Carb Conscious Peeps - May 2009

Options
Ok, this is for anyone following any type of "Controlled Carb" eating plan or WOL (Way Of Life)

* Atkins
* South Beach
* Carbohydrates Addicts Diet (CAD)
* Protein Power
* The Zone
* Sugar Busters

Etc, etc.............all and everyone are welcome here.

All of these plans are very, very similar in premise, just slightly different rules or approaches.

Find a plan that works for "YOU" and go with it. We are here to support one another along in this journey.

Especially if that means getting off meds, or just getting off the weight!!!!

Welcome again!!!

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is for anyone following any type of "Controlled Carb" eating plan or WOL (Way Of Life)

* Atkins
    * South Beach
    * Carbohydrates Addicts Diet (CAD)
    * Protein Power
    * The Zone
    * Sugar Busters

Etc, etc.............all and everyone are welcome here.

All of these plans are very, very similar in premise, just slightly different rules or approaches.

Find a plan that works for "YOU" and go with it. We are here to support one another along in this journey.

Especially if that means getting off meds, or just getting off the weight!!!!

Welcome again!!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hi I found you. I think this will be great. May we all be more aware of our foods we put into our bodies.
    Caliecat
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this i really need to check into this asap. Because although my calories are low my carbs are to high, Its fustrating
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Thanks for posting this i really need to check into this asap. Because although my calories are low my carbs are to high, Its fustrating

I am willing to help in any way that I possibly can.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It seems like there is a question of whether you can be low carb and low fat at the same time too. South Beach does espouse low fat and healthy fats with lower/healthier carbs...it is possible to find a low fat yogurt with only natural sugar in it...I make my own yogurt and it has no sugar, yet it is low fat.
    Sometimes it just depends on the cut of meat you use (canadian bacon instead of salty high fat regular bacon). Oops...I guess I continued the discussion from the other thread...hope no one minds...
    Take care all,
    A.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I lost 3 lbs. 2 lbs the I had gain last week plus another 1 lb. That make me a happy camper.
    Tell me more about this counting carbs? I just been on this SBD since Monday so I am really please. Be looking forward to all you uys have to say today.
    Caliecat
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    good morning....

if you don't mind leanlioness if i shorten it to LL? i too agree with the full, reg stuff, my dietitian told me that. also dr. oz says to stay away from the hydro, partially crap. we use real butter. it doesn't have that in it. he says if it natural your body knows what to do with it. our chemistry hasn't' changed that much from way back when. they ate the full fat regular stuff, that's how the made it them selfs.

congrats to you caliecat keep up the great work.

have a great day all. DH wants to take the grands out hiking today. just need to wait until mom gets up so we can see if they can go.

later, cathy
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hello Cathy [ chipper] . LL [lean lioness] and all that follow.

I have a question. My doctor had me on 30 carbs for breakfast - 30 carbs for lunch and 45 crabs for dinner and it is not working for me. Also I am on 4 shots of insulin a day. this past week I had to cut it in half While following the SBD. I just don't think My body can handle that many carbs and lose weight. It does keep my blood sugar in check She also Had me on a 1400 calories a day. and I wasn't losing very much. So the question is How many carbs is safe? I feel great on smaller amt. of carbs.Do you just count you carbs and not your calories. That would be nice. I'm here to learn.

Thank you
    Marie
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!! Caliecat - my diabetic nutritionist wanted me on the same amount of carbs - no chance! If I ate that many carbs I would be on 2500 mg of Metformin instead of 1500! I keep breakfast at 15 or less net carbs - lunch used to be the same and dinner I would try for the same. I feel better if I can keep my carbs below about 60 - I really try not to go over 100 even on my bad days. My doc has been happy with my progress. Use what works for you and can help you control your diabetes better - my opinion anyway!!

I am starting to lower my carbs back to what is better for me. I have a BBQ to go to tonight, so it won't be a completely low carb day but I am going to be very careful the rest of the day and probably start tomorrow. The scale at least moved down 1/2 lb today!! Woot woot! :drinker:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hello MTGirl. thanks That sound like something I can handle. Will go for it. In fact being my first week on SBD thats is what I have been having. And I feel so much better.
    breakfast---!/2 c. eggbeaters. !/2 tomatoe. 1/4 avacada.
    Lunch---grilled chicken, brussell spouts, slice tomatoes. Small salad with full fat dressing
    Dinner----Fish. sugar snap peas, brussell spouts. larger salad with full fat dressing
    Snack---Plain yogurt with 1 pkg. of stevia
    Will 2 c of veggies count as 15 carbs?
    Well better make a run to the store and buy some blue cheese dressing.
    Marie
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Blue Cheese dressing...yum...:happy:
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Hello MTGirl. thanks That sound like something I can handle. Will go for it. In fact being my first week on SBD thats is what I have been having. And I feel so much better.
    breakfast---!/2 c. eggbeaters. !/2 tomatoe. 1/4 avacada.
    Lunch---grilled chicken, brussell spouts, slice tomatoes. Small salad with full fat dressing
    Dinner----Fish. sugar snap peas, brussell spouts. larger salad with full fat dressing
    Snack---Plain yogurt with 1 pkg. of stevia
    Will 2 c of veggies count as 15 carbs?
    Well better make a run to the store and buy some blue cheese dressing.
    Marie

Callie - it totally depends on the veggies. If they are low carb veggies - not carrots, potatoes, peas - then probably not.

Edited to add; I just checked my salad from yesterday - 12 gm of carbs - had 1/2 cup of spinach, 2 cups of Ready Pac Garden Salad, 1/2 cup broccoli slaw, and 1 tbsp Newman's Own Balsamic Viganarette ( I can't spell that word!) And 3 grams of that was fiber - so net carbs were 9. Check it when you enter it in the food diary for carb content, or buy a good calorie counting book to reference. You can use the datebase to do some pre-checking and keep a list of some of your favorite low carb things and their nutritional values - a manual list though!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks GTGirl will take awhile to get all of this down. My printer is in the shop so I can't copy things down yet. We don't count calories at all. Just have a portion .Thanks
    Marie
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Exactly!!!

That is why my Dr recommended Atkins over SB.
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Thanks GTGirl will take awhile to get all of this down. My printer is in the shop so I can't copy things down yet. We don't count calories at all. Just have a portion .Thanks
    Marie

Even if your not counting calories - just enter it or make sure you read the label to see how many net carbs in a serving. You can ignore the calories, if you are able to do that :laugh: I have a bunch of guides the nutritionist gave me with fast food counts (:sick: ) and some basic groceries. I researched on line and wrote out my own lists with the carb count of foods I use a lot and fast food - some healthier options plus some of my old choices so I can see how much better the healthier options are!
    If you use the data base and/or google you will find most vegetables listed and can just write a note with the serving size and net carbs so you know. Maybe use a notebook just for that purpose?? I have a great 3 ring binder I got at Walmart that I track everything in, handwritten or printed.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    It seems like there is a question of whether you can be low carb and low fat at the same time too. South Beach does espouse low fat and healthy fats with lower/healthier carbs...it is possible to find a low fat yogurt with only natural sugar in it...I make my own yogurt and it has no sugar, yet it is low fat.
    Sometimes it just depends on the cut of meat you use (canadian bacon instead of salty high fat regular bacon). Oops...I guess I continued the discussion from the other thread...hope no one minds...
    Take care all,
    A.

some people can low carb and low fat...........which is what SBD is.

Dr Atkins says to have the full fat versions because it will slow down digestion, keep you fuller longer and satisfied, therefore you end up eating less calories in the long run.

Another thing, with low carbing, if you are eating natural veggies, fruits and protein - then there is lower sodium naturally.

Personally, I use Mediterian sea salt and fresh ground pepper to season.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Tell me more about this net carbs. How do it effect your medications.?

I know you take the fiber off of you carbs to get the net carbs, But wondering about my medications. I have got my food chart fill out and will post it to see If I am on this correctly

Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I am aiming for 60 carbs a day

May 2, 2009
    FOODS Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber
    Breakfast
    Better'n Eggs - Egg Beaters, 1/2 cup 60 2g 0g 12g 0mg 240mg 0g 0g
    Avocados - Raw, 1 cup, cubes 240 13g 22g 3g 0mg 11mg 1g 10g
    Fresh Produce - Sliced Tomato, 2 slice 6 1g 0g 0g 0mg 2mg 1g 0g
    Lunch
    Pictsweet Steamers - Baby Sugar Snap Peas, 2/3 cup 40 7g 0g 2g 0mg 0mg 3g 2g
    Whole Foods - Organic Fresh Chicken Breasts - Boneless Skinless, 4 oz 120 0g 2g 26g 75mg 70mg 0g 0g
    Dole - Packaged Salads - Shredded Lettuce, 6 oz (85 g) 30 6g 0g 2g 0mg 20mg 4g 2g
    Generic - Fresh Whole Tomato, 0.5 tomato (cup) 18 4g 0g 1g 0mg 8mg 0g 1g
    Marie's - Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing, 2 tbsp 160 0g 17g 1g 0mg 170mg 0g 0g
    Dinner
    chicken and baby sugar snap peas, 1 meal 368 17g 19g 32g 75mg 268mg 7g 5g
    Snacks
    Kroger - Yogurt Fat Free Plain, 1 cup 120 17g 0g 12g 2mg 180mg 17g 0g
    TOTALS: 1,162 67g 60g 91g 152mg 969mg 33g 20g

Do I take the 20 fiber off of my carbs or is it already included that. Marie
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss Calie!

Question...how many carbs are you averaging daily? I know I am only cosuming between 20 and 30.

Thanks LL for the start of this thread!

Crys
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi Crys, I am just now getting serious about my carbs count. I din't know veggies had so many. I used to just count the starche ones. I thought all the greener veggies was free. No womder I wasn't losing as much. Yes I really like this thread Been a big help to me. I am having to change some of my ways . I have never had anyone to talk to before except the doctors and I don't think they understand living with diabetes. At least that been my experience. This is opening up a whole new life for me. And the girls are so nice.

You are not eating hardly any.,. I think I want to keep mine at 60 a day. That will give me a carb serving before bedtime.
    Marie