You Can Gain Muscle On A Calorie Deficit!!

Options

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    You think he was "overfat" in those pictures?
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Trololololol! :D
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Lyle didn't define "overfat' in the article and so I ahve no criteria to say. I am looking at the March 12 picture and the guy has some serious body fat under that Tshirt. Especially given his height. I'm suggesting at the begining of his training he did get energy from fat to build muscle. At what ratio I have no idea but that's not the question stated in the topic.

Based on Lyle's article, the answer is yes, you can gain muscle on a calories deficit. You are going to be more likely to do that, the higher your body fat is and less likely to do that as your body fat drops. I don't recall if the OP ever stated his BF% at the start of his training or not but the question isn't specific to him. He is using his own experience as the proof source. I'm not offering an opinion either way and I have not yet read the links back on page one. I intend to. Lyle McDonald is someone whose opinions I have come to respect and learn from. I don't always agree with him 100% but I respect his experience, research and knowledge. I haven't really decided what I think. Reading with an open mind and learning.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    All of that has been said more than once in this thread. That's the problem, no one defines what over fat is. Therefore cannot really give a general number when the process begins or stops. I'd say, gaining mass depends on the availability of fuel in excess of your daily calorie requirements. As your BF lowers, the fuel has to come from somewhere else, ie.. food calories. But when the process of not being able to use fat as fuel / needs to use food calories for fuel isn't known.
  • mmapags
    Options
    All of that has been said more than once in this thread. That's the problem, no one defines what over fat is. Therefore cannot really give a general number when the process begins or stops. I'd say, gaining mass depends on the availability of fuel in excess of your daily calorie requirements. As your BF lowers, the fuel has to come from somewhere else, ie.. food calories. But when the process of not being able to use fat as fuel / needs to use food calories for fuel isn't known.

You are right it isn't. So what's your point? The statement that has been debated is whether or not, not at what point. Just giving a point of view and a perspective from an expert source as many others have done. Not sure what about that irritates you.
  • mmapags
    Options

Trololololol! :D

Thinkin you might be right!
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Here are pics of me over the past year while losing 74 lbs and gaining plenty of lean muscle. I was what I would call " Skinny Fat" I had very little lean muscle before I started to work out. If I didnt lift weights while dieting I wouldnt be were I am today. And im 42 years old!

March-2011 (- 10/12lbs)
    snook2.jpg

May-2011
    snook6.jpg
    snook7.jpg

Aug-2011
    snook5.jpg

Oct-2011
    snook4.jpg

Jan-2012
    zzzzkta.jpg

Present
    46048809.jpg
    [/quote] wow! fantastic muscle building..great work--you look amazing!
  • Jeff92se
    Options

You are right it isn't. So what's your point? The statement that has been debated is whether or not, not at what point. Just giving a point of view and a perspective from an expert source as many others have done. Not sure what about that irritates you.

My point? What's yours? I just said you repeated not only what was said but Lyle's reference also.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    anotherskateboard.gif

Lmao

Sometimes gravity just sucks!!
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    All i want to say is dude lOoks awesone. And ive been working on the same. Again great job.
  • mmapags
    Options

My point? What's yours? I just said you repeated not only what was said but Lyle's reference also.

Gee, I musta missed that. I just looked back through the entire thread and still didn't see it other than my post. Would you be so kind as to point it out for me?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    You didn't see the point you made stated already? Try looking again
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There is always exceptions to every rule... I'm the female exception apparently because I bulk up very easily regardless of whether I'm on a calorie deficit or not. I've always been that way - I only have to look at a set of weights to start bulking up! My problem is losing the layer of fat over the top of it all!
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Did you get a DEXA or body pod done before you leaned out? It doesn't look like you gained very much muscle at all, but retained your muscle and lost the fat. /shrug. FWIW, IMO You weren't skinny fat in the beginning, you had a good base underneath, you were just overweight, simple as that. As you trained the muscle you probably added some density to it, retained it, gaining definition around the muscle from losing fat, but you certainly don't look like you gained very much LM.

Congrats on your hardwork though, you look great. :)
    No I didnt, why would I ? Below is a pic. of when I was 25, ( along with the other pics I posted) I got married at 26 and started to gain fat soon after. But at 25 I was fully grown and at the point that I wasnt going to gain any more muscle naturally. Also I am almost 6"2 with long arms and legs, if I was just under 5"10 (the height of the avg. adult male) It would be easier to see my lean muscle gains.
    Now please tell me that I wasnt "" skinny fat""
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzv.jpg

March-2011 (- 10/12lbs)
    snook2.jpg

May-2011
    snook6.jpg
    snook7.jpg

Aug-2011
    snook5.jpg

Oct-2011
    snook4.jpg

Jan-2012
    zzzzkta.jpg

Present
    46048809.jpg

Dude you look great! Keep up the hard work....EFF the haters and know-it-alls!
  • mmapags
    Options

Saw various version of points made including some that refelcted what I said. I didn't see Lyle's link. Still don't. If its there and I double posted it, my bad. There's been a lot a various discussion. I have no idea why my additions seems to piss you off but hey, whatever.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Saw various version of points made including some that refelcted what I said. I didn't see Lyle's link. Still don't. If its there and I double posted it, my bad. There's been a lot a various discussion. I have no idea why my additions seems to piss you off but hey, whatever.

Right. So what Lyle has said has been said. You don't piss me off. Probably couldn't. no worries
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I realized another caveat for the easier way of stating this.

You can gain muscle on a deficit with the exception of:
    You are already lifting and trim.
    You net below your BMR daily and do intense cardio, and do lower carb diet.

I should have realized that the auto-setting MFP goals cause that 2nd exception to happen very often.
    Eating at 1200, BMR is 1600, and doing cardio 3 x week intensely for 60 min just robs the glucose stores, by the end of the several sessions, not enough glucose left to prevent muscle breakdown, no matter how much protein or weight lifting you are doing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Here are pics of me over the past year while losing 74 lbs and gaining plenty of lean muscle. I was what I would call " Skinny Fat" I had very little lean muscle before I started to work out. If I didnt lift weights while dieting I wouldnt be were I am today. And im 42 years old!

March-2011 (- 10/12lbs)
    snook2.jpg

May-2011
    snook6.jpg
    snook7.jpg

Aug-2011
    snook5.jpg

Oct-2011
    snook4.jpg

Jan-2012
    zzzzkta.jpg

Present
    46048809.jpg
    Sorry but you don't look like you gained plenty of lean muscle. You DID lose body fat to show more "definition" of muscle. This is a misconception that many a person who isn't experienced in the field believes.
    It takes A LOT of hard work to put on lean muscle even while on calorie surplus. Trust what actual science research (peer reviewed not pseudoscience) has shown and don't believe the hype that many supplement companies or programs that "experts" want you to buy.
    While there a few exceptions of being able to build "some" muscle on a calorie deficit, even the exceptions aren't building a significant amount that is very noticeable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start this thread because of the "" Muscle Does Not Weigh More Than Fat" thread. Reading thru it I read numerous posts that claimed that you cannot gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. Yes you can!! Please do not let these misguided comments stop you from implementing some type of lifting program while you are on your journey for a new body!! Weight training while dieting is very important because if you dont about 22% of your total weight loss will be Lean Muscle! Most people who do not lift while dieting are not happy with their body even after they reached or even surpassed their goals.

Hey! Maybe you can help me figure something out... math problem. 9 weeks ago I weight 304 and I was 48.5% body fat. Today I weighed 280.5 and I'm 40.8% body fat. I tried to ways to figure out how much fat I lost and how much muscle I gained and I don't know which is right. First I tried averaging 304 and 280.5 (292.25) and then taking 7.7% of that, which is 22.5 pounds of fat lost. Then I tried taking 48.5% of 304 (147.44) and 40.8% of 280.5 (114.44) and subtracting those two numbers, which is 33 pounds of fat lost.

The first one would be pretty close to maintaining muscle and just losing fat. But the second one would mean I had gained almost 10 pounds of muscle and lost 33 pounds of fat. Based on the fact that my clothes are fitting me more like when I weighed in the low 270s a couple of years ago when I wasn't working out much, and based on the fact that my muscles are really getting big, I'm thinking the 33 pounds of fat lost is more accurate. But I'm no good at math.

If the second one is true, you can totally gain muscle on a calorie deficit. I just did.

Anyone know how to figure this out?

Shannon
    If you're obese, it's not impossible to gain muscle on calorie deficit. However, I doubt it's 10lbs of muscle especially in just 9 weeks. It's considered excellent if you could put on 1lb of muscle a month.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    There is always exceptions to every rule... I'm the female exception apparently because I bulk up very easily regardless of whether I'm on a calorie deficit or not. I've always been that way - I only have to look at a set of weights to start bulking up! My problem is losing the layer of fat over the top of it all!

No there's not. MEN can't do what you're claiming and unless you're a genetic abnormality you don't have the same testosterone as a man does. Even women who have PCOS, who have elevated testosterone, have much less testosterone then men do.

Your muscles swell after you lift weights. That is what you are seeing.