UK low-calorie snacks

Options

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Not sure the nutritional information would suit you, but Velvet Crunch Cassava Snacks are my current favourites. They come in Thai Sweet Chilli, Salt and Vinegar and Cheese and Onion flavours. 84 calories (max) for a 20g packet, and nice and filling.

I saw these yesterday in the supermarket, didnt get them since I'm trying to avoid aspartame, but I think that's going to be impossible, maybe I'll check them out.
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I second the Nakd bars, the gingerbread one is my favourite!!
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I love the skinny topcorn - in 'sweet and salt' and 'heat and sweet' - they're both about 115 calories a pack and because its popcorn you get to eat for longer than a packet of crisps which is nice - and they're tastier! Pret sell a popcorn range that I haven't tried but I'msure they're just as nice.

Highlights hot chocolate - 40 calories per sachet - does me when I want something sweet

Nakd bars are nice - you can get low calorie ones - around 100 calories - or slightly higher so it depends on what you've got left in your calories.

Yoyo's are like fruit thats in a roll - they haven't got extra added stuff so they're quite healthy and 27 calories per roll.
  • haycock86
    Options
    Bump some great ideas here
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Loving alot of these snack ideas and they are making me very hungry!

My favourites are:

- Weight-Watchers Fromage Frais - between 47-49 cals each.
    - Tesco Rich Tea Fingers - only 23 cals per biscuit (might be nice to dip into these individual philly choc. pots i'm hearing about!
    - Danone Shape 0% fat Strawberry yogurts - 75 cals each and
    - Weight watchers Choc. brownie slices - 88 cals each.
  • magaves
    magaves Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sugar free strawberry jelly pots only have 3 calories in!

Also weight watchers tomato soup is only 76 calories for the full tin, I dip in the weight watchers crackers (74 calories for a pack of 4) really fills you up and you feel like you've had a meal!

Also weight watchers hot chocolate in the ready made cups is only 30 cals I think

All the weight watchers food is at the pound shop at the moment
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Total 0% fat greek yogurt by Fage - is in most UK supermarkets. I LOVED that stuff (can't get it where I am now :( )

Oh, and most of the supermarkets do precut carrot batons - 1/2 a kilo for under 3quid. I have to cut them myself here! (sounds like a 3rd world country, doesn't it? :P)
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Stumbled upon two more snacks today while I was shopping. Options Hot Chocolate With Mint is 38 cals with hot water or you could use skimmed milk if you have cals left over. Also, mini-milk ice creams are only 30 cals each.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=low+calorie+snacks+uk finds lots of health and lifestyle magazine articles on the subject.

But then it also finds this thread, so YMMV.
  • Mandy9954
    Mandy9954 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Loving all these treats, keep them coming :-)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am really hooked on Tao kae noi grilled seaweed strips at the moment, they come in various flavours, have about 140 cals per huge bag, and about 8g protein in that. A bag of them can last you snacking all day. I get them in an oriental supermarket.

Seconded, they're lovely! Have yours got strange updated nutritional info labels stuck on them though? My supply has as the calories shown are now really high - I'm sure not accurate...

Twiglets are really good, high fibre and filling, 98 cals for a 25g bag.
  • smudgeroo
    Options
    Far and away my most satisfying low-cal snack is Asda SmartPrice crumpets. Only 65 calories and really fill you up. Tesco Value are very good too, but 75 cals each, so I prefer Asda. Top with some low fat cream cheese for the ultimate satisfying guilt-free nibble!
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    make your own marinaded mushrooms

300g pack of baby btton mushrooms Halved or quartered, 2 finely chopped shallots, i clove crushed garlic, good handful fresh herbs (parsley and basil work very well), teaspoon cumin seeds, teaspoon nigella (onion) seeds, teaspoon wholegrain dijon mustard, tablespoon of good quality balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoon water, juice of a lemon (and a grating of zest if you like)

pop iit all in bowl give it a good stir, leave in fridge for at least an hour (keeps in airtight container for a few days and is at absolute best after 24 hours.

Serve wrapped in baby gem leaf (or Romaine leaf) - I even use this as a starter for guests

The whole recipe is a whopping 90 calories - it easily serves 6 as a starter - it is a satisfying light lunch for two
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    wow some fab ideas here!

I like:

The Food Doctor - Roasted Bean Mix - 25g gives 98 cals and 8.5g protien. In the wholefoods bit in Tesco in a pinky coloured box.

Cherries are yummy and nice and sweet

Rhubarb and Custard sweets are about 35 cals per sweet

Urban fruit dried Pineapple - no mess and takes longer to eat cos it's chewy! (So I eat less; well supposedly anyhow!!) 1/5 of a bag is 57 cals. They do other flavours too like a mango one and a pear one. In the wholefoods bit in Tesco

Sometimes I'll have a teaspoon of desiccated coconut if I want something sweet, or a teaspoon of cashew nut butter (from Holland and Barratt)

Also as already mentioned nakd bars are great. I've made my own variation before using dates, cocoa powder, coconut, nuts etc whizzed up in the blender and rolled into little balls. Think I might have a recipe, will post again if I can find it. Want to make some now :-)
  • kez146
    Options
    Options hot chocolate - at only 40 calories a cup and with loads of delicious flavours to choose from, I find these are a fool-proof way to satisfy chocolate/sugar cravings without the guilt. They can also be bought in individual sachets (30p each I think?) so you can mix and match flavours as the mood takes you. Also, celery sticks and low fat houmous. Or frozen grapes are also great as you can't eat them quickly but they're really refreshing. You can have 28 grapes for 100 calories. Good luck with your diet, keep up the good work!
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    shall read this later for ideas! :wink:
  • andybhoy72
    andybhoy72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Without wanting to sound like a kill joy but surely you should be looking to change your eating habits so you don't go back gaining weight (which is what I assume most people are on this site for?). There is no such thing as a healthy snack.

Make your meals healthy and enjoyable and you won't need to snack. Snack is what makes us eat more calories than we think - we graze and eat without thinking this way.

For a lot of people, myself included, it's the "can never have a snack" and "can never eat something unhealthy" is what causes the cravings to reach breaking point. Cravings isn't the right word though; for me, and many they feel more like compulsions.

I fit treats into my calorie intake and make compromises instead. There have been times that I have tried to remove certain things permanently; after 16 hours of constantly going over the same mental ground, I break. And I mean constantly. But when I say I can have it, but I have to make choices or that I can have it, but I don't have to, the compulsion goes away.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Alpen bars (light) lots of different flavors all about 70cal each comes in box of 5, can gety them in most stores but the cheepest is the 99p store

They are full of sugar and not very filling.

Are you drinking enough water?

You may find you don't need to snack as much if you are fully hydrated.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't snack at all. BUT what I would suggest are protein/healthy fat snacks: hard boiled eggs, biltong, a serving of almonds, a bit of cheese, etc.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Some "junk food" suggestions for occasional snacks:

If you like crisps but don't like low-fat versions, I find that the cheapest multipack crisps (i.e "value", etc.) are usually about 100 calories a bag.

I have the occasional Mini Malteaster bunny at the moment. They are like the big malteser chocolates that you get in Celebrations and they are 61 calories each if I remember correctly!

Cold, sliced meat is fairly low calorie (from about 5 calories a slice). Mattesons Fridge Raiders mini bags are 70 calories for a bag.

Fromage frais - the little ones for children - are about 50 calories each and are nice with a little bit of fruit/nuts/seeds/muesli or on their own.

I don't snack often, but it's nice to have the option sometimes of something which won't end up having to replace a meal.