Dr. Pepper 10

Options

Replies

• QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I know of one about 30 miles away... do i need to start mailing orders? lol

Depends on whether or not you're charging shipping!
  • Crimson_
    Crimson_ Posts: 60
    Options
    Damn it! I'll inform the mayor

We have a mayor now?

oh you didnt know?!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman who isn't offended by this? I just thought it was a joke...or am I not reading far enough into it?

It's a joke. So is every commercial that has some product and the woman teasingly says it's "not for boys." Both use a stereotyped characteristic of each gender. Dr Pepper 10 uses the macho manly-man, the others use a teasing vixen or a "cutesy" typed female who giggles and bats her lashes. We could also throw in commercials advertising kid products that do the same thing but eh.

Seriously, there's nothing to be offended by. The only place I've seen "not for women" is on the commercial. The product itself doesn't say it. I imagine their goal was to have a light-hearted laugh about gender stereotyping as far as the whole action movie thing went then the tease of "you can't have it because you're female, this is a man's drink." We classify alcoholic beverages by gender and no one seems up in arms about that. Long story short it's meant to be stupid and I'm pretty sure the people that came up with it thought it would be a funny challenge that might boost its sales from women buying it to (hopefully not seriously) spite the commercial.

Come on guys, it's a commercial for a soda. It's not propaganda.

I hate when people talk about women's drinks when it comes to alcohol. I have never been able to stand beer or wine, so somehow that impacts my "manliness"?
  • QueenJayJay
    Options

I hate when people talk about women's drinks when it comes to alcohol. I have never been able to stand beer or wine, so somehow that impacts my "manliness"?

It doesn't. That's a load of crock.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I love it. It's the only diet soda I drink (when i drink soda). I thought the commercial was kinda funny and never really thought anything of it, except that I love regular dr. pepper so I will have to try it.
  • JBApplebee
    Options

It doesn't. That's a load of crock.

I know. Last year I was at a party with some friends & this guy wouldn't let it go. I warned him & even went to a different part of the house, but followed me, running his mouth, so finally I popped him in the mouth & let him know about it when he tucked his tail between his legs & left. It just irritates me to no end when people do this.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Its a commercial there are bigger problems in the world
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I like DP 10 I think it taste great, so does my boyfriend. I hate the commercials, but I cant help that their marketing department got dropped on their heads as babies, can I?
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

but if stop worrying about the little stuff, then we have to start dealing with the big issues. and that's a drag.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I would have to buy the "if it fits - it ships" boxes... or I could just buy one and send then cans individually. haha.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options

Maybe MFP should make a forum category for that. This, however, is "chit-chat, fun, and games."
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I don't get why the marketers thought that men don't drink diet pop. I work as a waitress and plenty of men drink diet pop. It's not girly by any means!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of the "Yorkie" chocolate bar, it's tagline is "It's not for girls" even thought they had it in a pink wrapper! I still ate it :tongue: nestleyorkiepinkwrapper.jpg
  • JBApplebee
    Options
    Ever heard of the "Yorkie" chocolate bar, it's tagline is "It's not for girls" even thought they had it in a pink wrapper! I still ate it :tongue: nestleyorkiepinkwrapper.jpg

There's something definitely wrong with that. It's not for women, but the tag line is "Get your lips around this". Sure sounds like it's for a woman to me!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

There's something definitely wrong with that. It's not for women, but the tag line is "Get your lips around this". Sure sounds like it's for a woman to me!

They tried to make it as feminine as possible whilst saying it's not for girls.
  • d4rkn3ss06
    Options
    It's supposed to be sarcastic -__- hense the over exagerations! it's funny and in no way offends me. Why would it? if i want to buy the soda i will and it doesn't matter what the comercial says. And i love action movies does it offend me because its a stereotype that women dont like action movies no!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    seems to me the entire thing is sarcastic ... or, maybe more accurately, is trying for ironic machismo, like old spice. it didn't work well and the product tastes awful, I hear.

I'm just curious.. Why did you (or your "friend") decide to take a sip (or slug?) of Old Spice?

^^^ FTW ^^^
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    seems to me the entire thing is sarcastic ... or, maybe more accurately, is trying for ironic machismo, like old spice. it didn't work well and the product tastes awful, I hear.

I'm just curious.. Why did you (or your "friend") decide to take a sip (or slug?) of Old Spice?

^^^ FTW ^^^

it was a nice try, no doubt. I'd have to ask the grammar teacher to be sure, but I think the phrasing is accurate.
    :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

You capitalized "I."

yup. I capitalize the important words. examples would be I, Montana, Texas, BBQ, etc.

Alright wow. I understand that you are a journalist and feel the need to use proper grammar. I was a literature major and you don't see me correcting everyone’s forum posts. Let it go!

Apparently you missed the previous pages where it was obvious we were both teasing each other. :flowerforyou:

and all right is two words.
    :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Am I the only woman who isn't offended by this? I just thought it was a joke...or am I not reading far enough into it?

It's a joke. So is every commercial that has some product and the woman teasingly says it's "not for boys." Both use a stereotyped characteristic of each gender. Dr Pepper 10 uses the macho manly-man, the others use a teasing vixen or a "cutesy" typed female who giggles and bats her lashes. We could also throw in commercials advertising kid products that do the same thing but eh.

Seriously, there's nothing to be offended by. The only place I've seen "not for women" is on the commercial. The product itself doesn't say it. I imagine their goal was to have a light-hearted laugh about gender stereotyping as far as the whole action movie thing went then the tease of "you can't have it because you're female, this is a man's drink." We classify alcoholic beverages by gender and no one seems up in arms about that. Long story short it's meant to be stupid and I'm pretty sure the people that came up with it thought it would be a funny challenge that might boost its sales from women buying it to (hopefully not seriously) spite the commercial.

Come on guys, it's a commercial for a soda. It's not propaganda.

Mm, you caught me there. I was speaking from the angle of a woman since nobody seems to get upset or tease them if they have a "manly" drink, in fact lots of guys find it hot. But you're right, guys do catch flack if they have a "girl" drink.