Food Diary ... less is NOT more.

Options

Replies

• BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the public food diaries I see. I don't understand how my MFP peeps expect to lose weight cramming all their calories in one, maybe two meals.

I'm not so sure it really matters when you eat your calories. There are some days I eat half of mine in one meal, but hasn't hindered me in the slightest. The body doesn't care if you eat three meals, two or seven.

I think it is better for your metabolism, to eat regularly. I have 3 meals, plus 2/3 snacks at regular intervals.

You know that's a myth, right? Having more frequent meals/snacks does **** all for your metabolism.

Why do people still believe this? Seriously.

Look at it this way; You have (Subject A) who is eating 3-5 normal size meals a day and (Subject B) who is eating 1 big stupid *kitten* meal once a day. Subject A metabolism will burn as much carbs as it can and store the rest as fat. Subject B, dumb *kitten*, metabolism will burn as much carbs as it can and store the rest as fat as well. Subject A only has 35g of carbs to burn. Subject B, stupid *kitten*, has 196g of carbs to burn. Which subject do you think will have the most carbs left over to be stored as fat? Please don't out smart your common sense.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the public food diaries I see. I don't understand how my MFP peeps expect to lose weight cramming all their calories in one, maybe two meals.

I'm not so sure it really matters when you eat your calories. There are some days I eat half of mine in one meal, but hasn't hindered me in the slightest. The body doesn't care if you eat three meals, two or seven.

I think it is better for your metabolism, to eat regularly. I have 3 meals, plus 2/3 snacks at regular intervals.

You know that's a myth, right? Having more frequent meals/snacks does **** all for your metabolism.

Look at it this way; You have (Subject A) who is eating 3-5 normal size meals a day and (Subject B) who is eating 1 big stupid *kitten* meal once a day. Subject A metabolism will burn as much carbs as it can and store the rest as fat. Subject B, dumb *kitten*, metabolism will burn as much carbs as it can and store the rest as fat as well. Subject A only has 35g of carbs to burn. Subject B, stupid *kitten*, has 196g of carbs to burn. Which subject do you think will have the most carbs left over to be stored as fat? Please don't out smart your common sense.

I have no idea where your logic is coming from, but it lacks common sense.
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you for this ... common sense prevails again.
    I am not rude and condescending. I am not trying to be judgemental of anyone. I am not perched upon a high horse and don't expect people to conform to what I'm trying to do.
    Hey ... if the fast food diet works for someone ... all the power to them, I just know that personally I would feel like a can of smashed *kitten* if I ate like that in an attempt to take care of my body.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options

There's no science backing to this. Two years of both basic Anatomy & Physiology and Microbiology classes have taught me this. Your body doesn't automatically reset every 24 hours, and body processes balance it out in such a short amount of time, anyway.
  • midnightryder
    Options
    What each of you have said about eating times is true. It is a numbers game upfront, Taken in minus taken out equals (hopefully) a calorie deficit. It takes 3500 calories burned to burn up one pound of fat. On the under side of all that, however, is the fact that our bodies process nutrients in one way only. As blackranger said, our bodies process the max nutrients that it can process and store the rest as fat. For example, our bodies are only able to effectively process about 20G of protein per sitting. As we exercise, our bodies pull fuel from two different sources, fat and carbs. The proteins are the building blocks used to repair damaged tissue which is kind of the point of effective weight training, to break down muscle tissue only to build it back up again when at rest. So bottom line is, eat whatever way you like and yes you may still lose weight but not body fat. Your body fat may stay the same or even increase. Medically, a higher bady fat percentage puts one at risk for more health problems regardless of the weight. Let us all remember, it is mass we should be concerned about, not weight. After all, if we were all on the moon we would weigh one sixth of what we weigh here on Earth.
  • BlackRangerX
    Options

There's no science backing to this. Two years of both basic Anatomy & Physiology and Microbiology classes have taught me this. Your body doesn't automatically reset every 24 hours, and body processes balance it out in such a short amount of time, anyway.

It's called BroScience...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    It's not healthy to eat all of your calories in one sitting. You will have an extremely high fat percentage, and your metabolism will pretty much be shot. BUT, you can still lose weight by doing it. Some people are not here to get healthier, lower body fat %, etc. They are simply here to lose weight.

There is zero evidence for your assertion that this is the case. Every clinical study done shows that meal frequency has nothing, nothing at all to do with metabolism or fat loss. Some of the most lean people I know here do intermittent fasting, they eat all their calories in an 8 hour or less window of time. Five meals a day works for some people because mentally it helps them. Just as true, it does not work for other, myself included. I ate 5-6 small meals a day, and yes, I lost weight, but I always had to fight against the desire to eat a bigger meal. These meals were veggies, bean, lean meat, and all the right stuff. Then I discovered all the research, and there is a lot, that showed I don't HAVE to eat 5-6 meals a day. It makes not difference at all to metabolism or fat loss. So I went to a pattern that works for me eating between 1-8 and doing so in 2-3 large meals. Now I still lose the fat, and I am much more likely to continue to comply to the caloric restrictions that I need to so I lose the fat. Basically, unless you are willing to read the actual research out their in peer reviewed journals, don't make absolute assertions. If you don't want to wade through the peer reviewed journals, at least take the time to read those who bring them together like you can find a leangains.com and other sites who actually use the latest research to put together their articles, and they will actually cite studies, unlike those who give much advice on the internet or in magazines.
  • redshoeshelley
    Options
    What each of you have said about eating times is true. It is a numbers game upfront, Taken in minus taken out equals (hopefully) a calorie deficit. It takes 3500 calories burned to burn up one pound of fat. On the under side of all that, however, is the fact that our bodies process nutrients in one way only. As blackranger said, our bodies process the max nutrients that it can process and store the rest as fat. For example, our bodies are only able to effectively process about 20G of protein per sitting. As we exercise, our bodies pull fuel from two different sources, fat and carbs. The proteins are the building blocks used to repair damaged tissue which is kind of the point of effective weight training, to break down muscle tissue only to build it back up again when at rest. So bottom line is, eat whatever way you like and yes you may still lose weight but not body fat. Your body fat may stay the same or even increase. Medically, a higher bady fat percentage puts one at risk for more health problems regardless of the weight. Let us all remember, it is mass we should be concerned about, not weight. After all, if we were all on the moon we would weigh one sixth of what we weigh here on Earth.
    Fantastic information, thank you for clarifying !
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options

I am not rude and condescending. I am not trying to be judgemental of anyone. I am not perched upon a high horse and don't expect people to conform to what I'm trying to do.
    Hey ... if the fast food diet works for someone ... all the power to them, I just know that personally I would feel like a can of smashed *kitten* if I ate like that in an attempt to take care of my body.
    The type of people that are doing what you call a fast food diet are people that obviously don't yet know how to eat healthy. And for them, eating one stupid meal a day is helping them focus on cutting back. It's a LOT healthier than what they Normally do. So cut them some slack, and let them focus on trying. Most people have to try manymany times before they really learn how to lose weight long-term. We are all still learning.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    As blackranger said, our bodies process the max nutrients that it can process and store the rest as fat. For example, our bodies are only able to effectively process about 20G of protein per sitting.

First of all, this is what the body does whether you eat many small meals or one big one. Rarely do you have a need for all the nutrients in a meal, and the extras get stored in various ways such as carbs as glycogen in muscles and liver and as fat. Protein and fat the same say.

As to the 20grams of protein in one sitting, this is yet another myth. The key give away on that, without doing the work of wading through the clinical research, is that the numbers cited of the amount of protein that can be absorbed in one sitting constantly vary between 20 (although I have seen some say as little as 15) and 30 grams of protein a sitting. That is simply not true. In fact, a larger meal simply takes longer to digest than a smaller one, so where those nutrients would be finished absorbing in a short time from a small meal, that is not the case with a larger one.
  • redshoeshelley
    Options
    ahahahahaha I love when everyone decides to bash the OP. Makes for good entertainment at work.

Glad I could amuse you today :wink:
    I didn't realize this was going to turn into a public lashing for voicing my opinion (as everyone else so freely does!)
    LMAO
  • midnightryder
    Options
    Dear Riley,
    Please note the words effectively and about. Thank you sir. I am not saying that you are wrong but I too am unwilling to admit defeat.
  • BlackRangerX
    Options
    It's not healthy to eat all of your calories in one sitting. You will have an extremely high fat percentage, and your metabolism will pretty much be shot. BUT, you can still lose weight by doing it. Some people are not here to get healthier, lower body fat %, etc. They are simply here to lose weight.

There is zero evidence for your assertion that this is the case. Every clinical study done shows that meal frequency has nothing, nothing at all to do with metabolism or fat loss. Some of the most lean people I know here do intermittent fasting, they eat all their calories in an 8 hour or less window of time. Five meals a day works for some people because mentally it helps them. Just as true, it does not work for other, myself included. I ate 5-6 small meals a day, and yes, I lost weight, but I always had to fight against the desire to eat a bigger meal. These meals were veggies, bean, lean meat, and all the right stuff. Then I discovered all the research, and there is a lot, that showed I don't HAVE to eat 5-6 meals a day. It makes not difference at all to metabolism or fat loss. So I went to a pattern that works for me eating between 1-8 and doing so in 2-3 large meals. Now I still lose the fat, and I am much more likely to continue to comply to the caloric restrictions that I need to so I lose the fat. Basically, unless you are willing to read the actual research out their in peer reviewed journals, don't make absolute assertions. If you don't want to wade through the peer reviewed journals, at least take the time to read those who bring them together like you can find a leangains.com and other sites who actually use the latest research to put together their articles, and they will actually cite studies, unlike those who give much advice on the internet or in magazines.

Hi buddy, you go ahead and continue to eat your high calorie meals in one sitting. Good luck with that.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually you are being rather condescending and rude.
    You're looking through random diaries and judging them on the way they're eating without nothing them or their situation. And then you start a forum topic about it.
    And your little edit to every post you make to say "common sense prevails again" is snarky.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Geez, I'm so tired of all these rants about what other people are doing and not doing. Unless you have a degree in nutrition and exercise, I'm not trying to hear what you have to say. Let people eat and exercise how they want to. How does it hurt you, if someone else isn't eating enough/working out enough IF you are? Worry about yourself and your weight loss and Lead by your ACTIONS NOT YOUR RANTS.
    Thank you!

^THIS^.
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    Geez, I'm so tired of all these rants about what other people are doing and not doing. Unless you have a degree in nutrition and exercise, I'm not trying to hear what you have to say. Let people eat and exercise how they want to. How does it hurt you, if someone else isn't eating enough/working out enough IF you are? Worry about yourself and your weight loss and Lead by your ACTIONS NOT YOUR RANTS.
    Thank you!

This^^^^^^!!!!!!!
  • redshoeshelley
    Options
    Did anyone happen to notice this statement at the bottom of this page?

"Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."

I re-read my post and don't find it horrific ... it's unfortunate that others took it as a personal attack.

However ... that being said, my apologies ... must have eaten two scoops of grumpy in my bowl full of b*tchies this morning. Evidently, no one else should be allowed the freedom to rant either.

That is all.
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    Of course you have freedom to post what you want. You just have to deal with the consequences of it. The thing is, your post was being kind of mean. It kind of isn't your place to pass judgement the way you were. But by making an entire post about it, you invited other peoples' opinions.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Of course you have freedom to post what you want. You just have to deal with the consequences of it. The thing is, your post was being kind of mean. It kind of isn't your place to pass judgement the way you were. But by making an entire post about it, you invited other peoples' opinions.

True story bro. :laugh:
  • rileysowner
    Options

Hi buddy, you go ahead and continue to eat your high calorie meals in one sitting. Good luck with that.

I will, and no luck is needed.