^^ This.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. I hope your "friend" sees this thread :laugh:
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I spent a month or so doing the 30Day shred. Every workout is less than 30 minutes. Every workout, I burned around 250 calories. By this person's standards, I shouldn't have logged any of it. But let me tell you, that *kitten* counted! Before and after pics make that obvious to me, as does my boyfriend's reaction to my new body. Oh, and I lost weight doing it. But most impressive was the inches lost.

It's your call, as it is for each of us. I log all workouts, and time playing with the Kinect exercise games. I don't log cleaning or yardwork unless it's really heavy-duty stuff, but other people log it all, and that is fine. MFP is YOUR tool to use in whatever way helps YOU get more fit. Good luck on your journey!
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have recently come across an MFP who complains heavily about people who log less than 30 minutes of exercise as exercise. In her opinion, you only log it if you've burned 10 cals/minute for at least 30 minutes...So nothing less than 300, nothing less than 30 minutes...I thought this was a bit crazy, but does anyone else feel like this?

I am the single working mother of two children. Sometimes I simply don't have more than 20 minutes. I've always patted myself on the back and told myself that 20 minutes is better than NO minutes. Whoever this MFP'er is, he/she can kiss my shrinking @ss.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    On a side note, I do get a little annoyed by people who only log things like cleaning... daily. But I just shake my head and keep moving. To each their own.

I once saw someone log driving once. She was going long distance and logged burning tons of calories driving. Maybe in Fred Flintstone's car, but not in mine!
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Don't listen to whomever told you this. It's wrong.
  • lleabrooks
    lleabrooks Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I did it- I log it! Don't care if it was only 5 minutes!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Ignore her. Log it. Even for someone who's not ill (I am at the moment) every bit of activity is an achievement. It certainly is for me amyway. I don't log it because I want to eat it back, I log it because I'm proud of it and why shouldn't I be? I don't log every bit of cleaning as I consider that part of living, but anything substantial I do x
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i log it all..even if i walk for 5 minutes and burn 10 cals..its still burning..if i knew someone like that, they would be gone..just my personal opinion..a loss is a loss no matter the time or cals burned
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    That's crazy it's like if you eat a piece of gum or food under 100 calories do you log it?? Um yes lol.... I log it because it's calories lost
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You can get a GREAT workout in less than 30 minutes. ESPECIALLY if it is interval training.

What I DON'T understand is people logging walking and cleaning as exercise. THAT is normal daily activity.
  • rwindover
    rwindover Posts: 20
    Options
    Every single workout counts!!!
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    A significant benefit of MFP is for me to be able to see my own progress, and to go from a couch potato to someone who gets some movement in every day is a really big deal. That's how change happens, and every minute, every movement counts!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I ran a 3 mile race this past Saturday in under 22 minutes and burned a lot more calories than I would have burned doing that same run in over 30 minutes...so heck yeah I planned on recording those! I did do a 1 mile cool down run after and added that too, but If I wanted to keep it at 22 minutes, I would have proudly done that!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Hey, a 20 minute workout is better than no workout.
    Also, expecting 100cal/10 minutes is unreasonable for some people. Since I'm so small, Im lucky if I hit 250 in 30 minutes.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I do get a little annoyed by people who only log things like cleaning... daily. But I just shake my head and keep moving. To each their own.

I once saw someone log driving once. She was going long distance and logged burning tons of calories driving. Maybe in Fred Flintstone's car, but not in mine!

:laugh:
  • richiedbond
    Options
    With her logic the 5K I ran this morning shouldn't have been logged. Ooops my bad, waste of 23 minutes... Never doing that again
    :noway:
  • To each his own but I'm going to log whatever I want to log. Lots of times I walk to lunch and even though it may only be 10 minutes, you better beleive I'm going to log it.

If I'm walking to and from, usually ten minutes there, ten minutes back, I log that as well. I felt like I shouldn't but I have my settings to sedentary. I'd rather log what I do in a day then account to a lifestyle on much lazier days.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    You are in charge of you. I log all of my exercise. If I run two miles in 22 minutes I shouldn't log it? Like heck!!! I've worked to hard to run that fast and burn that many calories. Whoever posted it, can take care of their own Tracker and leave our own tracking to us. : - )
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    That makes absolutely no sense!
    I mean, I don't log walking for 5-10 minutes at a time when it's part of my daily activity, but if I take a 20 minute walk for the sole purpose of exercise then I'm logging it! It's not like our bodies have a timer for what counts and what doesn't.

I agree completely - I get annoyed when I see people logging light cleaning or other every day activities - I mean, when you aren't focused on getting in shape are you not cleaning either?? But if I do it for the purpose of additional activity, above and beyond what I would normally do, then it gets logged!