bump
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Great explanation. :happy:
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    In regards to leptin, if in fact it does have a major effect on metabolism, and if we can raise leptin levels through spiking one day a week, isn't 24 hours of elevated leptin a good thing? Even if we are talking about 14% percent of the week we have elevated leptin levels, isn't this a good thing? The diet is setup so even after spiking, the deficit is still there, so we are not eliminating it with the spike day. Also, don't forget when we are eating low carb while at a caloric deficit, it is thought that leptin sensitivity goes up so the actual effects of the spike day would be exaggerated.

Again, bottom line is I have seen this work so many times with the people I work with and thats what I am concerned about.
    I think one of the selling points of the Spike Diet (at least the one that's popular around here in MFP land) is that the leptin levels are allegedly raised for the whole week. OP is refuting this. I do think, however, that it could offer an energy/phsychological boost for that brief 24~ hour period. And I don't think OP is disputing that.

On another note, my rats are NOT gonna be pleased that I'm taking away their Spike Day :P

We all agree....
    But very few if any study are showing a reversal of leptin resistance (unless it is a serious genetic deficiency and that is less than 8% of obesity cases) so when you are already leptin resistant, you already have high levels of leptin in your body..... a spike will not do anything......

So once again spike diet theories is not, cannot be based on a leptin theory...... as op say..... enjoy it for the psychological effect....

And your rats won't care for spike day or not..... unless they are not healthy, they are very capable ofself-regulating their intake

Do you have any specific reeason for your DIRECT explanation? Have you tried to spike? Have you done testing? Or have you just read adn digested what others say or think?

I agree about the leptin theory, however I don't disagree with the spike thoeries.
    I have somone close in my network if not many having great sucess.

I hate close minded people. Meal Frequency has been pushed down my throat for yrs. I did it for 15 yrs. Sad to say it was a waste of tupperware and time. I have had better results with 1-2 meals a day in 1 yr then ever before.

Just saying. Do some real live research. Try it. Its the only way to prove anything
    Then you can stand up there and scream all you want when it fails/works
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I respect everyone's opinion and diet plan. People should do whatever works best for them.

Unfortunately there isn't a study that is 100% of the Spike plan. We do know that after just one week of moderate calorie deficits that leptin drops and with it comes hunger. We also know that 12 hours of extreme overeating brings it back up but we only know for sure that it remains elevated for 24 hours because that was when the researchers stopped measuring. IMO, it doesn't have to be extreme overeating, just a surplus because we know calorie deficits cause decline, it would make sense that a calorie surplus causes a rise.

To be clear I never said nor believe that leptin remains elevated for a week. I believe it gradually declines as the week goes on and then it's spiked backed up after a Spike Day. People who spike report a high level of cravings and hunger the day before spiking and most of them say the cravings don't return until 4-5 days later. Again I'm not saying leptin levels are high until then but as the levels gradually decline hunger isn't an issue until it hits a certain point.

There are both mental and physical benefits, even if you disregard leptin it's chance to restore glycogen and make your workout the day after-spiking extra special. This is probably the reason why I've been able to add muscle and strength while I lost over 100lbs.

The key thing is you are still in a calorie deficit for the week and you are also able to eat the foods you love. Mentally you are in control of your bad eating habits because you are allowed to indulge.

I have 100's of testimonials from people who have lost 50-100lbs and most importantly they are keeping it off because they continue this as a lifestyle. Myself included, I've maintained my weight loss and improved my physique going on 8 years now.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9771856

Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    On the basis of observations in rodents, leptin is thought to play a key role in the regulation of energy expenditure and food intake, but less is known of its influence on ingestive behavior and energy balance in humans.
    OBJECTIVE:
    We examined the effect in women of a chronic energy deficit on plasma leptin concentrations and self-reported appetite and explored possible relations between leptin and appetite sensations.
    DESIGN:
    Twelve healthy women (body mass index, in kg/m2: 23-37) participated in a metabolic ward study in which 3 wk of neutral energy balance was followed by 12 wk of energy deficit (energy intake reduced by 2 MJ/d and energy expenditure increased by 0.8 MJ/d). Body weight and composition were monitored, fasting leptin concentrations were measured 4 times, and feelings of hunger, fullness, desire to eat, and prospective consumption were monitored hourly throughout the day on 7 selected days.
    RESULTS:
    Adiposity-adjusted leptin decreased by 54% after 1 wk of a moderate energy deficit and remained low after 6 and 12 wk. Leptin was associated with self-reported hunger, desire to eat, and prospective consumption (range of r: -0.6 to -0.7, P < 0.01). The greatest hunger increase coincided with the largest percentage drop in circulating leptin and the lowest final leptin concentration. The relation between leptin and hunger was not influenced by amount of weight or body fat loss.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    These findings support the idea that leptin is a physiologic regulator of hunger during energy deficits in humans; the role of leptin in the long-term regulation of food intake warrants further study.
  • bostongirl47
    bostongirl47 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OK, I will jump on this Bandwagon in defense of the Spike Diet and it works fantastic for me with PROVEN results. Yes, I have tried other diets, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Atkins, even the 6 Week Body Makeover with very little results. To make matters worse, I am pre-menaupausal which is related to weight gain. I have not been able to move the scale below 150 for over a year! Being on the Spike Diet has worked for me tremendously! I have been able to move the scale below 150, lost inches and have enjoyed being on it. The one Spike Day that I have a week is such a great day for me. No worries about what I eat and no working out. It is a fantastic way for your brain to rest and not worry about a thing on that one day. And you look forward to the next one! I will be a "SPIKER" for life!! And will back this up FOREVER!!!! Honestly you should try it before you knock it. DO IT!!!!!!! I have to go EAT now!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I respect everyone's opinion and diet plan. People should do whatever works best for them.

Unfortunately there isn't a study that is 100% of the Spike plan. We do know that after just one week of moderate calorie deficits that leptin drops and with it comes hunger. We also know that 12 hours of extreme overeating brings it back up but we only know for sure that it remains elevated for 24 hours because that was when the researchers stopped measuring. IMO, it doesn't have to be extreme overeating, just a surplus because we know calorie deficits cause decline, it would make sense that a calorie surplus causes a rise.

To be clear I never said nor believe that leptin remains elevated for a week. I believe it gradually declines as the week goes on and then it's spiked backed up after a Spike Day. People who spike report a high level of cravings and hunger the day before spiking and most of them say the cravings don't return until 4-5 days later. Again I'm not saying leptin levels are high until then but as the levels gradually decline hunger isn't an issue until it hits a certain point.

There are both mental and physical benefits, even if you disregard leptin it's chance to restore glycogen and make your workout the day after-spiking extra special. This is probably the reason why I've been able to add muscle and strength while I lost over 100lbs.

The key thing is you are still in a calorie deficit for the week and you are also able to eat the foods you love. Mentally you are in control of your bad eating habits because you are allowed to indulge.

I have 100's of testimonials from people who have lost 50-100lbs and most importantly they are keeping it off because they continue this as a lifestyle. Myself included, I've maintained my weight loss and improved my physique going on 8 years now.

Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    On the basis of observations in rodents, leptin is thought to play a key role in the regulation of energy expenditure and food intake, but less is known of its influence on ingestive behavior and energy balance in humans.
    OBJECTIVE:
    We examined the effect in women of a chronic energy deficit on plasma leptin concentrations and self-reported appetite and explored possible relations between leptin and appetite sensations.
    DESIGN:
    Twelve healthy women (body mass index, in kg/m2: 23-37) participated in a metabolic ward study in which 3 wk of neutral energy balance was followed by 12 wk of energy deficit (energy intake reduced by 2 MJ/d and energy expenditure increased by 0.8 MJ/d). Body weight and composition were monitored, fasting leptin concentrations were measured 4 times, and feelings of hunger, fullness, desire to eat, and prospective consumption were monitored hourly throughout the day on 7 selected days.
    RESULTS:
    Adiposity-adjusted leptin decreased by 54% after 1 wk of a moderate energy deficit and remained low after 6 and 12 wk. Leptin was associated with self-reported hunger, desire to eat, and prospective consumption (range of r: -0.6 to -0.7, P < 0.01). The greatest hunger increase coincided with the largest percentage drop in circulating leptin and the lowest final leptin concentration. The relation between leptin and hunger was not influenced by amount of weight or body fat loss.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    These findings support the idea that leptin is a physiologic regulator of hunger during energy deficits in humans; the role of leptin in the long-term regulation of food intake warrants further study.

Your study shows that leptin decreases when you diet. We know that already.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    I am only respoding to this b/c there is written intelligience among my Spiker friends!
    ~Be Bold ~Be Different ~Be A Spiker!
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    OBJECTIVE:
    DESIGN:
    RESULTS:
    CONCLUSIONS:

I think you need to change the title of your thread. Spike shouldn't be invovled with your thread

You posted some stuff and droves of ppl have come from everywhere to tell you that they have had sick success on the program. Have you ever spiked? Change your name to underthisrock. ok that was funny but a joke

I still thnk you did a good job at getting some good information out there I just disagree with your one sided story
    But hey thats life
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Do you have any specific reeason for your DIRECT explanation? Have you tried to spike? Have you done testing? Or have you just read adn digested what others say or think?

I agree about the leptin theory, however I don't disagree with the spike thoeries.
    I have somone close in my network if not many having great sucess.

I hate close minded people. Meal Frequency has been pushed down my throat for yrs. I did it for 15 yrs. Sad to say it was a waste of tupperware and time. I have had better results with 1-2 meals a day in 1 yr then ever before.

Just saying. Do some real live research. Try it. Its the only way to prove anything
    Then you can stand up there and scream all you want when it fails/works

THIS!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks but I can say personally that the Spike diet plan has worked wonders for me. It's completely changed my outlook on dieting and given me results when before I was stuck in a holding pattern. And beyond that it's just plain fun. I don't feel deprived so it's something I can stick with. I plan on using it not only to lose these last 10 pounds but beyond once I'm in maintenance. I have so much respect and admiration for Russ and how far he has come in his own weight loss journey and I will be forever greatful to him for not only introducing others to this idea but also being as supportive as he always is.

People are free to follow any diet plan they want but I know what works for me!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    OBJECTIVE:
    DESIGN:
    RESULTS:
    CONCLUSIONS:

I think you need to change the title of your thread. Spike shouldn't be invovled with your thread

You posted some stuff and droves of ppl have come from everywhere to tell you that they have had sick success on the program. Have you ever spiked? Change your name to underthisrock. ok that was funny but a joke

I still thnk you did a good job at getting some good information out there I just disagree with your one sided story
    But hey thats life

Whether or not I have ever "spiked" doesn't change what the science is on Leptin.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post this.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!!!! Very well written; full of facts and not of judgement. I appreciate that!
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    WOW!! this is fantastic and i totally agree. i've just taken 2 weeks off on my "diet" and increased my cals. it worked for me, although i didn't exercise either and i feel like crap :( so next time i do this i will still exercise. Thankyou for posting this, it was a great read.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Wether leptin is the key factor or not, the fact remains spiking has helped alot of people. There are many benefits both physical and mental that are in play. If done correctly you still maintain a calorie deficit, and imo it keeps your body thinking and not getting used to your diet. It makes sense that if you eat a large meal once a week or a large set of meals once per week your body will reset everyweek. Kinda like people say to take a couple weeks off every 3months to reset your body and metabolism. The spike day does this just more often on a smaller order. I beleive that is why alot of people that plateau have good results with spiking, it gets their body back to wandering if it's in a deficit or not. This is just my opinion, take it or leave it
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Wether leptin is the key factor or not, the fact remains spiking has helped alot of people. There are many benefits both physical and mental that are in play. If done correctly you still maintain a calorie deficit, and imo it keeps your body thinking and not getting used to your diet. It makes sense that if you eat a large meal once a week or a large set of meals once per week your body will reset everyweek. Kinda like people say to take a couple weeks off every 3months to reset your body and metabolism. The spike day does this just more often on a smaller order. I beleive that is why alot of people that plateau have good results with spiking, it gets their body back to wandering if it's in a deficit or not. This is just my opinion, take it or leave it

You could call it placebo if you want, but I feel the effects of leptin day to day. I feel my cravings increase just before Spike Day and then disappear for several days after Spike Day. For the record I felt this when I first started 8+ years ago well before I had any idea of what leptin was and many other Spikers report the same results.

It works, the difference between Spikers and other dieters is that we love it! We actually enjoy losing weight this way and we are not miserable and hungry like many others who try to lose weight in other ways.