Dog owners, am i being selfish?

Options

Replies

• mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have a boxer/hound mix that I adopted from a shelter. She has to stay home during the day while I am at work. But when I get home, she is under my feet as soon as I cross the threshold. I take her for walks almost every day and she loves them, and if I don't feel like walking she looks at me until I feel guilty about it (so she's like having a personal trainer). Also, she really likes to run so if I am not in control, she takes ME for a run! Of course I really don't know what is going through her head, but she seems happy even through those sad hounddog eyes. And she has beautiful white teeth, a nice shiny coat, and a thick muscled body---so I think she is healthy.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Simples. Get TWO dogs. :wink:

This! We have a Rottie/Sheperd Mix (Bo) and a Beagle (Daisy). They are best buds!

If you work in the same town, maybe you can go home over lunch to let them potty. Unfortunately I work 45 minutes away so not a possibility for me. But, hubby is home more now. Not everyday, but since he started his own business it is more.
  • christina721
    Options
    Simples. Get TWO dogs. :wink:

This is very true! I leave at 6:30am and don't get home til around 5pm because I live 45mins from work. My roommate has a dog and works around the corner, she comes home at lunch. Either way the dog will love having you come home and they love to cuddle and they are great walking buddies. Doggie day camp is also a good idea a couple times a week (petsmart always sends coupons). Weekends are also our time to spend together. I think it is completely worth it to have a dog to come home to. I have a Shih-poo and she is the best dog ever :)
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're being selfish. Especially if you get a dog from a shelter, they would have a much better life with you even if they did have to be alone for some time during the day. Lots of dogs have to spend time alone while their owners are at work. Also, a pet in general will usually keep your spirits up and may make you more likely to exercise since you need to take the dog out!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many replies! Contrary to most, I would not suggest getting TWO dogs so they can "keep each other company" while you're gone...more likely that they will team up to destroy the house. I would suggest going to the pound and getting an older dog (anything over 2 years)...they will be more mellow, love to snooze all day and party when you get home, etc.
  • SuperSophie73
    SuperSophie73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's what I did. They get along great and we take them both out for walks every night. We're also going to be taking in dogs from a shelter, they are awaiting adoption. So that's another way to go about it. You get to try out having a pooch at home and if you fall in love with one of them, well you just keep it!
    Good luck!
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    Humans need companionship. A dog is the best companion, really. They don't encourage you to go out and drink and binge on bad foods with them because they're not on a diet. When you're sad and alone at home, they will come up and rest their head on your lap and try to comfort you. But they do need you as much as you need them.

If you don't want to invest in doggy-day-care because you'd feel guilty leaving them alone, get them lots of toys or another dog, even, to play with! Be sure to leave them plenty of rations for when you're gone, but other than that...

Get a dog! :) They are the best things you could ever let into your family and heart.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I would adopt an older, rescue dog in your circumstances. I'm thinking 8+ years old, and proven to be able to stay home contentedly for long blocks of time. Older dogs tend to be more tranquil, and rest more during the day. Plus, you would be doing a really good thing adopting a 'less popular' dog from the shelter. Most people want puppies, unfortunately.
  • paulmg1234
    Options
    I don't think it would be selfish at all if you got a dog. I think the dogs at a rescue/shelter are sitting in a cage for 20+ hrs a day. Sounds to me like you'd be a good dog owner.
    I got a dog a year ago and thought I made a big mistake for the first month. I loved her but she was a lot more work than I realized. Now, after a year, I know that I made a great decision and she is such a loved part of my family.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I would adopt an older, rescue dog in your circumstances. I'm thinking 8+ years old, and proven to be able to stay home contentedly for long blocks of time. Older dogs tend to be more tranquil, and rest more during the day. Plus, you would be doing a really good thing adopting a 'less popular' dog from the shelter. Most people want puppies, unfortunately.

Exactly what I was going to say. An older, rescue dog would be perfect for you I think.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    I adopted mine from the local shelter. Get a pal,you will be so glad you did. I am a widower,and he is my best bud,since my wife passed away. :-)
  • 88felicia88
    Options
    No, you are not selfish, especially if you go get a dog from the pound. I am away from home 9 hours a day with my commute. My dog Roscoe does just fine (australian shepherd mix). I think as long as you give the dog a nice walk when you come home most days he'll be happy as a clam. Just get the right dog, no border collies and the like. Most dogs at the pound are mixed breeds, pick one who is friendly, the size you want, and one the employees like. Good luck and have fun with your furry friend!
  • bigsisterdice
    Options
    simple solution - hire a dog walker during the day to let them out to potty and get some of their wiggles out :) im a dog walker in the cleveland area and i typically charge $10-15 per visit - a small investment for the owners to get the peace of mind knowing that their fur babies dont have to be doing the potty dance all day long! try care.com or sittercity.com :D

despite what others might say - it is NOT ok to leave a dog alone for that long without a bathroom break!!! even if they are "ok" and didnt have an accident while you were gone, holding it for that long can do incredibly harmful damage to your poor dogs insides! please please please do not let any dog suffer like that!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Consider fostering a dog as a 'test run'.

THIS!!!! Perfect idea! Save a life, help a rescue and don't line the pockets of puppy mill owners.

My baby boy is at home for a good 8 hours everyday as well and he is fine, give them toys and treats, get a hollowed bone and put peanut butter in the middle, it keeps them busy for hours.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I have two dogs. I work 8 hours a day and I can not afford any kind of day care for them. The pooches have the run of the entire foyer AND kitchen! They are not cooped up in a cage at all. They have 4+ beds to choose from, puppy pads, water, food, and basic toys. They are just fine and hold their business until I get home!

When I get home, they have a huge yard to run around in :) I tell them before I leave every morning, "If mommy doesn't work, you babies will not eat!" They give kisses before I leave... they get it :wink:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Consider fostering a dog as a 'test run'.

THIS is an excellent idea! I just adopted my last foster. And also whoever said get two, that's an excellent idea, too. :bigsmile: Just remember a dog is for a lifetime, so you have to figure on committing to 15ish years, depending on the size. Could be longer, hopefully not shorter.
  • hartsell72
    Options
    I agree with getting an older RESCUE dog, please Adopt and Don't Shop! As long as when you are home you give him/her lots of attention and exercise, it's not mean to leave them...i can not believe some people think leaving them alone to work is cruel. if that was the case 75% of dog owners wouldnt have dogs. Another suggestion is finding a neighbor who would be willing to either let them out once in the middle of the day or to take them for a short walk. A senior or high schooler would be a great option, maybe offer some cash or a trade (mowing their yard for them walking your dog, etc) Please share pics of your new friend if you decide to adopt one =)
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't have time for a puppy so I would say adopt a older dog. Aslo get a breed that doesn't mind long times alone and that isn't real hyper or needs alot of run time.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea to take on a dog knowing that it will be left for such a long time.

I had a similar dilemma myself a couple of years ago - I did get a dog, an 18month old rescued Podenco but I arranged to work from home most of the time and I employed a dog walker for those days when I would be out. I lost my job a bit later on and now I couldn't be happier about having a dog, there's been some days when she's the only thing keeping me going. Like you I live alone and just this week she saw off an intruder in the garden, very reassuring! Lots of people have dogs which are left and some adjust well, but others don't and they end up being rehomed or worse because of behavioural problems.

So I'd say go for it; but an adult not a puppy, and factor in having a dog minder - it's too big a risk otherwise.

Good luck!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Both cats are rescues, if they get ate by another animal, its called the circle of life and its a tough one.

Wow - I totally accept the 'circle of life' argument for wild animals. But if you have pets, I think it's the owner's job to protect them and care for them - this includes proper veterinary care, proper feeding, proper exercise and ensuring their security and safety.

We clearly have different opinions what the role and treatment of pets should be. And I suppose that's alright. Different strokes for different folks!

Still, I'm glad my dogs have the life they do (naps on the couch, walks around the neighborhood, games of fetch, treats in the evening) instead of an unpredictable, freewheeling farm life where a car might hit them or a coyote might snatch them up.