"If it's less than 30 minutes, don't log it."

Options

Replies

• crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I disagree... my arm/shoulder/chest weight session was a quickie last night. I still logged it, b/c I'm still proud of myself for fitting something in instead of letting everything else I had to do become my excuse for slacking off.

Use YOUR MFP page the way YOU see fit.

On a side note, I do get a little annoyed by people who only log things like cleaning... daily. But I just shake my head and keep moving. To each their own.

Well said, the same thing bugs me... Or cooking?! Cooking or food prep doesn't count as a flipping calorie-burning activity. Maybe I'll start logging typing...

I only count cooking or cleaning if it is a substantial amount of time and effort. If I'm making a huge dinner where I'm chopping and moving (and I tend to dance a little while cooking lol), I'll count that. Cleaning I count because I only clean on Sundays and it is usually for 2-3 hours, so I'll log 1-1.5 hours of cleaning (to be safe). I think it comes down to you log what you think is sufficient. I do laundry often so I don't count lugging the basket. That's my opinion. =)

Edited to add : I think I've counted cooking maybe 3 times since I joined. It's rare that I do enough "burning" to count cooking. :wink:
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    If you put the effort in, LOG IT!
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    every bit counts even if it is for 30 mins i record it all
  • vicjam2
    vicjam2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everything counts!!!!!!!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I would say that person is crazy. It is just like the MFPer who said that carrying around babies or pushing babies in a stroller don't burn calories - she was full of crap. My babies are 60 lbs combined (3 and 20 mo), and let me tell you I burn major calories pushing them in a double stroller. I count every bit of exercise.

Like others have told you, this is your process - do with it what you want. Take the advice that works for you and ignore the rest.
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend more on what you put in as your lifestyle. I am a computer guy so I listed my life as sedentary and list everything else I do. I sometimes walk around a lot when heading to client sites, so I could have put myself as light or even moderate for my activity level depending on the day. Of course, if I did that, I would be way over on the days I don't do much or have a rest day. So, the moral of the story is do what works for you. If you have yourself listed as having a moderate activity level but really sit all day at work, you might be better off not logging the little walks because it is included in your daily calories already. Ya know what I mean?
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i record it it all counts
  • lissamok
    lissamok Posts: 82
    Options
    Tell her: "slow your roll, hot wheels!" It's better if we can work out for longer periods of time, sure, but who has the time to do this all the time? Your body will still benefit from 3 separate 10 minute workouts, so why not log it? I don't judge anyone for what they log except when I see them drinking 0 glasses of water a day or eating out every single meal (and then complaining they don't lose weight, but only if they complain) because we are all trying in our own ways to get to our goals.
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Wow.....if I exercise, I log it. I rarely go over 300 per day. If I eat it, I log it. So, if I burn it, I log it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think if that's what your friend wants to do then that's what she should do. But, I don't know why she should complain about anyone else doing it.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a control freak :noway:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Tell her to run full speed for 29 min and then advise it doesn't count.

LOL. Seriously.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My exhusband thought that way... ex being the key here.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I for one, am slightly offended by that. For the years that I've been packing on the weight, and becoming more idle, it is taking me a while to build up my endurance to do things for longer than 10 minutes. While I am up to 30 min of a good walk, I am still looking to get past the 10 minute mark for calesthentics. I log my 10 minute morning walk (here at work) and any other thing I do. Poster needs to walk a mile in someone else's shoes before she/he says things like that.
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It definitely counts! It takes quite a bit of energy to actually burn 300. sometimes you can work out hard and include strength training and get the benefits but not necessarily the high burn! I say log it and do not let anyone else dictate what is exercise for you.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Too many people think they know everything and just HAVE to impart that "wisdom" on others. I say ignore 'em (unless of course their advice is constructive and genuinely helpful of course)

Its YOUR tracker, log what YOU think is appropriate.

:)
  • mtnmchgrl
    mtnmchgrl Posts: 20
    Options
    To me, that's like saying "Well it's only 10 calories, so I just won't log it."

You don't always have to go by what anyone says on these boards. You do you! :)
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    That's just ridiculous. I can take a 30 minute walk down my road and burn nearly 200 cals, but since it's not 300 I shouldn't log it? Give me a break. Sounds like someone needs to come off their high horse. Good thing YOU are in control of YOUR tracking.
  • Bonnieelizabeth
    Bonnieelizabeth Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel thaat way! I exercise what the Dr will allow me to and will log every bit of what I do! There are days that I don't exercise but I watch my calories and carb intake even closer. My thinking is that I am a grown -up and know what is right for my body and I know what I need to do to take care of myself!
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do mini workouts throughout the day. I take at least two 15 minute walks during my work day. I log them both. Like so many others are saying, "you make the rules". Personally, I don't log my cleaning or yardwork but do log little workouts. It's whatever you want to do. :smile: