REAL MFP women, weight training Befores and Afters

Options

Replies

• DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    Ladies who follow the New Rules of Weightlifting -- What kind of equipment does it require? A full gym, or just free weights?
    New Rules of Lifting for women? How does that work?

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a book by Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe, and Alwyn Cosgrove. It's promise? LIFT LIKE A MAN, LOOK LIKE A GODDESS.

The basic premise is that in order to truly change your body, you have to do real "heavy" lifting, not starve yourself, and that the focus should be on health and strength and the body you want will follow.

The book is broken down into sections on nutrition and exercise science to explain the ideas and philosophies about the program, especially to help you understand why lifting "barbie weights" isn't working and why you probably need to rearrange your macros (protien, carbs, fats) and eat more than 1200 calories a day to see a change. There is also a portion dedicated to suggested meals/plans, but I'm personally not using those. The last portion is a 7 stage workout program, designed to increase strength. It has descriptions and pictures of the moves, and is designed to be done 2-3 times a week for about 6 months in order to complete it.

I had a set back over my recent vacation, but I am about halfway through Stage 1, and I am already feeling way stronger! I can't wait to get back on track and complete this!

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332435741&sr=8-1
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how long it took you ladies to start seeing results?

My problem is just finding time. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week but that only to slide about 30-60minutes of cardio in. I dont have much more time than that!

So ditch the cardio! All you need is 30min lifting 3 times a week. That's all New Rules Phase 1 takes.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Ok so I need to take new progress pics but these are the results I saw in about a month and a half - after I finished Stage 1 of New Rules of Lifting for Women... keep in mind I only lost 1.5 pounds.

I have recently finished Stage 2 and am interested in comparing the difference!

MyPictures119-1-1-1.jpg

MyPictures123-1-1-1.jpg

MyPictures122-1-1-1.jpg

Nice! Great improvement in only 2 months. Really!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    bump... to look at all the great pics :)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

My problem is just finding time. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week but that only to slide about 30-60minutes of cardio in. I dont have much more time than that!

during training I went 5-6 times a week, taking a day of rest each week. In that 5-6 days I did half an hour of cardio and half an hour of lifting, alternating days of lifting upper and lower body.

ETA: I saw (teeny tiny) results in a month and competed within 4 months of starting - granted that was combined with cleaning up my diet, too. Oh, and looking back I was nowhere near ready to compete, but said I would, so I went through with it. I'll be for real ready next time.
  • jerjan
    jerjan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Muscles are beautiful. I can't wait to tone up .
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! What a difference! Your abs ROCK!!!

Thanks!! :flowerforyou: I had to step away from the scale since it refused to budge for so long... I think seeing the difference in pictures is way more rewarding than a number on the scale anyways.

ETA: I started seeing results in just under 2 months... but I FELT better and stronger only a week or two into the program!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    So exciting!!! What a great thread... I'll be following this one. I'm only a month and half into lifting heavy. So, I don't think my pics would show too much of a difference... and I haven't even taken any after pics yet! But... I aspire to post my own eventually. You ladies are truly amazing and such an inspiration! Thanks for posting :)
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    I just so went and bought " The new rules of lifting for women" for my kindle app...

Guess I better start tonight with my before picture!

I just hate going over to the "mens" side of the gym where all the weight lifters are grunting and bumping.. I always feel so out of place and feel like everyone is looking at me :( Oh well...

I felt like that too when I started mid-january... you'll get used to it! Also, you'll start to notice that many guys are mainly just standing in your way BSing with thier friends ;)
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I started out doing only cardio about 4 months ago, lost around 8 lbs, but was still very soft everywhere. The 140is pics are after losing weight from cardio... started lifting weights including the New Rules for Lifting program around 6 weeks ago... lost a few more lbs, not many... but I think lifting weights is starting to change my body shape. :) Everyone looks fantastic! Strong is sexy! :happy:

IMAG0283-1-1.jpg
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Do this program instead of the cardio then. Cardio is good for endurance and Heart health but for losing weight you can achieve your required caloric deficit from diet alone, no need for cardio to lose fat; for weight loss cardio just allows you to eat more to achieve the same deficit.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! What a difference! Your abs ROCK!!!

Thanks!! :flowerforyou: I had to step away from the scale since it refused to budge for so long... I think seeing the difference in pictures is way more rewarding than a number on the scale anyways.

ETA: I started seeing results in just under 2 months... but I FELT better and stronger only a week or two into the program!

Absolutely! I think with that with changes like that you never need to look at the scales. You look like you've lost stones, and your shape is incredible.

I can already see a slight change in my stomach and arms (they stop waving when I do now!) :laugh: I can't wait to post my after photos!
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Ladies who follow the New Rules of Weightlifting -- What kind of equipment does it require? A full gym, or just free weights?
    New Rules of Lifting for women? How does that work?

New Rules of Lifting for Women is a book by Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe, and Alwyn Cosgrove. It's promise? LIFT LIKE A MAN, LOOK LIKE A GODDESS.

The basic premise is that in order to truly change your body, you have to do real "heavy" lifting, not starve yourself, and that the focus should be on health and strength and the body you want will follow.

The book is broken down into sections on nutrition and exercise science to explain the ideas and philosophies about the program, especially to help you understand why lifting "barbie weights" isn't working and why you probably need to rearrange your macros (protien, carbs, fats) and eat more than 1200 calories a day to see a change. There is also a portion dedicated to suggested meals/plans, but I'm personally not using those. The last portion is a 7 stage workout program, designed to increase strength. It has descriptions and pictures of the moves, and is designed to be done 2-3 times a week for about 6 months in order to complete it.

I had a set back over my recent vacation, but I am about halfway through Stage 1, and I am already feeling way stronger! I can't wait to get back on track and complete this!

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332435741&sr=8-1

Thanks for the reply. can you do this at home with free weights?
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You all look amazing and I'd love to look like any one of you. Thanks for posting and giving me hope that all this lifting I've started to do will pay off in the long run.
  • Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Do you all lift at the gym, or does anyone lift at home? I'd love to start, but not sure I have the time right now for the gym. I'm just starting to work out and I could get some weights for at home.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Do you all lift at the gym, or does anyone lift at home? I'd love to start, but not sure I have the time right now for the gym. I'm just starting to work out and I could get some weights for at home.

I started this program at home, but couldnt get too far with it since I didnt have the proper weights. They do offer alternate exercises you can do if you dont have all the equipment though.

Personally, I found I was changing up too many of the moves, and I really wanted to commit to doing it right so I just sucked it up and started doing it at the gym.

Do what feels right for you though! :flowerforyou:
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've heard about the New Rules of Lifting book, but didn't have a lot of interest in it. I have to say though, that after reading this thread and seeing everyone's pictures I'm really inspired and I just bought the book for my kindle! I'm going to start reading it on my breaks at work and hope to start lifting heavy once I finish moving in early April. You gals are all awesome and a great inspiration! Muscles are way sexy! :love:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    ae2bdbc8.jpg

48406f75.jpg

9fe0cb22.jpg

e8d60f22.jpg

the pictures in the green sports bra are from p90x, the other pictures are from New Rules of Lifting for Women and now i'm doing crossfit...but that is a work in progress!

well crap...all the "after" pictures are cut off...stupid photo bucket.

Here is a close up on my abs:

18ebb735.jpg

And my "after" picture taken on Monday with CrossFit results. Also, I ate vegetarian in all the above pictures, but Paleo in this one....Paleo is AWESOME!!!!

18ebb735.jpg
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    COLLAGE.jpgcollage1.jpgMFPMARCH4-1.jpglegs6-1.jpg[img][/img]legs8-1-1.jpg
    http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc62/HJRZJZ/MFPMARCH-1.jpg
    MFPMARCH3-1.jpg

started around 165lbs got down to 125 and now im 17-17.5% BF weighing 135lbs- 5'4"
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    COLLAGE.jpgcollage1.jpgMFPMARCH4-1.jpglegs6-1.jpgMFPMARCH-1.jpg
    MFPMARCH3-1.jpg

go Holly! Looking like aRockstar, gorgeous!!