"If it's less than 30 minutes, don't log it."

Options

Replies

• Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I just don't see the point behind that? If you eat 300 extra calories and don't log it, they're still going into your body. Same with calories burned... Besides I dont always have time to do 30 minutes, so if I only have time to squeeze in 15...heck yea im going to log it!
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am a single WAHM... the only time I can get more than 30 minutes is when I take my DD out for a walk.. other than that, I am lucky if I can get 15-20 minutes. I make sure I am doing some serious working out during that time and I sure as hell log it! Just tell her to mind her own business and let you do what works for you :)
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    that might not work for me. Typical work out

10 minutes Stretching
    10 -15 minutes calisthenics
    10-15 minutes on a heavy bag
    10-20 minutes circuit training
    15-30 minutes of martial arts (contact)

I guess I should not log any of that. :laugh:
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have recently come across an MFP who complains heavily about people who log less than 30 minutes of exercise as exercise. In her opinion, you only log it if you've burned 10 cals/minute for at least 30 minutes...So nothing less than 300, nothing less than 30 minutes...I thought this was a bit crazy, but does anyone else feel like this?

Haha thats about the stupiest thing I ever heard! if it is out of my normal daily routine I track it. sometimes I run upstairs for 10-15 and thats one hell of a burn!!!!!!
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    That's what the delete button is for!!! The only boss you have to answer to is urself!!
  • Jwanguy
    Jwanguy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    nope exercise is exercise.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'd log it. I don't tend to log housework, lawnwork etc, but if its like walking the dog...Hell ya. But that's just me. You do it, you move your body, MFP sets your BMR so ANYTHING you do besides sleeping is worth logging if you want to track it. Regardless of time you are still burning calories. To each his own.
  • roycelynberry
    roycelynberry Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thats dumb i coun't every min
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    and some fitness gurus say, for example, that three 20-minute high energy workouts are more beneficial than a 1-hour workout because you can exercise at a higher level and/or your body does not have time to adjust and slow down. Opinions are like butt-holes though and everybody has one. Even me. LOL. :laugh:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Who made them boss of your tracker?

This
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I just went jogging for 40 minutes and only burned 254 calories- even though my average HR for the workout was 128 and my MHR was 173.......guess that doesn't qualify....in fact, if I jog the "loop" again, I still won't be eligible to log it because I doubt I will be able to achieve the required 300cal per 30 minutes of exercise.

I vote to ignore your friend!

Best of luck to you-
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't know who came up with that, but that makes NO SENSE!!! I do 2-3 short workouts a day! Usually 15-20 minutes long each... but they are normally HIIT training, Circuit Training or Strength training and are seriously intense! There's no way anyone can tell me I am not exercising enough to log it- "because it was less than 30 minutes". Honestly if it wasn't effective...how did I manage to lose 44 lbs in less than 3 months?! Interesting. I do what I feel works for me, and I believe every little bit counts. If you worked for it, you EARNED the right to post it! TO each his own, but I will continue to log ANY "workout" I complete, no matter the length.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Who made them boss of your tracker?

^this^
  • kc7671
    kc7671 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    MFP is a way for YOU to keep track of your food and activity.... however you chose to do it is your business. Would you not log food because you didn't eat the WHOLE pizza ... so it's not worth writing down? Silly. Whoever said that is a little goofy...and i'm glad they're not my support system. What a downer they would be :) Keep logging whatever you like!! That's how i see it.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Tell her to run full speed for 29 min and then advise it doesn't count.

^^This^^
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I log as much as I can... but also it stands to reason if you don't log the exercise then what about food? If its less than 30 calories do you just NOT log it...? I chew a lot of gum and even though it is only 5 calories for 2 pieces I still log it... it has 2 gms of carb and I watch that too... so I think if you do something that is "out of your ordinary daily activity" then log it. :wink:
  • emmysdaddy2000
    Options
    Any exercise counts :) If all I have time for is 20 minutes then thats what i do and Im sure as heck going to count it. It all helps
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Anything that I do specifically working towards my weight-less/fitness goal gets logged (this means I don't log things like cleaning, gardening, etc because I did all these while I was just fat & getting fatter and obviously they weren't helping...).

Most mornings and afternoons at work, I fit in a 'smoke break' (since all the nicotine addicts get one, too) and walk a mile. It generally takes me 16-18 minutes and you can sure bet I log them. That's an extra 32-36 minutes of cardio I fit into my day because I'm consciously making an effort to acheive a goal. Why would I not log it?

I say to each his own and what works for some may not work for others. No one has the right to dictate how others should or shouldn't be doing it.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think that's silly. HIIT workouts like the Tabata method is often as short as 4 minutes, yet you burn a lot of calories, and they're very effective for weight loss and endurance training. If this person's logic applies, then we shouldn't log bites we take that aren't part of a full meal, yes?

Edited: burn a lot of* calories.

I log 30 minutes or less of exercise but not bites of food lol
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    It definitely counts! I've read published articles on this topic. Ten minutes here, 15 minutes there...it all adds up!

Exactly! Thats what matters.

I can run a 5k in just under 30 min, why shouldn't that count.

Now I wouldn't count say, walking to and from my car to a store, but walking around in the mall at a leisurely pace for 2-3 hours, YES I will log it.

Unloading the dishwasher or a quick vacuum? No, but if I'm cleaning lots, over 15 min I'll add it.

And I have logged standing when I was waiting to get my car's oil changed. :tongue: