You Can Gain Muscle On A Calorie Deficit!!

Options

Replies

• BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    OP you look great. I mean it. But honestly it doesn't look like you 'gained' muscle from the pics.

He'd have to gain muscle just to look like he didn't gain any muscle. Or else you'd say, it looks like you lost some muscle mass
    Retaining and gaining are two totoally different things. He looks like he retained muscle mass while losing fat.
    ^^^Look - yesterday we were adding 'a's to words. Today its O. My word totally gained an O. Fact.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    anotherskateboard.gif
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    anotherskateboard.gif

Lmao
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    ^^^^@ACG: what bodyfat % are you at with that midsection? I'm getting there thanks to MFP at 8.5% and want to end up at 6% eventually.
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    Yes You can build muscle on a deficit but You wont build like a body builder no. I am on a muscle building and fat loss program at my gym and we have to watch calories yes, take in protein to build and recover muscle too. I started out at 177 pounds with 120 of that being muscle which I have built over a couse of a year I am now up 2 pounds of muscle and have lost about 6% BF so yes it can be done but it won't be alot. I am female at 5"2" and was told by trainers to win this contest I have to keep or gain muscle but not lose any muscle and I have done that so far. So I see what he is saying yes you can build muscle on a low calorie diet you just have to get enough calories to burn fat but maintain/ grow muscle. If you do too much cardio and not enough of lifting and I mean heavy weights where you can build muscle yes you will lose muscle. And if you dont agree with this then oh well but I think the trainers know what they are talking about when they have done this program before with people having sucess. Let the guy have his say in this and quit giving him such a hard time cause everyone is different and some will gain and some won't it all depends on your body, what you do for workouts, and what you eat. No you won't gain muscle if you are lifting 10 pound weights and no you won't gain muscle if you cut calories too low.

That's all I have to say for now.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Yes You can build muscle on a deficit but You wont build like a body builder no. I am on a muscle building and fat loss program at my gym and we have to watch calories yes, take in protein to build and recover muscle too. I started out at 177 pounds with 120 of that being muscle which I have built over a couse of a year I am now up 2 pounds of muscle and have lost about 6% BF so yes it can be done but it won't be alot. I am female at 5"2" and was told by trainers to win this contest I have to keep or gain muscle but not lose any muscle and I have done that so far. So I see what he is saying yes you can build muscle on a low calorie diet you just have to get enough calories to burn fat but maintain/ grow muscle. If you do too much cardio and not enough of lifting and I mean heavy weights where you can build muscle yes you will lose muscle. And if you dont agree with this then oh well but I think the trainers know what they are talking about when they have done this program before with people having sucess. Let the guy have his say in this and quit giving him such a hard time cause everyone is different and some will gain and some won't it all depends on your body, what you do for workouts, and what you eat. No you won't gain muscle if you are lifting 10 pound weights and no you won't gain muscle if you cut calories too low.

Translation: I built 2lbs of muscle from the calories of fat stores in my body.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ^^^^@ACG: what bodyfat % are you at with that midsection? I'm getting there thanks to MFP at 8.5% and want to end up at 6% eventually.

I have no idea, using calipers the skinfold around my navel area was 9.5-10mm though
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    OP you look great. I mean it. But honestly it doesn't look like you 'gained' muscle from the pics.

He'd have to gain muscle just to look like he didn't gain any muscle. Or else you'd say, it looks like you lost some muscle mass
    Retaining and gaining are two totoally different things. He looks like he retained muscle mass while losing fat.
    ^^^Look - yesterday we were adding 'a's to words. Today its O. My word totally gained an O. Fact.

If you lose fat, you lose muscle. To "retain" the same amount of mucle, one has to gain what they have lost due to the fast lost. Call it what you want but of you lost fat, you lost muscle. If you want it back you have to build that amount back again.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    If you lost inches in your waist, lifted thoughout your process, while on a defict and ended up weighing the same in the end, what would your conclusion be?

Not going to happen on a calorie deficit except in cases already discussed above. Period.

This guy did not put on 30 lbs of muscle and simultaneously lost 30 lbs of fat.

What???? Answer the question? My question is one thing. The OP's experience is another.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bump this
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I build a muscle palace while on calorie deficit using some meat I got at the butcher shop. Sure it went bad eventually and I smelled kinda funny, but it was new muscle! new to me anyway.

OP, ya look great. Who cares whether you built it, retained it or bought it at the Walmarts. In order to determine once and for all, unfortunately, we're going to have to kill you and autopsy your body.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Translation: I built 2lbs of muscle from the calories of fat stores in my body.

lol you just called her obese
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Oh dear god.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If you lost inches in your waist, lifted thoughout your process, while on a defict and ended up weighing the same in the end, what would your conclusion be?

Not going to happen on a calorie deficit except in cases already discussed above. Period.

This guy did not put on 30 lbs of muscle and simultaneously lost 30 lbs of fat.

I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about but . . .isn't the body made up more than fat and muscle? Don't you also decrease the other things that make up LBM when you lose weight? Water would be one that comes to mind, wouldn't one carry around less water in a smaller body?
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am lifting weights and losing weight (calorie deficit). The result? I am not only losing fat, but gaining muscle. How do I know this? Because my biceps, triceps and other muscles now stick out! I am a woman, age 46 and very happy to point out that although I am still not at my goal, I have muscles and I don't look manly!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think there is a general conflation here of a few different factors. I'm not a 'muscle' scientist, but a some quick reading leads me to think this is generally what's going on here.

I see a couple of people suggesting you may be able to 'tone' and 'strengthen' existing muscle, but not add new muscle while eating a calorie deficit. There are some tricky semantics and tricky biology involved here. Muscle gets bigger in two ways: hypertrophy, which is an increase in size and mass without the addition of new muscle fibers, and hyperplasia, which is an increase in size via addition of new fibers. It is possible that hypertrophy may not result in increased strength, as the additional bulk comes from tissue types not mediating contractions (scar tissue, etc).

This type of tissue can be added readily as a wound-healing process. Muscle soreness from inflammation drives cell swelling and inflammatory mediators to collect in the tissues. As the wounds heal, some scar-tissue like elements may be added, increasing bulk. Wound healing most certainly occurs when in caloric deficit, this there is no reason to suspect that this type of muscle growth can not also occur.

Hyperplasia is most commonly induced by sustained and/or intense loading of the muscles - again, microtears are healed, but also complex cell-signaling cascades are initiated that result in the division and multiplication of new muscle fibres. This is a eneregetically-expensive anabolic process, thus when calories are tight it's less likely to occur, but it's not impossible.

- In short, if you eat a caloric deficit you can certainly increase muscle bulk via hypertrophy. As compared with eating an excess, a smaller portion of the overall growth may come from the separate process of hyperplasia, but it may still occur. Just to a lesser extreme.

So in even shorter - yes, you can 'add muscle' on a caloric deficit.

And let me again iterate that this is based on a general knowledge of human physiology, but I am not, nor do I claim to be, an expert on muscles.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    OP,

There are 4 ways to gain new muscle tissue.

1. Eating a calorie surplus.
    2. Being obese where you can use some of your fat stores as CALORIES to build SOME new tissue but VERY minimal gains.
    3. Newbie lifting gains, but again this is very minimal gains.
    4. Steroids

You probably turned a little of your fat stores instead some muscle tissue, but alot of what you are seeing in your pics is muscle that you already had.

You cannot gain new muscle tissue beyond that. I can guarantee you that you won't make NEW gains unless you eat a calorie surplus. Your body does not create NEW TISSUE without providing energy above what you burn. It's biologically impossible, unless of course you have found a way to be supernatural?

So for the majority of users on MFP trying to lose weight, the easier way to say this then to have 4 exceptions, is to just say.

If you are already trim and fit and lifting - it'll be about impossible to add muscle in a calorie deficit.

All others may apply to doing so.

Read the studies if you can't think out what is happening in the body.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I think there is a general conflation here of a few different factors. I'm not a 'muscle' scientist, but a some quick reading leads me to think this is generally what's going on here.

I see a couple of people suggesting you may be able to 'tone' and 'strengthen' existing muscle, but not add new muscle while eating a calorie deficit. There are some tricky semantics and tricky biology involved here. Muscle gets bigger in two ways: hypertrophy, which is an increase in size and mass without the addition of new muscle fibers, and hyperplasia, which is an increase in size via addition of new fibers. It is possible that hypertrophy may not result in increased strength, as the additional bulk comes from tissue types not mediating contractions (scar tissue, etc).

This type of tissue can be added readily as a wound-healing process. Muscle soreness from inflammation drives cell swelling and inflammatory mediators to collect in the tissues. As the wounds heal, some scar-tissue like elements may be added, increasing bulk. Wound healing most certainly occurs when in caloric deficit, this there is no reason to suspect that this type of muscle growth can not also occur.

Hyperplasia is most commonly induced by sustained and/or intense loading of the muscles - again, microtears are healed, but also complex cell-signaling cascades are initiated that result in the division and multiplication of new muscle fibres. This is a eneregetically-expensive anabolic process, thus when calories are tight it's less likely to occur, but it's not impossible.

- In short, if you eat a caloric deficit you can certainly increase muscle bulk via hypertrophy. As compared with eating an excess, a smaller portion of the overall growth may come from the separate process of hyperplasia, but it may still occur. Just to a lesser extreme.

So in even shorter - yes, you can 'add muscle' on a caloric deficit.

And let me again iterate that this is based on a general knowledge of human physiology, but I am not, nor do I claim to be, an expert on muscles.

I love it when I see you pop up in the forums.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    my afternoon entertainment.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yes you can!! I have had this stoush many times with some of the "fitness professionals" on here ......

I started off as a very unfit very obese individual - have lost 100 + lbs over 18 months - and worked my buttt off in the gym - and now that I am at about 22 % bodyfat I can actually see real proof of the muscles that I have developed over the past 18 months (all while on a calorie deficit of about 1000 calories a day - as measured with my Bodymedia)......

I am not going to win bodybuilding competitions - but the muscles are there my friend make no mistake!!

I fell into the "exceptions" category - but so does a heap of other people starting out here - it drives me crazy when the "professionals" discourage these people from lifting through their misinformation - grrr...

Very obese
    First time training

I lift heavy (and seriously upping weights) - Since the beginning of the year I have increased most weights between 25% and 30%
    I make sure I eat enough good quality lean protein (to feed my muscles) but more importantly to satiate my hunger....