I'm not knocking anyones "diet" but....

Options

Replies

• jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    ok what is paleo?

Its where you have to stop eating some really healthy foods because cavemen didn't eat them, and look how well the cavemen are doing....

THAT! :D

I couldn't maintain a paleo diet, i LOVE bread and dairy products. yoghurt and cream cheese are my best friends <3
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    A) it is a 'fad'
    Fad - Noun:
    An intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, esp. one that is short-lived; a craze.

Like niner said not many people stay strict paleo for very long making it short-lived.
    B) why it cannot be sustained.

1. Because grain based carbs are delicious!

touche sir. Well played.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    For the record, just because YOU can't do it does not make it unsustainable.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Only the people who aren't willing to learn, then complain about their success have issues reading a paragraph. If you're not lazy, you'll read it, and try to learn something or get something out of it.

Actually, I'm fully educated, I happen to have a mild form of dyslexia which makes it hard for me to read blocks of text with no paragraphs, the words jump around, I lose my concentration on it & forget what I've read.
    Dyslexia is NOT the same as being lazy!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    1. I'm not paleo

2. Paleo is not a fad; it is common sense.

3. The idea is that our bodies a)weren't created to or b) didn't evolve to (whatever you believe) consume all the processed chemicals we eat now and that is one reason we get fat and unhealthy so we should eat more food that looks like real food that grew somewhere and our ancestors would recognize as food.

4. Without looking at a paleo diet, I just try to eat more food, and it helps a lot. I'm still having to work my butt off to lose; however, just the switch to foodier food has lost my husband about 10 pounds. He changed nothing else, just started eating the healthier food I was cooking for dinner each night. Easiest diet in the world for him. (He already worked out really heavily, cardio and weights).

5. Yeah, I'm not gonna do chemicals to lose weight. It that's what it takes, I'll just keep a little fat on me. But really, I think eating cleaner and working out hard is going to do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Wow, lot of Paleo hate here. I encourage those of you to enlighten the class as to why A) it is a 'fad', B) why it cannot be sustained.

We'll wait...
    It's not HATE, it's reality. While carbs aren't essentials, you'd be hard pressed to find athletes, or people who bust their *kitten* in the gym to have sustained levels of energy on a paleo diet. Carbs are much better at glycolysis conversion for the energy needed rather than going through lipolysis from fats. This isn't disputed by medical journals of metabolism.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    EWWWW....what's with all the hate? First of all Paleo is NOT a strict "diet", but I am not going to get into a debate about it. I did say that I am NOT PROMOTING it, I am simply stating my experience in a weight loss competition with a co-worker on the HCG diet. WTF? Do what works for you!!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Funny how most of us Paleo and low-carbers are friendly and supportive, while the annorexic (1000 calorie a day) MFP elite knock everyone else's dietary choices.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Paleo folks are friendly?
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA tell me another one.

You and me and everyone, we're all free to do what we want.

HOWEVER, when there are threads spreading misinformation, such as "you can never eat bread again but eat all the lard you want, this is the only way, big pharma is the debil", I intend to speak up, not to dissuade you or any other dedicated paleonut, but to let our newbies know that they DON"T have to follow a bunch of crazy rules, or eliminate entire food groups.

Just following MFP guidelines will lead to amazing results. Better results even, than I have seen from some paleo's "before/after" shots.

In my experience, paleos are some of the meanest, most judgmental, ANGRY folks on MFP. Apparently ketosis makes people grouchy.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I thought fruits and veggies were actually carbs. Better carbs, but still carbs. Right?
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Sure, but as far as weight loss goes the paleo diet isn't a must, making it "just another diet" "if it work for you...". As far as maintaining, having grains and dairy are AMAZING food sources that are capable of being just as healthy as meats and veggies. That is the problem I have. That once the weight is lost grains and dairy should be made part of the diet.

Cavemen didn't eat grains and dairy because meats and veggies were "better", its because they didn't have the technology we have. If you offered a sandwich and yogurt to a caveman he would eat it.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    1. I'm not paleo

2. Paleo is not a fad; it is common sense.

3. The idea is that our bodies a)weren't created to or b) didn't evolve to (whatever you believe) consume all the processed chemicals we eat now and that is one reason we get fat and unhealthy so we should eat more food that looks like real food that grew somewhere and our ancestors would recognize as food.

4. Without looking at a paleo diet, I just try to eat more food, and it helps a lot. I'm still having to work my butt off to lose; however, just the switch to foodier food has lost my husband about 10 pounds. He changed nothing else, just started eating the healthier food I was cooking for dinner each night. Easiest diet in the world for him. (He already worked out really heavily, cardio and weights).

5. Yeah, I'm not gonna do chemicals to lose weight. It that's what it takes, I'll just keep a little fat on me. But really, I think eating cleaner and working out hard is going to do it.

Eating clean is not the same thing as Paleo...you can eat grains and dairy that are not highly processed. I eat all kinds of food....after all humans are omnivores.....I totally agree to stay away from processed foods but that is not eliminating food groups.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

Funny how most of us Paleo and low-carbers are friendly and supportive, while the annorexic (1000 calorie a day) MFP elite knock everyone else's dietary choices.

Yeah 'cos calling MFP'ers who might not hit 1000cals sometimes "anorexic" is just SO friendly & supportive! :noway:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Find me a "paleo" ice cream, cake, and rice that doesn't taste like s....t and you may convince me.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    English class?
    Class on what is or isn't a Fad diet?
    History of the Cave Man?
    Muscle jocks vs weight loss chick?

I'm so confused.

If it's working for you, good job.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Wow, lot of Paleo hate here. I encourage those of you to enlighten the class as to why A) it is a 'fad', B) why it cannot be sustained.

We'll wait...
    It's not HATE, it's reality. While carbs aren't essentials, you'd be hard pressed to find athletes, or people who bust their *kitten* in the gym to have sustained levels of energy on a paleo diet. Carbs are much better at glycolysis conversion for the energy needed rather than going through lipolysis from fats. This isn't disputed by medical journals of metabolism.

Carbs are not the focus of Paleo. However, dropping the refined and processed junk which happens to include carb-heavy foods.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Cavemen didn't eat grains and dairy because meats and veggies were "better", its because they didn't have the technology we have. If you offered a sandwich and yogurt to a caveman he would eat it.
    THIS. When foods with higher sugars in it were found (berries, sugar cane etc.) you can bet your *kitten* the cavemen fought tooth and nail over it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I am not Paleo, but I do love many Paleo recipes!

No judgement here. I feel whatever works for someone, that's their business. Many people use MFP, lose weight, fall off the wagon then come back. They are all diet tools. They work when you put the work in. I like keeping lower starchy carbs mainly because I feel so much better in many ways that have nothing to do with weight loss. I like eating clean and I like not eating a whole lot of processed foods.

If someone asks me how I lost weight, I will tell them but that doesn't mean what I do will work for them. There's nothing I can't eat, but there are a few things that just aren't worth it to me to eat.

So good for you for finding something that has been working for you. And if you find in a few years its not working for you, then find something new. There are styles and colors and things I liked and worked for me ten years ago that don't work for me now, so I don't see why food can't be the same way.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    ok what is paleo?

Its where you have to stop eating some really healthy foods because cavemen didn't eat them, and look how well the cavemen are doing....

this made me laugh :)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    A) it is a 'fad'
    Fad - Noun:
    An intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, esp. one that is short-lived; a craze.

Like niner said not many people stay strict paleo for very long making it short-lived.
    B) why it cannot be sustained.

1. Because grain based carbs are delicious!

The bagel I'm eating right now is proof of that. :drinker:
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options

Sure, but as far as weight loss goes the paleo diet isn't a must, making it "just another diet" "if it work for you...". As far as maintaining, having grains and dairy are AMAZING food sources that are capable of being just as healthy as meats and veggies. That is the problem I have. That once the weight is lost grains and dairy should be made part of the diet.

I totally see your point here. It makes sense. Myself nor the OP are claiming that Paleo is the end all be all diet. However, I help a personal trainer teach his clients about the diet because it works for me and I have yet to see one person not have major improvements to their health in the course of a month. And no, you probably won't find a Paleo ice-cream cake that doesn't tast like s***. Then again you probably won't find one that is GOOD for you either no matter what "low carb" "sugar free" propaganda they put on the box.

The bottom line is that Paleo isn't for everyone. Not everyone can give up bread and pasta (which by the way you don't have to give up 100%) but those of us are doing it seem to be pleased with it. All I'm saying is to be open minded and not so quick to label it as a 'fad' or 'unsustainable' just because you choose a different path. We're all, well most, here for the same goal and that's to get healthy.