I wish my gym had a ban on ___________

Options

Replies

• aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Children.... which to me is ANYONE under 18.... (well, I could make an exception here and there, but it would be a case by case basis).

AND.... Mother's who have no freakin' sense and bring their 8 yr. old SON into the WOMEN'S locker room! There are FAMILY locker rooms just for this situation.

You must not have kids...

I agree with kids not being in the gym part, but sometimes you have to drag your son into the women's locker room if the family one is full! Especially if he has to pee. I am not sending him in the men's locker room by himself!

I can appreciate that a need is a need, but I've felt pretty violated before by unexpected male children in the adult locker room. If there's a family locker room that's child-friendly and an adult one that isn't, I choose the adult one, because I don't want to feel like a creep for being naked like I should be allowed to in a locker room. I really don't want to get naked in front of someone's 8 year old boy.

I know it's not as simple as just leaving your kids at home or whatever, but it makes me really uncomfortable to be confronted with other people's kids, particularly boys, when I'm naked.

I can understand that- and I have kids. On the flip side, I have a 9 year old daughter who is not allowed to use the women's changing room until she is 12, but she is absolutely horrified to change in the family room where mothers bring boys even older than herself. My solution- I bring her into the women's room anyway, but I go in first to make sure no one is a state of undress that would make them uncomfortable if she entered. If there is someone, well, I cover her head MJ style with my workout towel and guide her back to the bathroom stalls instead of the changing area.

I think it's weirder for a 9 year old girl to have to change near a 10 year old boy than it is for a 20+ year old women to change near a 9 year old girl. The problem is that kids, boys and girls, don't have the social awareness yet to pretend not to be curious and so they can't help but look. I know it would make me uncomfortable too, so I try to make it easier for everyone involved.

What really bothers me are the other moms that bring their kids in the family changing room when they are clearly old enough to wait outside for her. My daughter has to change for swim, so she has to go somewhere, but the last time I brought her into the family room, a woman brought her two boys (about 10 and 8) in with her while she changed, and they sat on the benches playing on her phone. They didn't pee or change, they were just waiting for her. There is a darn game room and lounge area at our YMCA that is 5 feet from the family changing room entrance- they would have been fine waiting there. They were already dressed for basketball. My daughter was VERY uncomfortable- she has to get completely naked to get into a swimsuit and there are small gaps between the curtain and the wall so if someone was looking, they would see what was going on. She wouldn't change with them there, so we were 5 minutes late to practice and she earned a 3 lap punishment.

I think moms should be more open to talking to each other. If this woman had looked at another mom nearby and asked if they would keep an eye on hers while she changed, I bet any one of them would have said yes. The lounge area is normally quite busy with women coming out of cardio classes or women waiting for the next one to start.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Women in the free weight room when there is a "Women's Gym" section fully furnished. Not that I don't mind a little "eye candy" but not in the gym and not with the cameltoe look in her spandex. That's pretty ferocious when it is all sweaty down there.

Obviously, I'm speaking about someone in particular. Hopefully she's not on MFP...
    WTF...want me to wear a full hijab while you are at it. I workout in the free weight part of the gym, last time i looked i didn´t have a penis but nobody will tell me that i should workout somewhere else.

Hahahaah awesome response. Also dude, I would totally utilize my women's section of the gym if the dumbbells ran above 30lbs. -.-

HOLY MOLY! with those arms I doubt any man would make you move to a different section, you obviously know what your doing

Yeah I imagine the "Women's" section of the gym ISN'T fully furnished. so that's a no-go. but heck I'd work out in there too if it was, I just can't imagine a gym spending hte extra money on a full set of power racks/barbells/benches etc that probably won't see very much use. Go over there and tell us if it really is FULLY furnished or not. I want to know.

Most women-only areas of gyms are pathetically lacking weights. So yeah, get back to us buddy if the women's section provides us with a power rack and platform. Otherwise, STFU.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    on people who make horrible noises while lifting the weights. we are going for reps most of the time, so if you cant move the weight easily then obviously you arent as strong as you want everyone to think and you need to take some weight off your bar!

Huh? Heavy lifters don't "go for reps" they go for failure.
    thats only if you are trying to find your max weight. we go for reps all the time during actual work outs.

Again, huh? I have sets of (generally) 4 - 6 reps and plan my weight to hit failure. All the guys hitting the gym when I am do the same, as well as my dh. My trainers and research says this is appropriate for lifting heavy and pushing strength.

well that’s your perspective. here is an example of one of our WOD's. I've always found crossfit way more effective than training at the gym, but i guess everyone has a different style of exercise which suits them best.

Five rounds, each for individual time:
    (rest 90 seconds between rounds)

5 Power Cleans (m:135lb,w:95lb)
    10 Front Squat (same wt.)
    5 Push Jerk (same wt.)
    20 Pull-ups
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    on people who make horrible noises while lifting the weights. we are going for reps most of the time, so if you cant move the weight easily then obviously you arent as strong as you want everyone to think and you need to take some weight off your bar!

thats only if you are trying to find your max weight. we go for reps all the time during actual work outs.

Again, huh? I have sets of (generally) 4 - 6 reps and plan my weight to hit failure. All the guys hitting the gym when I am do the same, as well as my dh. My trainers and research says this is appropriate for lifting heavy and pushing strength.

well that’s your perspective. here is an example of one of our WOD's. I've always found crossfit way more effective than training at the gym, but i guess everyone has a different style of exercise which suits them best.

5 Push Jerk (same wt.)
    20 Pull-ups

I love to see women break from traditional strength training stuff and really hit the weights hard like that. Very cool. :)
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Women (mostly) who talk loudly on their cell phone. If you were *really* working out, you wouldn't be able to talk, you silly gym bunny.
  • LadieLahThomas
    Options
    ...people wearing full snow suit and trying to work out at the same time :embarassed:
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Loud music from the house speakers.
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    peeps who shave themselves in the handsinks, comon like really? no really? you couldnt do that from home u bunch of dirty disgusting pigs with no consideration for others, wait did i say that outloud? and gyms should ban walls and be outside facilties only
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Body odor. I sweat like an absolute pig when I work out, but I wear this magical stuff called deodorant. I pack it in my gym bag, and reapply as necessary. It's simple, people.

Nothing else bothers me, I don't care if you slam weights around, grunt, pose in the mirror, wear perfume, talk on your cellphone... if I can smell you 3 machines away, I'm gonna barf.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Children.... which to me is ANYONE under 18.... (well, I could make an exception here and there, but it would be a case by case basis).

AND.... Mother's who have no freakin' sense and bring their 8 yr. old SON into the WOMEN'S locker room! There are FAMILY locker rooms just for this situation.

I agree with kids not being in the gym part, but sometimes you have to drag your son into the women's locker room if the family one is full! Especially if he has to pee. I am not sending him in the men's locker room by himself!

I can appreciate that a need is a need, but I've felt pretty violated before by unexpected male children in the adult locker room. If there's a family locker room that's child-friendly and an adult one that isn't, I choose the adult one, because I don't want to feel like a creep for being naked like I should be allowed to in a locker room. I really don't want to get naked in front of someone's 8 year old boy.

I know it's not as simple as just leaving your kids at home or whatever, but it makes me really uncomfortable to be confronted with other people's kids, particularly boys, when I'm naked.

I can understand that- and I have kids. On the flip side, I have a 9 year old daughter who is not allowed to use the women's changing room until she is 12, but she is absolutely horrified to change in the family room where mothers bring boys even older than herself. My solution- I bring her into the women's room anyway, but I go in first to make sure no one is a state of undress that would make them uncomfortable if she entered. If there is someone, well, I cover her head MJ style with my workout towel and guide her back to the bathroom stalls instead of the changing area.

I think it's weirder for a 9 year old girl to have to change near a 10 year old boy than it is for a 20+ year old women to change near a 9 year old girl. The problem is that kids, boys and girls, don't have the social awareness yet to pretend not to be curious and so they can't help but look. I know it would make me uncomfortable too, so I try to make it easier for everyone involved.

What really bothers me are the other moms that bring their kids in the family changing room when they are clearly old enough to wait outside for her. My daughter has to change for swim, so she has to go somewhere, but the last time I brought her into the family room, a woman brought her two boys (about 10 and 8) in with her while she changed, and they sat on the benches playing on her phone. They didn't pee or change, they were just waiting for her. There is a darn game room and lounge area at our YMCA that is 5 feet from the family changing room entrance- they would have been fine waiting there. They were already dressed for basketball. My daughter was VERY uncomfortable- she has to get completely naked to get into a swimsuit and there are small gaps between the curtain and the wall so if someone was looking, they would see what was going on. She wouldn't change with them there, so we were 5 minutes late to practice and she earned a 3 lap punishment.

I think moms should be more open to talking to each other. If this woman had looked at another mom nearby and asked if they would keep an eye on hers while she changed, I bet any one of them would have said yes. The lounge area is normally quite busy with women coming out of cardio classes or women waiting for the next one to start.

I feel for your daughter. That would upset me too. Our "Family Changing Rooms" aren't shared. There are 4-6 of them and they are for ONE family at a time. Our Women's locker room is split with an adult only side. I have no problem whatsoever with a mother bringing her Daughter of any age into the women's locker room and even over onto the adult only side. She isn't going to see anything that she isn't going to get lol.... But the boys! It just baffles me!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    exercise anorexics. I know it's a serious illness but it is hard to watch a skeletal girl kill herself on the elliptical for an hour.

Oh god I was wondering what to write when I saw this. There's one at my gym. I thought at first it was a girl and in my head I was like "She is horribly thin" when I switched machines I realised it was a guy - I'm 110lb and he must have been 100....so sad.
  • Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    Fox News

THIS!!! Please don't force to watch Fox News. Let's just pick something neutral for common TVs please.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options

I feel for your daughter. That would upset me too. Our "Family Changing Rooms" aren't shared. There are 4-6 of them and they are for ONE family at a time. Our Women's locker room is split with an adult only side. I have no problem whatsoever with a mother bringing her Daughter of any age into the women's locker room and even over onto the adult only side. She isn't going to see anything that she isn't going to get lol.... But the boys! It just baffles me!

We also have the family changing rooms...there are 4 of them:( It bugs the crap out of me that I can't take my daughter into the woman's locker room! the idea is a great one...for families where the father takes the daughter or a mom takes her son...but for parent and child of the same sex it just doesn't make any sense.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Women in the free weight room when there is a "Women's Gym" section fully furnished. Not that I don't mind a little "eye candy" but not in the gym and not with the cameltoe look in her spandex. That's pretty ferocious when it is all sweaty down there.

Is it because you get embarrassed when we lift more than you?

lol ^^ Awesome!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options

5 Push Jerk (same wt.)
    20 Pull-ups

I love to see women break from traditional strength training stuff and really hit the weights hard like that. Very cool. :)

• PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    anyone near me talking loudly...
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    A ban on weights, everyone should use body weight as there resistence
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    People standing around and stare at people and don't actually work out.... There is this one mexican guy that get on one of the machines and just stares at any woman in front of him until she get uncomfortable and moves.... I
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    you:laugh:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    after last night??? people camping in the express circuit training area

GTFO OUT OF THE FAST TRACK UNLESS YOU ARE DOING FAST TRACK WORK! THERE IS AN ENTIRE WEIGHT ROOM WITH NO TIME LIMIT ON THE MACHINES!!! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MESS UP 15 OTHER PEOPLE'S WORKOUT YOU VAIN *kitten*?

shushes