Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think I may love you :-)

Our local grocery only had the tofu ones, but I figured I would give them a second chance with you dry fry method.
    I fried til they started to brown just the tiniest bit, then mixed them with sweet and sour chicken, they were delicious! Well, they didn't really have much of any taste, but they certainly weren't bad tasting, and frying them gave them the perfect stir fry texture!
  • bonboncito
    bonboncito Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump.

:love:
  • jdm1726
    jdm1726 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I made these tonight with a very spicy chicken vindaloo. Absolutely amazing! I will be buying these again...even two oz with a serving of vindaloo was enough to keep me going from 4:30 pm to 11:30 pm while I was at work!
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    hmmm may have to look for these...was looking for a pasta alternative. Thank you!!!!!
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I stopped in at our local grocery store to pick some up... and low and behold they carried a new shape - noodles like rigatoni! Woo!

Boiled then dry fried... Still a bit chewy but I don't think you could ever get rid of that.
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I stopped in at our local grocery store to pick some up... and low and behold they carried a new shape - noodles like rigatoni! Woo!

Boiled then dry fried... Still a bit chewy but I don't think you could ever get rid of that.

Since even pasta rigatoni is chewy I can only imagine how chewy shirataki rigatoni would be...!

That said, my favorite noodles are actually the fettuccine tofu shirataki noodles-- and they're a little chewier, too, so go figure...

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I think I may love you :-)

Our local grocery only had the tofu ones, but I figured I would give them a second chance with you dry fry method.
    I fried til they started to brown just the tiniest bit, then mixed them with sweet and sour chicken, they were delicious! Well, they didn't really have much of any taste, but they certainly weren't bad tasting, and frying them gave them the perfect stir fry texture!

We won't share that with my S.O.-- but thanks...! ;o)

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I made these tonight with a very spicy chicken vindaloo. Absolutely amazing! I will be buying these again...even two oz with a serving of vindaloo was enough to keep me going from 4:30 pm to 11:30 pm while I was at work!

Vindaloo is my absolute favorite Indian dish-- and I like it as hot as I can get it.

Yum!!! I'm jealous!

-Chelle
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Since even pasta rigatoni is chewy I can only imagine how chewy shirataki rigatoni would be...!

That said, my favorite noodles are actually the fettuccine tofu shirataki noodles-- and they're a little chewier, too, so go figure...

-Chelle

I really don't mind chewy. Kind of reminds me of thai rice noodles. So far I have only cooked them in asian style dishes, because there are so many other textures in there. I'm not sure how it would be with just a tomato sauce or cheese sauce with nothing else.
  • slara75
    slara75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Chelle,

I noticed in this post you talked about the Shirataki noddles w/o the tofu. But many of your recipes on your blog (which is fabulous by the way) call for the TOFU Shirataki noodles. Can you use either in your recipes? Or is one better than another in some recipes? And if you fry the noodles until their dry how do they get moist again?
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Hi Chelle,

I noticed in this post you talked about the Shirataki noddles w/o the tofu. But many of your recipes on your blog (which is fabulous by the way) call for the TOFU Shirataki noodles. Can you use either in your recipes? Or is one better than another in some recipes? And if you fry the noodles until their dry how do they get moist again?

You can use both kinds interchangeably (I do). I buy whichever is cheaper.

When they're bone dry on the outside they're still moist on the inside. So fear not!

-Chelle
  • cwtyson
    cwtyson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • moorilla
    moorilla Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I finally found these at our local oriental market!! Yesss!!!! My daughter is gone to pick them up as I type. I can't WAIT to have spaghetti for dinner! I may even try them for lunch. I'm pasta starved!! :laugh:

Thanks, Chelle, for sharing all the info. :flowerforyou:
  • moorilla
    moorilla Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm doing something wrong. I can't get rid of the "chew". I dry-fried until they were shriveled to almost nothing and tasted at various stages. No luck. Help.
  • jdm1726
    jdm1726 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Chelle,

Try the Patak's vindaloo paste

http://www.pataks.ca/recipes/chicken-or-pork-vindaloo.asp

This is how I make mine. Makes 8 servings

Generic - Tomato, Diced, 3 1/6 cup, 317 cal (Canned diced tomatoes)
    Patak's - Vindaloo Curry Paste, 240 ml 720 cal
    Generic - Red Onion, Raw, 2 cup (sliced) 96 cal
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, stewed, 6 cup, chopped or diced 1,268 cal
    Oil - Olive, 2 tsp 80 cal

Total: 2481 Calories
    Per Serving: 310 Calories

Put on top of Shirataki noodles!! The Butter Chicken paste is really good too!
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Chelle,

Try the Patak's vindaloo paste

http://www.pataks.ca/recipes/chicken-or-pork-vindaloo.asp

This is how I make mine. Makes 8 servings

Generic - Tomato, Diced, 3 1/6 cup, 317 cal (Canned diced tomatoes)
    Patak's - Vindaloo Curry Paste, 240 ml 720 cal
    Generic - Red Onion, Raw, 2 cup (sliced) 96 cal
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, stewed, 6 cup, chopped or diced 1,268 cal
    Oil - Olive, 2 tsp 80 cal

Total: 2481 Calories
    Per Serving: 310 Calories

Put on top of Shirataki noodles!! The Butter Chicken paste is really good too!

Thanks-- I'll do that! Nice!!!

-Chelle
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Okay, I'm doing something wrong. I can't get rid of the "chew". I dry-fried until they were shriveled to almost nothing and tasted at various stages. No luck. Help.

I'm not sure what to tell you. They'll never be exactly like pasta noodles-- 'cause they're made from a vegetable rather than a grain-- but you should be able to get them reasonably close.

I suspect that either:

1) You're more sensitive to textures than many other shirataki eaters, or

2) Perhaps the brand or noodle style that you've purchased might be a little chewier.

Some people say that they don't like the fettuccine noodles because the wide shape makes them chewier-- yet those are my favorite noodles.

Clearly there's a lot of personal preference at play.

Exactly what brand are you using? I've used about a dozen different kinds, so I'd be curious what you're using.

-Chelle
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    retried them after your post. I liked them more this time, they were very chewy, but less fishy after dry frying. rinsed several times but still would like to get rid of more of the fishy odor and after taste, improvement I don't hate them anymore LOL
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have not been able to find these however I have tried the Konjac Root pills found at GNC. Expensive but well worth the money. Never get hungry while on them. Only problem is I don't always remember to take them. Supposed to take 30 mins before meal or 2 hours after. Still can't remember.
  • sandyfp4h
    sandyfp4h Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump