of course, I haven't had beef in over two weeks, so I knew that since I had my gallbladder out in '02 I'd be hurting afterwards. What I had? Went home and made a pita sandwhich with turkey breast, spinach, and swiss (210 calories), a package of BBQ Quaker rice cakes (80 cal), and a cup of coffee with skinny international delights caramel Machiatto (30 cal). I could have blown it all with 1180 calories, but instead, I had 320 calories. I feel better, am not sick to my stomach, and feel completely satisfied. I don't want that greasy burger and fries anymore. I saved 860 calories doing this, so sometimes giving into a craving is less wise than doing something smart.
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I admit I'm an obsesser! But I still treat myself ( I just had a 330+ calorie chocolate ice cream cone from Dairy Queen and it was a SMALL!) However, instead of not treating myself or whining about it I just add extra exercise to negate it. ie I took my family swimming and worked off that ice cream cone.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Kim

Then you prob. aren't one of the people the OP is talking about... You know you can't so you prob. won't.... of course there are always "exceptions to the rules"...

We are all adults, no-one is twisting our arm and holding our mouths open to eat that something that we all feel is a big "no-no" in this journey, but if you are true to yourself and the reasons you are here, you will count them as your cals for the day, regardless if it makes you go over, and move on. It's not a crime... It's not a punishment... No need to beat yourself up about it...

Tomorrow is another day and life is too short...

There will always be battles... You just need to learn to pick and choose yours...

:)
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    Yeah, no, again I;ll say this post wasn't aimed at everyone.
    Some of you take calorie counting far too seriously

^ Some of you. Some.
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Totally agree OP BUT its really hard getting it through your head. I really really wanted a lemon pie and it took me about a week for me to have 1 (well 3 in one sitting LOL) but I haven't gained any weight. Even lost 100grams lol. You do get to the point where you're scared to eat anything naughty incase the scale goes upwards :(
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    Totally agree OP BUT its really hard getting it through your head. I really really wanted a lemon pie and it took me about a week for me to have 1 (well 3 in one sitting LOL) but I haven't gained any weight. Even lost 100grams lol. You do get to the point where you're scared to eat anything naughty incase the scale goes upwards :(

Mmm, but that's what I'm saying.
    You get into this cycle of fear where you never allow anything as a treat again. That's how eating disorders develop. And how you lose friends when you can;t go out with them for a meal.
This discussion has been closed.