Food Diary ... less is NOT more.

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Some people generally don't have time to exercise: night workers for example, say they work 8pm-8am, they come home and go straight to sleep, get up, have a bath and food then off they go again. It's wrong to make assumptions that people are basically being lazy and making excuses for not eating healthily and not exercising.
    Some days i eat 2 meals a day others i eat 3 and have 3 snacks, it's all about what works for the person. I've managed to lose weight doing so therefore i'm not going to change my ways :)

I used to work a similar shift and I went to work out before I came home and then showered and laid down.

There is 24 hours in a day........and it doesn't take long, drawn out workouts. Get in, get out in 20-30 minutes.

Where this is a will, there is a way.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Although I comlety agree with you on eating good, I just want to say I lost 32 pounds eating fast food, and eating up to 1700 in one meal, so yes it can be done, but no you wont feel better after it and yes it probably will set you up to gain back, but you can loose on crap food, but if you want a life change and be healthy then eating clean is the BEST way
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    For me, this all depends on the day. Some days I need a "down" day where I hunker down with my Kindle and a nap. These are the days I'm likely to eat three meals and no snacks.

On work days (my schedule varies, I work first and second shift, never a consistent work week), I do pack a lunch and usually eat bulkier foods. If we go out to eat, I will save my snack calories for a bigger meal out.

I'm nearly a month in and losing well, but then again I still have over 80 pounds to lose.

I will say that some of me weight re-gain happened after I graduated nursing school and was still working lower-paying jobs, so I was picking up lots of extra shifts, and I worked two jobs for 2 years straight. For over a year I had a total of 4 days off a month. The days I worked the part time job were 12 hour days. Plus I had a 45 minute commute each way. So I did what was easiest, I was very, very tired during that time. Yeah, it's an excuse and I wouldn't do that now...but I did what I had to do to survive at the time. Would I make different choices now put back in the same situation? Absolutely!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Geez, I'm so tired of all these rants about what other people are doing and not doing. Unless you have a degree in nutrition and exercise, I'm not trying to hear what you have to say. Let people eat and exercise how they want to. How does it hurt you, if someone else isn't eating enough/working out enough IF you are? Worry about yourself and your weight loss and Lead by your ACTIONS NOT YOUR RANTS.
    Thank you!

LOVE THIS!

Like my mom always told me "mind your own business" heh
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Sorry that this is not really on topic, BUT I HAVE to ask:
    I hate it when my Tim Hortons tea costs me 150 calories

What on earth do put in your tea? I drink Timmy's all the time, and my tea only cost me 15 cals.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

^ Gotta be trolling.

At least he knows what his view is called ;-)

OMG... Really?!?!

Your body can only handle so much energy in one sitting; therefore, not eating anything all day, and then all of a sudden stuffing your bodies with as much food as possible in one sitting is not only stupid but it's unhealthy. C'mon man.. This isn't rocket science.

Secondly, if you weigh 600lbs you can easily lose weight by eating only one meal. But if you're trying to get healthy, lower body fat percentage, etc, you need to eat responsibly.
    I would say it's my opinion, but damn, it's common sense.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this..............but please research and read the leangains.com website.

Many of us Intermittent fast and eat one time daily and leaning out really fine.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Although I comlety agree with you on eating good, I just want to say I lost 32 pounds eating fast food, and eating up to 1700 in one meal, so yes it can be done, but no you wont feel better after it and yes it probably will set you up to gain back, but you can loose on crap food, but if you want a life change and be healthy then eating clean is the BEST way

The opposite can also be true. A couple of years ago I switched to a completely clean diet and lasted only a few months before I binged and my weight rebounded. I now practice IIFYM and have been far more successful at sustaining that. It truly is a matter of personal preference.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Could you please make your diary public so we can all rip it apart?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    After reading through this entire thread, my take on this is that the OP comes across as judgemental and slightly rude: unless it was someone on YOUR specific friends list who very specifically asked for help with their goals...why do you care what other people do? If people post for help on the boards, they obviously want some advice, but they don't deserve to be attacked or told they are "wrong." It's possible to give constructive criticism and suggestions for change without making people feel like crap. Who are you to judge what is the "right way" for someone to lose weight? Some people eat clean, some eat fast food, some people exercise, some don't, etc etc etc. All of us need to do what works best for us.

:grumble: (wishing there was a "facepalm" smiley for me right now...oy vay...)
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Geez, I'm so tired of all these rants about what other people are doing and not doing. Unless you have a degree in nutrition and exercise, I'm not trying to hear what you have to say. Let people eat and exercise how they want to. How does it hurt you, if someone else isn't eating enough/working out enough IF you are? Worry about yourself and your weight loss and Lead by your ACTIONS NOT YOUR RANTS.
    Thank you!

word
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    OMG...The most interesting thread I have read in ages...Lmao!!!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the public food diaries I see. I don't understand how my MFP peeps expect to lose weight cramming all their calories in one, maybe two meals.

I'm not so sure it really matters when you eat your calories. There are some days I eat half of mine in one meal, but hasn't hindered me in the slightest. The body doesn't care if you eat three meals, two or seven.

I think it is better for your metabolism, to eat regularly. I have 3 meals, plus 2/3 snacks at regular intervals.

This is false. You do not need to eat regularly to speed up your metabolism. Actually the opposite is true, short bouts of abstinence from food (eg. intermittent fasting) actually speeds up fat burning. FYI.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    ahahahahaha I love when everyone decides to bash the OP. Makes for good entertainment at work.

Glad I could amuse you today :wink:
    I didn't realize this was going to turn into a public lashing for voicing my opinion (as everyone else so freely does!)
    LMAO

I just find it hilarious that you seem to ignore any post that argues that your point about eating more frequently is actually incorrect. And it is, by the way, you are very very wrong.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    ahahahahaha I love when everyone decides to bash the OP. Makes for good entertainment at work.

Glad I could amuse you today :wink:
    I didn't realize this was going to turn into a public lashing for voicing my opinion (as everyone else so freely does!)
    LMAO

I just find it hilarious that you seem to ignore any post that argues that your point about eating more frequently is actually incorrect. And it is, by the way, you are very very wrong.

You've lost 72 KILOS??? Amazing work!

I'll listen to weight loss advice from someone who's lost 72kgs any day of the week.

Good grief you are an inspiration.
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

This x100
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    thread-crap-wont_die.jpg
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options

I eat 5 times a day and "try" to make wise choices throughout the day which ultimately lets me eat that much more food.

This is your way, other people have other ways. some eat 2 big meals, some like me do intermittent fasting, NO FOOD after 7pm and NO FOOD before 12pm. all have their benefits.
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options
    I am amazed at the public food diaries I see. I don't understand how my MFP peeps expect to lose weight cramming all their calories in one, maybe two meals.

I'm not so sure it really matters when you eat your calories. There are some days I eat half of mine in one meal, but hasn't hindered me in the slightest. The body doesn't care if you eat three meals, two or seven.

I think it is better for your metabolism, to eat regularly. I have 3 meals, plus 2/3 snacks at regular intervals.

This is false. You do not need to eat regularly to speed up your metabolism. Actually the opposite is true, short bouts of abstinence from food (eg. intermittent fasting) actually speeds up fat burning. FYI.

Amen sister.
  • NanniesKitchen
    Options
    And, this is EXACTLY why I keep my diary private..

Shame on you..

Shame on me? Oh please ... food diaries are made public for a reason.
    Go ahead, criticise mine.
    That's precisely what I'm here for ... support and constructive criticism.

Leave people alone. You have no right to sit here and negatively criticize anyone. Just because someone leaves their diary public doesn't give you the God given right to belittle them, judge them, and make this pathetic post about them. Do you know what constructive criticism is? It's meant to help someone improve.. not make them feel bad about themselves, we are all here to learn and we are all here for a reason. If we all knew everything, NOBODY would be here!!! What works for someone else may or may not work for you.

Again, leave people alone.. if you can't say something nice, then just don't say it at all..

Criticize your diary?? Your diary is not open..So, how can anyone give you any constructive criticism? Unless they are on your friends list.. So, save it.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i tend to eat the bulk of my calories between 7pm and 8pm. then hubby and i go to the gym around 10pm. and i usually don't eat a thing at all before 2 or 3pm. why do i do this? because my major problem that caused me to GAIN weight was stuffing my face mindlessly at night when unwinding before bed. i even edited my diary to be in 2 hour blocks from 2pm to 10pm (with an 'other' category if i slip and eat before or after those times).

i eat a big meal (usually 1/2 of my calories for the day, sometimes more) in the evening -almost always including a large salad- and reserve about 200 calories for a small snack (typically yogurt) after my workout. it has helped me to avoid the one thing that caused me to gain the majority of the weight in the first place - the late night snacking.

lastly, i like being full, i can't sleep if my stomach is rumbling. it's much easier for me to deal with hunger pangs in the early afternoon instead of late at night. bottom line? it's my food, and my calories. i'll eat when i want.