Food Diary ... less is NOT more.

Options

Replies

• funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Could you please make your diary public so we can all rip it apart?

Bingo!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    i tend to eat the bulk of my calories between 7pm and 8pm. then hubby and i go to the gym around 10pm. and i usually don't eat a thing at all before 2 or 3pm. why do i do this? because my major problem that caused me to GAIN weight was stuffing my face mindlessly at night when unwinding before bed. i even edited my diary to be in 2 hour blocks from 2pm to 10pm (with an 'other' category if i slip and eat before or after those times).

i eat a big meal (usually 1/2 of my calories for the day, sometimes more) in the evening -almost always including a large salad- and reserve about 200 calories for a small snack (typically yogurt) after my workout. it has helped me to avoid the one thing that caused me to gain the majority of the weight in the first place - the late night snacking.

lastly, i like being full, i can't sleep if my stomach is rumbling. it's much easier for me to deal with hunger pangs in the early afternoon instead of late at night. bottom line? it's my food, and my calories. i'll eat when i want.

Exactly. You figured out what works for you, you stick to your calorie goal and more importantly you seem happy with the current situation.

Bottom line to OP - do what works for you and let others do what works for them and don't buy into myths about meal frequency.
  • BuddhaBelly79
    Options
    :indifferent: .......... I have read through every single one of these posts and thank GOD I finally have the SOLID answer to the perfect weight loss: Eat healthy, 24 times a day. Eat strictly junk, once a day. Exercise 3 times a day while eating a big mac, BUT only exercise ONCE a day if you're eating spinach - of course we have to recalculate everything if you opt for Salad and French fries...your body WILL burn the calories and they also will not burn the calories and it doesn't matter when or how often you eat, because it totally DOES matter how often you eat. You cannot eat UNCLEAN foods, because you CAN eat unclean foods - you will still lose weight while rapidly gaining weight.

:noway: :laugh: ---- In other words....I am officially corn-fused, and at this point I am just here hoping to be able to look in the mirror soon...I dont give a TERD if I get there eating *kitten* or icecubes. I dont really care what anyone thinks of my diary, or my food, or my frequency of eating, exercising, and taking dumps. LOL. I could seriously give 2 F**KS about ANY opinion LOL.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: .......... I have read through every single one of these posts and thank GOD I finally have the SOLID answer to the perfect weight loss: Eat healthy, 24 times a day. Eat strictly junk, once a day. Exercise 3 times a day while eating a big mac, BUT only exercise ONCE a day if you're eating spinach - of course we have to recalculate everything if you opt for Salad and French fries...your body WILL burn the calories and they also will not burn the calories and it doesn't matter when or how often you eat, because it totally DOES matter how often you eat. You cannot eat UNCLEAN foods, because you CAN eat unclean foods - you will still lose weight while rapidly gaining weight.

:noway: :laugh: ---- In other words....I am officially corn-fused, and at this point I am just here hoping to be able to look in the mirror soon...I dont give a TERD if I get there eating *kitten* or icecubes. I dont really care what anyone thinks of my diary, or my food, or my frequency of eating, exercising, and taking dumps. LOL. I could seriously give 2 F**KS about ANY opinion LOL.

The "secret" to losing weight is, eat less than you burn, and do whatever helps you keep at that. For some it is 6 meals a day, for others 3, for others 2 or some other number. As for food choices, again, whatever will keep you at it. Frankly, the foods considered "healthy" generally give one more bang for their buck. I can eat a huge amount of veggies to get to the same number of calories as a Big Mac, but at times I need a Big Mac to stay satisfied. I fit it in my calories, and it keeps me able to stick with eating less than I burn. For some it is the opposite, if they have that chocolate bar or burger it triggers a binge which does not keep them adhering to eating less than they burn so they have a moderate calorie deficit.

The argument here is people saying "You must eat 5 meals a day" or "You must not eat this of that food." simply because that is what everyone says.

The key is what will allow long term compliance to a moderate calorie deficit, pure and simple. For me that is 2-3 meals a day in an 6-8 hour eating window starting about 12:30PM and going to about 8:30PM. For others that is eating first thing in the morning and every 3 or so hours in a bunch of small meals. For others it would be something else. The meal timing or pattern is not what causes the weight loss, it is the calorie deficit. The meal timing or pattern only becomes important in terms of individual preference.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

Don't be confused! It's a lot more simple than it is made out to be. Eat fewer calories than you consume. That is pretty much the sum of it :)
  • Alyshia90
    Alyshia90 Posts: 25
    Options
    some people dont have the time no!!!! when working 13 hour days and 14 hour nightshifts without breaks!!!!!!!!!!! Just because you have time doesnt mean everone else has
  • BuddhaBelly79
    Options

Don't be confused! It's a lot more simple than it is made out to be. Eat fewer calories than you consume. That is pretty much the sum of it :)

Yeppers...Luckily that is kind of what I have been doing. I started this in January and so far I am down 26 pounds - that is just by sticking to my allowed calories. I have eaten several times a day, or just once a day...I have eaten fresh home cooked foods, and McDonalds...LOL....And basically, like you said, it really hasn't been uber complicated. Thank goodness lol!! :wink: :laugh:
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Did anyone happen to notice this statement at the bottom of this page?

"Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."

I re-read my post and don't find it horrific ... it's unfortunate that others took it as a personal attack.

However ... that being said, my apologies ... must have eaten two scoops of grumpy in my bowl full of b*tchies this morning. Evidently, no one else should be allowed the freedom to rant either.

That is all.

It's funny cause you can't see how much of a ***** you really are.

Now THAT was rude. Goodnight everyone :drinker:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Although I comlety agree with you on eating good, I just want to say I lost 32 pounds eating fast food, and eating up to 1700 in one meal, so yes it can be done, but no you wont feel better after it and yes it probably will set you up to gain back, but you can loose on crap food, but if you want a life change and be healthy then eating clean is the BEST way

The opposite can also be true. A couple of years ago I switched to a completely clean diet and lasted only a few months before I binged and my weight rebounded. I now practice IIFYM and have been far more successful at sustaining that. It truly is a matter of personal preference.

+1
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I only eat 1-2 meals a day because I do IF, and I've lost 62 pounds. Losing weight is about creating a calorie deficit, not about when you take in those calories . . .
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing I've learned in my weight loss journey, is that I'm doing this for ME. I'm not loosing weight for anyone else. I'm not going to change my habits for anyone else. That's the only way I'm going to lose weight and keep it that way. Because the way I'm doing things is making me happy and healthier. I'm not here to hypocritically judge others (because let's face it, we are all here for the same reason) and if I can motivate or pat someone on the back when I can, then so be it. The way other people do things, if you don't think they are working, they will figure it out. That's the only way they will ever make the lifestyle change they need. People have to learn to fall down on their own... you know the saying. We ALL know that negativity will get no where or change anyone's mind. People will shut you out and won't feel the good place you are coming from if they feel at all attacked or judged.

Has anyone ever tried to tell a morbidly obese/anorexic person that they are looking unhealthy and they go "Oh, ok. I'll get right on that. Thanks for the heads up!" No. Everyone can get on their case, beg them, plead with them but in the end, nothing changes until they want it for themselves. That's how we all got here. If people truly want the answers to their questions, they will find out on their own and stick with it because that's what THEY want.

So if you look at a person's diary and it's not what you like to see, move on. If someone asks you how they can change, you can give your time and tell them how you would do it. If they choose not to listen, move on. Don't invest so much of yourself that you let it get to you. :-)
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If I eat more frequently I want more food, if I eat less frequently I am pretty much safe to say that my appetite is regulated very well.

I eat my 2000 split up into two meals and have had great success with it!
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I still eat fast food and processed food, sometimes I only eat 2-3 meals a day... there are days that I don't fit in a workout... yet somehow I'm still making progress.

It's nice that you found something that works for you, but maybe it's better to keep your focus on what's working for YOU and not what bothers you about what might or might not be working for others.

totally agree with this young ladys comment
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Geez! Lighten up, everyone! I get that some diets make you edgy, but you're not teenagers any more! Everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion and maybe if you calmed down a little bit and used arguments, not shouting, you'd feel a lot better!
  • MrsNunny
    MrsNunny Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the grumbling I read from people who are frustrated with their weight loss journey ... I am amazed at the public food diaries I see. I don't understand how my MFP peeps expect to lose weight cramming all their calories in one, maybe two meals. Eating processed crap and frozen meals is okay once in awhile but geez, all the time?

I eat 5 times a day and "try" to make wise choices throughout the day which ultimately lets me eat that much more food. And more wholesome food ... food full of flavour !! It pisses me off to no end when I blow 240 calories on 2 slices of rye bread for pete's sake. I hate it when my Tim Hortons tea costs me 150 calories but there are days when I make the sacrifice. It's not about eliminating the things I love. It's about making better choices. I try and find better alternatives of my favorites by tweaking recipes for healthy options. I still treat myself but know that treating myself means not making a habit out of it ... habits like those turn into bad eating behaviors !

It drives me crazy to hear people say they don't have time to exercise or prepare fresh foods. Seriously people? Do you know how many hours there are in a day? Trade one sedentary activity for an activity of some sort ... trade that sedentary activity in and take care of your body! Mentally AND physically you'll feel better.

I feel better eating better and although the scale may have gone on strike, I am seeing a big difference in my clothes and how I feel. I log everything I eat, even the days I've eaten deep fried dill pickles. It holds me accountable.
    Headaches have subsided, I sleep better, my energy levels are up and I no longer feel lethargic. My workouts are powered better (physically and mentally) and I genuinely feel better knowing I'm taking better care of myself.

If your weight loss journey doesn't challenge you, how does it change you?

Well said!!
  • CaitlinFrost
    Options

If your weight loss journey doesn't challenge you, how does it change you?

^^^
    That, is the best quote I've heard in ages!
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You DON'T have to eat 5 times a day to lose weight, if that is what works for you fine, but if I would eat 5 times a day I would put on so much weight and always feel bloated!

Also, about timing and people preparing fresh meals - what is so hard to get? A lot of people have busy lifestyles and preparing food and cooking does take a lot of time, believe it or not. Hence, that's why they often don't find time to workout and what's got them here in the first place! So, no, I don't agree when you say people are "MOANING"!
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's nice that you found something that works for you, but maybe it's better to keep your focus on what's working for YOU and not what bothers you about what might or might not be working for others.
    [/quote]

Well said, Miss!
  • Anet47
    Anet47 Posts: 24
    Options
    Geez, I'm so tired of all these rants about what other people are doing and not doing. Unless you have a degree in nutrition and exercise, I'm not trying to hear what you have to say. Let people eat and exercise how they want to. How does it hurt you, if someone else isn't eating enough/working out enough IF you are? Worry about yourself and your weight loss and Lead by your ACTIONS NOT YOUR RANTS.
    Thank you!

I cheerfully admit that I am someone who cooks almost everything from scratch, and eats local, mostly organic, whenever possible. But I also have a mad passion for sugar. I absolutely agree with XAfricanQueen (above): It is an obnoxious modern habit to look for specks in others' eyes, while ignoring the planks in our own. Yes, I would love to see EVERYONE learn to cook and eat healthily. But the reality is that many people are working insane hours, or have depression, or live in places with limited food choices, or...You get the idea. I understand the passion and the concern, but berating everyone does nothing to change minds.
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sorry that this is not really on topic, BUT I HAVE to ask:
    I hate it when my Tim Hortons tea costs me 150 calories

What on earth do put in your tea? I drink Timmy's all the time, and my tea only cost me 15 cals.

Some days I need my two milk, two sugars ... I know, not the greatest choice :wink: