Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I still can't find these in any local stores and we don't have any specialty stores near by. I think I am going to have to order some online because I am dying to try them!

I found some Tofu shirataki today!! I was wondering how long they are good for once they are opened? If I use half a package in a recipe would the other half be ok for a few days in the fridge?
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ok.. so i found these shirataki noodles that you all keep talking about... they were an extreme chore to find. I did them up for supper tonight. I rinsed them to get rid of the smell. cooked up some chicken breast and when i 'dry fried' my noodles i added some teriyaki sauce. They arent too bad but my hubby and i found them rubbery/chewy did i do something wrong? Did i not cook then long enough or over cook them? How long are they suppose to fry for and how do i know they are done right?
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Saving for later!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Ok.. so i found these shirataki noodles that you all keep talking about... they were an extreme chore to find. I did them up for supper tonight. I rinsed them to get rid of the smell. cooked up some chicken breast and when i 'dry fried' my noodles i added some teriyaki sauce. They arent too bad but my hubby and i found them rubbery/chewy did i do something wrong? Did i not cook then long enough or over cook them? How long are they suppose to fry for and how do i know they are done right?

Truthfully, the texture is not exactly like pasta because they're made from vegetable rather than grain. The texture should still be reasonably close, though. What brand are you using?

You could try cooking them longer.

Other solutions:
    1) Try stir frying with vegetables of different textures, like bok choy, bean sprouts, celery, carrots, etc. If you have enough variety of textures then the texture of the shirataki noodles will become more of a "background" thing rather than something you're constantly aware of.

One you eat them a few times you'll be used to the texture being slightly different and you won't think about it at all.

Good luck!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Just tried my angel hair shirataki noodles last night. I was a little put off by the fishy smell. pee eew. I dry-fried them with a little cooking spray and tossed them with a little garlic and topped them with my homemade spaghetti sauce and voila, skinny sgetti! delish! can't wait to find more ways to make them.

Yay!!!

Follow the links in his post to my MFP blog and you'll find lots of ways to cook them.

There are also lots more ways listed on the internet.

They're so versatile!

-Chelle
  • Kishykat
    Kishykat Posts: 8
    Options
    I just had them last night. I was worried because I didn't think my mind would be able to let go of the smell, even though after rinsing a couple of times it went away.

But I was wrong. I sauteed them up with some garlic, tossed some shrimp in and then threw on a touch of teriyaki and I have a new go to meal!!
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I've read through virtually all the posts here and i don't think anyone has asked yet: how many servings are in a bag? i know its an 8oz bag which is usually 4 servings, but does that weight include the water? Would a bag be enough for 3 or 4 people? Also do these noodles come dry-packed without the water in them? Thanks

Most servings are considered to be 2oz.

That said, I've found that some brands play fast and loose with the listed net weight.

House Foods, which makes the tofu shirataki noodles, lists 8oz as their drained weight-- and that's exactly what you get.

There's another brand I use (a Japanese brand) that lists 7oz but the drained weight is really only between 5 and 5-1/2 oz.

I factor that in, now, when I compare prices. Lately I've been getting the tofu shirataki noodles for $1.35/8oz bag and the shirataki noodles for $1.26/7oz bag. I also get the 1 lbs bag for $1.99.

If you're having trouble finding these noodles where you live you might want to consider becoming a wholesaler and sell them in your community. They have a pretty long shelf life (months) so it shouldn't be too hard to move them.

-Chelle
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I bought my shirataki noodles from Amazon, miracle noodle brand. Got a 6-pack 3 angel hair and 3 fettuccini. I tried the angel hair with my homemade spaghetti sauce and had what I call "skinny sghetti" and the texture wan't bad, you have to remember that you aren't actually eating a noodle, but a veggie in a noodle disguise. They have a more aldente feel to them. I was so happy to have some spaghetti again! My sister found a different brand at the Hy-Vee in Belton, Mo, incase any of you are close to us. I haven't checked out this brand yet, but will when it's time to shop for more.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I've read loads about these noodles and was keen to try. Only way I could find thyem was on line. Not cheap, but sure to be worth it... Hahahaha.
    I ordered them at the beginning of JANUARY from someone on Amazon. they never arrived. No one was able to do anything about it, so I am £32 worsed off and have still never tried the darned things. :explode:
  • Cwilbanks12105
    Cwilbanks12105 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    So I finally went to the asian market and got some of these. Just tried them, and they were eh lol. I don't know why but for some reason I couldn't get any seasoning to stick to them. No matter how much salt or whatever I put on them I could never taste it it's like it just fell off. And personally I just can't get over the texture, but I'm very picky when it comes to stuff like that. Like 90% of why I don't like most vegetables is because of their texture.
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just found the tofu shrataki noodles at my little Price Chopper!!
  • nikit32
    nikit32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just tried to dry fry these noodles and im not sure if I did this right. They started to shrivel up? I had it on high and had them on about 7 minutes or so. Its almost like they started disappearing!
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I just tried to dry fry these noodles and im not sure if I did this right. They started to shrivel up? I had it on high and had them on about 7 minutes or so. Its almost like they started disappearing!

What brand are you using? They'll obviously dewater a little-- that's our goal-- but they shouldn't do so excessively! Just enough to improve the texture.
  • cali_co
    cali_co Posts: 38
    Options
    Bump! I have some in my fridge so now I know what I'm doing with them!
  • klmsmock
    klmsmock Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump =)
  • bethb03
    bethb03 Posts: 96
    Options
    bumpity bump bump!
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thank you for the idea of dry frying--- texture is a huge factor for me. I think this will make the difference!!
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been posted. I had to gogle what this noodle was and came across this
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/10-calorie-miracle-shirataki-noodle-chocolate-cookie-198247/

Thought you guys might be daring enough to try it... a 10 cal chocolate cookie made with these noodles... WHAT WHAT! If anyone tries it out, please post!
  • jlanderson01
    jlanderson01 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, I've been wanting to try these!!