You Can Gain Muscle On A Calorie Deficit!!

Options

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat the same things each and every day and my exercise program has remained the same aswell. Im currently eating about 2400 calories, 60 grams of fat, 225 grams of protein per day. My diet is also very high in carbs. Just got on the scale this morning and have lost 4lbs in the last 2 weeks down to 209 from 213. Over the last year I have tried to lose between 1-2 lbs per week.

How tall are you? At age 42 and weight 209 (assuming a height of close to 6 feet), your BMR is between 1800 and 1900 calories. Depending on your level of daily activity, 2400 might actually be a small surplus on non-workout days.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    entertaining
    in a headdesk kind of way
    bump
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat the same things each and every day and my exercise program has remained the same aswell. Im currently eating about 2400 calories, 60 grams of fat, 225 grams of protein per day. My diet is also very high in carbs. Just got on the scale this morning and have lost 4lbs in the last 2 weeks down to 209 from 213. Over the last year I have tried to lose between 1-2 lbs per week.

How tall are you? At age 42 and weight 209 (assuming a height of close to 6 feet), your BMR is between 1800 and 1900 calories. Depending on your level of daily activity, 2400 might actually be a small surplus on non-workout days.
    Just shy of 6"2. I workout 7 days per week. Also I never used BMR. Here is my split

Mon: Legs & Calves
    Tue: Back & Bi's
    Wed: Cardio (Insanity or elliptical) & Abs
    Thur: Chest & Tri's
    Fri: Cardio (Insanit or elliptical) & Abs
    Sat: Shoulders, Traps & Deadlifts
    Sun: Cardio (Insanity or elliptical)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Ahhh. I get it now......training 7 days a week without overtraining, gaining muscle on a deficit......are you on the clen or the test?
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Ahhh. I get it now......training 7 days a week without overtraining, gaining muscle on a deficit......are you on the clen or the test?
    Working out for 50-70 minutes per day is not over training. And your an idiot for accusing me of doing something like that.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I may have missed it somewhere in there, but did you use measurements as evidence? Or just pictures?
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Working out for 50-70 minutes per day is not over training. And your an idiot for accusing me of doing something like that.

Im not here to start anything....I was just giving you a hard time.....but if Im an idiot for accusing you of something like that......you're an idiot for telling people you can gain substantial lean mass while on a caloric defecit.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Im not here to start anything....I was just giving you a hard time.....but if Im an idiot for accusing you of something like that......you're an idiot for telling people you can gain substantial lean mass while on a caloric defecit.

Don't worry. I'm an idiot too. :drinker:
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    Options
    bump
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

All your doing is being a troll!! Acussing someone of taking drugs of any kind is being an idiot. Also please show me where I said once in this entire thread that you can gain "" substantial "" lean mass while on a deficit.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

All your doing is being a troll!! Acussing someone of taking drugs of any kind is being an idiot. Also please show me where I said once in this entire thread that you can gain "" substantial "" lean mass while on a deficit.

If it's enough you think it would show in pictures......then that's substantial.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

If it's enough you think it would show in pictures......then that's substantial.

To even maintain, he'd have to gain muscle. As you lose size when you lose fat and you lose muscle as you lose fat.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    I may have missed it somewhere in there, but did you use measurements as evidence? Or just pictures?
    I Posted earlier that I gained over 1.5 inches in both arms since I started lifting despite losing 74 lbs ( now 78 as of today) but whats the point. Others have said in this thread that they have also gained muscle while on a deficit aswell but that doesnt matter either.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    To even maintain, he'd have to gain muscle.

I guess words don't have meanings anymore.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options

now your just spinning.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm sure no one would think that 2% is substantial.
    Decent, nice, and possible - but not substantial.
    And you can't create as big a deficit as many might like to see - so you takes your preference, slight loss and slight LBM gain, or greater loss and no LBM gain.

From the study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571

Energy intake was reduced by 19% ± 2% and 30% ± 4% in SR and FR, respectively (p = .003).

BW and fat mass decreased in both SR and FR by 5.6% ± 0.8% and 5.5% ± 0.7% (0.7% ± 0.8% vs. 1.0% ± 0.4%/wk) and 31% ± 3% and 21 ± 4%, respectively.
    LBM increased in SR by 2.1% ± 0.4% (p < .001), whereas it was unchanged in FR (-0.2% ± 0.7%), with significant differences between groups (p < .01).

In conclusion, data from this study suggest that athletes who want to gain LBM and increase 1RM strength during a WL period combined with strength training should aim for a weekly BW loss of 0.7%.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Since I have started eating healthy and going down the gym I have lost 70Lb and I can now lift more than I could at the start.

When I mentioned to medical people (doctors and nutritionists) as well as gym trainer that I was thinking about dropping the strength training to allow more time for cardio as it burns more calories I got told to keep up the strength training as it is important to build muscle strength up whilst losing weight.

Yes, but maintaining muscle strength and muscle tissue is a far different thing than building new muscle.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    To even maintain, he'd have to gain muscle.

I guess words don't have meanings anymore.

that's why the op posted pics
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    I'm sure no one would think that 2% is substantial.
    Decent, nice, and possible - but not substantial.
    And you can't create as big a deficit as many might like to see - so you takes your preference, slight loss and slight LBM gain, or greater loss and no LBM gain.

From the study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571

Energy intake was reduced by 19% ± 2% and 30% ± 4% in SR and FR, respectively (p = .003).

BW and fat mass decreased in both SR and FR by 5.6% ± 0.8% and 5.5% ± 0.7% (0.7% ± 0.8% vs. 1.0% ± 0.4%/wk) and 31% ± 3% and 21 ± 4%, respectively.
    LBM increased in SR by 2.1% ± 0.4% (p < .001), whereas it was unchanged in FR (-0.2% ± 0.7%), with significant differences between groups (p < .01).

In conclusion, data from this study suggest that athletes who want to gain LBM and increase 1RM strength during a WL period combined with strength training should aim for a weekly BW loss of 0.7%.
    Thanks for sharing the link.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Here is a link to an article on this very topic that explained to me why starting this thread was like messing with a hornets nest :happy:
    [link]http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/[/link]

Can You Build Muscle on a Calorie Deficit?
    Jan 22, 2011 | By Daniel Lee Daniel Lee began writing professionally in 2010. He has extensive knowledge in the areas of health and fitness, with certifications in personal training, sports nutrition and standard first aid. His articles have been published on eHow and LIVESTRONG.COM. Lee is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts with honors in political science and history from McGill University.
    Photo Credit The fat man's dream image by carlo cascone from Fotolia.com A popular misconception in fitness and nutrition circles is that it is impossible to build muscle and lose weight -- via a caloric deficit -- simultaneously. While this is not impossible to do, it can be quite difficult and requires several specific circumstances to be in place. First, you must be significantly overweight with a high body fat percentage. Second, you must consume a diet conducive to muscular hypertrophy. Third, you must engage in a consistent program of weight training.

Body Composition Requirements
    Because the human body is designed to sacrifice muscle when losing weight as a survival mechanism, only a certain body type will permit the simultaneous growth of muscle and loss of overall mass. If you're significantly overweight, your body may be able to support increased muscle mass even on a caloric deficit, provided it has less fat to maintain. If you're relatively lean and/or muscular, however, it is much more difficult for your body to increase muscle mass while experiencing a caloric deficit.

Free Diet Plans Get Free Diet Plans Online The #1 Site For The Active Life. ActiveFactor.com
    Sponsored Links Protein Requirements
    While a caloric deficit implies that you're eating less food overall, it is possible to increase your protein intake during a caloric deficit by adjusting your diet to include more protein-rich foods. To succeed in building muscle and losing weight simultaneously, consume 1.6 g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight daily. To meet this goal, you'll likely have to rely heavily on protein sources, such as meat, fish, beans, eggs and tofu. You may also consider a powdered protein supplement.

Training Requirements
    To build muscle while losing weight, you'll have to train with a high degree of intensity. Since the body's natural inclination is to sacrifice muscle when losing weight, training is the only way to provide a stimulus that lets your body know that muscle is needed. To maximize this stimulus, focus of heavy, compound exercises, such as the bench press, shoulder press, bent-over row, squat and deadlift. For each exercise, perform three to four sets of eight to 12 repetitions for maximum muscular hypertrophy potential.

Other Lifestyle Requirements
    When experiencing a caloric deficit, your body is under stress. This can inhibit muscular synthesis alone, but it becomes particularly significant when combined with other stresses, such as those deriving from the use of alcohol and drugs. These substances can have a negative impact on the production of important muscle-building hormones, such as testosterone. You should avoid them as much as possible.

Calculate Your BMR Basal Metabolic Rate Calculator - Free From Fitness® Magazine www.FitnessMagazine.com
    5 Foods you must not eat: Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods. Beyonddiet.com
    Calorie Burn Chart Get Workout Challenges, Nutrition Tips & More- Free Download! www.dailyfitnesscenter.com
    Free Calorie Calculator Track Calories For Daily Activities Try It Now & Track Burned Calories EverydayHealth.com/Calorie-Counter
    Sponsored Links References
    "Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition"; International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: Protein and Exercise; B. Campbell, et al.; 2007
    "Designing Resistance Training Programs"; Steven J. Fleck; 2004
    "Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research"; Clinical and Experimental Research: Effects of Alcohol on Plasma Testosterone and Luteinizing Hormone Levels; Jack H. Mendelson, M.D., et al.; 2008

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/#ixzz1p26Qi4em