Dog owners, am i being selfish?

Options

Replies

• Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just have to say that to the posters who think that because my wife and I work out of the house that we don't care for or love our dogs, you need to get over yourselves.
    My dog is happy (well as much as you can tell whether an animal is happy or not), well-adjusted and well taken care for.
    She greets me at the door when I get home, we play and go for at least two 20-30 minute walks a day, she curls up on the couch next to me in the evening and sleeps on the bed with us at night. She's well fed, cost us a fortune in medical bills for various problems, she's a part of our family.
    Leaving her home while we work is not a bad thing and we're not selfish people. In fact, I would argue that most people who get pets are just the opposite - they want to share their homes and their love with a pet. Whether it's a cat, a dog or whatever. Caring for an animal isn't just making sure their water bowl is full, it's making sure they are loved and all of their needs are met.
    I, personally, am insulted by your insinuations that we are anything but good "parents" and companions to our dog.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    QUOTE: [/quote] you just did judge me by saying that. both cats are rescues, if they get ate by another animal, its called the circle of life and its a tough one.
    [/quote]

Wow...just - wow!
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am the proud owner, or maybe it is the other way around, of an amazing Chocolate lab, Molokai. There is a joke that says: You know your dog loves you more than your wife, lock them both in the trunk of the car for an hour and see which one is happy to see you! He is always happy to see me. The wife, well, most of the time she is happy to see me!
    As far as keeping him at home for 8 hours, we had a kennel that we had a dark sheet over. We thought at first it was kind of mean to have him in a kennal all day long. The funny thing that happened, it became his safe place and preferred place to sleep. And we didn't have to worry about coming home and finding the couch in three different rooms. After a good walk or run through the woods he would go to his safe place, the kennel, and relax and sleep. When he was ready for some more fun, he would show up again.
    Today, he ain't got a kennel, he has a queen size bed, actually my bed, when I am at work. He is an amazing friend, he has been with me through the good and the bad. Most of the time he is with me, he is not on a leash as he won't leave my side! We used to go into Lowe's together until the manager told me the last time that they now have food in Lowe's, and he said "Your friend won't be able to come in here anymore, we now sell food." Both me and Molokia looked at Kat, my spouse. We hoped the manager was talking about her, Molokia loves going to Lowe's, my wife, not so much.
    As long as you spend the time when you got the time, he will be your best buddy ever! Oh, and he is a great alarm clock on the weekend, he can't tell time, but he can tell when he is supposed to get a dog bone! You'll never sleep late again! Promise!
    Mike / BC / Socks
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I volunteer with a local rescue, and we adopt to working families ALL the time. I mean, someone has to work to put the kibble in the bowl, right? However, you might find that you need to change your lifestyle after you get the dog.

Others have said this before, but get an older dog, at least 2 years old, preferably older. They have the bladder control to hold it while you're gone, and given adequate stimulation when you are with the dog, will do perfectly okay when you're at work.

Dogs need exercise. A nice long walk twice a day will fit the bill. You may have to get up earlier/stay up later to accommodate that, but that's what responsible dog ownership is about, doing the right thing, not the expedient thing. IF the dog is dog friendly, take him to a dog park after you're done with the walk (not as a substitute).

Dogs need to be trained. Even if the dog is perfectly well behaved, they benefit from training. It helps the dog-owner bond, betters your communication, and gives the dog's brains something to do. Sometimes, this is at least important, if not more, than physical exercise.

You can give the dog 'things to do' to occupy itself with while you're gone. For instance, feed the dog from a frozen Kong. Give him puzzle toys. Again, good for the brain, and keeps the dog occupied and out of trouble (although, IME, my dogs just sleep when I'm not actively engaged with them).

If you do have serious concerns about leaving the dog alone for an extended period of time, hire a dog walker, or if the dog is a good candidate, take him to doggie daycare.

And as someone else suggested, fostering is an awesome way to dip your toe into the dog ownership realm without actually committing the next 10 years (or more) of your life to the care of a dog. Rescues are perpetually on the lookout for good foster homes.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get a puppy if I was you. Puppies need more attention during the day. At least one year or older.

I would recommend finding a foster program. There are so many out there. The fee is usually higher because the animals are fostered in people's homes. They usually want to do at home visits too. But many are crate trained, house broken, etc. My niece found a prison program where the prisoners train the rescue dogs. Her dog has to be one of the best dogs ever. He never begs for human food.

We got lucky. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect dog to fit into our lives. We got her from a foster program ran by local vet students. They work well with the local shelter and have dramatically reduced the kill ratio there. They had the longest application, called all our references and did two house visits too. I think the Foster Dad had a hard time letting her go but they were heading into exam week and he was heading back home for the summer. So he knew it was the right thing. He now follows me on facebook so he can see pictures of her.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My dog is home 8-9 hours a day alone during weekdays and he's fine. I made sure he has a nice bed, lots of toys, and fresh water while I'm out.

When I'm home, he goes everywhere with me. I've never had a problem with him destroying anything or freaking out. I think it depends a lot on the nature of the dog, and he was a rescue and into adulthood already when I adopted him. It's a lot harder to leave a puppy at home for 8 hours+ a day, I think.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I understand people have working lives/careers, but leaving a single dog for 8hours a day alone is dam right cruel !!!
  • mmm_e
    mmm_e Posts: 10
    Options
    We didn't get our first dog until we were in a situation that the dog wouldn't be left alone for long periods of time (frequently) - but that is just me. Now we have two. Our dogs are typically alone for no more than 3-4 hours. We rescued an older pit-mix recently and he and our first dog LOVE each other, I get home to two tired out pups, based on all their toys around the house I guess they actually play quite a bit (I am sure they sleep quite a bit too). We also take the time to get up and walk them in the morning, around lunch, and we typically try to take them for a longer hike or to the beach or a play-group after work. It takes a TON of time (and money honestly) to keep them entertained and happy - but we knew that going into it. *Our dogs are still relatively young and require frequent exercise and activities to keep them busy.

I think the most important thing to do when considering getting a dog is trying to match the breed (personality / needs) to what you can offer. Be honest with yourself about the time you are willing to commit to them. I see so many well-meaning people drop their pups off at the shelter because they didn't do their research and didn't understand what they were getting into.
    If you do decide to get a dog, I would consider a dog walker, doggie day care, or possibly adopting 2 to ensure your new pup will get plenty of socialization and exercise though out the day :flowerforyou:

PS. I think you are being very unselfish by really considering what you have to offer (in terms of time) to a potential dog - and I would adopt / rescue a pup (probably older based on your situation) – puppies are a CRAZY amount of work… and they need to go out a lot!
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    I am owned by two dogs, a border collie/pitbull and a cocker spaniel/shih tzu! I was a dog foster home for a year and a half before I decided to adopt Molly (border collie/pitbull). I had seven other dogs that were great but were not a fit in one way or another. I wish I had been so choosy with Toby (cocker spaniel/shih tzu). I worked across the street from my house (and came home for an hour at lunch, so he was only alone for 4 hours at a time) and hated the idea of kenneling him, but he was so destructive due to separation anxiety that it wasn't an option for him to be free. That's when I started to foster. Now that he has a buddy he is much better. To be honest Molly is much more suited to my lifestyle because she is able to come to the barn with me and Toby is too hyper around the horses. That said I love them both and they are best friends!

I don't think it's a terrible thing to leave a dog at home for 8 hours. All the dogs I fostered were starving and sick, they were just happy to have a bowl of food, love and exercise. I don't think it's ideal but maybe you can figure something out with doggie daycare. Right now I go home every 4/5 hours to let my dogs out (and have my mom visit them to let them out for a pee etc), that seems to work great for the dogs :)

Best of luck to you!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just have to say that to the posters who think that because my wife and I work out of the house that we don't care for or love our dogs, you need to get over yourselves.
    My dog is happy (well as much as you can tell whether an animal is happy or not), well-adjusted and well taken care for.
    She greets me at the door when I get home, we play and go for at least two 20-30 minute walks a day, she curls up on the couch next to me in the evening and sleeps on the bed with us at night. She's well fed, cost us a fortune in medical bills for various problems, she's a part of our family.
    Leaving her home while we work is not a bad thing and we're not selfish people. In fact, I would argue that most people who get pets are just the opposite - they want to share their homes and their love with a pet. Whether it's a cat, a dog or whatever. Caring for an animal isn't just making sure their water bowl is full, it's making sure they are loved and all of their needs are met.
    I, personally, am insulted by your insinuations that we are anything but good "parents" and companions to our dog.

THIS!!!!!!!!! Do I particularly like that my dog is alone for 8 hours a day? No of course not. Do I know he's fine and can manage? Yes. Yes, I understands dogs have to pee and poop just like humans. We take him out before we leave and when we get home and then many times after that. Our dog also has medical issues, which have also cost a fortune. If we didn't care or were selfish we would not shell out the hundreds of dollars a month on special pet food for his senstive stomach and bloodwork when we thought he had lymes disease. We leave water for the dog all day.

Get a dog - you will love it and it will love you. Seriously. You work 8 hours a day? Who cares, so do most dog owners. Take the appropriate time to take care of your dog before and after work and he will be your best friend.
  • timjai
    timjai Posts: 113
    Options
    I think you should be looking at 4 dogs at the very least, 2... well, they might fall out and be miserable... 3: what if two gang up against the one?? 4: Less chance of the issues with 3.... to be honest, 7 and you'll be safe and also head of a pack... it'll be as awesome as it sounds.

Oh, make sure one's your favourite so they'll fall in line with aspirations of reaching the top of your walkies list.

You're welcome.
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Simples. Get TWO dogs. :wink:

i like that. they could be friends and never lonely. :smile:
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input so far, following the thread and reading everybodys opinions, much appreciated.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    This is why you have multiple dogs. They are never lonely! :-)

2440110383_607beac56b_z.jpg
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I understand people have working lives/careers, but leaving a single dog for 8hours a day alone is dam right cruel !!!

You are absolutely correct about this. Some people are just ignorant and don't realize that keeping a PACK ANIMAL in solitude for 8 hours a day is cruel. If you can't get a dog walker or doggie day camp then get your dog a companion.

I love all the "i leave my dog alone and he's fine" chatter. Do you expect your dog to send you an email telling you that the isolation and solitude are cruel? People should educate themselves about the social structure of dogs and their general behavior, but I know that many people are just too lazy to put the effort in.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Both cats are rescues, if they get ate by another animal, its called the circle of life and its a tough one.

Wow - I totally accept the 'circle of life' argument for wild animals. But if you have pets, I think it's the owner's job to protect them and care for them - this includes proper veterinary care, proper feeding, proper exercise and ensuring their security and safety.

We clearly have different opinions what the role and treatment of pets should be. And I suppose that's alright. Different strokes for different folks!

Still, I'm glad my dogs have the life they do (naps on the couch, walks around the neighborhood, games of fetch, treats in the evening) instead of an unpredictable, freewheeling farm life where a car might hit them or a coyote might snatch them up.
    we have had the cats for 5 years, saw both of them playing with deer and coyotes in the yard. it was funny. our cats are smart and bad *kitten* with there claws. great hunters. they stay away from cars and farm equipment.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a low energy PAIR of dogs, and if you're finding they're bored, pay a dogwalker to pick them up and take them out the days you're not home. Read up on breeds - some are highly destructive whilst others are not.
  • timjai
    timjai Posts: 113
    Options

You are absolutely correct about this. Some people are just ignorant and don't realize that keeping a PACK ANIMAL in solitude for 8 hours a day is cruel. If you can't get a dog walker or doggie day camp then get your dog a companion.

I love all the "i leave my dog alone and he's fine" chatter. Do you expect your dog to send you an email telling you that the isolation and solitude are cruel? People should educate themselves about the social structure of dogs and their general behavior, but I know that many people are just too lazy to put the effort in.

Make sure you don't fall off of that insanely high horse!! I wish people would leave me alone for 8 hours, some people on the other hand would hate it..... people know their dogs.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Make sure you don't fall off of that insanely high horse!! I wish people would leave me alone for 8 hours, some people on the other hand would hate it..... people know their dogs.

I'm talking about the way dogs are wired socially and require stimulation. In the 8 hours you are alone you're on facebook, MFP..watch tv...read a book...work out....you stimulate yourself and entertain yourself. Let me lock you in a closet every day for a week by yourself and I'll bet your perspective will be slightly different.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:
    you just did judge me by saying that. both cats are rescues, if they get ate by another animal, its called the circle of life and its a tough one.
    [/quote]

Wow...just - wow!
    [/quote]

i grew up on a farm, it hurts but you see a lot of things die and never get used to it. plus thats what we ate for food, you have to shoot a cow and butcher it for food, or when a horse breaks a leg, that is the circle of life.