"If it's less than 30 minutes, don't log it."

Options
I have recently come across an MFP who complains heavily about people who log less than 30 minutes of exercise as exercise. In her opinion, you only log it if you've burned 10 cals/minute for at least 30 minutes...So nothing less than 300, nothing less than 30 minutes...I thought this was a bit crazy, but does anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Who made them boss of your tracker?
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    heck yea thats crazy. it you did it then log it. you're body doesn't say it didn't count bc it wasn't 30 mins.
  • Ghewlett
    Ghewlett Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    no way - every little counts as far as I'm concerned & I log pretty much everything!
  • princesscookiepops
    Options
    I look at it like this , every minute counts. It keeps me moving.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    It's your site, you are free to use it in any way that best suits you!!!! No worries!!!!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "minimum" number of minutes to log. And for some of us, 300 is a pretty significant number of calories. It sometimes takes me close to an hour to burn that much because I'm small.

Everyone has their own system, I just wouldn't be subscribing to that one, personally.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    as long as you don't log any snack less than 300 kcals it all works out in the end....
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I think that's silly. HIIT workouts like the Tabata method is often as short as 4 minutes, yet you burn a lot of calories, and they're very effective for weight loss and endurance training. If this person's logic applies, then we shouldn't log bites we take that aren't part of a full meal, yes?

Edited: burn a lot of* calories.
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Depends on the workout. I know I can work out hard for 15-20 minutes and burn 300+cals.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    This is YOUR journey, you make the rules. Sometime I only have time for a quick yoga session, but if I'm using it for exercise, I count it! Every minute counts even if it's only 10!
  • candisrn
    candisrn Posts: 9
    Options
    I do what I can as far as the exercise goes. I count it if I did it. Every little bit helps.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I disagree... my arm/shoulder/chest weight session was a quickie last night. I still logged it, b/c I'm still proud of myself for fitting something in instead of letting everything else I had to do become my excuse for slacking off.

Use YOUR MFP page the way YOU see fit.

On a side note, I do get a little annoyed by people who only log things like cleaning... daily. But I just shake my head and keep moving. To each their own.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    sometimes 30 mins of exercise is all I am going to fit in for the day. That being said, I only log gym time and walking/running outside. I don't usually log cleaning, gardening, etc even though I am still burning while I do these things...I just think of them as a bonus
  • InkedBeauty89
    InkedBeauty89 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I log everything. For me, so that i can look back and see how much ive done each day. It shouldnt matter what anyone else says anyway....its your journal to log what you please.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    All I can get in some days is the 30 day shred...and you better believe if I let Jillian kick my butt for 20 minutes (and roughly 200 calories) that I am going to log it!! :happy:
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Oh believe me, I still log it...I'm often over her 30 minute rule, but I do a lot of yoga so it's often not a 10 cal/minute thing. She posted something on her profile about it, and a lot of people agreed w/her, reading the thread, so I was just wondering if this was her crazy MFPs, or if this was an unwritten "how to get fit" rule that she was just sharing.
  • jerlynsch
    jerlynsch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a dietician and she said always walk at least 15 minutes a day...If you can do more, then great but everyday exercise 15 minutes...so if it's the weekend and that is all I want or can do that day....I log it...If I don't, I won't remember and she won't see that I put forth some effort on the weekend ;)
  • kirstenleo
    kirstenleo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It definitely counts! I've read published articles on this topic. Ten minutes here, 15 minutes there...it all adds up!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    A 20 minute cardio workout is enough to see significant health benefits. I think you need to ignore that person's advice and do what you know is right for you.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I usually don't log less than 30 because my goal is at least 30 a day. Anything less than that (a 15 minute walk around the building at lunch) I just see as a bonus.