Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• cairanya
    cairanya Posts: 1
    Options
    Was anyone else reminded of Good Omens' Four Horsemen when they first heard about this?
  • Lmfloyd28
    Lmfloyd28 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Someone in Houston needs to tell me where to find these things. This city is huge and we also have a huge Asian community, but we haven't found them yet (obviously we're looking at the wrong stores.) We tried a Whole Foods down by Rice and they didn't have them, tried Fiesta and no luck there and a couple Asian markets, but there are a million more Asian markets to check out. Ideally I'd like to find some place on the NW end of town.

Grace's Health Food store at 2920/45 carries them.
  • NickyJones
    NickyJones Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just had some of the block version broken into parts in my soup for lunch :)

My Japanese coworkers told me about a year ago I'd make a fortune selling shirataki noodles and konnyaku (the blocky version) in the US as diet food. Too bad someone's already beat me to the punch! :laugh:
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump it :glasses:
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My apologies if this has been addressed because I didn't read through all the previous posts, but I don't understand how they can be both 0 calories . . . and food. Is there any nutrition in them? Not knocking them, I'd like to give them a try, but if they do not contain carbs, protein or fat, are they food?

There are many veggies that have virtually zero calories and these noodles are made from one of those veggies.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I just bought these on ebay because of your post and my hunger for pasta. On ebay a seller from UK sells them for a high price much more than USA. Where can I find them at a reasonable price on the Internet that will ship to Europe? Thank You for sharing this, I sure hope this works. I bought fettuccine,angel hair and rice. Dry fry means no oil right?

Do you dry fry the rice also? Please tell us how do you dry fry rice?

I want you to know you are the first post I have responded too,other than joining with others to report someone insulting another very cruelly. I am new and just read and kinda shy but grateful for all people at MFP sharing and seeing I am not the only one with the battle against the scale sure makes it easier each day to continue low carb. You encourage me you lost 64 lbs I know I can also. That is my next goal.
  • judyblackwidow
    Options
    bump
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump; I've gotta find these noodles!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just bought these on ebay because of your post and my hunger for pasta. On ebay a seller from UK sells them for a high price much more than USA. Where can I find them at a reasonable price on the Internet that will ship to Europe? Thank You for sharing this, I sure hope this works. I bought fettuccine,angel hair and rice. Dry fry means no oil right?

Do you dry fry the rice also? Please tell us how do you dry fry rice?

I want you to know you are the first post I have responded too,other than joining with others to report someone insulting another very cruelly. I am new and just read and kinda shy but grateful for all people at MFP sharing and seeing I am not the only one with the battle against the scale sure makes it easier each day to continue low carb. You encourage me you lost 64 lbs I know I can also. That is my next goal.

If you go to miraclenoodle.com you might be able to find a cheaper source. (Otherwise you should consider getting into the business-- seriously! There are so many people in the UK with the exact same complaint!)

I haven't been able to find the rice, yet, but I'm sure you could dry fry it exactly the same way as the noodles. It's the same thing-- just cut smaller.

Yay for you getting over your shyness! Please stick around-- there are lots of smart people around here who can help you on your weight loss journey!

Good luck!

-Chelle
  • viannee
    viannee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! There's a Japanese grocery store that just opened recently and I have been meaning to check it out.

I have a feeling I might like this a lot because of the chewy texture. I love glass noodles and I read here, it has the same texture!
  • 4leggedmom
    4leggedmom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If there are any Canadians that live in BC, AB or ON, these can be found at T&T supermarket. They carry both Tofu and non-tofu versions of this noodle. I bought mine for $1.59 a pack.
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I recently fell in love with these. The first time I tried, I must have not done something right because it didn't get rid of the smell and I just didn't like it. However, I gave it a second go and I must have gotten it right that time because it was INCREDIMAZING! Having some tonight. Yummy! Will try the dry fry!
  • BOOMSAS
    BOOMSAS Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, first post here hehe I just use the site to calorie count.

Anyway in Australia or atleast in Melbourne they sell them at woolworths/safeway. They're in the health food section near the gluten free pasta and are called 'slim pasta'. Google them they have a website where you can buy them online too. But yes the normal supermarket sells these and I'm pretty sure they're the exact same thing as shirataki noodles. Just with a different name.
  • Wanda66
    Wanda66 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. I'm going to check out T & T for these.
  • mkutkowski
    mkutkowski Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting! My husband and I saw these noodles online some time ago claiming to be zero calories, and we were far too skeptical to try them (especially since my husband, being Italian, is somewhat of a pasta snob). Now that I've been properly educated, we WILL give them a go. Thanks again!

Melissa
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this!! I have a couple bags in the pantry and didn't know what to do with them. I'll be trying your dry-fry method today!! I LOVE noodles...this could be a life-changer!!!
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    LOVE Shirataki noodles and together with PB2 or Peanut Flour they make one HELLUVA spicy-peanut-noodle dish!
  • jazzrose007
    jazzrose007 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks, gonna give it a try.
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Chelle, I've been looking into them myself. However, i don't know where to buy them. I have seen them online, but... Where do you buy them? And have you tried the rice variety, too?
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for turning us on to these...my whole family is addicted to them.