How do you feel about Diet Soda?

Options

Replies

• Jlongblade
    Jlongblade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I could and have drank between 4 & 14 liters of Diet Pepsi a week, I have noticed that when I drink it I retain a lot of water due to the sodium in it, but if I drink alot of water it helps off set. I have cut back to 2-3 liters per week.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Just gave it up 5 days ago - hasn't really phased me, to be honest. I did it so I would focus more on water and I've been having ALOT of dental issues the last few years and figure the acid isn't really helping.
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    What about the sodium in Diet Soda causing water retention compared to just drinking water instead....? I mean, it's only 40 but multiply that times 10-12 cans a day! Woah! Not sure if there is truth to this.

Just thought I'd ask. :)

Luckly (or unluckly), I am on a blood pressure med that is a diuretic and the extra water leaves me anyway! Hey, maybe if I didn't drink soda, I wouldn't need the BP meds!! LOL!:devil:
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    Diet soda encourages you to eat more, since there is so little satisfaction derived from diet soda. The only acceptable artificial sweetener is derived from stevia and is considered a natural sweetener. Aspartame, nutrisweet, splenda, saccharin and the other artificial sweeteners are not considered safe sweeteners. One should use caution when selecting diet soda and diet drinks to be sure they are selecting safe drinks.

There are also issues with regular soda, the only safe sodas are the ones made with sugar, high fructose cane sugar (HFCS) is not a safe sweetener and is banned in most of the rest of the world, except for the US. Research is showing that HFCS leads to obesity and as everyone knows, obesity is rampant in the US and Canada.

Quote your source please!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have a Diet Coke every day with lunch. Sometimes 2, depending on what we have for dinner.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste good to me and never has. But I also don't like the taste of regular pop anymore either. The exception being Ginger Ale, which I only drink when I'm having a hangover. Health-wise, you can drink whatever you want in moderation and still be healthy/keep a nice weight. Taste-wise, pop, in general, doesn't appeal to me anymore.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I still drink it. I have one coke zero almost everyday in the afternoon. I'm a teacher and I need that pick me up in the afternoon. I drink water the rest of the day otherwise.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I feel that diet soda is bad for me because it tastes like *kitten*. That, and it doesn't go well with Jack.

CHEERS :drinker:
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I know its bad for me, but I can't stay away. I drink at least five cans a week.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I feel that diet soda is bad for me because it tastes like *kitten*. That, and it doesn't go well with Jack.

Doesn't go well with rum either

this is just untrue. rum and diet is one of my favorite go-to bevs.

*she says as she also sips on her coke zero...*
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many different views on drinking Diet Soda. How do you feel about it and why do you feel that way?

-- gatorgirlyyy

i feel i could use one right now. preferably mixed with vanilla vodka.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    wish i could completely kick the habit and not drink it any more!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I see what you did there...

Would you call that drink a "Jack *kitten*?"
    sorry, somebody had to say it...
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I mainly drink diet soda when I'm drinking alcohol as a mixer. If I have sugary mixers I get a major headache the next day. Vodka and diet cokes, or rum and diet cokes, or jack and diet cokes, that does not happen with me.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My favorite diet soda is Diet Dr Pepper. From the company''s website:

Diet Dr Pepper
    Nutritional Facts

Size: 8 FL OZ (240ML)

Calories: 0
    Total Fat (g): 0
    Sodium (mg): 35
    Total Carbs (g): 0
    Sugars (g): 0
    Protien (g): 0

So the questions for me personally are:

1. How do caramel colored drinks affect my urinary tract?
    2. How does aspartame affect my body?
    3. How does the sound of burping affect my co-workers? <grin>

I personally have to choose my caramel colored drinks because of a predisposition to UTIs and kidney stones. Also, since I quit drinking or eating foods with equal or splenda type sweeteners, I seem to have developed some adverse reactions to them when I introduce them into my diet again. So I don't.

My co-workers? They put up with my burping because they don't want my job. LOL!
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I work in a restaurant, so when I want a cold drink, I usually choose Diet Coke. It just takes too much time (that I don't have when we're busy) to make unsweet tea taste the way I like it. That being said, I consume an insane amount of black coffee. I'm diabetic, and I've found that consuming coffee keeps me away from full-sugar sodas. This is a choice I make based on my personal needs, and I feel that should be the case for everyone. I also find that I drink far less soda when I choose diet; regular soda makes me want more and more because the taste is so good. Not the best idea for my blood sugar!
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I'm not drinking caffeine right now so that sums up my answer.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste so rarely drink it (only at an event where there was little else offered). The limited research showing risks from too much soda worry me because my husband drinks Diet Coke like they are about stop making it. I really don't know if it's harmful or not, which is what is so worrisome.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I had to cut back on diet soda once I realized the aspartame was one of the things causing my migraines.

Noticed I said "cut back"! Still have it when whenever dine out (two or three times a week) and will have a can of diet coke w/ Splenda when I need a caffeine kick. :tongue:
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't mind Diet Coke. It certainly tastes a lot sweeter than regular Coke and leaves a weird aftertaste sometimes. I only drink it once in awhile, if I'm eating something and I get thirsty for something other than pop. I'll want the carbination and Coke taste but don't want the extra calories. But like I said, it's extremely rare when I drink Diet Coke or Pepsi.