Carb Conscious Peeps - May 2009

Options

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

On the weekends, I am on and off due to trying to spend time with my husband since I work days and my hubby works nights, we don't see each other all week long, so weekend is catch up and spend time together time.

As far as counting calories, if you are eating whole foods and not processed (boxed, frozen, ready to eat) type foods, then you are controlling your calories naturally.............

It is ok to eat whole eggs - you don't have to eat just one whole egg and the whites of other eggs. The iron and other vital nutrients are concentrated in the yolk. I eat between 3-6 eggs a day, eat red meat (fat and all), regular pork, etc...........

I don't count calories and I don't count fat since I am not eating trans fats. I went to get my cholesterol taken again - got it first taken at the end of January, so I am waiting for the results.

I am more worried about my triglyceride counts and not my total cholesterol or my HDL to LDL ratio since I do know that Low Carb will lower the cholesterol. High triglycerides are more detrimental to your health than high cholesterol.

I will let everyone know what the test results are. The proof is in the pudding as far as seeing is believing with Low Carb.................

Last night for supper, I smoked Cornish Hens on the grill and they were fabulous!!! We also had salad, green beans and mashed sweet potatoes. Very low carb meal there.

Tonight, I am making spaghetti squash, hamburger and home made pasta sauce, so I know what goes in it. Of course I will also have a salad.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Good morning Lioness!!

And everyone else!!

I had a good day yesterday - except for the handful of chips I snuck in while watching a movie last night with the family. Even then - my blood sugars were o.k. It was a small handful! Did have some popcorn though - 2 cups was 50 calories, 6 grams of carb and 2 grams of fiber. Not bad!! Only 4 grams of net carb - and tasty!

Hope everyone is off to a great week!! :drinker:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Popcorn is ok to have as long as you measure it out and don't do the mindless munching.........

It is a food that is listed as Ok in the Atkins book, for like the end of Phase 2 or beginning of Phase 3.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Good to hear from so many of you yesterday. thanks for all the tips. I have been on this South Beach diet 1 week today and have lost 4 lbs on it. I couldn't be happyer.

For breakfast I had:
    1/2 cup egg beaters, and a mixture of Red bell peppers ,tomatoes and eggplant roasted in my turbo cooker. I really like using it. It has really came in handy. I cook my chicken in it last night with mrs, Dash seasoning along with some green bell peppers, fresh green onion and 1/2 tomatoes And some sugar snap peas. I had plain yogurt with 1 pkg of stivia and some Cherry extract to flaver it up some for my bedtime snacks.. Nothing wrong with this way of eating. I got to get me some fresh eggs. For lunch I plan on chili beans, with some fresh sl. veggies. Wasn't sure about the sugar snap peas But I had them in the freezer and I like them. I should get about 4 meals out of the pfg.

My Sweating to the Oldies with Richard Simmons just came in the mail. I am listening to it now. Sounds great. That Amazon really do a quick shipment.

Its time to get in shower and wash hair and fix it and then I will be ready to go dancing with Richard Simmions. See you guys later

Caliecat
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Your breakfast and lunch sounds good!!! Except I opt for whole eggs, I have tried egg beaters, just can't do it. I am used to eting eggs straight from the farm!!

I had baby carrots, cucumber slices and chicken salad I made yesterday. It is yummy, yummy good. I will probably have the same for lunch!!
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Since we are reporting breakfast, I had a spinach, artichoke omelette with just under a quarter ounce of parmesan cheese. It was wonderful! I am still happy about it! :happy: And, LL, I know I could have two eggs rather than an egg and a white, I prefer the lighter omelette I get with that combo. I save the calories, and besides, the yoke is not my favorite part of the egg. Just me. Have a good week, all.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Since we are reporting breakfast, I had a spinach, artichoke omelette with just under a quarter ounce of parmesan cheese. It was wonderful! I am still happy about it! :happy: And, LL, I know I could have two eggs rather than an egg and a white, I prefer the lighter omelette I get with that combo. I save the calories, and besides, the yoke is not my favorite part of the egg. Just me. Have a good week, all.

Good morning StillKristi.

I wasn't pointing it out to you, I was saying in general because the "low fat" mentality has been beat into our heads over the years and I whole heartedly believe the low fat / low calorie thing of the 70's through today is what is making us fatter and sicker than our ancestors.............

I eat all the fat that i want, even fatty cuts of red meat. In the end, it takes less to make me satisfied and tastes better, so I end up eating less.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Lioness do you eat Beef Franks. One of my faverite. In 1969 in WW We were allowed 6 oz of all beef franks at one meal. I was in ho heaven. I don't belive at that time we could have pork. But full fat cheese we coulld have in moderation. Any way it works, I lost an average of 10 lbs a month and never had a gain. I always look forward to Friday nite and those weiners. All 6 of them. and mustard. But it being process I don't think my body could handle that now. A lot older now.
    Caliecat
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Lioness do you eat Beef Franks. One of my faverite. In 1969 in WW We were allowed 6 oz of all beef franks at one meal. I was in ho heaven. I don't belive at that time we could have pork. But full fat cheese we coulld have in moderation. Any way it works, I lost an average of 10 lbs a month and never had a gain. I always look forward to Friday nite and those weiners. All 6 of them. and mustard. But it being process I don't think my body could handle that now. A lot older now.
    Caliecat

Yes, I buy all beef (angus certified) skinless franks. They are all natural, no nitrates or other preservatives, so they have to be consumed quickly. There are 4 in a pack and they are .25 pound each. I eat them bunless cut up with mustard, onions, sugar-free relish and chili sauce, cheddar cheese.

I will have 2 of those and a salad.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks I will look for them.Caliecat
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Where did everyone go that was posting to this thread????

Wow I thought we were going to have good dialogue and learn from each other.........

I changed my supper tonight and I am making low carb chicken enchiladas instead.........
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    evening guys......
    well, things went well with the lawyer today. got good news. so decided to take the new place. so moving up the road the 1st of june. bigger, better home.
    tomorrow is my back into the game. start my counting again, and get together a workout plan for the time being. after the move it will change again. hitting the gym tomorrow for a great workout. going to make myself sweat.

well, just wanted to check in, be back tomorrow.

later :heart:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    evening guys......
    well, things went well with the lawyer today. got good news. so decided to take the new place. so moving up the road the 1st of june. bigger, better home.
    tomorrow is my back into the game. start my counting again, and get together a workout plan for the time being. after the move it will change again. hitting the gym tomorrow for a great workout. going to make myself sweat.

well, just wanted to check in, be back tomorrow.

later :heart:

That in deed is good news!!!

Get back on the wagon with us Girl!!!

I am going to post my low carb enchilada recipe soon!! It is in the oven baking right now.
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    haha...we are here!!! I've been doing a LOT of packing lately. Found a place to live yet I might have to go back to dial-up since there's no other service up in the mountains yet. :noway:

I have started my good ole monthly interuption and am having a real hard time with this. I have NOT cheated but I want to so badly :ohwell: I feel so tired and don't even want to think about working out. I am looking foward to the week for the weather is supposed to be in the 80's and I plan on taking some nice runs (or walks) :happy:

Anyone have any ideas on snacks?? Lately for me it's been pickles, peanuts or even altered deviled eggs.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

Crys
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I have almonds, raw veggies with Ranch, deviled eggs, cubed cheese or string cheese for snacks.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Here is the recipe for the low carb enchilada recipe. It is a creamy sauce, not the red sauce.........

Tried to post a pic, wouldn't go through for some reason...........

Here is the link, you will have to copy it and paste it in your browser.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/leanlioness/Low Carb Recipe Pics/LowCarbTortilla1.jpg

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 cup sour cream
    1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast meat
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
    6 (12 inch) flour tortillas (Mission Low Carb)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking dish.

2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the green onion until tender (about 3 to 4 minutes). Add the garlic powder, then stir in the green chiles, cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Mix well. Reserve 3/4 of this sauce and set aside. To the remaining 1/4 of the sauce in the saucepan, add the chicken and 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese. Stir together.

3. Fill each flour tortilla with the chicken mixture and roll up. Place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.

4. In a small bowl combine the reserved 3/4 of the sauce with the milk. Spoon this mixture over the rolled tortillas and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Just checkin in. Been a long day - we just got done cleaning the office and are heading home soon. Had an excellent dinner - a large T-bone steak, green beans with some Niblets corn and a salad. Yummy. Love that home grown beef! Have a good night all!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Hi guys! Just checkin in. Been a long day - we just got done cleaning the office and are heading home soon. Had an excellent dinner - a large T-bone steak, green beans with some Niblets corn and a salad. Yummy. Love that home grown beef! Have a good night all!

Yay, home grown beef is the best!!

We ge our beef from a local farm, it is fresh, hormone free - grass fed beef. :drinker: :drinker:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    LL!
    Your recipe sounds great. Do you have a carb/calorie breakdown? That would really be helpful.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    haha...we are here!!! I've been doing a LOT of packing lately. Found a place to live yet I might have to go back to dial-up since there's no other service up in the mountains yet. :noway:

I have started my good ole monthly interuption and am having a real hard time with this. I have NOT cheated but I want to so badly :ohwell: I feel so tired and don't even want to think about working out. I am looking foward to the week for the weather is supposed to be in the 80's and I plan on taking some nice runs (or walks) :happy:

Anyone have any ideas on snacks?? Lately for me it's been pickles, peanuts or even altered deviled eggs.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

Crys

I've been snacking on raw lentils lately. Just rehydrate them and munch. They taste a little like raw peas, which I love. 96 cals an ounce. 16 carbs, but 9 grams of fiber, so effective carb count is actually 7. Also, 8 grams of protein, so nice source of protein. And, it really helps get your daily fiber! :happy:

Here are some carb bargain snacks:

fewer than 3 carbs:
    1/4 cup blackberries
    6 fresh asparagus spears
    1 cup chopped raw broccoli or cauliflower florettes
    1/2 a cucumber
    1/2 cup raw or cooked mushrooms
    1/2 cup boiled summer squash

fewer than 5 carbs
    1/2 medium avacado
    1/4 cup blue berries
    1/2 cup strawberries
    1 med. carrot
    1 med tomato
    1/2 cup wax or snap beans
    1/2 cup chopped fresh fennel
    1 oz sunflower seeds
    1 oz walnuts
    1 oz macadamia nuts
    1 oz peanuts
    1 oz sliced lean meat
    1 oz string cheese
    1 hard bolied egg
    1/4 cup cottage cheese
    apple with cheddar slices (1/4 apple, 1 oz cheese)
    Jerky (depends on type)