You Can Gain Muscle On A Calorie Deficit!!

Options

Replies

• rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I still don't really see the 'skinny fat' from the pics you posted. I would just say you were a bit overweight...

but, whatever
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP,

There are 4 ways to gain new muscle tissue.

1. Eating a calorie surplus.
    2. Being obese where you can use some of your fat stores as CALORIES to build SOME new tissue but VERY minimal gains.
    3. Newbie lifting gains, but again this is very minimal gains.
    4. Steroids

You probably turned a little of your fat stores instead some muscle tissue, but alot of what you are seeing in your pics is muscle that you already had.

You cannot gain new muscle tissue beyond that. I can guarantee you that you won't make NEW gains unless you eat a calorie surplus. Your body does not create NEW TISSUE without providing energy above what you burn. It's biologically impossible, unless of course you have found a way to be supernatural?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If practical experience means anything, It seems that the people that look like that have experience building some muscle have a different opinion than those that look like they haven't built much muscle.

At the risk of getting a warning, that's all I'm gonna say.

Does that apply to me? I've lifted years ago and completed in powerlifting years back
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend deficit eating if your only goal is to gain muscle mass. It's an inefficent way of going about it.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Here we go again lol
    Huge difference between maintaining muscle mass and gaining muscle mass.. dude, you're wrong. For the vast majority of people, muscle mass gains will not occur without a calorie surplus and a lot of very hard work.
    dudett, your wrong, please look at the pics I just posted 2 posts above.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    OP you look great. I mean it. But honestly it doesn't look like you 'gained' muscle from the pics.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    OP you look great. I mean it. But honestly it doesn't look like you 'gained' muscle from the pics.

Honesty is a beautiful thing. =)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

What you are saying makes no sense at all. Why would bodybuilders go through cut/bulk cycles if this were true? You are grossly misinformed.

Because that's the most EFFICENT way of gaining mass. Not because it's impossible to do it otherwise

Huh? How is spending 3x as long cutting/bulking more "efficient"?
  • Jeff92se
    Options

He'd have to gain muscle just to look like he didn't gain any muscle. Or else you'd say, it looks like you lost some muscle mass
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Wheeeeeeeeee!!! The fun thing about threads like these is that I learn or reinforce what I know to be true. You see, what I find helpful is just scrolling through to find the comments of people I respect and that have PROVEN time and again that they are educated and up to date on research into these things.

At the time of my comment that would be Joe and Taso...and if in fact Acg or Sidesteal comment..them too.

:flowerforyou:
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

What you are saying makes no sense at all. Why would bodybuilders go through cut/bulk cycles if this were true? You are grossly misinformed.

Because that's the most EFFICENT way of gaining mass. Not because it's impossible to do it otherwise

I don't think anyone is saying it's impossible. Or maybe someone did, and I missed it. It's not impossible, but it IS very unlikely. The point that was being made in the thread the OP referred to is that when someone sees a gain or no change on the scale, so many people's automatic response is to say "oh, you must be gaining muscle!" That's simply not reality for most people.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Because it is? What's a more effiecent way of bulking and cutting?
  • joejccva71
    Options

Because it is? What's a more effiecent way of bulking and cutting?

Taking Dinabol. :P

lol kidding
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    4. Steroids

Not quite true here...steroids are a hormone that trigger muscle growth...they do not build it themselves. You still need to eat the calories (or have them stored on your body) plus exercise to stimulate the growth.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

I don't think anyone is saying it's impossible. Or maybe someone did, and I missed it. It's not impossible, but it IS very unlikely. The point that was being made in the thread the OP referred to is that when someone sees a gain or no change on the scale, so many people's automatic response is to say "oh, you must be gaining muscle!" That's simply not reality for most people.

There's more than one here that said it's "impossible" or allowed himself just enough leeway to wiggle out of the all or nothing view.

If you lost inches in your waist, lifted thoughout your process, while on a defict and ended up weighing the same in the end, what would your conclusion be?
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    so, just to clarify - who is correct?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    4. Steroids

Not quite true here...steroids are a hormone that trigger muscle growth...they do not build it themselves. You still need to eat the calories (or have them stored on your body) plus exercise to stimulate the growth.

Well true, good catch. You knew where I was getting at though. :P
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is why its important to measure your body fat not your weight.... In the end all that matters is how much body fat you lost.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you lost inches in your waist, lifted thoughout your process, while on a defict and ended up weighing the same in the end, what would your conclusion be?

Not going to happen on a calorie deficit except in cases already discussed above. Period.

This guy did not put on 30 lbs of muscle and simultaneously lost 30 lbs of fat.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I just want to hang out in here :)