Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I stopped in at our local grocery store to pick some up... and low and behold they carried a new shape - noodles like rigatoni! Woo!

Boiled then dry fried... Still a bit chewy but I don't think you could ever get rid of that.

Since even pasta rigatoni is chewy I can only imagine how chewy shirataki rigatoni would be...!

That said, my favorite noodles are actually the fettuccine tofu shirataki noodles-- and they're a little chewier, too, so go figure...

-Chelle

I really don't mind chewy. Kind of reminds me of thai rice noodles. So far I have only cooked them in asian style dishes, because there are so many other textures in there. I'm not sure how it would be with just a tomato sauce or cheese sauce with nothing else.

I like them a lot mixed with tomato sauce with ground meat / morningstar crumbles and a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella!
    SOOO good!!!
  • happydayzz
    happydayzz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you finallychelle! I looked at your mouth-watering recipes and drooled over them for weeks, and finally went out and bought some shirataki noodles (no tofu) of my own! Last night I made them, and I LOVED THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!the first time i ever tried making them about a year ago, I hated them-they were slimy, fishy, and chewy. But I tried your dry-fry method, and they tasted EXACTLY LIKE RICE NOODLES/RAMEN. I had no problem eating them, and trust me, that is saying a lot since I am quite a picky eater....^^ I dry-fried them for about 8-10 minutes I believe, and they got a lot smaller and more noodle-like in texture! I might actually dry-fry them less just so have a little more size to them, but the way I made it was perfect to absorb what I added, which was....*drumroll*
    3/4 cup of NO Sugar added Tomato and Basil Sauce from Ragu, 2 fresh garlic cloves, diced, and tomato/basil/garlic seasonsing from mrs. dash! (with some garlic powder+pepper for taste). It. Was. Divine. (and 100 calories, cuz the noodles I used had none) THe noodles, because I had dry-fried them like you recommended, absorbed the pasta sauce very well (maybe even a little too well lol) and it was very simple to make.
    I had been missing pasta so much, but now I found the perfect replacement! Next time I might even do two bags for myself!!!!!
    PEOPLE. DO NOT BE AFRIAD OF THESE NOODLES LIKE I WAS. if you hold your nose while rinsing them, and dry fry until you hear a slight squeaking noise/you see the moisture has left them, THESE ARE AS GOOD AS ANY RAMEN/RICE noodle.

Once again, thanks. :) Looking forward to new recipes!!!
  • Astefanie
    Astefanie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I tried your dry fry method and put a 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce over top. It is sooo worth it! I even taste tested it on my 8 year and she practically confiscated my "spaghetti".
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I came across this thread a 2 weeks ago and found some Shirataki (Yam Noodle) at a Korean H Mart by me. I finally had a chance to prep them tonight. I was grilling some chicken breasts on my Gorge Foreman grill and decided to put them on the grill. To say the least, they were yummy! I had the whole intire package 1lb (453g) with some Salsa as sauce. These are heaven sent! I gotta remember to get some spaghetti sauce for next time!!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    We had already had the Tofu version when I found this thread, with marinara sauce. I didn't really smell anything with them. They were the HG brand. My husband is not horribly fond of fish, so I rinsed them multiple times in the bag then put them in a bowl of water in the microwave for 1 minute and then drained and put the hot marinara over the top. Really tasty, a little chewy but really tasty.

We also had bought a block of the plain. THAT was interesting. They did have a fishy smell, but not strong and I like fish so, didn't really bother me at all. However, there's always one of those isn't there, I did encounter problems. I was able to slice the block thin on my mandolin... for a few passes, then it quit going through the blade and would just move out of the way instead. So I went to my knife. Stacking the wider thin pieces I had I cut them in strips though they did not want to stay stacked. Did a stirfry, putting them in the pan w/onions, olive oil (we're out of coconut oil) and sesame, still kind of rubbery, the taste was fine, but we prefer the tofu version, and honestly I can use all the protein I can get!

For people who really need to watch their carbs but love traditional Italian pasta dishes, try pouring the sauce over steamed italian vegies, fresh spinach or even good green lettuce (not iceburg which is usless nutritionally anyway). it sounds weird but it's actually tasty.
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    :smile:
    There are so many questions and misconceptions about shirataki noodles that I thought I'd go ahead and do a post just about them.

I have eaten well over 300 pounds of shirataki noodles since I started my diet, 290 days ago. This website-- and shirataki noodles-- are the reason I've been so successful on my weight loss journey.

Why?

They allow me to be full. I do a lot better on my diet with I'm full.

I often say that "hungry people make lousy dieters."

Thanks to shirataki noodles I haven't been hungry for a single minute of my diet.

"But Chelle, I've never even heard of shirataki noodles..."

Then you've come to the right place.

Shirataki noodles are made from a Japanese yam (that isn't actually a yam, but it IS a vegetable) instead of wheat or rice. They aren't exactly like pasta noodles-- but they're awful durn close-- and they have zero (or close to zero, depending on what brand you buy) calories.

"What? Noodles with zero calories? You can't be serious???"

I'm serious.

They dry the yam and grind it into a powder/flour-- then make noodles from it. I'm sure you can think of lots of vegetables that have practically zero calories-- and the konjac plant (the Japanese yam I mentioned) is one of them.

Depending on how they process them hey come out nearly clear-- or dark brown. I have eaten both kinds and there is very little difference.

They come packaged in water and, technically, are "ready to eat," although I don't care for them straight out of the package.

When you first open the bag you will notice a slightly fishy odor. Get over it. A quick rinse with hot water and the smell will be completely gone.

You can heat them up lots of ways, but there is only one way to cook them, in my opinion-- dry fry them.

Simply spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray and cook them, on high, until they're bone dry. (about 8 minutes) By cooking them in this fashion the end result is much closer to wheat or rice noodles.

"But Chelle, I've HAD shirataki noodles and I didn't like them."

Did you dry-fry them?

I didn't think so.

Go dry fry a batch and then come back and tell me you don't like them. You'll be singing a different tune.

"Chelle, I just found some at the supermarket and they say that they're 40 calories for a half pound bag. Why would you lie to us like that?"

You bought TOFU shirataki noodles. Tofu HAS calories-- shirataki flour does not.

When you buy shirataki noodles that have been blended with tofu you'll find the appearance and texture are closer to wheat pasta-- but when you add tofu it contributes some calories.

Plus-- tofu has to be refrigerated.

So if you have to order shirataki noodles online you'll only be able to get them without the tofu since there is no way to refrigerate them on the way to you.

"Chelle, I just bought some shirataki noodles without tofu blended in and they say you should keep them refrigerated."

I've noticed that some brands say that-- and I won't recommend that you ignore manufacturer's recommendations-- but everything I've read says that shirataki noodles do not have to be refrigerated.

Perhaps refrigeration extends the shelf life-- I don't know.

What I DO know is that I only refrigerate my shirataki noodles if I have room in the 'fridge. Since I've eaten over 300 pounds of them and I'm not dead (yet) I'm going to continue doing what I've been doing.

"Where can I buy these, Chelle? I didn't see them in my grocery store."

The BEST place to buy them is in Asian grocery stores. There are 5 within a half hour of my house-- and I live in rural Georgia. Your next best bet is in a health food or grocery store, and your last resort is online (where you'd have to pay for shipping).

Half pound bags of shirataki noodles cost me $1.29 at the Asian market and $2.00 at Whole Foods.

Half pound bags of tofu shirataki noodles cost me $1.49 at the Asian market, $1.49 at Harris Teeter (grocery store), $2.29 at Publix and $2.49 at Kroger. (You'll find them in the refrigerated produce section with the tofu products.)

"So what do I do with them after I dry fry them?"

Practically anything. I make them too many ways to count. I find that I get on "kicks." I'll make them in various Asian styles for a few weeks, then I'll combine them with crushed tomatoes and come up with various Italian concoctions for awhile, then I'll use various Cuban mojo sauces (all zero or nearly zero calories) and then I'll go back to just Smart Balance, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

I also use them when I make Pho (I love to cook Vietnamese). I also stuff whole chickens with them. They're extremely versatile.

Once you dry fry them they microwave very nicely-- so if you want to take leftovers to work, for lunch, feel free.

I also frequently dry fry them with bean sprouts. They seem to really compliment each other and the bean sprouts get extra yummy once they just start to brown. (The bean sprouts don't reheat in the microwave quite as nicely.)

If you'd like to look at lots of low-calorie recipes (most of them are original to me) you can check out my MFP blog here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/finallychelle/view/my-lo-cal-recipe-collection-195763

There are newer posts in my blog that haven't made it into my list so I would recommend perusing around in there for other tips and recipes.

I'm a fearless and adventurous cook and I've done a pretty fair job of taking the calories out of my recipes without taking out the taste, too.

My cauliflower mashed potato recipe (original to me) has practically made me famous.

Well, sort of.

Here.

On MFP. (Everything's relative.)

I DO get tons of emails about it, though.

So go buy some shirataki noodles and stuff your face-- then watch the pounds just fall off while you do it.

It sounds too good to be true-- but it really IS true.

-theneverhungrydieterchelle

Hello Girls,

Try this site...I think you'll love it!...I get my noodles here...Different types and come right to your door...Once they have your email they send you great deals..these last a long time unopened in the fridge...
    Debbie~~:smile:
    http://www.miraclenoodle.com/default.aspx
  • mbvan
    mbvan Posts: 30
    Options
    bump
  • phard53
    phard53 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're so smart. Thanks for sharing with us!
  • ick002
    ick002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    I love shirataki noodles. I get mine from Whole Foods ranging in price from $1.37 to $4.00 depending on the brand, flavor, or texture, which is a lot cheaper than buying them online. The Spinach Fettuccine shirataki noodles are great as well.
  • jleWings
    jleWings Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I guess my biggest question is what the purpose of dry frying the noodles is. Will they be crunchy on the outside? Does it change the taste? I have rinsed and heated the noodles, then sauteed mushrooms and added them in and it tasted great.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Sounds good
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I guess my biggest question is what the purpose of dry frying the noodles is. Will they be crunchy on the outside? Does it change the taste? I have rinsed and heated the noodles, then sauteed mushrooms and added them in and it tasted great.

If you've got something that works I'd sure stick with it.

Dry frying doesn't make them crunchy at all. They stay just as "limber" as before you cook them. I do it because it makes the sliminess go away which makes them seem a lot more like pasta noodles.

I even dry fry them before I put them in soup or pho.

Like I said, though-- do what works for you!

-Chelle
  • bluecrabbreeze
    Options
    Thank you for the tip on dry frying the noodles- I absolutely love them this way!
  • joyfuldutchgirl
    Options
    bump.

thanks, chelle! i've had shirataki noodles in the past and didn't like them. you give me hope!
  • sweetazcandi524
    sweetazcandi524 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jarrettfam
    jarrettfam Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • becca14u2nv
    becca14u2nv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been curious about these but not brave enough to try. With your recommendations and some of your recipes I just might have to.