What's ur Best Marriage Advice

Options
167891012»

Replies

• natsam1411
    Options
    Men hate to talk while women do. That is the biggest hurdle. When they don't we women read all sorts of things in that.

Flirt? Yes, they will love that!

Follow this link and you will learn a lot while laughing your head off!

http://youtu.be/xxtUH_bHBxs
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Honestly, try to not stay irritated at stupid small stuff... like leaving the clothes all over the place or the knife in the peanut butter jar... or worse the jelly out on the counter all night long with the lid off and peanut butter dripping from the sides... because as annoying as hell as that stuff is, there is probably stuff your spouse is super annoyed at as well (like knocking the truck out of alignment that they just had fixed two days prior just by going to visit your parents who live on a gravel and washed out road)... just don't sweat it, because at the end of the day, that stuff is so minor (even if it happens day in and day out and is annoying as hell) and no one is perfect.
    I used to get annoyed at having to pick up my honey's underwear off the floor every morning. Why on earth couldn't he just put it in the hamper?! And rinsing his hairs out of the sink from shaving.
    After my dad died, I got to hear from my stepmom about all the annoying things my dad did while he was alive, and how she missed them terribly. How she wished that she hadn't made such a big deal of them.
    During that awful time of missing my daddy, I started looking at my hubby in a new light. I know that he doesn't make messes for me to clean up on purpose. He overall treats me with love and respect...he is just quite absent-minded. What if I no longer had all these little reminders of my hubby's presence in my life? What if I never saw his underwear on my floor again? What if I never again saw hairs in the bathroom sink from him shaving?
    Now when I see all these little reminders of him, I am thankful that I have a husband who is good to me in so many ways. I clean up after him in a silent act of love.
  • MrsGoHard
    MrsGoHard Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love that.
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    [/quote]
    I used to get annoyed at having to pick up my honey's underwear off the floor every morning. Why on earth couldn't he just put it in the hamper?! And rinsing his hairs out of the sink from shaving.
    After my dad died, I got to hear from my stepmom about all the annoying things my dad did while he was alive, and how she missed them terribly. How she wished that she hadn't made such a big deal of them.
    During that awful time of missing my daddy, I started looking at my hubby in a new light. I know that he doesn't make messes for me to clean up on purpose. He overall treats me with love and respect...he is just quite absent-minded. What if I no longer had all these little reminders of my hubby's presence in my life? What if I never saw his underwear on my floor again? What if I never again saw hairs in the bathroom sink from him shaving?
    Now when I see all these little reminders of him, I am thankful that I have a husband who is good to me in so many ways. I clean up after him in a silent act of love.
    [/quote]

love it
  • Mikesrobin
    Mikesrobin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As you read all of the advice you are getting, understand that no advice is true for all people. I have noticed the "don't go to bed angry" advice in this thread a few times. That advice will work for some (heck, maybe even every other couple in the world but me and my wife) but it does not work in my marriage (we have been married for over 20 years.) Sometimes, cooler heads will prevail in the morning. Don't get in the mindset that your marriage is going to fail if you don't resolve whatever the issue is before you fall asleep. If that works for you, great. If not, find a way that will. Good luck!

You are not the only couple. I have to go to bed angry sometime or I will be very angry at work the next day. How come the biggest arguments happen on a Sunday night? Well at least it is that way for me. In the morning we usually forget what the arguement was about anyway and if we remember you are right cooler heads in the morning can finish the discussion.

By the way 25 years married.
  • jacquelynkay
    jacquelynkay Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Healthy communication & is your biggest supporter/cheerleader -
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    A happy wife is a happy life.

This what my husband says to me! Haha so true!
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Commit to forever. Adopt the principles of experts like Dr. Harley (marriagebuilders.com) who say to keep romantic love alive you must continue doing the things that make your partner fall in love with you (filling the love bank). This requires first that you understand what's truly important to your partner and that you communicate with total honesty about your needs/desires.

Unfortantely, too often one (or both) partner changes to "catch" the other, or they hide what they really want for fear of losing the other partner. Then, after the wedding revert to who they really are because "now we're married and you have to love me the way I am." Well... that person fell in love with you the way you were when dating.

My standard wedding gift is "His Needs Her Needs" by Dr. Harley.

As a result of your post I just finished reading "his needs, her needs" over the past two days or so.

I LOVE IT.

I made some very slight behavioural changes because of it, and got my reward tonight. Completely unprovoked by me, my partner took me in his arms, stared into my eyes and told me what a great couple he thinks we are and how happy I make him. That's to say, we weren't doing bad before, but I think the book really opened my eyes to some issues I hadn't reflected on. Like how I talk to him when I want help with housework or how our needs really DO differ a lot.
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    I have told a few friends about the post. As a result they have signed up for MFP and have read this post. This has really been some awesome reading
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Communication, communication, communication!! Those that talk together, stay together!

I have been happily married for 18 years.