how long have you been married (or ...)

Options

Replies

• Krissy_b777
    Options
    -Together 18 years, every since he was in the 9th grade and I was in the 10th (HS sweethearts)

-Married 10 yrs on April 20, 2012. Three kids: 13, 7 and a half, and 10.

-We have had our shares of ups and downs, but we are still together and very much in love. :heart:
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    42 years, 4 kids, wouldn't change a thing.
  • laucarrillo
    laucarrillo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been married for 23 years coming this Sunday, Yes, is not easy specially because he is skinny and I'm overweight and he does not understand it but I think he still loves me, I love him and we will continue working for a happy marriage, a good example for our 3 wonderful daughters 16, 15 and 12.
  • MakingProgress
    Options
    Three years next month. I love him a little more every day.

Was previously married for eight years, and it was just the opposite. I am very thankful that my current husband is nothing like the first one. If he was, I'd divorce him and swear off marriage forever!
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    Options
    Together 4 years and married for one year in April. I hear people talk about failing marriages all the time. I come from parents who have been married for 35 happy years and my husband comes from parents that were married over 20 years when his mother passed away. I'm hoping that the foundation our parents set for us will keep us grounded. When we were decorating for my wedding my mother told me "you're crazy if you think you'll never question the decision you're making tomorrow. How can we ever find growth if we never question...but what you should never let happen is allow those questions to come between you and your husband."

Her keys to a long happy marriage (and I think she would know)

1) Always be honest even when its uncomfortable.
    2) Forgive...we are all flawed and his flaws are not worst than yours.
    3) Treat your marriage like its tender and precious...don't let outside people become invovled in what happens between your husband and you.
    4) Make decisions together.
    5) Don't hold grudges
    6) Don't yell and curse when you argue and never hang up the phone on each other.
    7) Do nice things for each other always not just on special occasions
    8) Make God the center of your relationship and find a sturdy foundation in that.
    9) Always try your hardest to get a long with each other's families (Never speak poorly of eachother's families to each other).
    10) NEVER STOP HAVING SEX. When you stop being physical with one another it is inevitable that one person will stray from the marriage or that a very important intimate connection will be lost.

Being a newly wed I have people tell me all the time..."well you know most marriages end in divorice." or "Yea...tell me how great he is in 10 years." I'm holding out hope that we were actually meant to be together and that neither of us will get lazy and will always make this union work. I've loved hearing all of you who are so happy with your spouses after years of being together...its encouraging for us newlyweds! :love:
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    We've been married 3 years, lived together 3 years before that. Previously he was married 30 years and I was married 24, neither was good by any means. We met and 3 months later we both filed for divorce from our spouses and never looked back.
  • Holly1019
    Holly1019 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    together since early in 93... married in april of 97 :) (usually very happily) so married 15 together 19!
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend for almost 1 year and 6 months. Still enjoying every second of it :)
  • RedBone03
    RedBone03 Posts: 56
    Options
    We met in college, dated for 8 years, this year will make two years since begin married.. Just recently added a new addition to the family!!! I couldn't be more happier...
  • azarazar
    azarazar Posts: 72
    Options
    Like Mar above .... longer than many of you have been around.

32 years married
  • mommy_from_mi
    mommy_from_mi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We met 30 years ago when my family started going to the church he attended with his parents and sister. In a little over 2 months, we will have our 20th anniversary. Three kids later (ages 15, 13, and 11), and I wouldn't change a thing (except the weight gain, lol).
  • rjsbdsjas
    rjsbdsjas Posts: 20
    Options
    We met in January 2002, got engaged on St. Patrick's Day of that year and then married in August 2002, 7 months after meeting each other! I NEVER thought I would get married so quickly after meeting someone, but this August will be 10 years happily married. Sure we've had our ups and downs, but the longer we are together the better it gets :)
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    17 years with 4 kids. There were some bumps on the road but still going strong.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Not married but together 6 years as of 3/22. We are both big procrastinators, so will probably get around to tying the knot someday. It's not that big of a deal to us. We are very committed to each other - we have a son together, and I also consider his three other children to be mine, too, just not biologically. :)

Our relationship definitely grows stronger over time. We foresee being together for the rest of our lives - already planning our eventual retirement to Nicaragua.
  • Missspenditall
    Missspenditall Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    24 years this November
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Her keys to a long happy marriage (and I think she would know)

1) Always be honest even when its uncomfortable.
    2) Forgive...we are all flawed and his flaws are not worst than yours.
    3) Treat your marriage like its tender and precious...don't let outside people become invovled in what happens between your husband and you.
    4) Make decisions together.
    5) Don't hold grudges
    6) Don't yell and curse when you argue and never hang up the phone on each other.
    7) Do nice things for each other always not just on special occasions
    8) Make God the center of your relationship and find a sturdy foundation in that.
    9) Always try your hardest to get a long with each other's families (Never speak poorly of eachother's families to each other).
    10) NEVER STOP HAVING SEX. When you stop being physical with one another it is inevitable that one person will stray from the marriage or that a very important intimate connection will be lost.

I agree 100%. We curse at each other and call each other names all the time but we do it joking with each other. When we argue we are completely respectful of each other. You can't resolve anything angry and disrespecting each other.

We actually follow everything on that list. And it comes naturally for us. I also will add never stop communicating!!!
  • tarnita
    tarnita Posts: 1
    Options
    Together for 4 years, married for 1 as of 10 days from now! :)

This is the second marriage for both of us, and we both feel we learned a lot of lessons in our first marriages that we try not to repeat. We broke up briefly after dating for about a year and a half, and it was eye-opening for both of us. Horrible when it happened, but made us stronger in the long run. If we ever get to a dark point like that again, I feel like we know what it takes to power through and hope that we can come out the other end of the tunnel together.

I'm sorry for those of you struggling with divorce, but I feel there is a time and place for everything. My first divorce was, honestly, one of the best things that ever happened to me.
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    We've been together for just over 17 years and this August we will celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.
  • RH_Brazell
    RH_Brazell Posts: 339
    Options
    Been together 9 yrs. married 6
  • mrsNoSo
    mrsNoSo Posts: 28
    Options
    11 1/2 years.