Dr. Pepper 10

Options
123457»

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Love it or hate it, the social media team at dr pepper's ad agency is so loving that we're all talking about this right now.

You're talking about it = win for them
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You know why they do it?

Men will buy it because it's manly.
    Women will buy it in an act of defiance, as if buying it is "showing them".

So overall more of BOTH genders buy it. Ridiculously effective ploy.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think it's ****ing hilarious. It's so smart because women will buy it to be defiant like PLEASE! I can drink it! /hair flip.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking it all this time, and just saw the commercial recently. I'll tell you this- the only thing that bugs me about the commmercial is watching the guy pour it in a glass while he's on a bumpy road- it's spilling all over the place, and that just gets to me! lol must be the "manly" part of it. lol
  • Emabo
    Emabo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure it was a marketing ploy, saying "It's not for women." only makes women go out and buy it ehh? This has probably been said, I skipped over the comments.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I took it that they were making fun of men - not women... It is only 10 calories so that makes it more 'manly'...haha Ya know, because drinking diet drinks is definitely not manly...haha
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Love it or hate it, the social media team at dr pepper's ad agency is so loving that we're all talking about this right now.

I doubt the agency is tracking this conversation unless MFP discussions are Google Indexed. Not sure about that.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    My line of work is in marketing, so I can't resist making a comment.

I understand what Dr. Pepper is trying to do with Dr. Pepper 10. Coke Zero and Pepsi Max have been trying to court a male market. Is there really a male market for reduced calorie carbonated beverages? I'm not entirely sure. I have not seen the research reports. Coca-Cola got to the market first in the US with Coke Zero (http://www.ajc.com/business/coke-zero-becomes-a-615176.html ).

Big CPG companies like Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, PepsiCo, Procter & Gamble and Coca-Cola Company have all the advantages in the world. The resources there are tremendous. Yet still, big companies have had epic marketing failures. Think about Crystal Pepsi, New Coke, Arch Deluxe at McDonald's. The resources and size alone of big companies doesn't guarantee success, but they are better positioned to succeed.

In the marketing communications, Dr. Pepper 10 is really taking a strong segmented approach. Will it work? To an extent, yes. It really depends on what brand's goals are. They'll pick up some market share as they are differentiated from a product standpoint and the communications are unique. But I don't think they can become the #1 player in the niche.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options

I doubt the agency is tracking this conversation unless MFP discussions are Google Indexed. Not sure about that.
    :laugh: Actually all posts are Google Indexed on here, but I doubt Dr Pepper is Googling about it himself. :tongue: