Messing with complete strangers is such fun

Options

Replies

• catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    I would be delighted to run into some of you people. XD

For me, the best would be when I was a cashier at the local farmer's market. There was always this one couple who would come in. They were very nice. Sometimes, the husband would come in alone. When he did, he would always stand about 5 feet from my register and throw all of his groceries to me. "Oh-ho, here come the cherries! *fling* Some celery! *fling*" It was funny the first couple of times, but it started to get really old.

One day, his wife came in alone. We sold these little miniature pies, and she was asking if we had any more of the blueberry crumb, since it was her husband's favorite. As a joke, I told her that her husband was very badly behaved when he came in alone, and that I didn't think he deserved any pie. I told her about the grocery tossing, and she didn't believe me.

I had only been teasing her, but the next day, he came in and apologized to me. I didn't mean to get the poor guy in trouble with his wife, but, hey. if you mess with me, I'm going to get you back. :wink:
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I would be delighted to run into some of you people. XD

For me, the best would be when I was a cashier at the local farmer's market. There was always this one couple who would come in. They were very nice. Sometimes, the husband would come in alone. When he did, he would always stand about 5 feet from my register and throw all of his groceries to me. "Oh-ho, here come the cherries! *fling* Some celery! *fling*" It was funny the first couple of times, but it started to get really old.

One day, his wife came in alone. We sold these little miniature pies, and she was asking if we had any more of the blueberry crumb, since it was her husband's favorite. As a joke, I told her that her husband was very badly behaved when he came in alone, and that I didn't think he deserved any pie. I told her about the grocery tossing, and she didn't believe me.

I had only been teasing her, but the next day, he came in and apologized to me. I didn't mean to get the poor guy in trouble with his wife, but, hey. if you mess with me, I'm going to get you back. :wink:

LOL
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have gotten on to a crowed elevator, let the doors shut and not turn to face the door. make people uncomfortable. Twice I looked at everyone on the elevator and said "I am sure you are wondering why I have called you all here today" .... that has never gone over as well as I would have liked.

I'm sorry, but I'm calling shenanigans, this was going around Twitter a while back.

and now currently on Pinterest so I agree with the shenanigans...if you did it because you saw it there that's a different story....

husband has been doing this for years. He has never been exposed to either Twitter, or Pinterest. Or Facebook.

He just gets on the elevator, keeps his sunglasses on, and faces in. Doesn't speak. He thinks it's hilarious.
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Two just came to mind.

In a grocery line, I told a cashier I wasn't going to pay for the 2 12-packs of sodas under my cart because I was practicing shoplifting, but I am not very good at it. She stared at me for about 10 seconds not knowing how to respond.

At work my coworkers bought me Brokeback Mountain as a secret Santa gift (inside joke). They also gave me the receipt. When i returned it to BestBuy, she asked me if there was anything wrong. I said [lisp]I am waiting for the unrated version to come out GIRL[/lisp] and gave her a little wink. I could actually HEAR how uncomfortable she was.

I know I am not the only one who derives pleasure out of this, right?
    LOL...too funny!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Honestly... when you work customer service people are constantly CONSTANTLY 'messing with you' and it gets really old, really quick.

Especially at the end of a really long shift, when you're really tired, and you're just not getting the stupid asinine joke the customer is trying to make and they're getting more and more obnoxious and all you REALLY want to do is slap them but you have to keep smiling because gosh darn it it's your JOB to be nice, even to people who need a hobby.

Anyway, I guarantee your cute little jokes aren't original and I guarantee your poor cashier has dealt with a million jokers just like you and she is probably pretty tired of being 'messed with'.

*debbie downer now leaves the thread to go work at her till and she really hopes no 'jokers' come in to give her a hard time, especially when she's as tired as she currently is*
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have gotten on to a crowed elevator, let the doors shut and not turn to face the door. make people uncomfortable. Twice I looked at everyone on the elevator and said "I am sure you are wondering why I have called you all here today" .... that has never gone over as well as I would have liked.

I'm sorry, but I'm calling shenanigans, this was going around Twitter a while back.

and now currently on Pinterest so I agree with the shenanigans...if you did it because you saw it there that's a different story....

husband has been doing this for years. He has never been exposed to either Twitter, or Pinterest. Or Facebook.

He just gets on the elevator, keeps his sunglasses on, and faces in. Doesn't speak. He thinks it's hilarious.
    My Dad does this too - it began back in the dark ages before the internet. If it comes from anywhere it is probably war-time radio comedy! (He has been know to address a herd of cows in the same way - they respond just like people.)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Honestly... when you work customer service people are constantly CONSTANTLY 'messing with you' and it gets really old, really quick.

Especially at the end of a really long shift, when you're really tired, and you're just not getting the stupid asinine joke the customer is trying to make and they're getting more and more obnoxious and all you REALLY want to do is slap them but you have to keep smiling because gosh darn it it's your JOB to be nice, even to people who need a hobby.

Anyway, I guarantee your cute little jokes aren't original and I guarantee your poor cashier has dealt with a million jokers just like you and she is probably pretty tired of being 'messed with'.

*debbie downer now leaves the thread to go work at her till and she really hopes no 'jokers' come in to give her a hard time, especially when she's as tired as she currently is*

I totally get this.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a college junior at age 16. Not dumb at all. She just quit her job cashiering, due to all the dumb-@ss customers. You do know that cashiers are told to be polite, don't you? They take a boat-load of crap from people who, I swear, like a passive, easy target who is being paid to be nice to you.

Civility is going to pot with clowns leading the way.

I will follow wherever this clown leads...I am afraid to turn my back on a clown...
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I worked at McDonalds for a while and would just get confused when people tried to mess with me. It was in Santa Monica so there were a lot of weirdos, and I'd always take what people were saying seriously because they usually were. I'd get yelled at all the time but when I was new, the first guy that berated me in front of everyone almost made me cry. He stormed out and the next guy that came up to the register told me with a straight face that I'd been totally unreasonable and he couldn't believe I was still employed. I just couldn't hold it in and started crying. And then he said he was kidding, and I felt stupid. After a few weeks of working there I got a thick skin though. No more tears.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm far too boring and serious to mess with people myself, but I'm strangely fascinated by people who'll do it. I was 'ministry of funny walksed' as a self-conscious teenager and as a teacher I spend a lot of time with my 'Yeah... Right...', I take no BS face on :laugh:

My dad loved winding up telesales people too.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I worked at McDonalds for a while and would just get confused when people tried to mess with me. It was in Santa Monica so there were a lot of weirdos, and I'd always take what people were saying seriously because they usually were. I'd get yelled at all the time but when I was new, the first guy that berated me in front of everyone almost made me cry. He stormed out and the next guy that came up to the register told me with a straight face that I'd been totally unreasonable and he couldn't believe I was still employed. I just couldn't hold it in and started crying. And then he said he was kidding, and I felt stupid. After a few weeks of working there I got a thick skin though. No more tears.

This is a good point too. Often people ARE being serious and you just never know who is a complete nut jub and who is trying to be funny. It's hard to tell and you have to be SO careful because to laugh at the ones who are being serious is not good.
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I usually ask for my orders to go when I go through a drive thru. That's usually the extent of me ****ing around with random strangers. I know I hate being **** ed with and get angry way to quick, so I tend not to do it to others.
  • Elenazuniga
    Options
    My daughter is reading this over my shoulder, and just said all those 'original' jokes you make, she hears 50 times during the day. So, those 'cracked smiles' are forced.

I have a sense of humor. You just aren't funny.

obviously we need to agree to disagree because I am actually quite funny, we just don't share the same sense of humor... I normally DO NOT joke with cashiers because they are all so damn serious...

Well cashiers need to be very focused each time they scan something , as this is a very complicated task. Even cracking a smile can screw everything up.. Please let them focus people..
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    ]

Well cashiers need to be very focused each time they scan something , as this is a very complicated task. Even cracking a smile can screw everything up.. Please let them focus people..

No, not punching *kitten* in the face is a very difficult task. More so when your job depends on it.

I was behind a guy in a mcdonalds once who cracked a joke with the girl behind the counter. She had raccoon eyes, a pretty obvious sign of a basal skull fracture. Anyway, the guy cracked a joke about not wanting to see what the other guy looked like. The girl looked at the guy in disgust and said " I wish I had seen the guy, cuz I probably wouldn't have been raped".

The guy then proceeded to yell at the manager because the girl had embarrassed him in front of everyone and how dare she not be able to take a joke.

Wtf is wrong with people.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    ]

No, not punching *kitten* in the face is a very difficult task. More so when your job depends on it.

I was behind a guy in a mcdonalds once who cracked a joke with the girl behind the counter. She had raccoon eyes, a pretty obvious sign of a basal skull fracture. Anyway, the guy cracked a joke about not wanting to see what the other guy looked like. The girl looked at the guy in disgust and said " I wish I had seen the guy, cuz I probably wouldn't have been raped".

The guy then proceeded to yell at the manager because the girl had embarrassed him in front of everyone and how dare she not be able to take a joke.

Wtf is wrong with people.

That is horrible. Just horrible. :cry:
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    At Home depot I was with my wife buying a hack saw and I asked the young cashier "Will this cut thru bone?" . She paused for a moment and started to say "I'm not sure, I'll get so and so .... " . My wife ended it there.

At the grocery store my wife and I will be checking out and I'll say "Are you going to pay for those things you stuffed in your purse?"

Also at the grocery store with my wife, I'll walk up to her and act like I haven't seen her in a long time. I'll say "Lela, GOOD TO SEE YOU!! When did you get out of jail?" and then "I can't believe they put you jail for shoplifting"
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Also whenever I'm paying for something and they ask for a credit card, I take out one, look at it funny and say "I found this in the parking lot, lets see if it works"
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I went to McD's and ordered a happy meal. I got in my car and got in the drive thru lane and ordered a happy meal. When I got up to the window I said, "Okay, that was one happy meal right?" and handed the happy meal I bought inside to the cashier. Then I drove away. It sounds stupid to me now, but at the time she was literally scratching her head in confusion and I was laughing so hard I almost peed my pants.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's Awesome! This one made me laugh out loud! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    As a waitress at a family restaurant that did not serve alcohol there was nothing more than the annoying customers who wanted to crack jokes. They were all the same. "ill have a bud light" "goat herders special please" (a glass of milk and a bit of ewe...) " I can't find anything I want on the menu, could you stand on it?" "does the carpet match the curtains?"...........seriously people, I have heard it before, it wasn't funny the first time or the 100th.
  • Isolt
    Isolt Posts: 70
    Options
    Messing with total strangers is one of life's great joys; but if you're going to do it...do it in style.

I think my finest 'messing with strangers' moment was copying the letterhead from my local council and then sending a letter to everyone in the street, purporting to be from the council's planning department announcing that Church Street was going to be renamed Abidemi Olanrewajuoshiekujumigbadamosiemukeku Street in recognition of the great Nigerian freedom fighter.

That went down well....