Food Diary ... less is NOT more.

Options
I am amazed at the grumbling I read from people who are frustrated with their weight loss journey ... I am amazed at the public food diaries I see. I don't understand how my MFP peeps expect to lose weight cramming all their calories in one, maybe two meals. Eating processed crap and frozen meals is okay once in awhile but geez, all the time?

I eat 5 times a day and "try" to make wise choices throughout the day which ultimately lets me eat that much more food. And more wholesome food ... food full of flavour !! It pisses me off to no end when I blow 240 calories on 2 slices of rye bread for pete's sake. I hate it when my Tim Hortons tea costs me 150 calories but there are days when I make the sacrifice. It's not about eliminating the things I love. It's about making better choices. I try and find better alternatives of my favorites by tweaking recipes for healthy options. I still treat myself but know that treating myself means not making a habit out of it ... habits like those turn into bad eating behaviors !

It drives me crazy to hear people say they don't have time to exercise or prepare fresh foods. Seriously people? Do you know how many hours there are in a day? Trade one sedentary activity for an activity of some sort ... trade that sedentary activity in and take care of your body! Mentally AND physically you'll feel better.

I feel better eating better and although the scale may have gone on strike, I am seeing a big difference in my clothes and how I feel. I log everything I eat, even the days I've eaten deep fried dill pickles. It holds me accountable.
Headaches have subsided, I sleep better, my energy levels are up and I no longer feel lethargic. My workouts are powered better (physically and mentally) and I genuinely feel better knowing I'm taking better care of myself.

If your weight loss journey doesn't challenge you, how does it change you?

Replies

• oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the public food diaries I see. I don't understand how my MFP peeps expect to lose weight cramming all their calories in one, maybe two meals.

I'm not so sure it really matters when you eat your calories. There are some days I eat half of mine in one meal, but hasn't hindered me in the slightest. The body doesn't care if you eat three meals, two or seven.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter, there is a growing movement towards intermittent fasting styles of eating. You do not need to be a slave to 5-6 meals a day.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I still eat fast food and processed food, sometimes I only eat 2-3 meals a day... there are days that I don't fit in a workout... yet somehow I'm still making progress.

It's nice that you found something that works for you, but maybe it's better to keep your focus on what's working for YOU and not what bothers you about what might or might not be working for others.
  • PaulaSwanson
    Options
    :smile: so true! Love your post....I know that part of not cramming my face is eating smaller, healthier portions throughout the day. I traded chips for celery and pop for milk, water and juice. Now, not only do I have less blood sugar swings, I have more over-all energy. Plus I'm losing weight. Some days I do eat under my recommended daily intake, some days I go over, but I never starve myself and I have been exercising every week, instead of never.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    I am amazed at the public food diaries I see. I don't understand how my MFP peeps expect to lose weight cramming all their calories in one, maybe two meals.

I'm not so sure it really matters when you eat your calories. There are some days I eat half of mine in one meal, but hasn't hindered me in the slightest. The body doesn't care if you eat three meals, two or seven.

I think it is better for your metabolism, to eat regularly. I have 3 meals, plus 2/3 snacks at regular intervals.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,222 Member
    Options
    I cram all my food into 2-3 meals, and have no issue losing fat. In fact, it is when I eat more smaller meals that I find it much more difficult to stick with the calories I am supposed to eat, and I am much more likely to binge. Good thing all the clinical evidence shows meal timing and frequency do not have any effect on metabolism or weight loss. If you look at those diaries carefully you will find people are either eating too much or too little, whether they do it in one meal or six.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter for your calories. You can eat them all in an hour if that is what you want to do. Not everyone is ready to make the same committment that you have to your exercise and diet. To each their own. It shouldn't piss you off that people are doing something different than what you are doing. I have enough trouble making sure I do what I need to do without worrying about what everyone else here is doing. Best of luck!
  • xafricanqueen07x
    xafricanqueen07x Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Geez, I'm so tired of all these rants about what other people are doing and not doing. Unless you have a degree in nutrition and exercise, I'm not trying to hear what you have to say. Let people eat and exercise how they want to. How does it hurt you, if someone else isn't eating enough/working out enough IF you are? Worry about yourself and your weight loss and Lead by your ACTIONS NOT YOUR RANTS.
    Thank you!
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Agree with honeysprinkle, Phrak and oldmanstauf. And challenges are all well and good, but if you push someone entirely out of their comfortzone some people will rebel. You can't *make* someone do it your way, and I don't see why you would wish to. Let people do it their own way, they'll make the changes as and when they're ready.
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Geez, I'm so tired of all these rants about what other people are doing and not doing. Unless you have a degree in nutrition and exercise, I'm not trying to hear what you have to say. Let people eat and exercise how they want to. How does it hurt you, if someone else isn't eating enough/working out enough IF you are? Worry about yourself and your weight loss and Lead by your ACTIONS NOT YOUR RANTS.
    Thank you!
    This.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    I agree with all of this!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Get off your high horse.

It's really none of your business if people eat 2 meals a day or 6.
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i think it has to do with money..

I mean i am one of the best examples of how to NOT eat healthily..
    But there are days when i eat that way simply because its cheaper.
    I mean as hard as i try i cannot get a job, but i am not entitled to benefits either, so i have absolutely no income what so ever..
    And i walk into a shop to do my grocery shopping, with like a 5er to feed both me and my fiance for the whole day..
    Now i could buy 1 pack of like 6 giant chocolate muffins for a pound, and like 1 giant pizza for £2.. And that would feed us for the day and we would be full..
    Or we could spend £6 on 2 healthy wraps that were still hungry after eating..
    Yes they may be crazy healthy, and it may be excellent money for how healthy they are..
    But its just unreasonable for someone like to spend more money on food because its healthy..

- But i think im missing the overall point of this post..
    I will eat all of the food we buy the second we have bought it, and it will keep me fall all day.
    I know that is considered binge eating.. But well im not gaining weight doing it..
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I agree that eating healthy is better for you and will be better for your health in the long run. Its not necessary to eat 5 or 6 times a day though. I eat 2 or 3 times a day (depending on the size of the meals) and its great. No blood sugar crashes and fewer insulin spikes. I also don't eat grains, so that makes this easier.
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

Common sense prevails ...
  • redshoeshelley
    Options
    Get off your high horse.

It's really none of your business if people eat 2 meals a day or 6.

Get off my high horse? Your reply just made me bust out laughing !
    Funny, I didn't imply that I was on a pedastal to ANYONE! What works for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone else but I know that my body works better and is fueled better the way I choose to do this.
    Common sense prevails ...
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Regardless of metabolism, eating multiple meals (4 or more) a day keeps me from getting crazy hungry and making bad choices. My brother, on the other hand, maintains his healthy weight by eating one meal a day and having one snack a day. We are not all the same, and we all have to find what works in our lives. What REALLY works.

I do get a little frustrated at the posts of , "I am doing everything exactly right and it isn't working". I hate to contradict the obvious.....
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy to hear people say they don't have time to exercise or prepare fresh foods. Seriously people? Do you know how many hours there are in a day? Trade one sedentary activity for an activity of some sort ... trade that sedentary activity in and take care of your body!

I do make time for exercise, but I work ridiculously long hours, many weekends and still have to put food on the table for my family, so I often don't have time for preparing a meal from scratch. I'm sure it is more nutritious, but I think it's a little much for you to assume everyone's day is just full of sedentary time! I don't even get to watch TV!
  • redshoeshelley
    Options
    :smile: so true! Love your post....I know that part of not cramming my face is eating smaller, healthier portions throughout the day. I traded chips for celery and pop for milk, water and juice. Now, not only do I have less blood sugar swings, I have more over-all energy. Plus I'm losing weight. Some days I do eat under my recommended daily intake, some days I go over, but I never starve myself and I have been exercising every week, instead of never.

Finally !! Someone who understands what I'm talking about ... THANK YOU !!