You Can Gain Muscle On A Calorie Deficit!!

Options

Replies

• Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Guys here is another thread ( awesome thread by the way) that shows a few others from MFP. some of them have cut fat and gained lean muscle at the same time.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518789-the-difference-weight-lifting-makes
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Guys here is another thread ( awesome thread by the way) that shows a few others from MFP. some of them have cut fat and gained lean muscle at the same time.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518789-the-difference-weight-lifting-makes
    No, most of them just got more defined and didn't gain muscle. Here's another great example of looking like someone who gained muscle, but actually just lost fat and now looks way more muscular.

Lee Priest at 246
    lee_priest_bulkup.jpg

Lee Priest at 202
    Priest.jpg

The illusion of looking muscular many times let's people think that they put on muscle (while on a deficit) when in fact it's practically impossible.

I'm sure we'll agree to disagree.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    No, most of them just got more defined and didn't gain muscle. Here's another great example of looking like someone who gained muscle, but actually just lost fat and now looks way more muscular.
    The illusion of looking muscular many times let's people think that they put on muscle (while on a deficit) when in fact it's practically impossible.

IDEA Fitness member
    ninerbuff, LMAO!! So I did the impossible!! If its impossible please explain to me how the fellow MFP. member in the first set of pics got leaner but at the same time gained 5 lbs in 1 month? By the way there is no shame in being wrong!! Just sayin.

5 lbs heavier in after pic, but tighter and leaner
    236227942924235826_gkkV70hE_f.jpg

Stacy, read her story here: She is 14 lbs heavier in after
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912535_fBi9urCv_f.jpg
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Did you get a DEXA or body pod done before you leaned out? It doesn't look like you gained very much muscle at all, but retained your muscle and lost the fat. /shrug. FWIW, IMO You weren't skinny fat in the beginning, you had a good base underneath, you were just overweight, simple as that. As you trained the muscle you probably added some density to it, retained it, gaining definition around the muscle from losing fat, but you certainly don't look like you gained very much LM.

Congrats on your hardwork though, you look great. :)
    No I didnt, why would I ? Below is a pic. of when I was 25, ( along with the other pics I posted) I got married at 26 and started to gain fat soon after. But at 25 I was fully grown and at the point that I wasnt going to gain any more muscle naturally. Also I am almost 6"2 with long arms and legs, if I was just under 5"10 (the height of the avg. adult male) It would be easier to see my lean muscle gains.
    Now please tell me that I wasnt "" skinny fat""
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzv.jpg

March-2011 (- 10/12lbs)
    snook2.jpg

May-2011
    snook6.jpg
    snook7.jpg

Aug-2011
    snook5.jpg

Oct-2011
    snook4.jpg

Jan-2012
    zzzzkta.jpg

Present
    46048809.jpg
    You didn't gain any muscle. You just lowered your body fat. There is a big difference.
  • mrfitness_28
    Options
    amazing transformation keep it up ;)
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later... good stuff!
  • mrfitness_28
    Options
    very true i dont change much now that ive put on some good quality size but my muscle continues to weight more but it will take another good 5 - 10kgs to see another big change, you need to up calories first to put on size and then tighten with smart nutrition gaining also requires carefulful food choices with allowance to body types ectomorphs can have some junk on the side and still burn it off, endo needs to be cautious and meso will just build it into m uscle as long as cardio is in the plan.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    1) Yes, you should do strength training. Lift heavy things. It's good for you. Period.
    2) With very few exceptions, you can't gain muscle on a caloric deficit. You can lose fat surrounding the muscle, and you can help minimize muscle loss, but you most likely aren't going to gain muscle.
    3) Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It is more dense than fat, which means a pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    November 2007
    Fat
    517722orig.jpg

Decemember 2008
    2336322orig.jpg
    Calorie deficit the WHOLE year. I played around with calories, but I never was in a weekly or monthly surplus. Yes, I was leaner, but muscle gain?? Maybe some newbie gains or muscle memory, nothing spectacular.

March 2009
    3205422orig.jpg

This is after bulking that December. You can clearly seen the muscle gain and fat too.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    You didn't gain any muscle. You just lowered your body fat. There is a big difference.
    fitnesssocial, look at my arms in my Aug.-20011 pic. and then my May-2011 pic. My arms were larger in August than they were in May and they were also larger in May than they were in March despite dropping body weight. Like I said over and over that at my highest weight, my calves and forearms were very skinny, I didnt have any traps or fat covering them either and I could feel nothing but bone under my skin in my upper chest and on the outside of my arms were my bi's, tri's and delts meet. So even at my highest weight I didnt have any fat covering my calves,forearms, traps, upper chest or were my Bi's. Tri's and Delts meet.
    Now - 74 lbs I have large traps,( they grew like weeds) larger calves and forearms ( they grew like molasses in winter) my Pecs are getting closer and closer to touching my colar bone and there is nothing but muscle were my Bi's, Tri's and Delts meet.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    amazing transformation keep it up ;)
    Thanks!
  • AntWrig
    Options
    fitnesssocial, look at my arms in my Aug.-20011 pic. and then my May-2011 pic. My arms were larger in August than they were in May and they were also larger in May than they were in March despite dropping body weight. Like I said over and over that at my highest weight, my calves and forearms were very skinny, I didnt have any traps or fat covering them either and I could feel nothing but bone under my skin in my upper chest and on the outside of my arms were my bi's, tri's and delts meet. So even at my highest weight I didnt have any fat covering my calves,forearms, traps, upper chest or were my Bi's. Tri's and Delts meet.
    Now - 74 lbs I have large traps,( they grew like weeds) larger calves and forearms ( they grew like molasses in winter) my Pecs are getting closer and closer to touching my colar bone and there is nothing but muscle were my Bi's, Tri's and Delts meet.
    Minus any new gains, you may have you can't defy the human body. You need to be in a calorie surplus to build muscle. If you were taking anabolics you would still need to be in a surplus.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    November 2007
    Fat
    517722orig.jpg

Decemember 2008
    2336322orig.jpg
    Calorie deficit the WHOLE year. I played around with calories, but I never was in a weekly or monthly surplus. Yes, I was leaner, but muscle gain?? Maybe some newbie gains or muscle memory, nothing spectacular.

March 2009
    3205422orig.jpg

This is after bulking that December. You can clearly seen the muscle gain and fat too.
    Awesome transformation!! All you have to do is compare your traps and forearms in the first 2 pics to see that you gained lean muscle while on a deficit.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Minus any new gains, you may have you can't defy the human body. You need to be in a calorie surplus to build muscle. If you were taking anabolics you would still need to be in a surplus.
    Well I would rather get fat again than take steriods. I cant tell in your pics but were your arms larger in the 2nd pic than they were in the first pic? Both my arms are over 1.5 inches larger than they were when I started working out. Also I think you misunderstand my point of this thread, I never claimed that you could see gains on a deficit that were anywhere to close to the gains you would see on a surplus.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    November 2007
    Fat
    517722orig.jpg

Decemember 2008
    2336322orig.jpg

March 2009
    3205422orig.jpg

WOW!!
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Well I would rather get fat again than take steriods. I cant tell in your pics but were your arms larger in the 2nd pic than they were in the first pic? Both my arms are over 1.5 inches larger than they were when I started working out.
    My arms appeared to be larger, did I gain some muscle possibly. I don't have any diet logs at the time, but more than likely my protein intake was sky high. Coupled with me being fat, I was probably able to build some muscle. Does it compare to a true bulking cycle no.

So, what you're saying IS possible, if the right conditions are met.

1. Large protein intake.
    2. You have to have a high body fat amount to create the large deficit.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Well I would rather get fat again than take steriods. I cant tell in your pics but were your arms larger in the 2nd pic than they were in the first pic? Both my arms are over 1.5 inches larger than they were when I started working out.
    My arms appeared to be larger, did I gain some muscle possibly. I don't have any diet logs at the time, but more than likely my protein intake was sky high. Coupled with me being fat, I was probably able to build some muscle. Does it compare to a true bulking cycle no.

1. Large protein intake.

First, I never claimed to get the same gains as the guys that I workout with that eat at a surplus every day. They have put on far more muscle than I have over the last year and I bust my butt just as hard as they do.
    Second. Another 6-7lbs and I will be doing a bulk myself.
    Third, I have eaten between 1-1.5 grams of protein for every lb. of body weight every day for the last year.
  • AntWrig
    Options

1. Large protein intake.

First, I never claimed to get the same gains as the guys that I workout with that eat at a surplus every day. They have put on far more muscle than I have over the last year and I bust my butt just as hard as they do.
    Second. Another 6-7lbs and I will be doing a bulk myself.
    Third, I have eaten between 1-1.5 grams of protein for every lb. of body weight every day for the last year.
    I was saying that it's possible, so I agree with you...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    ninerbuff, LMAO!! So I did the impossible!! If its impossible please explain to me how the fellow MFP. member in the first set of pics got leaner but at the same time gained 5 lbs in 1 month? By the way there is no shame in being wrong!! Just sayin.

5 lbs heavier in after pic, but tighter and leaner
    236227942924235826_gkkV70hE_f.jpg

Stacy, read her story here: She is 14 lbs heavier in after
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    From her story:
    That’s because it IS an absurd amount of food. This is what Staci does, day in, day out in order togain weightso that she can lift heavier weights.

And I think you’ll agree with me that despite all of this extra work to pack on a lot of weight, the last word you would use to describe Staci’s physique these days is “bulky.”

Ooops. Yep she gained weight by eating more. That's how you usually gain weight.

160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912535_fBi9urCv_f.jpg
    [/quote]Guess you forgot to read the part where they upped their calories to gain weight.

Your story here is (and on most fitness forums) is nothing new. The whole "building muscle" on calorie deficit had been rehashed so many times. Exceptions were mentioned, but the amount of muscle is very little compared to actual putting it on on purpose.
    Read the laws of thermodynamics. It will make more sense if you understand how you can't make something out of nothing. And you're right there is no shame is being wrong.................you just have to admit it to yourself.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    To add to this, people new to heavy lifting will usually see an increase in several pounds due to bone density (especially women).