Carb Conscious Peeps - May 2009

Options

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!!

I am finally back on with electricity and internet service. I live in the area in Southern Illinois that was hit with the inland hurricane Friday afternoon.

Carbondale, IL - where I work is pretty demolished and I live about 40 minutes north of there. It look me over 3 hours to get home due to having to navigate through the downed trees and power lines.

We are all ok though.

Have to read to catch up on our threads, but will be back posting soon!!
    NWS calls Friday storm 'an inland hurricane'

Staff and Wire Report

A severe weather event narrowly missed the area on Friday, as a severe storm caused major damage in Williamson and Jackson counties.

According to The Associated Press, thunderstorms packing 100-mph winds and spawning funnel clouds ransacked Southern Illinois Friday, snapping trees, peeling siding off homes and leaving thousands without power, emergency officials said.

In Marion, Mayor Robert Butler surveyed the damage to his town and declared a 7 p.m. curfew, according to the Marion Daily Republican. Williamson County officials declared a 9 p.m. curfew for the rest of the county.

The Marion newspaper reported Friday evening that National Weather Service officials referred to Friday’s storm as “an inland hurricane.”

According to the Ameren IP Web site, 64,433 customers in Southern Illinois were without power as of 7 p.m. Friday evening. Ameren reported 95 percent of Gallatin and Williamson counties were without electricity, while 87 percent of Jackson County and 49 percent of Franklin County were without power.

The power company reported five customers in Jefferson County sustained power outages, though it was unclear if those outages were related to Friday’s storm.

Williamson and Jackson County officials urged residents to stay at home to make room for cleanup of roads, with several towns declaring curfews for the repair work.

A truck driver who had to be extricated from an overturned semitrailer was in serious condition after a “major trauma,” said Rosslynd Rice, a spokeswoman for Southern Illinois Healthcare.

About six other patients with minor injuries were being treated at the Memorial Hospital of Carbondale, she said.

“It tore the [heck] out of things,” said Calvin Brown at the Cherry Street Pub in Herrin. “It was wicked. I haven’t seen that in a long time.”

Winds blew out car windows, Brown said. It tore roofing from buildings and separated the fiberglass from the pub’s sign.

Power outages forced the cancellation of commencement ceremonies Friday at Southern Illinois University’s Carbondale campus, said university spokesman Rod Sievers.

“It’s just a mess on campus,” he said. Power is out, hundreds of trees are down and many dorm windows are broken, he said, but there were no injuries. “We were very lucky,” Sievers said.

If power returns, commencement ceremonies scheduled for Saturday will go on as planned. It was finals week at the school, and many students had left campus because they were finished with tests.

Carbondale Township Fire Capt. Mark Black said he was not sure if a tornado touched down in his area, but said “the winds were just amazing. They were howling and the siding on the trailers was flying through the air and there was a pretty hard rain.”

Law enforcement agencies reported tornado touchdowns in the Jackson County community of Raddle and just south of Pinckneyville in Perry County, National Weather Service meteorologist Amy Seeley said.

Derek Misener of Jackson County’s emergency management agency said he suspects his area may have had multiple tornadoes, with “substantial countywide damage and injuries.”

Seeley said a strong line of thunderstorms, packing fierce winds, hail and reported tornadoes, began moving through the region Friday morning.

Wind gusts in the Carbondale area reached 100 mph around 1:30 p.m., and sustained winds were as high as 90 mph.

Ruth Sarmiento, 63, was at her factory maintenance job when the storm hit, and returned to her blue-and-white-sided trailer home on the north side of Carbondale to find her home blown onto its side, leaning against a tree.

She bought the house for $800 two years ago after her previous trailer home, about two blocks away, burned to the ground. The Guatemalan immigrant, who has no family in the area and said she doesn’t have enough money to buy a new home, shrugged off concern about where she will stay.

“I’m not worried,” she said through a translator. “I will find someplace.”

Damage was reported in Williamson County and Jackson County, with more reports expected to come in later Friday, said Illinois Emergency Management Agency spokeswoman Patti Thompson. Janet George, who answered the phone at the Illinois State Police District 13 office in DuQuoin, said there were reports of storm damage in the seven counties that office handles.

The storm knocked out phone service to much of Williamson County, making it difficult to determine whether there were any injuries, said Charmaine Chenoweth of the county’s emergency management agency in Marion.

“There are downed trees, downed power lines, roofs blown off homes and outbuildings,” Chenoweth said.

David Gugerty, 28, a graduate student at Southern Illinois University, said a tree crushed his car and a branch tore through the roof of his trailer, coming to rest atop his refrigerator.

“I’m sitting in the trailer park trying to decide which way to run,” Gugerty said.

Veronica Tehandon, 33, returned to her Carbondale mobile home to find most of her trees snapped in two or toppled over. One crushed the roof of her white Honda Passport.

“I’m very sad about the trees,” she said. “I really prided myself in those trees.”

As a result of the storms, the State Emergency Operations Center in Springfield was activated.

“We’re in close contact with our local emergency management partners and stand ready to provide the assistance they need to protect public health and safety,” said Illinois Emergency Management Director Andrew Velasques III.

The SEOC is managed by IEMA and liaisons from several state agencies are at the SEOC including ISP, Illinois Department of Transportation, Illinois Department of Public Health, Department of Central Management Services and the American Red Cross.

IEMA has dispatched staff to the counties and is working with the local officials to assess assistance needs, the ISP has dispatched troopers from adjoining districts to assist with traffic direction and security, and IDOT crews are clearing debris and trees from state routes in the area.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Hope you all are well - Lioness that sounds like quite the storm! Glad you are o.k. - praying for affected people in your area. What a mess :noway:

We had an excellent weekend - the Montana Women's Run was fabulous!! There were 6970 women involved in running and/or walking 2 or 5 miles. What a sight!!! Had lots of fun. Sun we packed a picnic and went up into the mountains - ate lunch, hiked about 5 miles into beautiful country, then did a little fishing - caught nothin' though! And just had a blast. Plus on Sun I finally broke 200 lbs. :drinker: Happy dance, happy dance!! I was really excited.

Hope everyone had a great weekend - we are super busy here at work today. It slowed down enough for lunch and browsing - but I don't think it will last. Makes the day go by fast though! See ya'll around.
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    LL-Good to hear you're doing ok ! We've missed you!

Marie-Aren't you happy to be done with Phase 1?

So today is first day of Phase 2 but I'm going to take it slow. I had 2 eggs and a piece of multigrain toast this morning and I felt so full after the piece of toast! I really don't want to get back in the habit of eating a lot of bread so I figure if I limit myself to a slice a day I should be ok. My husband works for a bread company so it is always in the house! Today will also be the first day of having a piece of fruit which I am looking foward to. I did lose quite a bit of weight the first week but only a pound the second week which is ok with me considering it was mostly water weight. My official weigh in days are Thursday so I'm hoping that ticker will change!

Hope everyone has a great Monday!
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    hi! just bumping to keep in my topics, I am trying a low carb lifestyle as well!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have been trying to get caught up on house work since I am not working and probably will not work at all this week.

My town got some damage and we lost power from Friday afternoon until today. But, the town I work in got extensive damage. Railroad crossings were blown over, power lines were knocked down into the railroad tracks, trains just started running again today and not that many, only a few, so they still have a long way to go.

I live in a very rural, small town area of the Midwest (Southern Illinois) and help is very slow going getting here.................

I have done ok with eating though, we have grilled out and I have stuck to mostly protein, so hoping this gets me going on weight loss really good again.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    hi! just bumping to keep in my topics, I am trying a low carb lifestyle as well!

Hi CodyKitty!!

Glad to have you aboard................

We are trying our best to be very clean eaters in this group as natural is the best way to go!!!

Post often and we also have a recipe thread going so feel free to add any new creations or anything that was posted on another site that keeps you going strong.

Variety is the spice of life with a low carb lifestyle!!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Yes Crys I am glad. I really missed my fruit. all i am adding this week is berries for beakfast, still no bread products or patotoes. I really did n't missed them that much.

MTGirl---- I love those T-shirts you are all wearing. Are you the tall one in the bunch. You have a lovely Mothern and daughter. glad you had fun , fishing and all.

Lioness, My husband is from Ill. He is from Centralia.Ill. Saw some of the damage there . that was terrible.

Kristi--- I got my books today. They talk about low carb bread . Where do you get that?

Chipper---- How are you doing? Did you have a nice day yesterday?

Caliecat
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options

Hi CodyKitty!!

We are trying our best to be very clean eaters in this group as natural is the best way to go!!!

Post often and we also have a recipe thread going so feel free to add any new creations or anything that was posted on another site that keeps you going strong.

Thanks! I'm trying to remember this dessert I made when I was on atkins, I used sugar free lemon jello, one cup boiling water and then I mixed it in an electric mixer with a container of cream cheese...I can't remember the exact ingredients or measurements tho. I'm going to try to make it soon and report back. It is supposed to be like a lemon cheesecake, it was so delicious!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Yes Crys I am glad. I really missed my fruit. all i am adding this week is berries for beakfast, still no bread products or patotoes. I really did n't missed them that much.

MTGirl---- I love those T-shirts you are all wearing. Are you the tall one in the bunch. You have a lovely Mothern and daughter. glad you had fun , fishing and all.

Lioness, My husband is from Ill. He is from Centralia.Ill. Saw some of the damage there . that was terrible.

Kristi--- I got my books today. They talk about low carb bread . Where do you get that?

Chipper---- How are you doing? Did you have a nice day yesterday?

Caliecat

Wow, Centralia is about 33 miles North of where I live............................
  • LeanLioness
    Options

Hi CodyKitty!!

Thanks! I'm trying to remember this dessert I made when I was on atkins, I used sugar free lemon jello, one cup boiling water and then I mixed it in an electric mixer with a container of cream cheese...I can't remember the exact ingredients or measurements tho. I'm going to try to make it soon and report back. It is supposed to be like a lemon cheesecake, it was so delicious!

That sounds delicious!!!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    What restaurants do you find more low carb choices? I'm going to be faced with more eating out decisions & it's good to be prepared.
    I had a Claim Jumper Cobb Salad Saturday night. It was delish!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi Georg, your cobb salad sounds good. I don't eat out very much. But when I do I stick to grilled meats and grilled veggies. No hot buns. My daughter do quite well eating out . She just ask them to leave off what she can't have. Like rice croutons etc. And get substitutions. Its is a matter of choice.

Caliecat
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    yes, i am around. having a pitty party of sorts. new week for me so time to buckle down. had a huge gain, i am ok with it. it was from choices i made and i learn each time i slip, which makes me grow. we can never stop growing from learning.

see foot doc today i have had this pocket of fluid on the bottom/side of my foot for 2 weeks now. i just wanted to see if it would go away, which it hasn't, it does hurt. in the mornings i can't walk on it. but, as the day goes on and i walk on it it smooths out and isn't as painful. strange thing so see doc and staying off my foot until then so it will remain it's little ball.

i had a good peanut butter chocolate dessert, but it got packed yesterday. i will hunt down the recipe and post in recipes later.

off to dress and get a cup of coffee.

later
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    posted the peanut butter cup recipe in the recipe section it's so good.....
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!! How's it goin"? Did my water aerobics this a.m. - I'm going to start calling my instructor Jillian :laugh: Whew, good work out though. Gonna be another super busy day - I should just quit saying that. It's going to be that way until the end of June. :yawn: But at least this year I'm not stalled out and am losing weight!! And having fun doing it to. Hope you all have a great Tuesday. I can't wait to see the Biggest Loser Finale tonight :drinker:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    What restaurants do you find more low carb choices? I'm going to be faced with more eating out decisions & it's good to be prepared.
    I had a Claim Jumper Cobb Salad Saturday night. It was delish!

You can never go wrong with steak, grilled chicken breast, baked / broiled fish, steamed or grilled veggies..........

Just say NO to rice, pasta, bread, crutons and low fat stuff. :laugh: :laugh:

Eating out is very easy to do!!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Well, I weighed in and I am down to 212 as of today!!!

12 pounds away from Onderland!!! i can't wait to be out of the 200's and back down into the 100's.........

I feel like a major fat cow..............
  • Kimlane70
    Kimlane70 Posts: 117
    Options
    Hey everyone. So glad to have found you all. I started Atkins on April 24th. I stayed on Induction for 11 days. Then my heart started acting up so I started adding in more good carbs. I have supra-ventricular tachycardia where my hearts electrical system sometimes goes haywire. My doctor told me it would be safe, but for the whole time my heart was kinda pounding and then I had that terrible episode so I know for me being too carb restriictive is out of the question. However, for the first time I have been counting my carbs. I know there's something to this having too many carbs so I am watching my carb count carefully. I added strawberries and watermelon to my diet as they are on the lower carb end for fruits. I have low thyroid which I'm assuming is making it very difficult for me to lose weight. This has been a 10 year (and counting) battle, and I'm getting so frustrated with it all. So again glad to have found you all.......gives me a renewed energy. KIM
  • CALIECAT
    Options

12 pounds away from Onderland!!! i can't wait to be out of the 200's and back down into the 100's.........

ll--
    Congrats on your weight lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go.

Me I feel like a major FAT PIG . For lunch I am having 3 oz. hamburger grilled , some roasted peppers and onions serve over sheedded lettuce. With a little ful fat blue cheese.Dressing.

I have stayed the same for the last 6 days and even gain a lb this morning, What am I doing wrong.
    the nurse told me to have 1/2 peanut butter sandwich before bed for my surgery in the morning.

Caliecat
  • LeanLioness
    Options

ll--
    Congrats on your weight lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go.

Me I feel like a major FAT PIG . For lunch I am having 3 oz. hamburger grilled , some roasted peppers and onions serve over sheedded lettuce. With a little ful fat blue cheese.Dressing.

I have stayed the same for the last 6 days and even gain a lb this morning, What am I doing wrong.
    the nurse told me to have 1/2 peanut butter sandwich before bed for my surgery in the morning.

Caliecat

Are you eating a lot of grains or crackers, bread (even whole grains)?

For me, that stops my loss in a heart beat..............My body is very sensitive to grains..............