Fashion show at the gym??????

Options

Replies

• Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I think it is funny on one hand several people complain about stinky people, then on the other hand people complain about people that took some effort to get ready.

Yeah I have taken showers before I go to the gym, yeah I have put a little bit of cologne on. Not enough to kill anyone with but, I dont want to blast body odor on the poor girl next to me on the elliptical ...

Trust me, its appreciated!
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am definitely showered before going to the gym. I couldn't go otherwise. I don't see anything wrong with wearing "cute" workout clothes - I will once I lose the weight that I want but - like one girl I saw that came to work out with a trainer....she had long nails and everything. I'm surprised she wasn't wearing heels! LOL That's what I'm talking about... and again, it's not so much the way ppl dress, it's more about the people who go to the gym and read or talk on the phone or text ... Maybe I'm just missing something or maybe I just suck at multi-tasking but I can't concentrate on a magazine or texting while I'm jogging lol.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When I started going to the gym I wore my old t-shirts and shorts. As I lost weight I needed some new stuff to wear and it was really fun to pick out some cute work out clothes. Guess what? I feel better in them. I take a lot of group exercise classes with wall to wall mirrors. I like feeling good about my reflection. We are all different.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    I am definitely showered before going to the gym. I couldn't go otherwise. I don't see anything wrong with wearing "cute" workout clothes - I will once I lose the weight that I want but - like one girl I saw that came to work out with a trainer....she had long nails and everything. I'm surprised she wasn't wearing heels! LOL That's what I'm talking about... and again, it's not so much the way ppl dress, it's more about the people who go to the gym and read or talk on the phone or text ... Maybe I'm just missing something or maybe I just suck at multi-tasking but I can't concentrate on a magazine or texting while I'm jogging lol.

Is she supposed to cut her nails to workout? My best friend is a fitness competitor with 10% body fat and she does the overhead press with 40lb dumbbells with long nails.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    I always wear makeup to the gym. Learnt that lesson the first day i went and noticed the fashion parade, and thought no fricking way i'm letting them look me up and down like i'm some loser. I'm putting my war paint on LOL! I don't make so much effort with my clothes because i just can't afford the expensive matching stuff, but yes, the face is always there. I have fake nails too :laugh:
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If I were to go to the gym (I workout at home), I would definitely at least match. I have a little ocd about that lol. I personally prefer to workout in short shorts and a sports bra, and I'd be uncomfortable wearing that in the gym, so I workout at home mostly. When I do go to the gym, I wear shorts or capris and a shirt... as long as they dont' clash I'm good.

Although I do LOVE my matching short shorts and sports bra from aerie ;) I'm one of those people who never did sports where they gave you free t shirts or where you had to get workout clothes, so I didnt' accrue them over the years. I only recently started working out so when I did I slowly bought more and more workout gear. because of that, all that I own is cute stuff :) lol
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    If you still look pretty afterwards, you're doing it wrong.

That's my most favorite saying for exercising.
    Basically, it's not a fashion show. I don't go to the gym (home gym), but when I did, it was tight shorts, tight cut off tees, and make-up galore. If I wanted to see that, I'd go to the hooker place down the street (JK! There is no hooker place down the street).
    Like jennifer said, you could spend a few extra minutes, without looking like them though.

I don't wear fashion... I like to look like I know what I'm doing! shorts and tees or sports bra with tank...plus running shoes... I don't wear any make up (like in my photo... I don't like looking like a hot mess!) I like what I look like when I'm hot and sweaty. i'm not there to attracted anyone's attention. GET TO WORK!!! If you look don't blame me! :laugh:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    If you still look pretty afterwards, you're doing it wrong.

That's my most favorite saying for exercising.
    Basically, it's not a fashion show. I don't go to the gym (home gym), but when I did, it was tight shorts, tight cut off tees, and make-up galore. If I wanted to see that, I'd go to the hooker place down the street (JK! There is no hooker place down the street).
    Like jennifer said, you could spend a few extra minutes, without looking like them though.

I'm not sure whats considered "doing it right" to you but I still look pretty after the gym and my make up doesn't run. My gym is cold and I only go there to lift as I do all my cardio outside. With that, I hardly sweat. I just glisten a little bit :smile:
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    And who's to judge how hard you work by how hard you sweat? Some people break out in a sweat just going up a flight of stairs or when it is hot out. Others don't sweat so much! So that means that person walking on the treadmill sweating buckets is working harder than say me lifting heavy or riding hard and not sweating buckets?
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Is she supposed to cut her nails to workout? My best friend is a fitness competitor with 10% body fat and she does the overhead press with 40lb dumbbells with long nails.

Yes, if it's interferring with proper form. You would have had to see it. I'm talking LONG nails unable to hold on to treadmill even though she needed to long .... I'm not saying that you can't have long nails, can't wear makeup, can't look cute while working out..... I'm just stating what I, myself have seen that I think is pretty ridiculous in my personal opinion. Obviously she was completely comfortable with it. I'm just saying, for me, it wouldn't have worked! :)
  • Lynnjoyce
    Options
    I work out in what is most comfortable for me which happens to be spandex capris with a pair of shorts over them (no wedgies while running and no worries about anything showing while working the leg machines). I sweat alot while on the treadmill and I've found out the quick-dry workout shirts are more comfy and don't get the heavy feeling and don't sick to your body while when drenched in sweat..lol. So not only do workout clothes look a little cuter than an old t-shirt and sweatpant, they actually do serve a purpose for me. As for the hair and make up...I don't waste time on that before heading to the gym...not going there to impress anyone, I'm going there for me, no one else :)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I'm only guilty of wearing Lululemon yoga pants while toting my subscription to SHAPE. Those and my bobble water bottle are the only things I carry at all times when I'm at the gym. I haven't had a membership for 6 mos, and even then it was really tiny and most people weren't affected by what other people wore. HS kids were members and those were the only girls who always looked "put" together. I had a roommate a couple of years ago who ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to go to the gym or hiking without a full face, her hair done and just her sports bra and capris. I HATED going to the gym because she always had a face and did the Miss America wave. It was horrible.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't give thought to how I dress-or how others dress. I actually think the matching outfits are cute AND I'd think it was EASIER to put it together--because it already matches! As for makeup, hair, etc, I have no idea where these people are coming from-or where they are going after their workouts.
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    absolutely not. not only do i sweat in ridiculous amounts that it wouldn't even matter how much effort i put into looking good, i also don't care what other people think of how i look. im there for myself and to get a good work out and thats it!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have an extensive wardrobe of workout clothes and proud of it. I don't wear make up to work out because I fear that I will clog my pores, plus mascara running into your eyes from sweating burns like no other.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    i'm a sweaty disgusting mess when i leave why bother putting any effort into how i look when i get there, it's just going to get ruined anyway...
    denise

exactly! no effort really
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I dont get made up for the gym. I wear capri pants and a t-shirt. I dont notice the others... I am lost in my ipod and jamming to the tunes.

12908857.png
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I am happily married but you will still find me as "one of those women" who matches (heaven forbid?). It is not at all related to wanting to find a guy, but because if I FEEL good, I work hard. It's ridiculous to see some of the comments on here that suggest you could not possibly be at the gym to work hard if you match.

Ridiculous.
    I don't go to the gym until after work and I must say that it is definitely a fashion show then!!! People are coming in all dressed up and then changing into outfits that are cute and color coordinate. When I'm at the gym I'm there for a hard workout (at least an hour) and it makes me laugh to watch some people that are there searching for guy/girl they think is cute. If I could make it to the gym in the morning and my schedule allowed, I would be working out at that time. I think for most people, if you are up that early and committed, it's less of a fashion show than the afternoon crowd.

I also go to the gym after work. The reason I am one of the ones that is "all dressed up" is because I work in an office with a business professional dress code. I then put on an outfit that is "cute and color coordinate" because I like that stuff. What does it matter to you if my shirt matches my shorts? My hair is done and my makeup is on my face when I get to the gym because I come straight from work and if I don't go right after work then I don't have time because I have a 5 year old and other home responsibilites. I work my butt off at the gym, my clothes and what I am wearing have NOTHING to do with how hard I work. and I am certainly not there to pick up anyone "cute" just because my clothes match!!!!!!
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I DID NOT want to go to the gym this morning! It took every bit of energy I had to get out of bed (while the hubby slept). I threw on some old cut off sweatpants and tee-shirt. I didn’t brush my hair, just threw it in a bun and am pretty sure I had mascara under my eyes from the day before… BUT I WENT and I had a great workout!
    While I was on the elliptical I looked around and saw all these women that could have been on the cover of “Shape” magazine with their cute yoga pants and matching sports bras, hair in 2 perfect pigtail brides and I am pretty sure some of them had make up on. I just started thinking how much thought people give to getting ready for the gym. I do have to clarify that I don’t always look as bad as I did today, but for me it was about getting there not about what I looked like while I was there… What are your thoughts, do you give a lot of effort to your appearance when you go workout?

I think its up to them how they want to look and to me it kinda seems like the ones that complain so much about it come of as a lil jealous
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't have cute workout clothes or perfect makeup. I change after work and go. I do care about being presentable but usually I am a mess by the time I am done. Those women are concerned about the external. I am concerned about my heart, bones, muscles, tendons, organs and quality of life.