Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• lunarastro
    lunarastro Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I tried them and cooked them just how you described (dry fry). I added some siracha, soy, and garlic. The flavor was fine, but I could NOT get past the texture. It felt like I was chewing rubber bands. I keppt chewing to see if things changed, but it only made it feel like I was chewing smaller rubber bands. I could hear the "squeak" of the noodles in my skull while I was chewing! Freaked me out a little and I never got past that first bite. Just dumped it in the trash. Do you have any sugesstions on how to make tham less rubbery?
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can come back and read this, I'm interested.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    That would be perfect for me if so!!!! Can we get them mostly anywhere? I'm in the Ottawa area (Canada)
  • jan5555
    jan5555 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    thanks! going to try this.
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    RavenKellie, I'm in Toronto and we have them in our korean super markets; I'd be surprised if you couldn't find them in Ottawa :)
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    RavenKellie, I'm in Toronto and we have them in our korean super markets; I'd be surprised if you couldn't find them in Ottawa :)
  • byrdamy
    byrdamy Posts: 40
    Options
    bump
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    In Australia, we have Slim Pasta ( same stuff) in Angel hair and spaghetti noodles ( in health food section at Woolworths and also Changs wok ready low cal gluten free (same stuff) - the one packed in fluid , in the noodle aisle at Woolworths and Coles. Changs is cheaper than the other one. :)
  • j_emerson
    j_emerson Posts: 48
    Options
    bump
  • alphabetsalad
    alphabetsalad Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this great and informative post! I've had the tofu shirataki noodles, and enjoyed them, but didn't realize that there was an even LOWER calorie version out there! I'll have to see if I can find them in my city, and will also have to try the dry-fry method you described. (When I made the noodles I just cooked them into chicken noodle soup, which was good too - but I like having options!)
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I tried them and cooked them just how you described (dry fry). I added some siracha, soy, and garlic. The flavor was fine, but I could NOT get past the texture. It felt like I was chewing rubber bands. I keppt chewing to see if things changed, but it only made it feel like I was chewing smaller rubber bands. I could hear the "squeak" of the noodles in my skull while I was chewing! Freaked me out a little and I never got past that first bite. Just dumped it in the trash. Do you have any sugesstions on how to make tham less rubbery?

You could try a different brand or a different noodle. If you tried shirataki and didn't like it you might prefer tofu shirataki.

I've never had any taste like rubber bands, though. Since it's made of vegetable and not grain the texture won't ever be the same but it's reasonably close.

Your best bet is to add enough other textures that you won't focus on the noodle texture. You could stir fry in some bean sprouts, bok choy, celery, broccoli, meat-- you name it.

I've also known some people to use 50% pasta and 50% shirataki. You don't end up with zero calories, of course, but you still cut the calories in half.

Try this:

1) dry fry 1 or 2 package(s) of shirataki noodles with 1/2 onion (chopped) and 1/2 bell pepper (chopped)
    2) when they're done, add 2 oz of steak (cut up small), some bok choy, broccoli, bean sprouts, garlic powder and the sauce(s) of your choice. (I would use a smidge of sesame oil and some teriyaki sauce).
    3) When they're nearly done, beat one egg and stir fry it in.
    4) Spray a little buttery spray on, for good measure.
    5) Since you like hot stuff, don't forget the chili powder.

Your calories will be (roughly): shirataki noodles (0), steak (100), bok choy (10), broccoli (50), onion (20), bell pepper (20), bean sprouts (20), garlic powder (1), sesame oil (20), teriyaki sauce (10), egg (70), buttery spray (0)

Total will be about 321 calories-- and the texture shouldn't bother you a bit!

Let me know how you make out.

-Chelle
  • alphabetsalad
    alphabetsalad Posts: 24 Member
    Options
  • roxy_dolly
    roxy_dolly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I cooked with these for the first time ever last night! Amazing! I only ordered 3 packs online (even though it's cheaper to buy in bulk) as I didn't want a cupboard full of the things if they were awful. For a start, the water they were packed in didn't smell at all (I was prepared for the fishy smell) and I followed your advice and dry fried them for a while. Then I set them aside and used low cal oil spray to fry some onion, garlic, one raw chopped chicken breast and yellow peppers, with plenty of different seasonings and some dried chilli flakes. Threw the noodles back in for the last few minutes with some steamed brocolli a dash of soy sauce and I had a wok full of food! I think I have a pretty big appetite and I have enough leftover for a good part of my dinner this evening.

I'm almost worried they're too good to be true and it's all a con haha. I had a stir fry the night before using fresh egg noodles, and while of course the texture is different (more similar to rice noodles which are actually more calorific than egg noodles) it was just as tasty and filling with at least 200cals less and way fewer carbs.

Placing my bulk order now and spreading the word. THANK YOU!!!!
  • finallychelle
    Options

Great blog post! It sounds like you made quite the delicious meal!
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I cooked with these for the first time ever last night! Amazing! I only ordered 3 packs online (even though it's cheaper to buy in bulk) as I didn't want a cupboard full of the things if they were awful. For a start, the water they were packed in didn't smell at all (I was prepared for the fishy smell) and I followed your advice and dry fried them for a while. Then I set them aside and used low cal oil spray to fry some onion, garlic, one raw chopped chicken breast and yellow peppers, with plenty of different seasonings and some dried chilli flakes. Threw the noodles back in for the last few minutes with some steamed brocolli a dash of soy sauce and I had a wok full of food! I think I have a pretty big appetite and I have enough leftover for a good part of my dinner this evening.

I'm almost worried they're too good to be true and it's all a con haha. I had a stir fry the night before using fresh egg noodles, and while of course the texture is different (more similar to rice noodles which are actually more calorific than egg noodles) it was just as tasty and filling with at least 200cals less and way fewer carbs.

Placing my bulk order now and spreading the word. THANK YOU!!!!

Yum! No fair making me hungry-- this is supposed to be a dieting site!

Awesome job!

-Chelle
  • blkanmld
    blkanmld Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Where did you buy these online??
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Well, thank you, dieter chelle! You sound like a knowledgeable, helpful lady! I'll keep an eye out for shirataki noodles.
  • pattesterman
    pattesterman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • azbunnytracks
    Options
    I LOVE these noodles!! I have to feel full, too, and they do the trick. The texture is not like wheat noodles, but I like it anyway. It's about broadening your palate!
  • lissrn
    lissrn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump