Food Diary ... less is NOT more.

Options

Replies

• vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
    I still eat fast food and processed food, sometimes I only eat 2-3 meals a day... there are days that I don't fit in a workout... yet somehow I'm still making progress.

It's nice that you found something that works for you, but maybe it's better to keep your focus on what's working for YOU and not what bothers you about what might or might not be working for others.

^What she said.^

But I get it, man. It sucks to see so much self hatred over a totally fixable problem, and no real move to change things. I just want to smack some sense into people sometimes! Jeebus... It may only be 300 calories, but it's a god damn cookie. Prioritize!
    I just love to see people get healthy. Do me a favor and take care of yourself, am I right?
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It is not necessary to eat super "healthy" foods all the time to lose weight. Neither is it necessary to eat 5 meals a day. I eat 2 meals a day and have done so for about 6+ months now and I'm losing just fine. I do eat "healthy" and fresh 75 percent of the time, but the times I didn't during the past year, I was still losing steadily. Was I as full as I am since I started eating a higher protein, fresher food diet? Um, no, but I still lost weight regardless. After 4 pages, I'm sure people have told you this, but it's all about calories, not "healthy" food, if you want to lose weight.....for the average person.
  • BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    haha usually when people say "no offense" they really mean, to offend you..

If you really want to get in a debate, PM me and we can chat. You may teach me a thing or two.

Soooooo "with all do respect" from looking at your physique, I can tell you that you don't eat all of your calories in one sitting, so why are you evening debating this?

I don't want to take this to PM's because other people can learn from this debate, and taking it to private discussion robs others of that opportunity.

I eat most of my calories in one to two sittings when I am cutting. When I cut from 190 down to 177 and pushing single digit bodyfat%, I was eating two meals and fasting for about 16 hours. (I am bulking now and my current avi is obviously not single digits)

I am not arguing with you for the sake of belittling you, to be clear. Your information, while it makes sense, is outdated and incorrect.

You can find updated nutritional info regarding meal timing and other more modern concepts here:

www.leangains.com
    www.alanaragon.com
    www.bodyrecomposition.com
    www.body-improvements.com

Not all of the above sites advocate things like intermittent fasting, but all of the above sites have CURRENT information and I am willing to bet that, within reason, the above sources would agree that individual meal sizes are nearly, if not completely, irrelevant pertaining to body composition.

Meal size, portion control/etc, are relevant in their contribution to total daily intake , but total daily intake is KING , by a LONGSHOT when it comes to progress.

How those totals are split up in terms of individual meals, outside of medical conditions, will be entirely personal preference and performance based. (I'm rambling here but to be clear, I'm saying there's no physiological concerns about eating all your calories at once. There MAY be behavioral issues or personal preference reasons not to do it).

I am claiming that you can literally focus on total daily intake (of calories and macronutrients), and barring any performance issues or medical conditions, you will make remarkable progress, regardless of how you partition your meals.

Outdated and Incorrect. Go back about 20-30 years ago and review the obesity statistics in America. Now view today's statistics "My information" may be outdated, but incorrect?!? I think not.

Again, we can go back and forth all day about who's right and/or wrong, but I would never tell someone that if they eat 95% of their calories in one meal, they will not only lose weight but also live a healthy lifestyle by doing so.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Er... meal timing and number of meals per day doesn't matter...
    And with respect to weight loss, the quality of food doesn't matter either. You can lose weight eating Twinkies. It's all about calories.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Outdated and Incorrect. Go back about 20-30 years ago and review the obesity statistics in America. Now view today's statistics "My information" may be outdated, but incorrect?!? I think not.

Then do you have anything that states that individual meal sizes are relevant?
    Again, we can go back and forth all day about who's right and/or wrong

Do you have anything to back your point up with? If I provide you with peer reviewed studies that support the idea that meal frequencies don't effect metabolism and/or fat gain, would you change your position on this?

I do not have to be right and I'll gladly stop my end of this if you would like, but as it stands now, I am presenting you with good resources that have strong evidence to suggest that you are incorrect.

If you have anything to support your side of this, I'm happy to view it and given enough information to suggest that I'm incorrect, I'll even change my position on this, but as of now, you are just saying that I am wrong.
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Bump. I :heart: a controversial thread. Gets me through the workday.

I had no blazing idea that I was going to stir this much controversy ... however, the more I read, the more I amused !!
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Knew I should have logged that corn dog as "quick add calories" instead :grumble:
  • redshoeshelley
    Options
    Do you have children?
    Yes, 2 children as a matter of fact .
  • BlackRangerX
    Options
    And with respect to weight loss, the quality of food doesn't matter either. You can lose weight eating Twinkies. It's all about calories.

@Sidesteal.. When you tell someone that they can eat 1,150 calories out of 1200 calories in one meal, they will go out and eat 1,150 calories in twinkies. All about a calorie deficit my *kitten*.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    Geez, I'm so tired of all these rants about what other people are doing and not doing. Unless you have a degree in nutrition and exercise, I'm not trying to hear what you have to say. Let people eat and exercise how they want to. How does it hurt you, if someone else isn't eating enough/working out enough IF you are? Worry about yourself and your weight loss and Lead by your ACTIONS NOT YOUR RANTS.
    Thank you!
    exactly... =P if eating 20 small meals a day works for you keep doing it... dont worry about what others are doing.. I eat twice a day, sometimes 3 and it works for me... will it slow down my metabolism? maybe, but as far as I can tell, im doing really good.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    @Sidesteal.. When you tell someone that they can eat 1,150 calories out of 1200 calories in one meal, they will go out and eat 1,150 calories in twinkies. All about a calorie deficit my *kitten*.

Now we're talking about food quality which is an entirely different subject. I am strictly talking about your claim that it's bad to eat large and infrequent meals. If you want to discuss food quality I'm happy to go there as well, but it's a different discussion.

Also, I don't get why you're claiming what you are claiming. Wouldn't the same person, if told "Go eat your 1200 calories in 3 meals", go and eat a bunch of twinkies anyways? Why would telling them they can eat one big meal instead of smaller ones, effect what they choose to eat?
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hey, do what ever works for ya...
    having been 600 pounds.... and insulin dependant... i had to eat regular meals to keep sugars level for the day. now that i am no longer on insulin n my sugars are normal... i usually have to plan n spread my meals out so my hunger doesnt spike....so balancing my protein/ food though the day helps me.... everyones different.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    having been 600 pounds.... and insulin dependant... i had to eat regular meals to keep sugars level for the day. now that i am no longer on insulin n my sugars are normal... i usually have to plan n spread my meals out so my hunger doesnt spike....so balancing my protein/ food though the day helps me.... everyones different.

^ Congrats on your loss! That's awesome work!
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options

I highly doubt many people would go out and eat 1150 calories worth of Twinkies. Yes, they could still lose weight, but they'd lose lean muscle and would probably feel like crap. I was just making a point that, in terms of weight loss ONLY, the quality of food doesn't matter. It's not a smart idea to just eat Twinkies, sheesh.
  • redshoeshelley
    Options

What an inspiration you are!!! Congratulations on a job well done :bigsmile:
  • BlackRangerX
    Options

I highly doubt many people would go out and eat 1150 calories worth of Twinkies. Yes, they could still lose weight, but they'd lose lean muscle and would probably feel like crap. I was just making a point that, in terms of weight loss ONLY, the quality of food doesn't matter. It's not a smart idea to just eat Twinkies, sheesh.

Sorry, no offense. I was merely using your comment as an example. :flowerforyou:
  • BlackRangerX
    Options

WOW, just went through your pics, amazing.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    oh-look-its-this-thread-again.jpg
  • redshoeshelley
    Options
    And, this is EXACTLY why I keep my diary private..

Shame on you..

Shame on me? Oh please ... food diaries are made public for a reason.
    Go ahead, criticise mine.
    That's precisely what I'm here for ... support and constructive criticism.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the grumbling I read from people who are frustrated with their weight loss journey ... I am amazed at the public food diaries I see. I don't understand how my MFP peeps expect to lose weight cramming all their calories in one, maybe two meals. Eating processed crap and frozen meals is okay once in awhile but geez, all the time?

I eat 5 times a day and "try" to make wise choices throughout the day which ultimately lets me eat that much more food. And more wholesome food ... food full of flavour !! It pisses me off to no end when I blow 240 calories on 2 slices of rye bread for pete's sake. I hate it when my Tim Hortons tea costs me 150 calories but there are days when I make the sacrifice. It's not about eliminating the things I love. It's about making better choices. I try and find better alternatives of my favorites by tweaking recipes for healthy options. I still treat myself but know that treating myself means not making a habit out of it ... habits like those turn into bad eating behaviors !

It drives me crazy to hear people say they don't have time to exercise or prepare fresh foods. Seriously people? Do you know how many hours there are in a day? Trade one sedentary activity for an activity of some sort ... trade that sedentary activity in and take care of your body! Mentally AND physically you'll feel better.

I feel better eating better and although the scale may have gone on strike, I am seeing a big difference in my clothes and how I feel. I log everything I eat, even the days I've eaten deep fried dill pickles. It holds me accountable.
    Headaches have subsided, I sleep better, my energy levels are up and I no longer feel lethargic. My workouts are powered better (physically and mentally) and I genuinely feel better knowing I'm taking better care of myself.

If your weight loss journey doesn't challenge you, how does it change you?

..just remember .. those are the people that in a month or 2 will be crying about it not working or they have fallen off the diet wagon they are on. You will still be on the steady road to a healthier you!