Food Diary ... less is NOT more.

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the public food diaries I see. I don't understand how my MFP peeps expect to lose weight cramming all their calories in one, maybe two meals.

I'm not so sure it really matters when you eat your calories. There are some days I eat half of mine in one meal, but hasn't hindered me in the slightest. The body doesn't care if you eat three meals, two or seven.

I think it is better for your metabolism, to eat regularly. I have 3 meals, plus 2/3 snacks at regular intervals.

You know that's a myth, right? Having more frequent meals/snacks does **** all for your metabolism.

Why do people still believe this? Seriously.

Look at it this way; You have (Subject A) who is eating 3-5 normal size meals a day and (Subject B) who is eating 1 big stupid *kitten* meal once a day. Subject A metabolism will burn as much carbs as it can and store the rest as fat. Subject B, dumb *kitten*, metabolism will burn as much carbs as it can and store the rest as fat as well. Subject A only has 35g of carbs to burn. Subject B, stupid *kitten*, has 196g of carbs to burn. Which subject do you think will have the most carbs left over to be stored as fat? Please don't out smart your common sense.

It's simple math. If you eat 1500 calories, with a TDEE of 2000 calories, it makes NO difference if you eat 15 100 calorie meals, or 1 1500 calorie meal, your body will burn off all 1500 calories you eat, plus 500 calories of stored fat, for a net deficit of 500 calories for that 24 hour period.

Common sense quite simply says, if you eat at a calorie deficit, your body will NOT store fat. Common sense says that your body can't store excess fat if you aren't eating excess calories, as your body needs calories to fuel itself, and it will not magically store calories and run on magic in order to store fat just because you ate all your calories in one meal.

A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit. Maybe you should learn how math works.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    < -- lost almost 40 lbs eating "crap" in 1-2 meals per day. I cook often also, but I still eat fast food and restaurant food. I also lift heavy 3x per week. Rarely eat breakfast, and skip lunch also on some days. Eat all my calories in the evening.

Body fat percentage gone from 46% to 29%.

You were saying?
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Bump. I :heart: a controversial thread. Gets me through the workday.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have Radiohead tickets.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Science is just so gosh darn hard!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I have Radiohead tickets.

Smuggle me in your cleavage. I want to peer out from behind Don Don...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the public food diaries I see. I don't understand how my MFP peeps expect to lose weight cramming all their calories in one, maybe two meals.

I'm not so sure it really matters when you eat your calories. There are some days I eat half of mine in one meal, but hasn't hindered me in the slightest. The body doesn't care if you eat three meals, two or seven.

I think it is better for your metabolism, to eat regularly. I have 3 meals, plus 2/3 snacks at regular intervals.

You know that's a myth, right? Having more frequent meals/snacks does **** all for your metabolism.

Look at it this way; You have (Subject A) who is eating 3-5 normal size meals a day and (Subject B) who is eating 1 big stupid *kitten* meal once a day. Subject A metabolism will burn as much carbs as it can and store the rest as fat. Subject B, dumb *kitten*, metabolism will burn as much carbs as it can and store the rest as fat as well. Subject A only has 35g of carbs to burn. Subject B, stupid *kitten*, has 196g of carbs to burn. Which subject do you think will have the most carbs left over to be stored as fat? Please don't out smart your common sense.

There's no science backing to this. Two years of both basic Anatomy & Physiology and Microbiology classes have taught me this. Your body doesn't automatically reset every 24 hours, and body processes balance it out in such a short amount of time, anyway.

It's called BroScience...

^ Gotta be trolling.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options

There's no science backing to this. Two years of both basic Anatomy & Physiology and Microbiology classes have taught me this. Your body doesn't automatically reset every 24 hours, and body processes balance it out in such a short amount of time, anyway.

It's called BroScience...

^ Gotta be trolling.

At least he knows what his view is called ;-)
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Do you have children?
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It's not healthy to eat all of your calories in one sitting. You will have an extremely high fat percentage, and your metabolism will pretty much be shot. BUT, you can still lose weight by doing it. Some people are not here to get healthier, lower body fat %, etc. They are simply here to lose weight.

bull01soapoprah.gif
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    I agree with some of what you have said, but not all of it! I eat 3/4 meals and one snack mostly each day which brings my cals up to 1,500! One thing I do not agree with however is when you give out about people making excuses that they do not have time to preplan food and exercise!! I for one am one of those people, except it kills me to think I cant exercise, but I simple dont have the time!!

I get up a 6.45am each morning and study for 1 hour, I leave for school at 8.30am and am in school from 9am to 4pm. When I come home from school, I study/do homework from 4.30pm to 6pm, get dinner from 6pm to 7pm and from 7pm to 10/11pm I am once again studying! I physically do not have ANY time to study. By the time I am done school work I am tired and have to get my hours of sleep in or I wont function properly in school!! Everyone has different committments in life and sometimes you just cannot work around them! My life is school for the next 3 months, until I do my exams or I wont be going to Uni!!

Please take these things into consideration before posting a comment like this! It makes us who cant exercise feel 10 times worse!!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Did anyone happen to notice this statement at the bottom of this page?

"Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."

I re-read my post and don't find it horrific ... it's unfortunate that others took it as a personal attack.

However ... that being said, my apologies ... must have eaten two scoops of grumpy in my bowl full of b*tchies this morning. Evidently, no one else should be allowed the freedom to rant either.

That is all.

I think its okay to rant but not to attack the way others are doing things. People lose weight all sorts of way and if it suits them - that's great. Sometimes people change little things at the begininning. There may be more changes to come. Lets all just keep doing what works for us.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,272 Member
    Options
    Did anyone happen to notice this statement at the bottom of this page?

"Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."

I re-read my post and don't find it horrific ... it's unfortunate that others took it as a personal attack.

However ... that being said, my apologies ... must have eaten two scoops of grumpy in my bowl full of b*tchies this morning. Evidently, no one else should be allowed the freedom to rant either.

That is all.

You attacked people with myths and unbacked claims. You pretty much told people that they are wrong because they don't do it the same way you do it. You were rude and condescending...

And you wonder why people took it badly?

I really wish people would stop spreading mistruths and myths about weight loss... but that isn't going to happen either it seems.
  • sullymanjohn
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else...but between exercising 45 minutes a day and eating 90% of my calories from vegetables and fruits it's a real battle to not UNDER eat during the day. I'm fighting to take in my 1500 calories a day or 18-2000 calories on my work out days. I don't see how if you're really working at eating correctly you can go over your calories...
  • BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options

^ Gotta be trolling.

[/quote]

OMG... Really?!?!

Your body can only handle so much energy in one sitting; therefore, not eating anything all day, and then all of a sudden stuffing your bodies with as much food as possible in one sitting is not only stupid but it's unhealthy. C'mon man.. This isn't rocket science.

Secondly, if you weigh 600lbs you can easily lose weight by eating only one meal. But if you're trying to get healthy, lower body fat percentage, etc, you need to eat responsibly.
    I would say it's my opinion, but damn, it's common sense.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

^ Gotta be trolling.

OMG... Really?!?!

Your body can only handle so much energy in one sitting; therefore, not eating anything all day, and then all of a sudden stuffing your bodies with as much food as possible in one sitting is not only stupid but it's unhealthy. C'mon man.. This isn't rocket science.

How much energy can your body handle in one sitting then? Furthermore, what do you think happens over the course of time?

if you're eating in a caloric deficit, fat oxidation exceeds fat storage and you lose bodyfat EVEN IF YOU OVEREAT SHORT TERM.

Secondly, if you weigh 600lbs you can easily lose weight by eating only one meal. But if you're trying to get healthy, lower body fat percentage, etc, you need to eat responsibly.

No offense sir, but common sense and reality are not the same in the nutrition game. So far, everything you've claimed has been either false or ambiguous.

You may wish to read this:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • NanniesKitchen
    Options
    And, this is EXACTLY why I keep my diary private..

Shame on you..
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Broscience.

I'm on my lollerskates
  • BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options

^ Gotta be trolling.

OMG... Really?!?!

How much energy can your body handle in one sitting then? Furthermore, what do you think happens over the course of time?

if you're eating in a caloric deficit, fat oxidation exceeds fat storage and you lose bodyfat EVEN IF YOU OVEREAT SHORT TERM.

No offense sir, but common sense and reality are not the same in the nutrition game. So far, everything you've claimed has been either false or ambiguous.

haha usually when people say "no offense" they really mean, to offend you..

If you really want to get in a debate, PM me and we can chat. You may teach me a thing or two.

Soooooo "with all do respect" from looking at your physique, I can tell that you don't eat all of your calories in one sitting, so why are you debating this?
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    haha usually when people say "no offense" they really mean, to offend you..

If you really want to get in a debate, PM me and we can chat. You may teach me a thing or two.

Soooooo "with all do respect" from looking at your physique, I can tell you that you don't eat all of your calories in one sitting, so why are you evening debating this?

I don't want to take this to PM's because other people can learn from this debate, and taking it to private discussion robs others of that opportunity.

I eat most of my calories in one to two sittings when I am cutting. When I cut from 190 down to 177 and pushing single digit bodyfat%, I was eating two meals and fasting for about 16 hours. (I am bulking now and my current avi is obviously not single digits)

I am not arguing with you for the sake of belittling you, to be clear. Your information, while it makes sense, is outdated and incorrect.

You can find updated nutritional info regarding meal timing and other more modern concepts here:

www.leangains.com
    www.alanaragon.com
    www.bodyrecomposition.com
    www.body-improvements.com

Not all of the above sites advocate things like intermittent fasting, but all of the above sites have CURRENT information and I am willing to bet that, within reason, the above sources would agree that individual meal sizes are nearly, if not completely, irrelevant pertaining to body composition.

Meal size, portion control/etc, are relevant in their contribution to total daily intake , but total daily intake is KING , by a LONGSHOT when it comes to progress.

How those totals are split up in terms of individual meals, outside of medical conditions, will be entirely personal preference and performance based. (I'm rambling here but to be clear, I'm saying there's no physiological concerns about eating all your calories at once. There MAY be behavioral issues or personal preference reasons not to do it).

I am claiming that you can literally focus on total daily intake (of calories and macronutrients), and barring any performance issues or medical conditions, you will make remarkable progress, regardless of how you partition your meals.