"If it's less than 30 minutes, don't log it."

Options

Replies

• nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I become enraged at people who feel like they can say what I can or cannot log! Sheesh! For some people that 10 minutes is that start of eventually 30 or 40 minutes and we all need to start somewhere! Even if it never is more than that it is better than nothing and everyone has the right to use this site as they see fit. Just because somebody spends 2/3 of their free time on excercise machines does not mean I ever want to live that way and will remain to have increased conifdence each time I log another 15 minutes! Thanks for bringing this up. I am so annoyed at people who belittle those making positive changes. so, that's that, i suppose ;)
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Its your journey, your page, your life... Use it as it best suits you.. Not dictated by anyone else other than site admins..
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I burn 75 calories in 5 mts ...... a burn is a burn .... so log that baby in even if its 5 mts!
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    pffft I log everything unless it is something I have been doing daily for a long time like going to pick up my son from the bus...I do that everyday so it doesn't make a difference, or when i take 15 mins and do a pick up of the kids things...but if it makes me sweat or if it is something I don't do every day then I log it

for example I did a major clean out of my kids rooms it took forever and I was all sweaty and hungry after, so I logged it, or when I wash my floors by hand, it is definitely a workout.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Most of my workouts are 30 or less.

I try and do supersets, so i can minimize my time TRYING TO GET sexy, and focus more time on BEING sexy.
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    I log everything. A five minute aerobics video, ten minutes of warm up/cool down on the treadmill, every bit. I don't log daily activity, but if I do it at the gym or consider it exercise, it's getting logged. If I walk/jog with my dog for ten minutes, it may only burn a few calories, but if I feel like it's worth it, I'll log it.

I log every bite I eat and every calorie I burn. I don't log my water, though, so it always shows up as 0. I drink a lot of it, but I tend to drink half a glass, come back later and fill it up, etc, and drink a billion little paper cups at the gym. It's hard for me to keep up with exactly how much water I drink, so I don't bother. I just try to drink as much as I can.
  • cummingsmike
    Options
    This is too elitist for many who are looking to change up their lifestyle. Nor does it make medical sense. There is good published literature that shows that incremental activity (10 minutes here and there) is certainly better than no activity at all. There are certain kinds of conditioning gains which require more continuous activity (e.g. if you want to run a faster marathon, there is no way around putting in some long runs), but for general fitness and health gains (e.g. risks of diabetes, cardiovascular disease etc) even small amounts of increased activity can make yield a significant improvement in risk profile.

So if getting your exercise comes in small lumps of time, go ahead and log it if you want to. It sure was better for you than sitting on the couch.
  • LoveAngie
    LoveAngie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate is increased higher than usual for 20 minutes you are improving your cardiovascular system and overall fitness. To me that is definitely worth noting.

I agree with the above poster.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If I did it, I log it..........plain and simple...........that woman is crazy!
  • Andrealana
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds and 5-6 pant sizes doing a 20 minute workout 4 times a week, so I'm proof enough that any physical activity works. Now I'm no bikini or fitness model, but I'm way healthier and happier than I was.

I know myself; I hate the gym and will find any excuse to get out of there as quick as possible. You have to know your body and know your mentality and make the best decisions for you! Maybe that's what works for her, but that would never work for me. Someone telling you "it doesn't count" doesn't make it true, it just makes it their truth.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I hate people on this website. lol
  • gonnadidit
    gonnadidit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    While lovemaking last only five minutes, it sure kicks my *kitten*, so hell yes I log it, lmao:bigsmile:
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I log it.
  • Andrealana
    Options
    I pretty much LOVE this :smile:
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    While lovemaking last only five minutes, it sure kicks my *kitten*, so hell yes I log it, lmao:bigsmile:

LMAO!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I have recently come across an MFP who complains heavily about people who log less than 30 minutes of exercise as exercise. In her opinion, you only log it if you've burned 10 cals/minute for at least 30 minutes...So nothing less than 300, nothing less than 30 minutes...I thought this was a bit crazy, but does anyone else feel like this?

Keep moving and keep logging...and un-friend that person!
  • shoby68
    shoby68 Posts: 30
    Options
    That is absolutely wrong. When I started excercising (at 230 lbs) I was able to run for 10 minutes (2 laps around a school playground) and I logged it. This enabled me to see my progess, and helped me get on track to lose over 50 pounds in 6 months.

Everything you do to improve your health should be logged, as it all counts towards your goal.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If this person's logic applies, then we shouldn't log bites we take that aren't part of a full meal, yes?

If that were true, that would be awesome. I would just go through life taking one bite of a brownie every 30 minutes.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'll say this, I've been a bit embarrassed to do it, but have logged house cleaning. There are times my joint injuries hurt so darned bad it is a challenge to clean up. If thats all the movement I can get in a day, thats it.

If someone else doesn't like it or know why its the way it is, I don't really care. Walk a mile in my disability and then we'll talk.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have recently come across an MFP who complains heavily about people who log less than 30 minutes of exercise as exercise. In her opinion, you only log it if you've burned 10 cals/minute for at least 30 minutes...So nothing less than 300, nothing less than 30 minutes...I thought this was a bit crazy, but does anyone else feel like this?
    My martial arts instructor could make just about anybody puke from exertion in under seven minutes. He had a couple old-school drills that he used to break down the cocky attitudes of the various "tough guys" that wander into the school from time to time. I was there when he broke down a Recon medic and former Navy Seal, and I've been a victim of it myself.

Duration is secondary to intensity. Your MFP knows not what they speak of.