Dog owners, am i being selfish?

Options

Replies

• amyallenstockwell
    amyallenstockwell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I adopted a 2 year old. She has been a sweet heart. Plus, there was no chewing, housebreaking, etc. She is so loyal and loving. After I got her I returned to work, she was lonely, so we got a puppy. They have so much fun with each other. Also, if you have a fenced yard, get a dog door. They can go in and out as they please and my puppy loves being outside and now that nice weather is here would stay out almost all day. I am so glad we did it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Investigate different breeds of dogs. Some do well when left alone while you are at work, others, not so well. Learn about the different temperaments of the dogs. A local vet should be able to guide you to some information to help you decide. Our dogs do fine whether we are home or not. My sister-in-laws dog has tried to claw through and eat almost every part of their house. It can work if you find the right dog for you and give it plenty of love and attention when you get home.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've had my beagle for 5 years, since he was a puppy. I work 8 hour days and I work about 45 minutes away from my house. I leave the house at 545 am for work and I don't get back til around 345 pm. My fiance works from 7 am to 8-9pm everyday. The dog is there alone for about 8-9 hours a day, and he's perfectly fine. I make sure he has water and food everyday and plenty of toys and I turn the TV on in the living room for him and the radio on in the kitchen. Just be sure, when you are home to pay attention to the dog and take him outside to play, etc. More than likely the dog will sleep most of the time you are gone.
    Similar
    I am not as far away, but I often have to put the dogs in a different room when I get my workouts in, they assume a pushup is a perfect time to lick my face. I know they are being supportive, but it is a distraction. They are fine as long as I exercise them and pay attention to them when I am home.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    By nature, dogs will spend 12-16 hours a day SLEEPING. So, don't worry about the 8 hours you are at work! Just be sure you let them out to "do their business" right before you leave. Currently, I have two boxers. Both are crate trained. However, one had to have CCL (like ACL, but in a dog) surgery and she gets very stiff and sore if she is in a crate all day, so she's left out… but she's VERY well behaved. My other boxer is a little stinker when we're not at home and has been sentenced to life in a crate when we are gone. :) She really, really doesn't mind. Every morning, she just goes into her crate by herself and when I'm ready to leave, I just close it up! I've NEVER used the crate as punishment… it's really more of a "happy place" for them.

I love dogs and I spend a lot of time training my dogs, so if you have any questions, please feel free to message me.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    My dog stays in his pen all day long while we work. (8 hours at work) He actually goes in his pen without trouble. He LIKES his pen. Maybe because he knows we are coming home and going to let him out as soon as we get there.

I think as long as you play with and give attention to your future furry hound, I think you will be fine. That is not at all selfish! Just make sure he/she knows that you will be there for it whenever you can!

Love your dog more than anything else, and it will be fine!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Simples. Get TWO dogs. :wink:
    Worked for me and the girls. They are best buds.
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I was working full time when I got my dog, and I've been out of work for quite a while now. You know what my dog does most of the day? Sleep.

Eight hours is too long for a puppy to be home alone, since they don't have enough bladder control, but perfectly fine for an adult dog. Rescue dogs are the best. :smile:

I agree. I have a lab and all he does while i am at work is sleep on our covered patio all day. My schauzer stays inside in a spare room and he is paper trained so i help out. If it wouldnt be for hawks and every one in a while have the bald eagle fly in the pasture behind my house I would leave them both outside. My first dogs were resuce dogs. :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters - depends on the type of dog. Some breeds need constant attention, some are happy to chill whilst you do your thang - I'd just say do some research.

There are plenty of options for "daycare" as well - I have a dog and work, but my dog is happy to be at home on her own (well, with the cat) for the time I'm at work - but I also spoil her when I'm home. Or the option of more than one animal!

And I don't think it's selfish at all. Posters who have implied that are just putting human emtions on to non-human animals. If they have access to food, water and entertainment then it's better than being in a rescue shelter! A lot of dogs don't even get that kind of loving :(
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I've had my beagle for 5 years, since he was a puppy. I work 8 hour days and I work about 45 minutes away from my house. I leave the house at 545 am for work and I don't get back til around 345 pm. My fiance works from 7 am to 8-9pm everyday. The dog is there alone for about 8-9 hours a day, and he's perfectly fine. I make sure he has water and food everyday and plenty of toys and I turn the TV on in the living room for him and the radio on in the kitchen. Just be sure, when you are home to pay attention to the dog and take him outside to play, etc. More than likely the dog will sleep most of the time you are gone.
    Similar
    I am not as far away, but I often have to put the dogs in a different room when I get my workouts in, they assume a pushup is a perfect time to lick my face. I know they are being supportive, but it is a distraction. They are fine as long as I exercise them and pay attention to them when I am home.

I've been the victim of many a workout time face lick! :) My solution is to play with them a few minutes before I start my workout and then they put them in a down-stay while I do my workout. They usually promptly go to sleep and wait up about the time I am done!
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Consider getting two dogs....of the smaller variety. We have miniature Australian Sheppards and they are very interactive with us, but also they entertain each other WAY more than we could. The constantly have what we affectionately call 'dog wars' where they chew on each other and play. :) It's one of my favorite things. Also, because they are the same age and breed their energy levels are the same. We crate them while we're at work, but they always have each other when we're not there to play with them or take them to the park. I love my fuzzy buddies.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I have the same situation. And I grew up with a similar situation, a number of dogs and we were all gone for at least 8 hours a day.
    So long as you provide the dog with a mode of going potty, eating and drinking water, and have room for them to excercise, you should be fine. And giving the dog a companion will help it get through the 8 hours.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    my fiance and I have a puggle. we adopted him back in Jan 2010 and he is literally our child. Unfortunately we both work, so the dog is left alone Tues-Fri from about 8AM until 4 or 5PM. he LOVES to sleep, so literally he just sleeps and relaxes all day. He seems okay with us both being gone during the day, in fact I bet he prefers it LOL

do your research, find a breed that doesn't mind being alone. Our puggle is super friendly and loves playing/attention but he is okay being left alone during the day too. We keep him in the bedroom (he loves to lick the kitchen floor and would probably get into the cabinets lol) and he is fine and just snuggles on our bed all day.

i don't think you're being selfish at all. my fiance and I work and have our own lives, so some ngihts we are at the gym, the store, with friends.. again, the dog is fine on his own and we always just make sure he has been fed/taken out, and given attention when we are home. Find a dog that is laid back and you'll be fine! I wouldn't suggest getting a puppy though, they would NEED the attention and that is a dog I would HATE to leave all day!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind big dogs, a Mastiff is a GREAT breed for this. They are incredibly laid back, but can be so playful when their owners come home. They are incredibly low maintenance as well. They love to sleep.

I have an 8 (almost 9) year old Mastiff and he loves to sleep. No need for a dog walker. His bladder is made of iron....haha

Giant breeds are great for lower-energy families. They don't mind long lazy days at home. They like long walks but don't eat the furniture if you skip a day. Plus they love to cuddle. My pup is occasionally home alone for up to 10 hours if my family's work schedules get weird, and it doesn't phase him.

I'm a Saint Bernard person, myself. The breed fits my book-worm lifestyle and is generally great with kids and other animals. The downside is the drool and the short life-spans :(
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    About a year ago, my then-fiance (now my hubby) and I decided that we wanted to get a dog. We lived in an apartment just outside the city. I was off work on medical leave at the time, and my husband is a computer consultant and an opera singer, so his schedule is flexible. We ended up rescuing a 2 year old terrier mix from the local animal shelter. She had been seized for cruelty, so we were excited to give her a good home. She was a super nervous little thing, but just as sweet and loving as can be.

A few months later, we started having trouble with her barking. Our complex was very close and a lot of people walked past the window to rile her up on a daily basis. Once we moved into a rental home, though, she calmed down significantly. It helps having a yard or area for her to run around in.

I am back to working a full-time job, and between my commute and working hours, I am gone 12 hours. My husband is home with her some, but honestly the dog sleeps 20 hours a day as it is. She never tears up the house, and is trained to use a potty pad if she can't hold it until we get home. No accidents, no muss, no fuss. Plus, when I get home she is SUPER excited to see me!! She gets lots of attention when we are home.

I would say to definitely rescue an adult. Puppies are adorable, but they are like having a baby! They need a LOT of time and attention (and will probably keep you up all night crying). The adult dogs are already housebroken, and they need a good home and someone who will take good care of them.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    We have three dogs, they are home guarding the house :laugh: during the day 4 days a week, the other 3 someone is home.
    They keep each other company, have access to the backyard through a doggy door and have a large portion of our downstairs with beds and a few toys. Whoever said leaving them alone all day is cruel is talking out their a**...sorry.
    They get walked almost every night, frequently go to dog parks and sometimes go for hikes. They are part of the family and as such are treated like family. Dogs will be ok during the day and don't need to be coddled 24/7.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Im really toying with the idea of getting a furry buddy.

I live alone and work at least 8 hours a day, when im not in work i am always itching for an excuse to stomp around the local countryside.

I know i can give a dog a good, relaxed and stable home with plenty of care and exercise but the poor thing would have to be alone while im working.

Thoughts please.

I grew up on a farm and dogs are ment to be free and have companionship all the time, the most humane thing you could do is NOT get a dog living in the city. it really upsets me to see animals in cages and left alone for most of the day, its wrong and it is not fair to the dog, your doing it for your own selfish reasons. don't do it, we have 2 cats that have cat doors that come and go as they please, i have never cleaned cat litter because we have 17 acres for them to do there business, plus it cuts down on food, they tend to hunt for themselves. we want a dog but know the huge maintenance they are, and the thought of leaving it alone for more than 8 hours just breaks my heart. they are more demanding than kids, the difference is you can ignore your dog which is the worst. i urge you, do not get a dog, for the dogs sake.

I could say the same about you with your cats. We stopped letting ours out because when we lived in the country with tons of room for them to roam, they got hit by cars and a couple killed by wild animals. So, I could call you selfish for letting your cats out just so you don't have to clean a litter box.

But I won't. Because I don't judge people so harshly.

Ok, I don't even usually participate in the forums because I'm not the type of person to get into a conflict with someone online of all places... But I cant continue reading this and not say anything. Its not about judging anyone, my feelings are purely compassion for all the dogs left alone all day. Just because "There are lots of people who leave their dogs for 8 hours a day" doesn't mean it's right. All that means is that too many people justify their actions this way. Everyone is free to do what they want with their pets (except abuse them!) but when you decide to get a dog, you need to be able to make a commitment to that life you are taking on. It's about them, not you! If you leave them for 8 hours a day, then spend less than that with them after your done work, how is that fair to that dog? I am extremely passionate about the humane treatment of animals, and I agree with the post about not getting a dog if you live in a city. And don't even get me started on crate training.... Again, I'm not attacking anyone, or questioning your love for your little buddy, this is about the dogs, and what they deserve, and so many deserve sooo much more.

Edit to add: While i was typing it was mentioned about euthanizing dogs and the pound, I'm obviously against this due to my passion for dogs. unfortunately, most people wont go that route to get a dog. if you do get a dog, please get a rescue, but keep in mind, most of the time these dogs need MORE attention than a non-pound dog, not less.

Thank you!!! everyone who gets a pet has great intentions, however when times change people tend to think its ok to throw them away. i find this to be very sad.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    I think it's ok. Me and Sammy (my German Shepherd) do walks each day. I go out with him in the morning and I take him for a long walk when I get home. He seems just fine with it.

I agree that perhaps a larger dog would be better, since many of those breeds are low-energy (not shepherds though, Sammy is a bit rambunctious). For example, I've owned Newfoundlands and as long as you get them a walk once a day they are cool just laying about doing nothing. Same with Great Danes (although leaving your food on the counter will be a HUGE no-no with them).
  • BartsGurl
    BartsGurl Posts: 19
    Options
    Yes to the TWO dog suggestion! That's a great idea. Dogs are pack animals and they do need company, so if you're not there, you have to do something...either doggie day care (which dogs always LOVE, LOVE, LOVE) or get him a companion, or hire a pet sitter to come in every day.

I"m grateful you even asked. A lot of selfish people don't even think about this before they take the plunge and often the dogs end up being destructive if left alone too much and then they end up at the pound!

Good luck!!
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Im really toying with the idea of getting a furry buddy.

I live alone and work at least 8 hours a day, when im not in work i am always itching for an excuse to stomp around the local countryside.

I know i can give a dog a good, relaxed and stable home with plenty of care and exercise but the poor thing would have to be alone while im working.

Thoughts please.

I grew up on a farm and dogs are ment to be free and have companionship all the time, the most humane thing you could do is NOT get a dog living in the city. it really upsets me to see animals in cages and left alone for most of the day, its wrong and it is not fair to the dog, your doing it for your own selfish reasons. don't do it, we have 2 cats that have cat doors that come and go as they please, i have never cleaned cat litter because we have 17 acres for them to do there business, plus it cuts down on food, they tend to hunt for themselves. we want a dog but know the huge maintenance they are, and the thought of leaving it alone for more than 8 hours just breaks my heart. they are more demanding than kids, the difference is you can ignore your dog which is the worst. i urge you, do not get a dog, for the dogs sake.

I could say the same about you with your cats. We stopped letting ours out because when we lived in the country with tons of room for them to roam, they got hit by cars and a couple killed by wild animals. So, I could call you selfish for letting your cats out just so you don't have to clean a litter box.

But I won't. Because I don't judge people so harshly.
    you just did judge me by saying that. both cats are rescues, if they get ate by another animal, its called the circle of life and its a tough one.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    Here are a couple of options:

1. Wake up earlier than usual, and take your dog on a walk before going to work.
    2. Take your dog to doggie day care

I'm in graduate school with limited funds, but I still find it necessary that a dog has adequate exercise every day!